1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Windows 10?

I just heard that Windows 10 is unable to play the victory movie that normally gets displayed after a spaceship victory, somehow causing the game to "jam". Sounds like your are suffering from that problem?

Using nukes definitely has nothing to do with it, I would say... ;)

2. walletta

walletta King

Hmmm. No, I don't use Windows 10. The game did not jam. I kept playing (and nuking) but I just couldn't see the space ship or launch it.

3. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Have you tried completing the ship before starting WW III in that game? If so, what happened? And/or do you have (or can you generate from an autosave) a pre-launch (Nukes and Ship!) savegame that one of us could test?

4. walletta

walletta King

Neither of those. Sorry. The auto-save file will now have other stuff in it as I have moved on to a new game. I have also forgotten how to upload a save, but that's another story.

5. Buttercup

Buttercup King

Did anyone nuke you?

Also, it could just be a random bug from a corrupted save. Did you not immediately reload a save and try again or reload an older save to try again? That's my first reaction in any game to something like that.

6. walletta

walletta King

No, nobody else had nuclear weapons. I didn't think of your idea of reloading. Maybe I will next time.

7. walletta

walletta King

OK, what about this: you find a goody hut and somehow zone it off until the modern era, then you walk in with a nice, peaceful unit like a worker or settler - and it teaches you Fission! Is this possible? Theoretically speaking.

8. Buttercup

Buttercup King

Nice idea, lol, but no, goody huts only provide Ancient Age technologies.

9. Eredark

Eredark Chieftain

How can I edit AI properties for Civilization 3?
    Is it possible on scenarios level only or for whole game?
    In particular I'm interested how to forbid AI destroying cities.

Thnx for answer.

10. walletta

walletta King

Rats!

11. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Well, you can't really edit the AI itself -- those routines are contained within the game-executables (Civilization3.exe, Civ3X.exe, and Civ3Conquests.exe) -- but you can certainly edit the 'ruleset' files for each version of the game (.bic, .bix or .biq, respectively), which can improve the way the AI plays the game/ deploys its units.

All you need to do is open the Editor for the version of the game which you want to alter, and tell it you want to create a 'rules-only' .biq (which can be used to play on randomly-generated maps). You can also create 'map-only' .biqs (which will use the epic-game rules), or a 'rules+map' .biq (= a full mod, or scenario). You should be able to find all 3 versions of the Editor installed in the same place as the rest of your Civ3 gamefiles:
    .../Civ3/Civ3Edit.exe (for Vanilla)
    .../Civ3/civ3PTW/Civ3XEdit.exe (for PtW)
    .../Civ3/Conquests/Civ3ConquestsEdit.exe (for Conquests)

And a few caveats: Editing the base-ruleset for the epic game(s) will prevent you from recording any scores for games using those rulesets. It will also exclude you from playing GotMs or submitting to the CFC HoF. Most modders rather create their own modified rulesets from the original files, and leave those in place. Modifying the ruleset-files can also totally screw things up, so be careful, and make backups of the originals before you start messing around with them! If you fail to make backups, and something goes badly wrong with your mod, you may be forced to reinstall the game in order to be able to play it again.

For (a lot) more information and expertise, you should visit the 'Creation & Customisation' section of CFC
    For this, you'll need a 'No-raze' patch for the relevant game-executable. The Conquests1.22-version can be downloaded from this page on CFC. While many CFCers use this patch without problems, bear in mind that it is not an official, Firaxis-supported patchfile, i.e. you use it entirely at your own risk.

12. Priyon

Priyon Chieftain

Why are all the settlers I find in these goody huts turning into cities right on the spot? I was playing solo as Arabs on a huge, empty Pangaea with no barbarians or other civilizations, testing out how well planned my empire can be.

But then 8 out of every 10 huts my scouts popped, there came settlers who immediately settled a city in the most disgusting and unwanted spots on the map. It also made me run out of good pre-generated city names (I had to abandon every single one of them).

Is there a way to disable this?

13. walletta

walletta King

I dunno about disabling but you can rename cities if you want.

14. justanick

justanick King

You did not get a settler, you got a city. Those might have more than 1 citizen and can only appear at least 4 tiles away from your closest city. That might explain the disfavourable positions.

In order to a get a settler you must have no settler in current existence nor as an active building project in one of your cities.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=93244
    http://wiki.civforum.de/wiki/Bonushütte_(Civ3)

15. Eredark

Eredark Chieftain

tjs282, thnx a lot for a such full and useful answer! :)

One more question. Is this patch compatible with AoI, WW2 Global and other custom mods\maps\scenarios?

16. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Yes, it's just a patch on the .exe which you use to run scenarios. How it affects gameplay is another thing entirely, of course.

17. Priyon

Priyon Chieftain

Thanks. Is there a mod that disables these 'cities'?

18. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Only the barbarian ones or all cities? You can always play with NoBarbs, it's in Scenario Properties IIRC.

19. tman111997

tman111997 Chieftain

What does the auto bombard button do? I see it when a bombard unit is selected but clicking it doesn't seem to do anything.

20. justanick

justanick King

I believe that if you use that order and donnot replace that order, than the unit will automatically bombard the target each turn. So the bombardement might not start before you end the turn. I never used it, so no guarantees here.