Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

thanks, is there a way to speed up/skip player unit animations near the end of your turn?

I recommend using Shift. You never know when you might want the game to slow down again. Automatising is really not an option in Civ3.

Maximizing Score for Histographic Victories:

If my city has a Sea tile within its borders, I'm assuming I score one (Territory) Base Point for that tile, even if it's 3 tiles from my City Center? :)

question about traits: how many extra shields do your cities get from being an industrious civ?

what about commercial, how much more commerce and less corruption?

i cant find anything on traits in the war academy.

Industrious civs get an extra shield from every tile that already produces shields. In the early ages it can make you clash with the production penalties which Despotism entails. But, more importantly, Industrious civs will get far faster workers. This is important at all stages, but especially so when you find just that one resource which nobody else on the continent has and you have to send a settler and then link to it to make good use of it.

Good Points.

This is important at all stages, but especially so when you find just that one resource which nobody else on the continent has and you have to send a settler and then link to it to make good use of it.
............Or send a Worker to the resource tile and build a Colony! :)

Industrious civs get an extra shield from every tile that already produces shields.

Surely not. Industrious civs get one extra shield in the center city tile once the city reaches size 7. I think they get another once it reaches size 13, but I'm not sure.

I think commercial civs get extra commerce in the center city tile in the same manner. The corruption reduction is complicated, but the corruption article in the War Academy explains it in detail. It is noticeable but not huge, in my opinion.

Industrious civs get one extra shield in the center city tile once the city reaches size 7
Sometimes!....For a city of size 1-6, 1 shield is produced in the city center tile; when the city reaches 7, an extra shield is produced only if the original tile contained a shield. (I.e. a Plains tile or a Bonus Grassland tile)..........Assuming you're out of Despotism government into something more useful like Republic. :)

Surely not. Industrious civs get one extra shield in the center city tile once the city reaches size 7. I think they get another once it reaches size 13, but I'm not sure.
*agricultural civs get extra food, derp. Now I'm not sure about the industrious civs…

Exactly!..............So, if you're playing to get a High Score Victory (Viz. Histographic), the Mayans are a great choice, being both Agricultural & Industrious! ;)

I think commercial civs get extra commerce in the center city tile in the same manner. The corruption reduction is complicated, but the corruption article in the War Academy explains it in detail. It is noticeable but not huge, in my opinion.
(InB4 @justanick): If I've now finally understood that corruption article correctly, COMM-Civs get their Nopt (i.e. OCN for that map size, adjusted downwards per increase in difficulty-level) raised by 25%. Rank-corruption increases sharply in all towns with CityRank > Nopt, so COMM-Civs get 25% more towns with the lower rate of rank-corruption than non-COMM Civs, i.e. they basically get 25% more 'core' towns, where building a Courthouse might be a lower priority (as opposed to the very first building that has to be built, just to make the town usefully productive).

It isn't exactly 25%, though. It is 25% over the base, but there are a lot of other potential additions. It is 25% in despotism with no courthouses or FP and about 2% in communism with some corruption-reducing buildings. In a republic in a typical situation, it is maybe a 15% increase in Nopt.

Exactly!..............So, if you're playing to get a High Score Victory (Viz. Histographic), the Mayans are a great choice, being both Agricultural & Industrious! ;)
They are the bloody devil, especially with all the free workers you can get.

I think commercial civs get extra commerce in the center city tile in the same manner.

Every nation gets +1 shield in the city center, once the city reaches size 7 (provided the tile originally had a shield, e.g plains, BG, hill, tundra, desert, as EMan already noted). The bonus for being an industrious civ kicks in only at size 13: here ordinary civs get 2 extra shields in the city center (for a total of 3), whereas industrious civs get 3 extra shields (for a total of 4).

The commerce bonus for commercial civs is different:

Extra commerce in center tile depending on town size:
| Village | City | Metropolis Non-Commercial |+1|+2|+3
Commercial |+1|+4|+6

Every nation gets +1 shield in the city center, once the city reaches size 7 (provided the tile originally had a shield, e.g plains, BG, hill, tundra, desert, as EMan already noted).

Personally i prefer the formulation that the extra shields donnot depend on the tile originally having a shield. Production is the shields of the tile + the ones depending on the city level. It just is so if that would be 0 it is rounded up to 1.

This is interesting. Im currently playing the greeks. I tried republic and am making 1200 gpt before reaching modern times. Never had this much gold and easily researching in 4 turns.

What are your favorite traits?

I do miss the leaders from always taking a military civ, only have 1 leader so far.

Every nation gets +1 shield in the city center, once the city reaches size 7 (provided the tile originally had a shield, e.g plains, BG, hill, tundra, desert, as EMan already noted). The bonus for being an industrious civ kicks in only at size 13: here ordinary civs get 2 extra shields in the city center (for a total of 3), whereas industrious civs get 3 extra shields (for a total of 4).
I think you implied this, but just to be clear, industrious city center tiles only produce 4 shields at size 13 if the tile originally had a shield, else they produce 3. :)

This is interesting. Im currently playing the greeks. I tried republic and am making 1200 gpt before reaching modern times. Never had this much gold and easily researching in 4 turns.

What are your favorite traits?

I do miss the leaders from always taking a military civ, only have 1 leader so far.
What level of difficulty are you playing at?

I think you implied this, but just to be clear, industrious city center tiles only produce 4 shields at size 13 if the tile originally had a shield, else they produce 3. :)

The city tile of a metropolis of an industrious civ produces 3 shields plus the ones from the underlying tile. So if that was 1 from hills and 2 from aluminium or coal, than it is a total of 6.

Top Bottom