1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    It can improve relations with your Ally, for example. It can commit an AI to a war that may not be to its advantage, with any luck for longer than it might otherwise have been inclined to fight (not always, though).

But I primarily use MAs to encourage the peacenik AIs to expend their attack-unit stacks — because if they're fighting someone else (on my behalf), they're not fighting me!

Also, if I can successfully 'encourage' them to break their Resource-trades with my enemy, that will weaken my enemy, and/or free up Luxes/StratRes for me to buy instead.

WeirdoJoker likes this.
  2. tjs282

Bumping this question and block-quoting to report success -- at last!
    Sooo... not only did I have to un-protect my CampaignRecord.hof file on Win8.1 (long since done), I also had to try (several times) to delete the 'bic_in.tmp' and 'bic_out.tmp' files. Here is what (eventually) worked for me:
    • Reloaded the last autosave from the game I finished yesterday
      • (Yesterday, when I tried -- yet again -- to follow the process as mostly detailed below, CivIII stopped responding )
    • Made my moves, and ended the turn
    • At the victory pop-up, pressed Enter
      • (Could probably also have clicked on the 'O')
    • At the taunt-screen, made sure I shut down CivAssistII before doing anything else
      • (This might not have been necessary, but I did it anyway)
    • Clicked on the 'Frequently used folders' icon in the desktop-tray on my secondary monitor
      • (I assume that on single-monitor setup, alt-tabbing to the desktop would work just as well)
    • Navigated to my .../CivIII/Conquests/ folder
    • Deleted the bic_in/bic_out .tmp files
      • (<SHIFT>-selected them both, then hit the <DELETE> key)
    • Closed the File-manager window
    • Alt-tabbed back to Civ3
      • (Yesterday, I'd tried to get back to the game by clicking directly on the primary monitor -- and that was when it crashed)
    • Press Escape to exit the taunt-screen, and each of the remaining end-game screens
    • Got the notification that I have (finally!) registered a win on a Conquest :woohoo:
      • (Mesopotamia, Babs, Emp, VP-victory with 5505 Victory Points, if anyone cares!)
    Thanks to all who contributed suggestions/help with this.

(Now I just have to replay my last RoR, FoR, Middle Ages and Mesoamerica games...)

3. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

I think you mean you have to play RFRE, the Rood and the Dragon and The Classical Maya. ;)

tjs282 likes this.
  4. tjs282

Sounds like a plan. Unfortunately, the links on the RFRE 'Resources' page haven't been updated since atomicgamer went down, and are hence long since dead. However, I see from the longest(?) RFRE discussion thread that back in September 2015, @Node60 uploaded various .rar and .zip files to https://cloud.mail.ru, and they still seem to be there. Do you know if those files are all that's needed to install RFRE (the filenames are the same as on the Resources page, as far as I can tell)?

I already re-played the last turn of my last RoR-game, and got that win saved, then loaded the most recent save I had for my last run at FoR, but the endgame is kind of draggy (mainly because I'm fighting the Ostrogoths instead of the Visigoths, so my Frankish Heavy Cavs have a long way to travel). I'm also not a big fan of the Elimination-mechanic, because the AI doesn't understand the risks: just because there's lots of open space, that doesn't make it a good idea to send out Settler-pairs to found (extremely vulnerable!) outlying towns near resources... :hammer:

(Regicide — e.g. in Sengoku/Middle Ages — works a lot better, since the AI habitually guards its capital so heavily, and hence its King-unit(s), that capturing the more outlying cities first is the more efficient/ sensible strategy).
    I've already got TR+TD (and also TD+TM), but a search of the entire Civ3 forum for "Classical Maya" (page/thread-titles only) turned up nothing. Any help on that one...?

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  5. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

I certainly do have the Classical Maya installed in a Windows partition; it'd be only a matter of uploading it to a Google Drive somewhere and posting a link to it in the appropriate thread.

But first I did a page-by-page thread and found The Last Conformist's scenario thread.

Regarding RFRE, I thought I had a copy on this computer but I didn't find one; it might be in old backup pendrives or the like. Might.

6. tjs282

Ah-HAH!

TLC's thread appears to include a working DL-link to 'v.1.0', as does the Resources page, though I'm not sure whether that's the latest version.
    I got it from Node60's cloud-upload yesterday evening.

I wasn't sure exactly what I was clicking, since the page is all in Russian, but the DL/install seems to have been successful.

Haven't tested it yet, not sure which of the many included .biqs would be the best one to start with.

7. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Chieftain

Only 2 Uranium on the map, both with rivals. (Greeks/Tiny/Regent.) If I capture the Portuguese town that has Uranium, and I start the SS Fuel Cells and Stasis Chamber, do I need to have the Uranium for the whole construction time, or could I gift the town back for a peace treaty once I've started? (Once I gift the Hittites up to Rocketry, I can trade for the Aluminum & Rubber that I also need.)

8. tjs282

Generally with resource-dependent builds, you only need the resource to begin the build, and the Ship-parts are no exception.

So yes, you could safely gift the town away.

WeirdoJoker likes this.
  9. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Chieftain

Turns out I didn't need to do that ... Hittites had an extra Uranium I had previously failed to notice, so once I had all the techs I just gifted them to the Hittites until I could trade for all the resources, and it all fell into place. (Of course, the Vikings broke a RoP to declare war on me, but my MPP with the Hittites distracted them for me...)

10. jarred!

jarred! Chieftain

Keep in mind the Hittites can't trade you their extra source if they haven't researched Fission yet, and thus can't see the Uraniums. If I find myself without coal or another critical resource, I'll gift the prerequisite tech to a neutral AI that has already roaded the resource-tiles so I can them trade for it (until I can procure a native source).

11. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Chieftain

Oh, I know ... I ended up trading them something for Fission, then noticed they had the extra, so I traded another tech to get that. I think once the Apollo Program was done, it only took 8 turns to build the Spaceship (as I had already amassed all necessary techs).

12. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

You must've been really close to victory to be able to just donate techs and more techs to a civ just to build two SS parts.

13. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Chieftain

I was. I was so far ahead on tech that I was able to obtain all the techs needed for the Ship in advance of the AI Civs (which I've rarely done that well); trade for aluminum to build Apollo; then trade for rubber & uranium to basically build the whole ship at once, in about 8 turns. A good thing, too, since by then all other avenues to victory were closed off. Never did it that way before, but I used the tech lead to my advantage since I lacked so many resources ... hadn't even had iron without trading for it.

14. jarred!

jarred! Chieftain

A commanding tech lead is good news... maybe time to move up a level?

15. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

Yes, I was thinking of that. At some point the lack of a challenge stops being fun.

16. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Chieftain

Maybe. At least, I'm thinking about it. Some other stuff I want to try at Regent, though, possibly including a larger than Standard map (which I've never done at any level).

17. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Chieftain

Question about governments - specifically, Monarchy vs. Republic.

Regent/Spain/Small/Continents. Going for an 80K victory. I missed the Republic slingshot, and so went to Monarchy instead so I could get Hanging Gardens (which the damn Celts got anyway), switched to monarchy right away to get out of despotism, and later mastered Republic without studying it.

How can I determine which is better (between the two)? If I'm not mistaken, Monarchy is better for war, Republic for peace. Also considering democracy (I learned it to get to FA and Shakespeare's) ... currently at war with Celts, but nothing's really happening. Thoughts?

18. r16

r16 not deity

republic means you will be a lot more in war , if you are doing quite good and lead the pack , say in science . You can still fight in Republic but a moment will come 50% science 50% luxury will no longer suffice , nor sliding up to 100 and you will badly want to be a monarch . ı have never seen a benefit of Democracy , even if it's supposed to give benefits in production , according to wikipedia and ı understand that to be shields , but never had them .

19. justanick

justanick Chieftain

Republic is best. Anarchy is worst. That is the essence of it. Avoiding unnecessary anarchy tends to be the major consideration. So for simplicity just stick to to despotism -> anarchy -> republic.

While there are times when monarchy is slightly better than republic those times tend to be short and the advantages of republic in the remaining time are significant.

20. Buttercup

Buttercup Chieftain

I'd say it would be situationally dependent. Most of your play, at least that we hear about, is the min/maxing form of play where you're permanently attempting to improve your game regardless if you actually need to or not. In your case, the maximising is your need, but if a player is just playing for random abstract fun then that isn't a need.

In terms of abstract fun games, Republic does have it's own very severe discomforts. Managing War Weariness is extremely tedious from a relaxed gaming point of view, and is more so on a Pangea than on an Island. The very nature of Republic tends to force you into not engaging in warfare in any serious way until you reach the Industrial age, so if you fancy just spamming Horses from the Ancient Age onwards, again particularly on a Pangea or large Continent, then both Despotism and Monarchy are heaps more relaxing.

When talking about Archipelago, or a situation where you've got a gazillion cities all with horrendous Corruption and you're playing the game in a more simulationist way by imagining you're a real life leader wanting to make a 'nice' empire, then converting to Communism makes for a much more pleasant gaming experience as you can build, build build to your heart's content with the added bonus of no War Weariness.

Then when talking about Tiny Pangea maps, then you can clear out everyone up to Emperor level difficulty just by spamming Archers in a Despotism.

The ones I never use or disliked when I did were: Feudalism, Democracy and Fascism. Feudalism only really has any use if you strangle all your cities to size 6, and then you still get War Weariness from your larger army. I'm sure there must be an ideal scenario for it, but I never found it. Like r16 says, I never noticed any benefits at all from Democracy even though the game implies there's supposed to be a big deal involved, really bizarre design decision there, it might be, like, 5% better than Republic but at the cost of the most hideous War Weariness imaginable? Fascism just seems ugly, and if you're playing for a war-spam game then you could have done that with Monarchy and if you're still at it by the time fascism comes around then you're probably not very good at warring anyway.