Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

OK. I'll try 70 x 70 and see what happens.

I got my avatar working. This one is temporary (I think). I'll just wait and see if it grows on me and others. What do you think? Classic? Cool? Or a complete waste of time?

Last edited:
What is the difference between two countries fighting against a common enemy, and a Military Alliance with another country? IIRC, the allies would have a right of passage with each other for the duration (i.e., could use each other's roads/railroads for movement), but I cannot find out what else might be involved, and I have not done it enough (I usually just go to war on my own) to have noticed much else.

AFAIK it does not automatically include a RoP. You'd have to sign one of those separately, if you want to travel through their country to get to the common enemy (or allow them passage through your territory for that purpose).
A Military Alliance is basically
  • two side agree to declare war on a third party
  • that third party does not get any war happiness from either DoW (a factor not to be neglected!!)
  • if one side makes peace with the third party, before the 20 turns of the MA are over, it does constitute a breach of a treaty and results in the corresponding reputation hit
And that's all. Nothing else involved.

Last edited:
But notice that if you are fighting a common enemy (allies or not) nobody pays for the RoP. I've sometimes declared war on a far-away civ so my little country can get an RoP with a huge neighbor without paying a fortune. More often, when ending a war alliance I'll either wait to renew the RoP before making peace (so I don't pay when I'm little) or I'll make peace and then renew the RoP so that they pay (when I'm big). On high levels I figure I might as well have the RoP, because they will walk through my territory anyway, and on low levels I'm not worried about sneak attacks so I might as well take their money.

AFAIK it does not automatically include a RoP. You'd have to sign one of those separately, if you want to travel through their country to get to the common enemy (or allow them passage through your territory for that purpose).
Ok, that makes sense.

A Military Alliance is basically
  • that third party does not get any war happiness from either DoW (a factor not to be neglected!!)
  • if one side makes peace with the third party, it does constitute a breach of a treaty and results in the corresponding reputation hit
And that's all. Nothing else involved.
I assume that the "breach of treaty" (I hadn't thought about that, embarrassingly enough) would only be in the event that one makes peace before the 20-turn MA expires?

Also, what is "war happiness"? (I know of war weariness, of course.) That is something I had not heard of before.

When someone declares war on you (but not if it is because of a military alliance), you get war happiness, which is kind of like reverse war weariness. I want to say that it is one happier person per town per AI that has declared war on you, but I don't think I have the details right. As you remain at war, the first war weariness points eat away at your war happiness. Once your war happiness is gone, then you get war weariness if you are in a government that is affected by it.

In the early game, if you can get some far-away AI to declare on you, you can enjoy a lot of happiness. I sometimes forget that I'm at war purely for the war happiness. When I make peace and my people are upset, it is an unpleasant surprise.

You can get war happiness from victories and from fighting on your own ground IIRC?

Just to be clear on this: I have never been able to sign an MA with anyone until after I am already at war with someone. So if Civ B DoW'd me, I would get the WH. But if I was the one who DoW'd Civ-B, then they would get WH, they just wouldn't get more WH when I sign an MA against them with Civs C, D, E...
You can get war happiness from victories and from fighting on your own ground IIRC?
No, I don't think so. You just don't get the extra WW-points from having your troops on foreign soil.

And certainly every AI-attack against your units/tiles (including bombardment) adds more WW-points, so if you're fighting on your own turf, you'll rack those up on the interturn if the AI-Civ has Dromons/.../Bombers, and/or you haven't managed to kill off all their invading land-units.

Last edited:
Also, what is "war happiness"? (I know of war weariness, of course.) That is something I had not heard of before.

It is 1 happy face for every 4 population. So getting population to 4, 8 etc. is important to utilize this bonus.

Just to be clear on this: I have never been able to sign an MA with anyone until after I am already at war with someone.

It is near impossible with an AI. But other human players could accept it easily.

1. How do you tell what level your game is after you have started it?
  2. There is some graphical file / patch you can download to make the happy / content / sad faces on f1 more easy to see. What is that called?

Last edited:
How do you tell what level your game is after you have started it?
Every time you load a savegame.
There is some graphical file / patch you can download to make the happy / content / sad faces on f1 more easy to see. What is that called?
Look around, I can't remember the name but there's several mods that can change the city screen graphics. I don't know how much remains after the downfall of Atomic Gamer and the Xenforofication.

There is some graphical file / patch you can download to make the happy / content / sad faces on f1 more easy to see. What is that called?
The files you need to replace are the 'popheads.pcx', which you will find in your ...\Civilization III\[Conquests\]Art\SmallHeads\ folders. (Amongst others,) CFC-users @Puppeteer and @GreyFox both produced (or assembled) such files. @Theov included one in his Mod as well. You should be able to find them in the 'Downloads' section...

I'm using Puppeteer's pack, since he also provided popheads.pcx for each of the Conquests Scenarios (Mesopotamia, Sengoku, etc.). And *rummage*
HERE IT IS.

I assume that the "breach of treaty" (I hadn't thought about that, embarrassingly enough) would only be in the event that one makes peace before the 20-turn MA expires?
Yes, as Lanzelot says. The 'good' news, though, is that the AI-Civs seem to have no problem with breaking (most*) 20-turn deals themselves, which has 2 implications:
(1) Don't pay up-front goods (techs, lump-sum gold) for any MAs if you can possibly avoid it!
(2) If you've accomplished your war aims relatively smoothly/early, and can hold out easily against any further counter-attacks, you won't necessarily have to wait the full 20 turns before the MA is cancelled, allowing you to sign peace yourself.

Also, bear in mind that even if you do have to let an MA run the full 20T (e.g. because it takes that long for your ally and your enemy to whittle each other down), cancelling it immediately on Turn 21 won't in itself necessarily end your ally's war — not even if you then also sign a PT with your mutual enemy. Once 2 AI-Civs have been at war for 20 turns — and especially if they share a land-border — they'll likely be so Furious with one another that they'll carry on fighting even without your further encouragement, until one of them obtains a sufficiently decisive advantage over the other, as to be able to force substantial peace-treaty concessions (or destroy the loser outright). And as long as they're fighting, they will both revolt to/ stay in a non-WW government, slowing down their economies relative to yours — which is rarely if ever a bad thing.

*Apart from Trade Embargoes, which seem to last the full 20 turns if not longer, because the AI-Civs often don't seem to require any payments for these (certainly I've made TEs without having to pay anything for them, even at Emperor level, so it seems reasonable to assume that TEs between AI-Civs cost even 'less' than that...)

Sorry if this question has been asked before (because it probably has), but I'd like Sn00py's greener terrain mod to be the default terrain for the entire game (without loading it each time).

How do I go about this? Which files do I need to swap out and where are they located? I have the mod as part of the GoG download. I just need help installing it.

How do I go about this? Which files do I need to swap out and where are they located? I have the mod as part of the GoG download. I just need help installing it.
Most of the files you need to change are in ...\Civilization III\Art\Terrain\, but you will also need to replace a few files (all the volcanos*.pcx files, and the marsh.pcx file) in ...\Civilization III\Conquests\Art\Terrain\

I would suggest starting off by copying each ...\Terrain\ folder in its entirety, renaming the original as ...\Terrain ORIGINAL\, and then pasting the copy back into the respective Art folder. That way, If you mess up or overwrite something you didn't intend to, you still have the original files in a separate location.

Then navigate to the sn00py folder you want, select some/all of the (.pcx) files within it (Ctrl-clicking selects multiple files, one by one; Ctrl-A selects all of them), copy the selected files (Ctrl-C), then go back up to the pasted-in Terrain folder, and paste in the sn00py-files, overwriting all duplicates.

sn00py's should then become your default terrain.
Is it okay to threat for lump sum gold/tech and invade after he accepts or are there consequences?
If you get a 20-turn peace treaty from your extortion and then immediately break it by DoWing, then yeah, your trade reputation will be toast -- not just with the AI you stiffed, but also with anyone he has diplomatic relations with.

So it's really only 'safe' to do this if your enemy doesn't know anyone else yet (and you're going to destroy him before he meets anyone), or if you're already so big that trading is no longer a necessity/concern for you.

If you get a 20-turn peace treaty from your extortion and then immediately break it by DoWing, then yeah, your trade reputation will be toast -- not just with the AI you stiffed, but also with anyone he has diplomatic relations with.

So it's really only 'safe' to do this if your enemy doesn't know anyone else yet (and you're going to destroy him before he meets anyone), or if you're already so big that trading is no longer a necessity/concern for you.

Okay thank you!

Top Bottom