Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admits. What is so bad in building defense? AI fails to attack you with defense or without it... Moving line of spearmen/defense units near border cities keeps AI away... And afterall, what other unit could crush tanks in this low shield costs?

Good point, but I have never seen the RNG go in your favor before...

I am wondering which graphic file I have to remove to take away that killing scene of disbanded units?

I know for a fact that when Canada disbands an infantry/other unit it does not kill every member of that unit.

Why did it seem like a good idea to kill old units?:crazyeye:

No deletion is necessary. You simply go into the .INI file found in every unit folder and find "disband =" or something like that under animations. You can either delete the file name beside it or, for example, use the kneel or some other anim in its place.

You have to do it this way (as opposed to deleting the actual .flc file) if you want to keep the death animation. (Unless the unit comes w/ a specific disband anim in which case this problem would probably have never been brought up in the first place.)

Are you sure you could afford all your aircraft? if your money runs out they will remove units.

Even so, you only lose 1 unit or improvement per turn. And the game tells you what was disbanded. Very few players dip into negative cash flow for long. For me, I chalk disappearing units up to "civ3 weirdness", and move on.

Nope, I never go minus. I think I had ca 2000 gold when this happened. "Civ3 weirdness"? What other things fall under that category?

if anyone admits to building defensive units they are laughed out of the forums so it is not surprising that no one admits this.

Now you make it sound as if the forum is undervaluing defensive units. I still think they are overvalued.

Never building defensive units is a big statement, they do have their purposes, but those are specific, for certain circumstances.
Defending a stack of bombard units is one of those specific reasons. But they will still make up a small portion of your total military.

So my point is:

But this is going to require a lot of defensive units to keep those things safe if they have to be "next to" to do anything... sorry that is just a dumb thing to have done.

This statement is just untrue.
You still only need a few defensive units.

For one thing the AI almost never uses amphibious units in un-modded Civ3. After RRs the lack of need for costal defenses is even more apparent.

"Civ3 weirdness" is something that just seems odd while playing the game. One of your small, recently captured towns flips, suddenly it is defended better than it was the first time you grabbed it. Or you have a red-lined cav unit that just grabbed a city, your opponent has a healthy MDI right beside the town, and on the IBT he keels over due to lack of unit support causing disbandment. Or, you attack a galley with a frigate, the galley wins! Civ3 weirdness, all.

I need help with ViSa 3.25:

Whenever I start a game, it crashes! I'm using Warlords 2.08. Any ideas?

Nothing strange about them getting their best defensive unit in a town that just flipped to them, that is the norm.

I need help with ViSa 3.25:

Whenever I start a game, it crashes! I'm using Warlords 2.08. Any ideas?

Welcome to CFC, chess!

Based on the part that I've underlined, I'm guessing that you'll have more luck asking that question in the Civ 4 fora. This is the Civ 3 area. I'm not very familiar with the Civ 4 fora, but I'd start with Civ 4 - Technical Support.

Good luck finding the answer.

Welcome to CFC, chess!

Based on the part that I've underlined, I'm guessing that you'll have more luck asking that question in the Civ 4 fora. This is the Civ 3 area. I'm not very familiar with the Civ 4 fora, but I'd start with Civ 4 - Technical Support.

Good luck finding the answer.

thanks,

i guess asking my civ 4 question on the civ 4 forum would be a start :lol:

Nothing strange about them getting their best defensive unit in a town that just flipped to them, that is the norm.

True, but how about two of their best defenders, before drafting is possible? The AI must get a chance to rush two units in one turn.

There's no question that the AI cheats. :mad:

For example if you attack an AI town greater than 1, and the AI is under Despotism, there's a good chance that the AI will pop-rush a defensive unit DURING YOUR TURN, possibly reducing the town size to 1. You win the battle thinking you are capturing a town......and you end up with a pile of rubble!! :eek: :lol:

I could not find my note on the process as I am on my backup PC today. I have seen that they are are to rush a unit.

There's no question that the AI cheats. :mad:

For example if you attack an AI town greater than 1, and the AI is under Despotism, there's a good chance that the AI will pop-rush a defensive unit DURING YOUR TURN, possibly reducing the town size to 1. You win the battle thinking you are capturing a town......and you end up with a pile of rubble!! :eek: :lol:

I've seen this phenomenon too. On lower levels, (Chieftan-Regent) I'm liable to gift them a gov't (Monarchy or Republic) before declaring war if I'm going to be keeping their cities. It always better to go against a civ in anarchy too. On higher levels the computer plays better and I haven't had any such issues yet.

I just had this happen to me. I walked up to a (size 1) city with 1 warrior and all of a sudden a spear and two warriors were there while I was having my turn.

Grrrrrrr.

How do you know there was not two warriors there to start? You would need to have a spy and investigate the town to know for sure. We already know they can rush a spear.

I've seen this phenomenon too. On lower levels, (Chieftan-Regent) I'm liable to gift them a gov't (Monarchy or Republic) before declaring war if I'm going to be keeping their cities. It always better to go against a civ in anarchy too...
Yes EXACTLY!..........This is another example of the AI cheating! (Viz. Changing Governments on my turn.) .......BUT, we can use this AI cheat to our advantage.

I made the mistake recently of attacking an AI in Despotism..........instead of giving him "The Republic" Tech first.........then he would have immediately gone into Anarchy........AND, would not have been able to Pop-Rush and thus reduce his city size to 1!!!! ;)

You can still rush units in anarchy, you just have use something to disband for the shields.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom