Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there no other way to find out...I mean, by clues in-game?

Of course, if you didn't have civ assist and wanted to know, you could always just forest it and cut it anyway... :rolleyes:
Interesting points being made here!

I don't think there are any ways to know whether the AI has chopped the tile, except by doing your own chop or checking CA II. (Unless you have a unit watching the AI's action.....pretty unlikely.)

The premise of Civ Assist II is that the information it supplies could theoretically be calculated manually. There must be a flag/indicator that shows a tile has had its 10-shield forest bonus collected.........But, I doubt the flag would show which civ collected the bonus. However, in the scheme of things, this knowledge is not going to determine the outcome of the game. But in a competitive game, it's a bit of a bummer planting & chopping a forest and then finding out the bonus has already been collected! :eek: (And maybe then having to re-irrigate/re-mine the tile....to return it to normal production.)

The biggest acceptable exploit in the HOF, which I fully support, is being allowed to know the Domination Limit at the start of the game. The reason this is so necessary is to allow people to accept only high DL maps from MapFinder for an attempt at a High-Scoring Histographic Victory. (Viz. Win in 2050AD.)

As long as all the competitors play by the same rules, including (debatable) exploits & the Honor system, the Playing Field is level. :cool:

...I like to micromanage, but not that much, and especially not if I'm winning anyway (ie your circumstance in the game shown). However, I guess if it's for the HOF and GOTM then that's understandable. ;)
Agreed. Playing in the HOF is like playing Poker holding a Royal Flush: You know you're going to win the game but how much you win (viz. your final score or finish date) depends on how you play the game. The fun for me is the reward against ones peers (viz. placement in the HOF Table) for a game played as well as you can, every turn! :)

It's okay to be a Civ Fanatic at this site, no? ;)

Interesting points being made here!

I don't think there are any ways to know whether the AI has chopped the tile, except by doing your own chop or checking CA II. (Unless you have a unit watching the AI's action.....pretty unlikely.)

The premise of Civ Assist II is that the information it supplies could theoretically be calculated manually. There must be a flag/indicator that shows a tile has had its 10-shield forest bonus collected.........But, I doubt the flag would show which civ collected the bonus. However, in the scheme of things, this knowledge is not going to determine the outcome of the game. But in a competitive game, it's a bit of a bummer planting & chopping a forest and then finding out the bonus has already been collected! :eek: (And maybe then having to re-irrigate/re-mine the tile....to return it to normal production.)

The biggest acceptable exploit in the HOF, which I fully support, is being allowed to know the Domination Limit at the start of the game. The reason this is so necessary is to allow people to accept only high DL maps from MapFinder for an attempt at a High-Scoring Histographic Victory. (Viz. Win in 2050AD.)

As long as all the competitors play by the same rules, including (debatable) exploits & the Honor system, the Playing Field is level. :cool:

Agreed. Playing in the HOF is like playing Poker holding a Royal Flush: You know you're going to win the game but how much you win (viz. your final score or finish date) depends on how you play the game. The fun for me is the reward against ones peers (viz. placement in the HOF Table) for a game played as well as you can, every turn! :)

It's okay to be a Civ Fanatic at this site, no? ;)

wow...have you ever held a Royal Flush???? (I haven't :()
That makes me wonder whether I should try a HOF game or not...the scores are just waaaaay too high!!!

I'm pretty sure all of us are Civ Fanatics in some way, or fashion.

Ok, here's a question: Disbanding an (empty) army gives you 100 shields...ok, so does a full army give you more? And if it does, does an army with 4 units in it (Pentagon) give you even more?

Edit: as of now I am in the top 2,000 of all civ fanatics posters (I have the 2000th most posts)

A full army does not give more shields. A four unit army, when disbanded, gives only 100 shields, just like an empty army. Which is why disbanding one is a waste.

It's not a waste if you need a more updated army, but are at your limit of armies...

wow...have you ever held a Royal Flush???? (I haven't :() )
Actually........No.

...That makes me wonder whether I should try a HOF game or not...the scores are just waaaaay too high!!!...
If you take a good look at most of the HOF Tables (Lists), you'll find the top criteria is actually the Game End-Date, not the Score. (Except as a tiebreaker.)
(Viz. The Earliest Date you can win by Conquest or Domination or Spaceship or Diplomacy or 20K Culture or 100K Culture........Only the Histographic Victory is concerned with score because the end-date is fixed at 2050 AD.) :)

The Earliest Date you can win by Conquest or Domination or Spaceship or Diplomacy or 20K Culture or 100K Culture.

Although it would be good to keep in mind that ROP-rape, false gpt agreement (declaring war before you pay a cent etc) is allowed in HOFs, so if you're not inclined to such tactics...HOF is probably not for you.

Unless you manage to beat the present dates without using them :goodjob:

Although it would be good to keep in mind that ROP-rape, false gpt agreement (declaring war before you pay a cent etc) is allowed in HOFs, so if you're not inclined to such tactics...HOF is probably not for you.
I don't use such tactics and I have a fair few games in the current tables.

I'm not trying to sell the HOF but I'd just like to point out that I took a look a few years ago thinking that beating any of the dates would be way beyond me. I was very surprised at some of the tables and started submitting games. You might find the same thing if you look now! It's also helped me improve my game in VCs that I wasn't so strong with.

...I have a fair few games in the current tables...
That's the understatement of the day!

With the exception of 5 other players, you have over 3 TIMES as many games in the HOF Tables as anybody else! Nice going Tone! :goodjob: :goodjob:

Quick question on reputation. I'm wanting to help out another civ that's at war with a much stronger one. Seems like you take a rep hit if the civ gets killed off before a trade deal is complete, but how about if you gift a resource for 20 turns and ask for nothing in return? Do you still take a rep hit if they don't last that long?

I do believe so, but I'm not certain myself.

Ok I got a question. Forests are 25% defence bonus, right? Does that also include the grassland at the bottom? or is it 25%+10% defensive bonnus?

Quick question on reputation. I'm wanting to help out another civ that's at war with a much stronger one. Seems like you take a rep hit if the civ gets killed off before a trade deal is complete, but how about if you gift a resource for 20 turns and ask for nothing in return? Do you still take a rep hit if they don't last that long?

I do believe so, but I'm not certain myself.
I can confirm that you do take a rep hit. An annoying aspect of the game IMO, but I can see why it happens.

@Aceman: I think that the forest gives 25%, not 25%+10% but I'm not certain on this one.

I can confirm that you do take a rep hit. An annoying aspect of the game IMO, but I can see why it happens.

Well, Liz just bit the dust without much help from me. I can't see why it happens. I'd understand if I were getting something of value from her in return for my end of the bargain, but it would have been a straight up gift on a per turn basis.

I just ended up giving her some lump sum gold, but it didn't seem to help. :( She and Korea were on another continent and he appears to be a runaway civ, so I wanted to slow him down.

Thanks for your replies, Tone and psweetman!!!

Just to say that I don't agree with the result but the programme doesn't appear to register the difference between trade, gifts and tribute (apart from in AI attitude). What I meant therefore is that I can understand the result based upon how I see the decision making process going on behind the game but I agree that trading and gifting should be treated differently when it come to rep hits.

Is there any way that I can change the preference of the AI's war government (since they usually choose Fascism, which is not good.)? :)

What's the point of the Jaguar warrior's requirement of Warrior code? Aztecs start with warrior code anyway. Why was the condition added in Conquests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom