Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The great thing about Communism is that you get 3 cities with zero corruption, the Capital, the Secret Police HQ city, and the Forbidden Palace city. The final 2 require Police Stations and Court Houses. This means that you can build the FP, and then once you discover Coal, you can build the Iron Works and Secret Police HQ in the same city, which is normally a 3/turn Army factory. Of course you might have to fight a war to be able to build a city with Iron and Coal.

I guess that I still do not find Communism alll that attractive or interesting. I do not think that the programmers have any idea of exactly how bad things got with respect to corruption in Russia, or what is going on in China.

The not so great thing about communism is that you turn a zero corruption capitol into a communal corruption city. Your turn your top core cities in second or third ring corruption.

IOW you spread corruption form places that don't matter to place that do matter. You have to build all those courts, police stations and that HQ. No thanks. Oh I forgo you have to research an optional tech and switch govs.

I have been playing with the editor a bit, and have gotten corruption down to a point where it is an irritant, not a teeth gnashing problem. However, I do have to do some building in every city to do so. However, that way, the AI has to do the same thing or have problems.

Communism is okay in the late game if you are capturing an enemies core cities, which are already developed. I find the corruption model unrealistic at best, but then so is the whole corruption thing, regardless of government. I can hardly see real-life Seattle as 90% corrupt because it is 3000+ miles from it's capital. In the game, Communism is a fall-back to when a Republic fails due to unmitigated war weariness, and mostly a desperation ploy to save a game you would otherwise lose. The elite don't use it because they have already won by the time it is available, but for the rest of us, it is an option.

Can I type in more leader names for civilizations? Would it hurt my scoring/game?

The not so great thing about communism is that you turn a zero corruption capitol into a communal corruption city. Your turn your top core cities in second or third ring corruption.

No, the capital doesn't have any corruption in Communism.

No, the capital doesn't have any corruption in Communism.

It should as it is spread to all. I am pretty sure I had some in even the capitol, it is just a matter of having a large enough empire to cause some to go to all the core.

The top 5 cities that had nearly no corruption end up with some in the few games I tried it. This may cause some shiled build to no longer be on the proper break and cost an extra turn to complete.

The other thing I dislike is that you now have a bunch of town that can net enough shields to build thing. Now you are spending shields and paying up keep. I would prefer to have the normal total corruption and not use the town for anything bu farming or worker/settlers.

You would need to check in the Creation and Customization Forum. You will need to look for mods that are in .bic format for Vanilla. If the mod is in .bix format, it is for Play the World, and if in .biq format it is for Conquests.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Okay. I was just wondering if there were any that someone could recommend, because it's somewhat frustrating to go through and look through every one when they're almost all for Conquests.

It should as it is spread to all. I am pretty sure I had some in even the capitol, it is just a matter of having a large enough empire to cause some to go to all the core.

The top 5 cities that had nearly no corruption end up with some in the few games I tried it. This may cause some shiled build to no longer be on the proper break and cost an extra turn to complete.

The other thing I dislike is that you now have a bunch of town that can net enough shields to build thing. Now you are spending shields and paying up keep. I would prefer to have the normal total corruption and not use the town for anything bu farming or worker/settlers.

I've used Communism multiple times and have never had corruption in the captial. If you have a screenshot of it I'd like to see it.

I just loaded up a couple of saves from previous games that I used Communism in, one of them I controlled 53% of the world and the other I had 27% (both Large Pangea), neither had ANY corruption in the capital. I play Complete, maybe Communism had corruption in the capital in PTW or C3?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have corruption at all.

Question: Why am I getting an error in my game? I've deleted every aspect of the game after the early middle ages (techs, units, buildings, etc) without adding any new graphics or anything. It says that there is an ANIMNAME line missing in the pediaicons.txt file, but when I look, they're all complete.

^ I disagree. If you revolt during the interturn, after getting a new tech, you have already received your commerce for that interturn, but the game has not yet gone through your towns, producing food and shields. When it does go through the towns, they will be at 100% corruption, and you will not get any new shields added to the production boxes. From carefully microing dozens of anarchy periods, I am pretty certain that this theory matches up with what happens in practice.

A build will finish during anarchy (and even during city revolt) under exactly the same situation as under any other government; the production box must be full after the game has done the shield-harvesting phase of the interturn. Of course, during anarchy and revolts, you get 0 shields net during shield harvesting, but there are other ways of making the shield box full: rush shields into the box (anarchy allows neither whipping or buying, but that still leaves chopping, leader rushing, disbanding and recycling), reduce the size of the shield box by changing the build, or have a full box left over from the turn before (i.e. a worker or settler unbuilt because there was insufficient population).

Thanks, PaperBeetle. I wonder if it could be something as simple as the last thing you suggest (viz. population; the most recent instance I recall involved a worker build). However I'm usually careful not to accumulate shields faster than than I can grow. The food penalty is the same for Despotism and Anarchy, isn't it? :confused:

New to Civ3. Still learning the ropes anew from civ2.

I have had a culture victory but have played on to get a feel of other aspects of the game. I built the united nations but wasn't ready to take the vote at the time it offered it to me. Can I get it to call a vote now? and if so how?

Thanks

Ronan

I have a question about wonders starting GA. I started a new game and randomly got Japan. I built Szun Tzus with a SGL i got but there was no GA. So i was wondering why, is it because i rushed the wonder?

I am building the Knights Templar anyway, so this should start the GA in about 12 Turns anyway (It´s peace time, and i have no real reason starting a war and have a weak military as i was pumping settlers an workers).

sure, I understand I can't get a victory just wanted to play the UN vote to get a handle on how it will play out. Likewise I will be able to launch spaceship launch in about 20 more turns. After that I will have some fun with the army.

This is just a learning game for me on Chiefdom with two of the AI's removed to give me more growing room so I can try out different aspects of the game, particularly the new ones like culture and the UN victory routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom