Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I queue things up often, but not always ... it depends on the individual city and situation. It's a nice option to have.

Good find Bartleby! :goodjob: In all the years of Civ 3 I never used the queue function. Where is that delete function, when klicking on the production window in that city? I was only able to delete it from the queue by using STRG and q.

"delete" should delete it.

https://wiki.civforum.de/wiki/Tastenkombinationen_(Civ3)

The queue is useful to remember your plans without having to write them down. This can be helpful in potentially laggy PBEMs.

Also it may save you from having to select the next project at a later point in time. Early in the turn you may not want to be bothered with having to do those kind of decisions. At the end of the turn i feel more comfortable to do this kind of planning ahead.

It can be a convenient feature once you are used to it. But as this instance shows one should not use the feature in a way that does create inconvience.

"delete" should delete it.

https://wiki.civforum.de/wiki/Tastenkombinationen_(Civ3)

The queue is useful to remember your plans without having to write them down. This can be helpful in potentially laggy PBEMs.

Also it may save you from having to select the next project at a later point in time. Early in the turn you may not want to be bothered with having to do those kind of decisions. At the end of the turn i feel more comfortable to do this kind of planning ahead.

It can be a convenient feature once you are used to it. But as this instance shows one should not use the feature in a way that does create inconvience.

That explains, why I never used that queue option. I never participated in laggy PBEMs. :D

It seems in that shortcut-list the entry is missing, that when having clicked in the production window of a city in the city screen, Strg-Q doesn´t quit the game, but deletes an item in the production queue of that city (as it does the delete key).

Hey again!

Drat, I should have deleted that before I uploaded the save! That was actually just me trying to sort out why it wasn't working :( If you delete that (by pressing the delete key, though at this point I might resort to burning the city to the ground anyway) you'll notice it's still not available to be built in any other cities, even on the following turn.

I think, at this point, that it's not a game mechanic that's the issue here, it's likely something that's gone awry in a script somewhere. I can't say I'm remotely close to being qualified to say that's the case, but at this point, I don't know that it's worth any more of your time, haha!

Thanks for everyone's input!

it will be available as soon as the AI gets within range of doing it . Like you will have still two turns left , when the computer announces it was completed by some other Civ .

If you delete that (by pressing the delete key, though at this point I might resort to burning the city to the ground anyway) you'll notice it's still not available to be built in any other cities, even on the following turn.

TrexKN, here I had very different results. After deleting it in the queue, that wonder was available for construction immediately. If you empty the queue in Veii completely, you can even switch the production from the Great Library to Magellan. I attache a save file with a little coastal town, that is now building that wonder and you can switch production to that wonder to every coastal town that has no production queue.

Attachments

• Magellan available, 1615 AD.SAV
    118.3 KB · Views: 177
  • Magellan.jpg
    Magellan.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 399
It seems in that shortcut-list the entry is missing, that when having clicked in the production window of a city in the city screen, Strg-Q doesn´t quit the game, but deletes an item in the production queue of that city (as it does the delete key).

I sense that you are mistaken.

It is Q that does something, not Strg-Q. Q loads a queue. Shift-Q saves a queue. This enables to reproduce a queue for other cities. Now what does happen if you have not saved a queue? Then presumably an empty queue is loaded. This does of course have the same effect as deleting an existing queue.

But Q is part of the shortcut-list, hence it is not missing. :crazyeye:

justanick, you are right. I tried it again in that Veii save file and clicking 'q' alone after clicking into the production window of the city screen did the job, so in that case it must be used twice (as it was with Strg-q) until Magellan was removed from the queue while the delete key is doing that job directly with the marked item. If the description in the list about the 'Q'-key in the city screen (when clicking here into the production-window) for deleting items in a preset queue is really helpful, is another question. For me these production queues still are looking more like a trap than a help. :crazyeye:

@ TrexKN: If you're in the U.S./U.K., you probably won't have a "Strg" key on your keyboard.....It's actually the Ctrl key! :)

What can cause an epic-game of Civ3 to CTD repeatedly and consistently?

On our long-since-retired-from-active-internet-duties WinXP laptop, I have a DG game in progress -- started it a long time ago, but got discouraged and put it on hiatus for months (years?) until the Christmas break, when I managed to turn the game around to the point where I think I can get into the running for a win. But I've run into a crash-point which is preventing me from progressing.

Spoiler What's been happening recently :
I was/am in the final stages of killing off the Spanish (with some help from Russia), but LUX%-spending vs. WW was/is slowing down my research, so the last save I made was just after razing Santiago and signing peace in 1615 AD, but before hitting End Turn. But Civ3 then started adamantly refusing to allow me to progress beyond that point. Yesterday I loaded that last save, hit end turn, got a pop-up notification of a new alliance (Celts + Carthage vs. Inca, I think), then boom ("Civ3 has encountered a problem and needs to close. Would you like to send an error report to Microsoft?"). This happened 3 or 4 times in a row, reloading from the same 1615 save each time.

Crap, I thought, that savegame must have got corrupted somewhere. So I went back to the 1615 autosave and replayed the turn, saved it after signing peace, hit End Turn... same thing happened, CTD. So I tried from the 1610 autosave, replayed through to the same point, doing (pretty much) the same things, crashed again. So I went back to the 1605 autosave -- same thing.

So now I'm getting pretty pissed off, so (still on the playthrough from 1605), I tried not making peace in 1615 (WW is being managed, Izzy's only got 3 towns left, so I'll just finish the job -- if Cathy's Tanks don't get there first -- rendering a PT moot). Hey, now I can finally reach 1620 AD! Fantastic, I'll just get 1 more combat-Settler lined up to put my Arty in range of Salamanca(?), and that's all she wrote, right? WRONG! BOOOOM! CTD, again!

:wallbash:
The only thing I can think of is the Settler-on-a-boat problem that plagues mods like CCM, but no-one in this game is down to their last town (AFAIK). I also can't remember if that bug even manifests in epic-games, especially when due solely to AI-on-AI eliminations...

(I can upload the relevant saves, if anyone wants to have a look at them)

Besides the so-called 'houseboat-bug' such kind of error messages, especially if they can be changed or delayed in the game, frequently can result from AI unit pathfinding errors, but also other problems can be responsable for such a crash. May be it´s a good idea to start the crash-turn with the multiplayer tool and to watch what can be the problem. If the multiplayer tool is not in use, may be the cause can be cleared by stealing the military plans of other civs and watching the movement of their units.

Hey folks!

I'm happy to report that I was wrong, and it's resolved! To anyone who'd like to know, what I hadn't realized was that you can add a wonder to the queue in as many cities as you'd like, but can't move it into the active position unless it wasn't in the queue in any other city. So in my current save, I had removed it from the queue in Veii, but hadn't removed it from the queue in another city, so I assumed incorrectly that it just wasn't working.

Again, I've never been happier to be wrong! Thanks so much for the continued support on this! What an odd thing for me to miss more than once!

I also learned something new re: the strg key, haha!

Thanks again, all! I appreciate the help from each and every one of you!

Just got my @$$ handed to me by a runaway Aztecs AI. Vanilla, monarch, continents/70%, India, 11 total civs. I wonder, HOW can they do better than me, if they have mere 14 cities (although all of them of 20+ size when I lost my temper), and me having about 50 of size 14-16, but they have a 100% science and 19000(!) gold on hand, 7 luxuries (1 native!) and about 6 techs ahead of me! Do they really cheat, or somehow they get coop'd into aztecs being the science powerhouse and all others (I suspect at least 5 civs under their belt) being cash cows for them? Well, I've made some mistakes on my hand as well, say I sat in Mon too long to the point of the transition to Rep double me gold surplus with 10% lux slider, and I had troubles fighting Japan for land at about 300AD, and should have pushed them quite a lot harder while I just grabbed frontier towns off em and left em alone.

Another question - what can make a civ on the other side of the world furious at me, if I'm at peace with them and only traded with lux/GPT with them? I don't remember having any trade disrupted in this game, also whenever I declared war on someone I had no troops on their side of borders.

Another question - what can make a civ on the other side of the world furious at me, if I'm at peace with them and only traded with lux/GPT with them? I don't remember having any trade disrupted in this game, also whenever I declared war on someone I had no troops on their side of borders.
No embassy, not much culture (while they have a lot), war with their friends, not much trading going on, different government. All of these could be factors.

Anyway: with 14 cities compared to your 50, they are not exactly "runaway", are they?? At Monarch that should still be winnable?! Perhaps post a .sav file to see what went wrong.

Anyway: with 14 cities compared to your 50, they are not exactly "runaway", are they?? At Monarch that should still be winnable?! Perhaps post a .sav file to see what went wrong.
Not sure if the current save would explain enough... but: they are already building UN, SETI and Manhattan (at once!), I am about 10 turns away from even landing on their shore even when I went to "cut a corner" through Persians, and they've got a war vs China and pulled all of their neighbors with MAs and MPPs on their side. At least I've snagged a Hoover Dam off em to not let em have ridiculous production. They ran away some hundred turns before while I was fighting Japan the second time, this time for extra 3-4 cities and with cavalries vs rifles, they got ToE built but went towards Flight so I researched Electronics first - no one gave me money worth selling that tech, and Aztecs got it a turn before me finishing Dam so I could trade it at least to someone. Still waaaay not enough.
No embassy, not much culture (while they have a lot), war with their friends, not much trading going on, different government. All of these could be factors.
Neither applies except govt: me Rep vs their Dem. I have read that razing a city counts as permanent attitude hit to everyone, that was C3C tho, but I only abandoned one city to better utilize ground, and it was size 1 (foreign tho, so might count). The only thing I can think about is that when Japs went against me, I pulled China vs them with a MA but agreed to peace several turns later. But hitting this for -10 at once? Noooooo.

Why does the game not register the correct amount of shields per turn? For example, it should not take 2 turns to build a tank that cost 100 shields if the city is producing say 105 shields. Any suggestions?

My guess is that the game works just fine and you are interpreting something wrong. But for any precise diagnosis more information is needed. The best way is usually to upload a savegame immediatly before the situation occurs.

Top Bottom