Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I think that's a point well-made (at this thread). :goodjob:........In fact, as a general rule, I can't think of much point in improving ANY tile outside one's city borders......Unless, like me, you've played a multi-month HOF Histographic game and just do it for aesthetic reasons as a celebration of being done with a long game! :crazyeye:

Happy New Year everyone. :)

1. You'll have it later, and you don't have enough for your workers to do inside your territory

2. You want to hook up a luxury or resource for the AI so you can trade for an extra source.

3. So that the effects of global warming strip a forest outside of your territory, instead of causing a plain to become a desert or something silly like that.

I usually plant forests in the way of invading armies. Slow 'em down by any means necessary. As well as getting a good defensive bonus in the second line of forests and fudgingg up their retreat.

Having a road in outside tiles is also helpful for moving units back and forth. If an AI threatens, you can always trash the road ahead of them. And then sit back and make rude faces at them.

Yes, build a perimeter road if you can spare the workers, helps with trade and with getting your troops around for defensive maneouvres.

Hey guys, I have so many questions lol.
1. What is the reputation loss suffered from razing an opponent's city? Do the other civs start to have a more negative attitude towards you than they would otherwise?

2. Why is it that the AI seems to NEVER want to pay me per turn in exchange for something? I want to trade my luxury resources, and the other civ only offers me 5 gold for a wine. That's ridiculous. But that's all the gold that that civ has in the treasury. But as soon as I suggest even 1 gold per turn in addition to the lump sum, my trade advisor says "They would never accept such a deal." Why are they so uptight about paying on a per-turn basis??

I am not on top of the razing as it has no impact for me, I am going raze regardless. That said, I think it does nothing to your rep, it is an attitude hit.

The issue with gpt deals is that you likely have a broken rep. They will not make gpt, if you have a bad rep.

1. What is the reputation loss suffered from razing an opponent's city? Do the other civs start to have a more negative attitude towards you than they would otherwise?

Not very much, but a little bit.

2. Why is it that the AI seems to NEVER want to pay me per turn in exchange for something? I want to trade my luxury resources, and the other civ only offers me 5 gold for a wine. That's ridiculous. But that's all the gold that that civ has in the treasury. But as soon as I suggest even 1 gold per turn in addition to the lump sum, my trade advisor says "They would never accept such a deal." Why are they so uptight about paying on a per-turn basis??

Either because it's Ancient or Mediaeval times and the AI is always short of money then, or because you went to war with them when they had a gpt deal going with you.

Not very much, but a little bit.

Either because it's Ancient or Mediaeval times and the AI is always short of money then, or because you went to war with them when they had a gpt deal going with you.

So would their change in attitude not be noticeable if I raze 1 city? Or 2?

It is medieval times in this game. I'm trying to trade with a civ that I've never gone to war with, and also I have not ever broken any agreements so far this game; I have not even been to war with anyone yet. (I'm planning on war, though; that's why I ask about razing)

Does adjacency have anything to do with it at all? As in, how far apart we are from each other? This civ that I'm trying to trade with is not adjacent to me, borders-wise. (Yes, we do have a viable trade route, though.) But I was able to strike a deal just now with a different civ that is adjacent to me, and that civ is now paying me 4 gold per turn. (that happened after I posted the above question)

Note that spryllino's answers don't really work that well.

1. You do NOT suffer any loss in trading reputation, AFAIK, from razing. However, you do suffer a loss in AI attitude.

2. The AI will basically set their sliders every-turn (so long as you don't stop paying them gpt in one way, or someone else stops paying them gpt), and then if they have positive gpt, they'll have that gpt available to trade. That number consists of the most gpt they'll give you for any deal. The amount of gpt they have available only coincidentally has to do with the time of the game, as upper level AIs sometimes do have gpt available during ancient and medieval times... especially if they have a GA going on.

The maximum amount of gpt you can get for luxuries and resources will vary with the size of the AIs empire.

Adjacency, AFAIK, doesn't affect anything.

I'm just wondering about what would be called a sneak attack?

is it just the fact they move onto your land without declaring first or does it still qualify if you give them a "declare or move" demand when they have moved (in force) onto your land.

this does not affect the balance of the earth... I just got thinking about it is all.

If they have moved into your land, I would say your attack is not a sneak attack. This is due to the fact that they should be considering you would attack with that provacation.

Usually it is considered (imo) a sneak attack, if you attack without a declaration. Japan did not think they were sneak attacking US as they planned on delivering a DOW prior to the bombs falling.

If they have moved into yourt land, I owld say your attack is not a sneak attack. This is due to the fact that they should be considering you would attack with that provacation.

Usually it is considered (imo) a sneak attack, if you attack without a declaration. Japan did not think they were sneak attacking US as they planned on delivering a DOW prior to the bombs falling.

an interesting day for this discussion to come up. I was considering that act this AM.

Strangely, I am playing Japan today but I was sneak attacked by England. :rolleyes::lol:

Note that spryllino's answers don't really work that well.

1. You do NOT suffer any loss in trading reputation, AFAIK, from razing. However, you do suffer a loss in AI attitude.

2. The AI will basically set their sliders every-turn (so long as you don't stop paying them gpt in one way, or someone else stops paying them gpt), and then if they have positive gpt, they'll have that gpt available to trade. That number consists of the most gpt they'll give you for any deal. The amount of gpt they have available only coincidentally has to do with the time of the game, as upper level AIs sometimes do have gpt available during ancient and medieval times... especially if they have a GA going on.

The maximum amount of gpt you can get for luxuries and resources will vary with the size of the AIs empire.

Adjacency, AFAIK, doesn't affect anything.

Wow, thanks for those links!

Again, I'm kind of annoyed that this is not documented anywhere, not even qualitatively. Someone had to experiment with the game to figure it out... lame.

during install of civ3 complete I'm told:
When downloading Civilization 3 complete gold. I get this
Error 1305. Error reading from file \Art\movies\intro.bik. verify that the file exist and that you can access it

the file does exist, so I assume the problem is that I cannot access it. what can be done about it?
I have already looked on this site for the solution and was told to go to Atari which so far seems like it was a waste. My computer runs Vista and is a X86, it’s less than 6 months old. It meets all requirements to run this game.
Please Help Don

Did you use the RUN option for the download? This seems to cause problems. Try to do the d/l again wiht a save. Then execute the install, if that is an option. The file probably is corrupted.

If I demand that a civ remove troops from my territory, and the civ refuses, am I the one who declared war on them? (And so I will be the one receiving the attitude hit from all the other civs, like it says in that link?)

Corollary: Also, is there absolutely no way to demand a civ remove their troops from your territory without making it an ultimatum -- i.e. if they don't, it's war?

If I demand that a civ remove troops from my territory, and the civ refuses, am I the one who declared war on them? (And so I will be the one receiving the attitude hit from all the other civs, like it says in that link?)

Corollary: Also, is there absolutely no way to demand a civ remove their troops from your territory without making it an ultimatum -- i.e. if they don't, it's war?

1) No, the AI takes the hit, and declares war. It will even say "x declares war on you". You get war happiness as well :)

2) No, there is not, it is always leave or war. You could try blocking the path of the AI units with your units, making them turn back.

FrozenSphere said:

Well you could gift them the nearby city(ies). But, if you don't want to do that, then yes, you have to give them an ultimatum.

Top Bottom