1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

A barricade in neutral territory will use up the movement points of any unit that goes onto that square.

2. Northen Wolf

Northen Wolf Young Hunter

So, if I choose to build barricade on my territory, Enemy units can't enter it? or can they? If they can, it is rather useless as they will get barricade defense bonus....

3. Bartleby

They can enter it if you leave it undefended, and they do get the defensive bonus.

4. MAS

MAS Deity

If enemy unit, or even non-enemy units, move in the barricade, it uses up all its movement points. Allowing you to bombard them when its your turn.

5. Nightwind90

Nightwind90 Chieftain

The question that has ALWAYS bothered me, and never been answered to my satisfaction:

What determines the expansion of your palace?

6. Bartleby

Welcome to CFC! :banana:

Some (maybe all) of the palace expansions are determined by game events. You get one when you build your second city; one when you defeat your first barbarian; off the top of my head I can't think of another one I'm certain about. Some of the expansions may be random. :dunno:

7. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

I'm pretty sure Wonder builds give you palace extensions as well.

8. darski

darski Regent in Training

i borrowed this image from the new story here

My question is about the river that appears to curve around the corner of the square that is shared with the mountain. (I outlined it in the dark blue for emphasis) I am wondering if enemies on the mountain would lose some of that bonus in light of the river turning the bend just there?

I am just beginning to be aware of river-cross fighting so I'm collecting data on this one.:lol:

9. Bartleby

Do you mean defensive bonus? If you attacke an enemy on the mountain they have a defensive bonus from the mountain and they'll have an extra bonus because you're attacking over a river. If they attack you from the mountain, you'll have a defensive bonus because of the river, but the mountain makes no difference.

edit: but I'm not sure that the tile SE of the mountain is truly "across" the river since the river appears to originate in that tile. I sometimes get an unpleasant surprise when I found a city that I think is on a river and it turns out not to be.

10. darski

Well there yah go! In my little pea brain, I had some idea that attacking from a mountain gave you an offensive bonus.

So this would be a bad location offensively for this civ since I know that the AI loves to get on those mountains beside a city.

I am still trying to understand all of this minutae of city placement and combat conditions... <<<sigh>>>

thank you for your prompt reply.

11. bambam190

bambam190 Chieftain

I've wondered this one too, I sometimes get a Palace expansion when I have a city revolting.

Also is there a max on how big the Palace can get? every time I think I have hit the last possible improvment, the come out with more trees or higher domes.

12. Nightwind90

Nightwind90 Chieftain

I've found the maxium, that's in one of the many files that can be edited

The limit is the same as the number of "parts" conveniently. And I can't think of it while writing here. Center + 3 levels + land + trees + tower (x2) + tower top (2x) + butresses (2x) + ornate front piece... 13? That'll do as a starting estimate?

May I start a topic in the technical forum with a request of information from the modding forum linking to it?

13. NickyH

NickyH Bismarck with lipstick…

The mountain above: I would right-click the mountain to see if it gets a gold bonus from being next to a river. In that case, the river must run between the tile where the settler stands and the mountain. If there is no gold bonus from the mountain tile, there's no river between the settler and the mountain.

14. darski

I didn't know about this. it isn't my game so I can't check as you suggest. I will try it in a game of my own though.

15. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

The happiness of the people. Not worth worry about.

16. MAS

MAS Deity

I don't know the exact mechanics, but there are more than one thing that can trigger it.

The ones I'm aware of:

#1 The first time you bust a barbarian camp is good for your first palace expansion.
    #2 The happiness of your people also appears to influence it.

17. darski

I was playing a game with the sneaky Abe and something strange happened. Well I thought it was strange.

I started trying a NOW game but it went nowhere so I gave that up. At one point I was at war (after I stopped the NOW) with the Americans and the Russians - they started it.

On one turn the Yanks signed a peace treaty and immediately broke it on the very next IBT. Later in the game, I was trying to get an MA going against someone and not one of the others would even give me the time of day. it was as if my rep had been trashed. I had not done anything to deserve a rep hit but I wondered if the American trashing of the peace treaty was somehow blamed on me?

Does anyone else have a similar story?

18. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

I don't do MA's, but it is not uncommon for the AI to make a peace deal and break it right away.

19. matt k

matt k Chieftain

How do you add resources?

20. D0NIMATRIX

D0NIMATRIX Full of drivel

If you want to add them to the map, just go to the top of the editor (I assume you know how to open the editor) where there's the bundle of hay and select the one you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.