Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the computer the source of all my problems or was that comment directed towards something completely different?

No, thats my signature. That was not answer to your question, but known fact of modern world.

Why does my airplanes get injured? I've been moving some fighters and bombers around to other cities, but they keep getting injured, and I don't understand why. I figure that enemy civs have been bombing my cities, but some of them I moved to cities that didn't get bombed. And some fighters have completely disappeared after I've moved them. What's going on?

Oh yeah, then I have a question about coastal fortress. When I used to play vanilla, it has happened a couple of times that the fortresses has bombed passing enemy boats. But this has never happened to me in Conquests. So what do the coastal fortresses do?

I'm playing at the warlord level with a Firaxis vanilla Civ3. I have this horrible suspicion that something has been missed because I'm frequently being massacred by an AI - usually Egypt.

I've done a lot of experimenting: lots of wonders one game, not so many the next or huge army or smaller, lots of workers or not, huge science investment or less, massive irrigation/mines or less but at some point a war starts and I'm swamped.

The AI has much greater scientific advances, more advanced units, and hordes of units. After seemingly playing it close I'm buried. When the game analysis is run after the dust settles my country is often pretty close, once even leading, in my score. Yet there was no doubt I was going to lose.

So. I'm thnking that some large piece of the puzzle has gone missing. I've done a lot of reading on this excellent site but nothing jumps out at me. I seem to be at some critical disadvantage and can't figure it out.

Aaargghhhh - I hate this game but will be starting a new one in about ten minutes!

Junebug

Best is to post the save over here, so others can take a look at it and give you feedback.

Oh yeah, then I have a question about coastal fortress. When I used to play vanilla, it has happened a couple of times that the fortresses has bombed passing enemy boats. But this has never happened to me in Conquests. So what do the coastal fortresses do?

I only know part of the answer, I'm not sure about the aircraft damage issue. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will answer that.

I found this using the search function regarding coastal fortresses:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=4577776&postcount=10:

Hope that answers that. They're essentially useless.

I believe ship bombardment targets airplanes, and can actually be lethal. As far as them disappearing, I've had units disappear too, it may be file corruption. Since a save is basically lots of 1's and 0's, is it hard to believe some might flip flop at random?

Why do my airplanes get injured? I've been moving some fighters and bombers around to other cities, but they keep getting injured, and I don't understand why.

Have your units been intercepted by other aircraft or flown over enemy flak or modern ships? Those attacks often result in the death of the attacking aircraft, but a fair percentage of the time they only do damage. Aircraft damage is repaired like that for other units: One turn of rest heals one point of damage. Airports act like air unit barracks; that is, they produce veteran air units (less likely to die from attacks) and they heal air units completely after one inactive turn.

In addition to the ship bombardment explained by Overseer, I can't think of any other way to damage air units.

After hours of messing around with civ 3 conquest (it showed me in main screen, build barricade and barricade etc. instead of new world and world). I think i got it patched

My civ3conquest main menu shows 1.22 for patch, on my laptop(that is dead atm) I had 1.22f shown as a game version.
EDIT is there even such a game version? If so my pedia was bugged before too :(
I could load one of the SG's that I downloaded, but question is, can others load my saves?

1.22 is the most recent patch for Conquests. 1.29f is the most updated vanilla has ever gotten.

"The Bank".

There is no financial advantage to the AI, that I know of. Which one would get the money?

If you cash-rush an improvement, you pay "The Bank". "The Bank" would be a good thing to control. :)

"The Bank".

There is no financial advantage to the AI, that I know of. Which one would get the money?

If you cash-rush an improvement, you pay "The Bank". "The Bank" would be a good thing to control. :)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but I wondered this as well - but when you sell an improvement (for example, a coal plant), who buys it and who pays for it?

It would make sense that the AI actually gives cash and receives the improvement, but - although I doubted this, I wonder if it is so.

It is bought by the same people who receive the money when you cash rush something - then they demolish the building and put up luxury condominiums :).

@Sweetchuck: You can see we are joking around. There is NO Bank and nobody in the game directly benefits (besides you) when you buy or sell/disband an improvement/unit. You cannot trade improvements with other civs.

Don't think Real World.........It's still just a game (I know....Sacrilegious talk). Think of the game like Monopoly's Banker.........The fictious Civ "Banker" "owns" an unlimited amount of City Improvements/Units but doesn't participate in the game. :)

@Sweetchuck: You can see we are joking around. There is NO Bank and nobody in the game directly benefits (besides you) when you buy or sell/disband an improvement/unit. You cannot trade improvements with other civs.

Don't think Real World.........It's still just a game (I know....Sacrilegious talk). Think of the game like Monopoly's Banker.........The fictious Civ "Banker" "owns" an unlimited amount of City Improvements/Units but doesn't participate in the game. :)

Yeah, I figured - but it was always something I wondered.

Like when Montezuma says "I sacrifice 50 warriors in your honor", I figure he really doesn't, but maybe.......

:lol:

Yeah, Sid Meier does have a sense of humor..........Man, I miss those Elvis et al video clips from Civ 2. :)

Come on, be creative. It's not like the player owns every single piece of gold in his own empire. When you cash rush something it's like "hey instead of building that library in 100-200 years, how about I pay you peons a bunch of gold from the treasury to get it done in next 10 years?" Selling an improvement is like telling the populace: "hey my gracious government will give you a bunch of incredibly old building materials and public land for whatever you want. Go forth and scrounge!" This is why I think selling improvements only gives you a small pittance of gold. Either that or you just sold a public building to some private enterprise who just completely takes advantage of you and then immediately screws up its function so you never see the benefit of it again until you build it from scratch. :rolleyes:

Anyway, there are lots of possible explanations for the mechanic, even if it does operate just like a big phantom bank set up by extra terrestrials. But I choose to see those aspects of civ as interacting with the populace of the city who magically has it own revenue that the game doesn't keep track of. Though I can tell you that I cash rush more often than I sell improvements so those city officials must be rolling in the :gold:, not to mention all that corruption they get!

Come on, be creative.
Hey, if you want to fantasize about the game.......fine with me. I know that area is popular with a ton of players. :goodjob:

My game creativity is all about creating ways (and there are plenty yet to discover) to get the Highest Score and Fastest Finish amongst the Humans who play this game. :)

I have Civilization 3 Complete and I was wondering how to get folders into the save game menu so all the saves aren't in one gigantic list. I tried going into C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Saves and adding folders there, but they don't appear in the game.

Anyone know how to do that?

EDIT: Never mind, I found the right folder :)

On abandoning cities: Do you ever get a settler? I'm thinking of a palace jump, but my capital is on pretty productive land. Everytime I try abaondon city, all I get is rubble, but no settler. I'm playing Conquests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom