1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - General Discussions' started by Ginger_Ale, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

Civilization IV: Colonization Quick Answers / “Newbie” Questions

In order to handle the large number of posts in this forum, we have created this thread as a place to ask simple or straightforward questions so that you can get an answer quickly. Although you might want to read through the Colonization Info Center or other recent posts first, this is completely optional.

Feel free to just ask your question, regardless of whether it’s been asked before!

This should also serve as a good reference for new players to learn the basics. :)

2. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Is Civilization IV required to play Colonization?

No. It's a stand-alone game.

3. Reveilled

Reveilled Chieftain

Does the Steam version of the game come bundled with SecuROM?

4. Phobic

Phobic Chieftain

No. Steam has its own verification check. But what is worse? Steam or Securom?!

5. Reveilled

Reveilled Chieftain

For this incarnation of SecuROM, who knows, but given everything Steam ever does to your system, and the serious ways SecuROM can mess with your system, I reckon that one's a no-brainer.

It's a little off topic, too.

Thanks for the answer, though. :)

6. ironclad

ironclad Chieftain

Does having an army cost you anything? Do the soldier require food or gold? Does having a colonist not join a colony mean it is still taking up resources?

7. Infantry#14

Infantry#14 Chieftain

Do colonies have to side with their mother nations in war? For example if you play as english colony, if your mother nation declares war on france, are you automatically at war with france and its colonies?

8. Ellestar

Ellestar Chieftain

No, soldiers don't have any upkeep. However, you need to generate extra liberty bells in cities so to start a revolution - each soldier is counted as if he has 0% rebel sentiment (cannons and ships are not counted).

9. Zakouski

Zakouski Chieftain

Yes (you ARE part of the nation until revolution), and you can also initiate a war on another nation, or indian tribe, by yourself.

10. jonta

jonta Chieftain

But does that ever happen ? Dont thing your AI nation will infact declare war on
    another AI nation, but an AI nation may delare war on you if you dont please em well.

11. stbabylon

stbabylon Chieftain

So, what we do is let 4 soldiers work in the city they're protecting till they're needed :goodjob:

Once they're needed, they pick up arms. This let's you go for WoI sooner and saver (less liberty bells needed, smaller REF army).

12. svensken

svensken Chieftain

If one of my cities is attacked, do the colonists take up arms automatically (assuming that there are enough guns)?

What I want to know is if I need to have soldiers guarding my cities, or if I can let the soldiers work in the city and just have the weapons in reserve.

13. Gambino

Gambino Chieftain

What is Europe Victory?

14. Berba

Berba Chieftain

To make a boring question more funny:

"When you arrived at the continent, you began to walk, it took a year or two, and finally you arrived to Logan and the Great Iquois:"

1. Logan had 1 settlement he had just started with building up he's mighty Settlment- Civilization- Power.

2. Logan had 10 settlements, why?, because he haved lived on the continent for years...

Witch of the options is the right one??

15. GenocideBringer

GenocideBringer Chieftain

-Is there any way to keep getting money after you cut ties with Europe?

-Why is it that all the Indian tribes are dirt poor? I can't trade with any of them for this reason

-Is there any benefit to producing cash goods (like coats, silver, etc) after you declare independence?

16. Mass311

Mass311 Chieftain

I'll consider this a newbie question. I can not find out how to access a map editor/world builder. I've read that it was to be included, I see all these people modding the game, where am I missing the .exe file for this at?

17. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

During a game, click the Main Menu button in the top-left, and then "Enter WorldBuilder". I think it's also accessible via the shortcut Control + W. From there you can edit terrain, unit placement, cities, etc.

Welcome to CFC! :goodjob:

18. Mass311

Mass311 Chieftain

Thank you very much, found the site a few hours ago and been reading it ever since. Great forums, and definately been added to my bookmarks.

19. snoopy369

snoopy369 Apolytoner at large

1. You get money from trading with the indians and such.
    2. You need to buy from them also. Raw materials, things you can make more money trading with europe, etc.
    3. Only if you can sell them to the Indians; in general, stop doing that and just go all-guns-and-horses-all-the-time.

20. warroom

warroom Chieftain

Why do I have to move a colonist INTO the colony then OUT of the colony for his profession screen to pop up and me order him to become a soldier, dragoon, etc? Can't that somehow be done while the colinist is "outside" the colony?