Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I believe that if you use that order and donnot replace that order, than the unit will automatically bombard the target each turn. So the bombardement might not start before you end the turn. I never used it, so no guarantees here.

But what exactly is the button supposed to do. Like what is automated by that button.

The bombardement is. Instead of having to give the order to bombard 10 turns in a row you only give it once. Besieging a city for 10 turns however is rather ineffecient, so i see no practical purpose for this automation. It is best ignored.

Ooh, I can answer this one! For artillery, canon etc the auto command just means they will bombard the same tile next turn as this and will keep on doing so so long as there is something to hit, including infra structure. But, these units cannot auto bombard in enemy territory. Naval units OTOH will continue to auto bombard inside the enemy's cultural boundary. You can auto with bombers also. I use this sometimes. I'm too inattentive to tell you at what point in the turn the bombardment occurs. One thing I don't like about it is the sequence is sometimes wrong, as in your bombers will sometimes bomb a target before your artillery, which is not ideal.

What does the auto bombard button do? I see it when a bombard unit is selected but clicking it doesn't seem to do anything.
But, these units cannot auto bombard in enemy territory.
Not true. Auto-bombard does work for land-arty (Cats to Radar-Arty) in enemy territory, but only if you have de-selected 'Cancel Orders for Enemy/ Friendly Combat-Unit' in the Game-preferences menu.

These options refer to AI-units: if checked, and a (hostile) AI-unit moves adjacent to your units, your units will interrupt any multi-turn task that you have assigned to them: Workers will stop roading/ mining/ clearing, mil-units will interrupt their GoTos, and arty-units will stop auto-bombarding.

@Walletta: If you want your Bombers to bomb after your Arty have Auto-bombed, don't automate the Bombers -- hit 'Wait' every time one of them comes up, until the Arty have fired.

Like Justanick says though, if you want to take a city, its population, and its improvements relatively intact, auto-bombarding -- especially with large arty-stacks -- is a bad idea. But if you plan to raze it anyway... Fire at will, commander...

Not true. Auto-bombard does work for land-arty (Cats to Radar-Arty) in enemy territory, but only if you have de-selected 'Cancel Orders for Enemy/ Friendly Combat-Unit' in the Game-preferences menu.

These options refer to AI-units: if checked, and a (hostile) AI-unit moves adjacent to your units, your units will interrupt any multi-turn task that you have assigned to them: Workers will stop roading/ mining/ clearing, mil-units will interrupt their GoTos, and arty-units will stop auto-bombarding.

@Walletta: If you want your Bombers to bomb after your Arty have Auto-bombed, don't automate the Bombers -- hit 'Wait' every time one of them comes up, until the Arty have fired.

Like Justanick says though, if you want to take a city, its population, and its improvements relatively intact, auto-bombarding -- especially with large arty-stacks -- is a bad idea. But if you plan to raze it anyway... Fire at will, commander...

I knew I had badly over-estimated myself in trying to answer a newbie question :(

The bombardement is. Instead of having to give the order to bombard 10 turns in a row you only give it once. Besieging a city for 10 turns however is rather ineffecient, so i see no practical purpose for this automation. It is best ignored.
I bombard cities with ships for quite a few turns in a row, in order to redline the units and to keep them redlined.

I also bombard AI's luxuries and resources - but they miss many times, so auto bombard would be handy.
I've never seen it work like that though.

Question: What's the base defense of an empty (so no unit is present) tile?

Particularly: when I bombard an improvement on enemy territory, what are the chances of it being successful?

Well, the tile itself cannot be bombarded, it has no defence value. The improvement you bombard has.

Does base defence = 16 fit? Than chances would be 8/(8+16x(1+defence bonus)) = 1/3 for a cannon to hit a tile if bonus = 0, 0.3125 for bonus = 0.1(plains), 0.25 for bonus = 0.5(hills) and 0.2 for bonus = 1(mountain).

I thought I read somewhere that the defense was 12, but I don't remember where.

Is it even possible to get a leader from a ship? I recently played a game where a single galleon went all around the world winning at least 40 battles, yet I got no leader. Has anyone ever had a ship produce a leader?

The general consensus would seem to be that the battles of air units or naval units do not create MGL.

It might be worth to note that lethal bombardement by landunits can generate promotions including MGL. So the koreans UU can create MGL.

Sea and air units can't give you leaders. What can happen is that some wonders in scenarios (made by Firaxis or by fans) will require that you have at least one sea unit at Elite level.

Someone mentioned something somewhere about some kind of culture bonus after 1,000 years. Like you build a temple and a thousand years later something good happens. What's that about?

I think it's in the Civilopædia, but might be wrong.

Good evening everybody.
The first time I played CIV III was about 10 years ago. I remember from that time something about being able to start in different ages. It might have been AoE, but I remember it as CIV. Is it possible to start in any of the 4 ages?

Someone mentioned something somewhere about some kind of culture bonus after 1,000 years. Like you build a temple and a thousand years later something good happens. What's that about?

I believe that I've found the answer. It's directly under Culture in the Game Concepts section of the civilopedia.
You're correct. It doubles every 1,000 years.

There's also the tourist attraction attribute to wonders that adds additional commerce. The amount starts after year 1000 at +2. After 500 more years it reaches +4. It will eventually get to +14 at the year 2501. This can all be found under Tourist Attraction in the civilopedia.

I hope that this helps your understanding :)

Top Bottom