Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Adder

Adder Chieftain

Does the serfdom civic affect the indian fast workers?

2. Maverick_VII

Maverick_VII Chieftain

I can't figure out how this works at all, and there's nothing in the manual. Can anyone help me out?

3. gippy

gippy Chieftain

Is that right? I was wondering about this myself, actually.
    Doesn't domination require a certain percentage of the population _and_ a certain percent of the world landmass? So, if it's early enough that there's still lots of world left unsettled, or if you're burning cities rather than capturing them, it seems that you could have a conquest rather than a domination.

Is that right?

4. gippy

gippy Chieftain

That confused me at first too. You need x temples of that religion somewhere in your empire before you can build one 2nd level building. In your case, you'd need three buddhist temples (and, as you say, one of them has to be in the city in question) before you can build a buddhist stupa. Three more before the second stupa.

They're important buildings too - key for a cultural victory.

Courthouses work the same with the forbidden palace. Theatres and the Globe too.

The exact number required probably varies with game speed, and perhaps map size and difficulty as well.

5. Civgeek

Civgeek Warlord

Anybody know why those production icons (small thumbnails that show-up on the right-hand side of the screen each turn showing what completed construction this turn; click on them and you go to the city that built it) sometimes disappear? I've had them showing-up fine, then at some point, they just stop appearing for the rest of the game.

6. Great_Scott

Great_Scott aka Cottus Arci

_and_ Yes you're right there... personally I never go for the quick kill, I prefer to play right through, so yeah.. it is possible to achieve Conquest over domination...

7. bobrath

bobrath Emperor

That makes me wonder then...

Why not set domination to be based soley on "controlling at least xx% of the world's land mass"?

And then leave conquest to be the total destruction that it is now.

Sure that would leave out the case where your cities are all such mammoth mounds of people that you've done gone and over-populated the earth... but I'm not sure I'd even care about a granary victory...:king:

8. loydoy

loydoy Chieftain

sorry if this has been asked before bit lost but can anyone tell me how to load from an autosave it keeps crashing

9. Civgeek

Civgeek Warlord

Anybody seen this before? Know what it means?

Attached Files:

10. Samson

Samson Deity

Just like you load a normal save. They are stored in the auto directory that your normal saves are in. So in single player they are in My Documents\My Games\Civilization 4\Saves\single\auto

11. Teshik

Teshik Chieftain

Question regarding the founding of Holy Cities.
    I previously thought they were found at a random city when the tech is discovered. But I found if I have two or more cities by the time I get the necessary tech, the holy city never is identical with my capital. So, are there any factors influencing this? The smallest/tallest city, cities with much/few culture, scientific output, capital automatically forbidden, ...?

12. p dandy

p dandy Prince

Does the AI know how to use transports effectively to flank you. I noticed they just have a bunch of boats hanging around far off places in my civ but they never try to land anything.

13. lost_civantares

lost_civantares [Insert Title]

As far as I can tell, it is totally random.

14. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Short answer, you have production that is being carried over from what you are working on now and you have a bonus on what you are working on now that has to be removed from the carried over production

more detail see:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=141153

15. lost_civantares

lost_civantares [Insert Title]

That's exactly what I was about to post, but than I saw that it as a negitive, not a positive like what I've seen in other posts.

16. Samson

Samson Deity

Can you pillage (or otherwise destroy terrain improvements) with fixed wing aircraft? Do helecoptors use all their movement points unloading from a ship? Anyone done any industrial / modern age pillaging and fancy giving pointers?

17. rainmaker

rainmaker Warlord

Is there a way to find out what difficulty level a game is that you are playing?

I'll tell you why I ask. All of a sudden a game I think I started on chiefton is a lot more difficult. I have played a couple of games at that level and won fairly easily. This was to be my last before I moved up to warior. I'm thinking maybe I'm on noble because I didn't cnange the level in the custom game menu. Of cause I may also be stuck on stupid or the 1.09 patch changed things.

Ahyway, I'll keep playing but in the end I want to be sure what level I lost or won on.

18. The Condor

The Condor On an excellent adventure

Hi, I paused my game and don't know how to unpause. I would like to know how to pause and unpause please. Sorry, I did not read all eighteen pages so I don't know if it has already been adressed. Thanks.

19. jeannie

jeannie Warlord

Earlier in this thread, I read that you hit the pause/break key to pause the game, and then hit that same key again to un-pause it. I won't swear that this works, since I've never used the 'pause' feature myself, but it's somewhere in the first 17 pages of this thread!

20. seasmath

seasmath Bolos!

Those randomly disappear if you have the "Right-Click Menu" option checked.