1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - General Discussions' started by Ginger_Ale, Sep 25, 2008.

1. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

Send out scouts. If there is a seasoned scout in your immigration queue that's great but otherwise buy 50 horses and equip one of your colonists. One scout is essential but two or three would be better still. Explore the map and meet the natives. The chiefs will give you money and there are burial grounds and ancient ruins to loot.

Meanwhile build up your colony, a stockade and a dock first then a production building such as a Weaver's Shop (depending on what resources you have available in your colony). If you put a statesman in your town hall your territory will expand and if you build a church it will increase the supply of immigrants. Send your ship back to Europe with raw materials to sell, and collect those immigrants who wish to go to America.

Don't neglect your defences though, buy a cannon when you can afford it or ask your King for help. Put your soldier to work in your colony but retain his guns in case you need them for defense. Generally though you should have a long period of peace during which you can develop your colonies.

2. civnoob7

civnoob7 Chieftain

How to build dock, stockade, Weaver's Shop and other items. When i click on the settlement name it display the icons for items to build, but if i click on the 'dock' icon, for example, it doesn't build it, but display information about the item in the right corner which contain, if i am not wrong, the number of turns i have to accomplish before i am able to build this item. For 'dock' it show 25 turns which i already have done.

3. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

You can only build one building at a time, a dock takes 25 turns to build. You can speed this up by putting a colonist to work in the Carpenter's Shop as a carpenter but that requires lumber, which you can get by having another colonist work as a lumberjack. However in the early stages of the game you are unlikely to have colonists to spare to perform these jobs.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  4. Bernard1940

Bernard1940 Chieftain

I just bought the game on steam and started my first game.
    For some reason I am unable to add more than 4 colonists in one of my cities (could also be the case for the iother cities, this is the first city where I wanted to do this). Is this normal? There are way more slots for colonists in the city. Could it be because the city is starving (losing 6 food every turn)? They are not literally starving though. I make sure they have enough food through transport.

5. jrregan

jrregan Chieftain

Correct. You need to fiddle with the food amount until colonist are allowed to enter the city. Then you need to make sure that there is sufficient food to keep the colonist fed to produce any output for that turn. I believe that the colonist will be ejected BEFORE they produce any hammers, etc if there isn't sufficient food. Usually I just switch a non-food heavy selection to a food heavy selection, join the citizen to the city, then readjust the plot's to work.

Have fun! Great game, but scary ending. I've lost more then won. Damn Kings!