1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. del62

del62 Chieftain

Did the Incan's and Mayan's definetely noeach other at the time?

2. Snarkhunter

Snarkhunter Chieftain

No. The Mayan city states were long gone before the Inca Empire &, for that matter, there is very little evidence of contact of any kind between the Incas and mesoAmerican civs. For details, try Diamond's twin volumes, Guns, Germs, and Steel & The Collapse.

kk

3. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

I think he meant the civ game, not real life. But good job with the historic facts.

4. Nergal

Nergal Chieftain

Its a relatively easy one ... The Maya didnt know the Inca at the time.

5. Hellfiredoom

Hellfiredoom Chieftain

Inca was on one end of the continent and Maya on the other, with the Hittites and Byzzies in between. I always assume the AIs are good at meeting each other, especially on a pangea (sp?) map, but for whatever reason maybe that didn't happen this game.

Thx!

6. Snarkhunter

Snarkhunter Chieftain

That's what I get for taking a chance on reading the newest page of a thread when it jumps & not checking the end of the previous page :lol:

kk

7. Nergal

Nergal Chieftain

You would be surprised. I've often tried to get alliances and found Civs not being aware of each other, even when the territory layout would make it seem likely they would. I'm never sure whether its a deliberate move so I cant get allies or just circumstances.

8. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

Civs sometimes share borders and do not communicate. AI is just silly sometimes.

9. Hellfiredoom

Hellfiredoom Chieftain

Roger that! :lol:

10. G.O.B.

G.O.B. Chieftain

Is it possible to disband a city? I've been able to do it if you build a settler when the population is less than 3. The scenario is that i took over a city and accidentally clicked install a new governor instead of raze it to the ground. So i have this city in the middle of the other civ, and its going to defect in like 2 turns. Any tips?

11. Turner

Turner Chieftain Retired Moderator

Right click on the city and see if there's a 'disband city' option.

12. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

If you right-click on the city there should be the option to abandon.
    I believe was added in one of the patches or in one of the expansions, so if you don't have the option you should upgrade. :p

edit: crosspost due to slow typing.

13. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Chieftain

Returning player here, looking to actually learn civ 3 now that I got complete cheap on steam!
    1) How do the mechanics of pop ruhing work? How many shields per pop, how much unhappiness for how long and any other little things i.e. civ 4 Slaving makes use of :hammers: multipliers. Is it worth making a lot of use of?
    2) What determines whether or not an AI is willing to sell you its workers?
    3) Are there any mods or things out there that help reduce micromanagement by making ingame info more available (like civ 4 BUG). I did try civ asist before and from what I remember it was more for making micro more accurate, and not much use for reducing the amount of clicking.

14. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

1) I don't poprush enough to tell you off the top of my head the shields/pop ratio, but I do know that the unhappiness wears off at 20 turns per citizen and that it wears of consecutively; if you rush something for two citizens there'll be unhappiness for 40 turns [20 turns at two unhappy and 20 at one unhappy].
    2) The AI will always sell available workers if you can afford them, but they're only available to trade when they're inside the AI capital city and you own a city on the same landmass.
    3) Civassist II is probably the most comprehensive utility for compiling in-game data, but you can also try CRpMapstat (you can find it through the thread in the utilites subforum). Mapstat is a smaller program but it's still good for keeping track of unhappiness and that sort of stuff.

15. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

16. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Chieftain

Thanks both,
    The food->shield rate is pretty nice, but that 20 turn unhappiness is painful.....
    I did some playing around with it myself and found some interesting things,
    • It appears rush shields don't get hit by the waste penalty.
    • There is a penalty for rushing something that has no shields invested. Not sure if it was a flat +1 pop needed, but its clearly not worth bothering in such cases.
    • As trait buildings reduce the cost of buildings the whip definately works well here.
    So to get the most from it would need low pop whips in far out cities that would otherwise suck. Swords or the more expensive early UUs seem like a good idea for whipping.

Is there anything like Worldbuilder? Testing things without it is quite slow.

Incidentally is there a list of trait buildings around? I would have thought for example, that a Granary would be an Agricultural improvement. The civilopedia is not helpful at all for this.
    I was hoping for an ingame mod to just simplify how the info is displayed, things like adding a numerical shield display in the building box, actually being able to see how much techs cost especially when trading and a partial rewrite of the civilopedia would go a long way. Guess I will have to get used to desktopping for civassist, thanks anyway.

17. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Well, I don't do a lot of pop-rushing, but I can tell you how the gold/shields exchange rate works. If you're cash-rushing, each remaining shield costs 4 gold, as long as you have at least 1 shield invested. That might just be pre-economics, as I seem to recall some other way to make cash-rushing more efficient, but I can't think of what it is, off the top of my head. Aaaaanyway, if you're cash-rushing with 0 shields in the bin, each shield costs 8 gold. What many players do is either disband something to get the first few shields in the bin, then cash rush; or short-rush by rushing something small (a worker), then swapping to something larger and rushing again. For example, to rush a 100-shield item, it's 800 gold to rush it from 0 shields. OTOH, short-rushing costs 80 shields for the worker, then another 360 gold for the last 90 shields, for a total cost of 440 gold. (I might be a little rusty here, fellow CFCers, so correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

And no, rushed shields do not suffer from waste.

Buidings:
    Scientific: libraries, universities, research labs.
    Religious: temples, cathedrals
    Seafaring: harbors, commercial docks.

(Again, I might be rusty . . . )

18. splunge the 2nd

splunge the 2nd Chieftain

I think agricultural trait civs get "ecologic" improvements cheaper solar power plant, recycling plant etc but I've never tried it.

19. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Not sure about cheap harbor for Sea, but I do know Mil gets cheap harbors.

20. darski

darski Regent in Training

Where would one look for the info about cheap improvements?

I tried "the academy" but nothing looked likely.
    Would tribes tell you?