1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Dragon1965

Dragon1965 Chieftain

Yeah, couldn't find anything with *.sav, but I ran the game as administrator and bam, the game saved like a champ.

Thanks for the assist guys, much appreciated.

tjs282, Civinator and Aabraxan like this.
  2. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Remember to always run it as administrator.

Dragon1965 likes this.
  3. md4

md4 Chieftain

I'm fairly sure I've read that you can avoid the whole virtualstore issue by installing it to somewhere other than Program Files (such as simply "C:\Civ3"). It might save some headaches down the road.

tjs282 likes this.
  4. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

That certainly works for earlier versions of Windows. The only Windows 10 computer we have here is a work-only device (except for a certain somebody sneakily installing World of Tanks) so I haven't been able to do some much-needed testing.

5. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

What does it mean that a Wonder has become "obsolete"? I assume that means that whatever ongoing effect it has ceases. But what about something like the Great Library? The only effect it has is to give a free tech.

6. md4

md4 Chieftain

The Great Library gives you any technology known to at least 2 other civilisations, and it continues to do this as other civilisations discover and trade new technologies. It is obsoleted by Education. You might be thinking of The Theory of Evolution, which immediately gives you 2 free technologies upon construction.

tjs282 and WeirdoJoker like this.
  7. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

*civilizations you're in contact with

tjs282 and Fergei like this.
  8. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

I did not realize the effect continued. I have not built the GL in so long I never noticed it had done that. I thought it was a one-time thing.

9. vmxa

vmxa Deity

To be clear, the Great Lib is obsolete, when the owner learns Education. That means, that you can capture it later and gain all the tech known by at least two other civs, that you know, as long as you have not learned education. The importance of this is in games like Deity and Sid, when you deliberately avoid Education to gain the techs.

Fergei likes this.
  10. Dragon1965

Dragon1965 Chieftain

Wow, didn't know of that limitation.

11. justanick

justanick Emperor

There are a few exceptions to this rule. You can only gain those techs that you have the prerequisite for. One would assume that this is always the case and it is almost always the case. But there a few exceptions. Music theory seems to be one of them, amphibic warfare is another one and possibly space flight,too. The later is not confirmed.

As i recall it the techs are checked in the order in which they are listed in the editor. This means that a few techs would only be gained a turn later by which time the wonder has come obsolete already.

Samson likes this.
  12. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

The Great Library can result in your suddenly meeting a new civ and gaining several new techs in the interturn. It that happens you were in trouble and you still will be, because by then the AI (which cheats) will have already built itself an entire new level of city improvements e.g. Universities and Banks which will result in a *lot* of extra science expenditure. It's still better than nothing, of course.

13. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Has anyone noticed a practical difference between playing the Ottomans and Persia (both Scientific/Industrious), apart from the different unique units (Immortal/early Ancient vs. Sipahi/late Middle)?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  14. CKS

CKS Deity

No, but I like playing the Ottomans better. I like Sipahi better than Immortals, but this may not be the whole reason.
    I also like playing the Koreans better than I like playing the Greeks, despite the fact that hoplites are a better UU for me (since I'm never prepared to be attacked early on) and I often don't get around to building H'wacha before they are obsolete.

WeirdoJoker likes this.
  15. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Same here. Not only that, but I'd hate to build a bunch of Immortals for an invasion (which I rarely do in the Ancient Age, anyway), then trigger a GA at that time as opposed to at a later, more opportune time.
    For some reason I like the Greeks better ... I have basically never even used a H'wacha that I can remember.

16. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

I've noticed no difference except for the UUs. That said, the different UUs make for an entirely different game. Do I want to crush my neighbor early, or later?

vorlon_mi likes this.
  17. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Medieval Infantry twenty techs earlier and for 25% less? Are you nuts? Persians hands down.

18. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Immortals are definitely an early war powerhouse.

19. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Also I have to say that Immortals and their scimitars vs. pistol-wielding Sipahis reminds me, more than anything else, of Indy vs. the swordsman in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

vorlon_mi and Aabraxan like this.