Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I managed to move the ship to the shore and build a settlement with warehouse with three turns. Now what i should do, what is the goal i should have to win the game? Also, how can i see which are my adversaries and how are they advancing?

Send out scouts. If there is a seasoned scout in your immigration queue that's great but otherwise buy 50 horses and equip one of your colonists. One scout is essential but two or three would be better still. Explore the map and meet the natives. The chiefs will give you money and there are burial grounds and ancient ruins to loot.

Meanwhile build up your colony, a stockade and a dock first then a production building such as a Weaver's Shop (depending on what resources you have available in your colony). If you put a statesman in your town hall your territory will expand and if you build a church it will increase the supply of immigrants. Send your ship back to Europe with raw materials to sell, and collect those immigrants who wish to go to America.

Don't neglect your defences though, buy a cannon when you can afford it or ask your King for help. Put your soldier to work in your colony but retain his guns in case you need them for defense. Generally though you should have a long period of peace during which you can develop your colonies.

How to build dock, stockade, Weaver's Shop and other items. When i click on the settlement name it display the icons for items to build, but if i click on the 'dock' icon, for example, it doesn't build it, but display information about the item in the right corner which contain, if i am not wrong, the number of turns i have to accomplish before i am able to build this item. For 'dock' it show 25 turns which i already have done.

You can only build one building at a time, a dock takes 25 turns to build. You can speed this up by putting a colonist to work in the Carpenter's Shop as a carpenter but that requires lumber, which you can get by having another colonist work as a lumberjack. However in the early stages of the game you are unlikely to have colonists to spare to perform these jobs.

Last edited:
I just bought the game on steam and started my first game.
For some reason I am unable to add more than 4 colonists in one of my cities (could also be the case for the iother cities, this is the first city where I wanted to do this). Is this normal? There are way more slots for colonists in the city. Could it be because the city is starving (losing 6 food every turn)? They are not literally starving though. I make sure they have enough food through transport.

I just bought the game on steam and started my first game.
For some reason I am unable to add more than 4 colonists in one of my cities (could also be the case for the iother cities, this is the first city where I wanted to do this). Is this normal? There are way more slots for colonists in the city. Could it be because the city is starving (losing 6 food every turn)? They are not literally starving though. I make sure they have enough food through transport.

Correct. You need to fiddle with the food amount until colonist are allowed to enter the city. Then you need to make sure that there is sufficient food to keep the colonist fed to produce any output for that turn. I believe that the colonist will be ejected BEFORE they produce any hammers, etc if there isn't sufficient food. Usually I just switch a non-food heavy selection to a food heavy selection, join the citizen to the city, then readjust the plot's to work.

Have fun! Great game, but scary ending. I've lost more then won. Damn Kings!

I play TAC mod (prolly not much difference than Vanilla).I have question regarding military/political/exploration points. How do they work? I cannot find anything in "Colopedia". Can I get them any other way than "building" it in cities? I notice that I can get some if I discover Pacific (any other ways). And regarding founding fathers, can I somehow choose which one I want, or I just get them random? Also, is there any reason I should snub any of them? Also if there is some topic on forum regarding this I would appreciate the link, thx in advance.

I have question regarding military/political/exploration points. How do they work?

Their name should say it already. :)

Military Points: You get them mostly by fighting. (Natives, other Europeans, The King, ...)
Political: You get them mostly by creating Liberty Bells (Use the Village Hall and its Upgrades and put colonist as workers in there.)
Exploration: You get them mostly by exploring the Map with Scouts, visiting Native Villages and talking to their Chief and explore Goody Huts

By these actions, you should get 90% of these Founding Father Points.
(Forget to create them by Hammers. This is only useful in very late game, when creating Buildings is not useful anymore.)

There are however also other ways to get a few of these Founding Father Point as well. (e.g. Events)
But you will notice once you play for a while.

--------

You need to get these Founding Father Points to get Founding Fathers.
(Thus this should be all explained in Game Concept "Founding Fathers".)

--------

I hope I could answer your questions. :)

--------

Have fun playing TAC. :thumbsup:
It is a very good choice for a beginner in Civ4Col.

Later, once you are more experienced you could try the bigger and more complex mods.
But as beginner you should keep playing and get used to TAC first.

Hy All, Im new in forum

Need some help :)
Im playing on hardest difficulty (mod We The people), epic speed. Playing real world, map huge. Im in North America.
So far so good, but in 1650 year Dutch declare independence. Im like 30-40 turns till I will start independence.
Do I lose game if Dutch get their independence?
Can I stop them, or help Dutch king? They are in South America, so they are quite far from my. His royal King army (first landing wave that I see with my ships) is ridiculously small.
Anyone have some tips or hint how to deal with this situation?

Do I lose game if Dutch get their independence?
Yes, if they win Independence before you, you lose.

Can I stop them, or help Dutch king?
Sure, simply declare War against them and help their King to win.
You could also settle a City near them, put lots of troops in their, and gift the City and these troops to the King.

Rename units? How can you rename units in Civ4Col? I vaguely recall being able to rename my Wagon Train to Cotton Train or Tobacco Train while having them automated to gather those resources. I do know that I played a LOT of AOD(II) Mod quite sometime ago. Don't know of that was the Mod's allowance or am I just getting old (not joking.. :). thx in advance..

I couldn't figure out why my warehouse extension wasn't selling my excess items. It is because banned goods can't be sold even in the warehouse, isn't it?

Is there a way to grab a stack of less than 100 items? Other useful hotkeys?

I couldn't figure out why my warehouse extension wasn't selling my excess items. It is because banned goods can't be sold even in the warehouse, isn't it?
Customhouse (that sells goods) is something that only exists in mods.

Try e.g. TAC, RaR or WTP.
As they share the same base, they all 3 have a Custom House.

Top Bottom