Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

By the way, how do you get so many shields in that city? A forest tile should only give 2 per tile...

And the amount of gold you have is absolutely mind blowing lol

If I am not mistaken, he is in a Golden Age, which gives you +1 shields and gold per tile that are already producing at least one.

He has so much gold because of the golden age, and he is also using the Republic government, which gives an additional +1 gold to any tile that already produces one.

No terrain penalty in Republic!

Ok, thank you. I'll keep the 3 gold/shield formula in mind.

By the way, how do you get so many shields in that city? A forest tile should only give 2 per tile...

And the amount of gold you have is absolutely mind blowing lol

I have so many shields per turn, because I have a golden age going on (mobilization will have the same effect in terms of shield output for units having an attack or defense value).

I got most of that gold from the AIs.

And, Pray Tell, why have you not spent The Money!?........Are you saving it for Xmas?......'Cos it's Xmas now!

Seriously, what Victory Condition are you going for and did you just recently pick up all that cash from the AI? :)

And, Pray Tell, why have you not spent The Money!?........Are you saving it for Xmas?......'Cos it's Xmas now!

Seriously, what Victory Condition are you going for and did you just recently pick up all that cash from the AI? :)

I played that game almost 2 years ago now, and I didn't take all that many notes (though post 148 of the link provided will give you something). I know I spent some money every turn in upgrading horses to calvary at that point, I had spent money upgrading horses to knights a bit earlier, and I had upgraded trebuchets to cannons also. That consisted of my first military game on Sid, and I had really only planned to spend money cash-rushing wormies (worker-armies, i. e. buying a worker, and then buying an army before the turn ends). Looking back I agree that I could have spent more money earlier, and would have done better to do so. That said, I think I would have still wanted a sizeable stash of cash (maybe around 6000 gold?) for a while so that I could more easily make more money.

You can always do a mega-upgrade from your military advisor screen! :evil:

You can always do a mega-upgrade from your military advisor screen! :evil:

Sure (if you have the gold). But, if you do that you have to first build the unit and it loses its movement. If you zoom to the city when the unit gets produced, the upgraded comes ready to go next turn.

Because you're sitll doing it in the same turn… if you want to do that you still have to 'use' the movement points by not using them.

When the Military advisor tells me I'm strong vs the Russians and I have only 10 horsemen on Demigod - but I have 22 workers - does this mean that the AI and the military advisor rate my workers as military? Surely a DG-AI must have more than 10 horsemen in 800BC, and they have chivalry.

When the Military advisor tells me I'm strong vs the Russians and I have only 10 horsemen on Demigod - but I have 22 workers - does this mean that the AI and the military advisor rate my workers as military? Surely a DG-AI must have more than 10 horsemen in 800BC, and they have chivalry.

How big is their empire? Post a save! It may be that they just lost all of their offensive units in a war with the other AIs, leaving only spears. It would take a fair number of spears to equal 10 horses.

This does sound strange to me.

Their economy may be really fecked up from a lot of sickness/volcanoe maybe? Or lack of resources? Stacks of warriors only help your Riflemen generate leaders even more quickly!

Their economy may be really fecked up from a lot of sickness/volcanoe maybe? Or lack of resources? Stacks of warriors only help your Riflemen generate leaders even more quickly!

Why are you leader farming with riflemen :crazyeye:?

EMan & Spoonwood

Thanks. :)

scratchthepitch's answer is mostly right, but I'm going to be a little nitpicky. The Despo Penaltydoes not affect every tile, but is only triggered when a tile begins to produce 3 or more of something. IOW, a grass tile (2 food) gets no benefit from irrigating, because bumping it to 3 triggers the Despo Penalty. OTOH, a grass cow or a grass wheat tile (or any other tile that is producing 3 or more goodies) has already triggered it and had its 1 food "peeled off." So those tiles will get the benefit of irrigation.

Interesting. Didn't know it worked that way. Thanks for the correction.

Why are you leader farming with riflemen :crazyeye:?

It's not necessarily a bad idea if you have your cannons shelling out longbows, spears, medieval infantry, and even pikes before you attack them with rifles. That way, you have more calvary free to attack cities.

I have a somewhat stupid question:
My unit action buttons (go to, fortify, disband etc.) have moved from the lower middle part of the screen to the right-hand side. I must have hit some key combination by accident, and I can't at all figure out which it was, and/or how I get those buttons back to where they (in my opinion) belong.
Someone able to help?

Top Bottom