Quick answers

I thought they changed that with conquests...

tested, confirmed. a worker can be captured by a non-ampbibious unit from sea

Regarding mobilization –

I haven’t mobilized in a long time, but my understanding of how it works in C3C is that there are some things you can build and get extra shields (units with attack/defense values), some things you can build and not get extra shields (workers, settlers, barracks, bombardment units, etc.), and some things you can’t build at all (“non-military” structures).

I also believe that if you switch from a build that gets you extra shields to a different permissible build that does not give you extra shields, then you keep the extra shields you earned from previous turns.

For example, if you want to build a settler in a town that gets 2 spt when building a unit, but only 1 spt without the bonus shields, then you can set the town to cavalry, earn 2 spt for 15 turns, then change to a settler and have it be completed immediately whereas it really “should” take 30 turns to build a settler.

Obviously, since the game works this way (I think – if I’m wrong just correct me and try not to make fun of me too much), the best approach to use is build units in every town until you have the necessary shields then change to what you really want (note that there are still things you just can’t build at all). The MTDG ruleset is silent on this. I believe doing this is legal in both GOTM and HoF games mainly because it is effectively impossible to ban – how can you tell people they can’t change their minds and switch what they are building?

Nonetheless, this “feels” like an exploit to me, so I wanted to get some other opinions. Can we just not change builds once mobilized? Is “intent” relevant? Or is this just part of the game, and all teams have the same ability to use this method?

I'm not sure if it works that way or not - frankly, I haven't noticed either of the times that I've mobilized myself.

But if it does work, you can be sure that I will be using this technique - NOT exploit, in my opinion - in all situations where I mobilize.

Personal opinion: Since the technique is available to all teams, there is no reason to ban it. After all, each team has shielded the production of a wonder with a palace biuld. This is the same category of technique. I would hope that reasonable people would agree.

if it actually works this way, I think the inability to build non-military structures acts as all the check that is necessary in this case

RegentMan said:
That's how I view it as well. A little immoral, but legal nonetheless.
I disagree that it is immoral because it is a technigue open to all players and as such, everyone can use this technique if they want.

At the risk of spamming the thread...

I disagree that it is immoral because it is a technigue open to all players and as such, everyone can use this technique if they want.

You're saying that because everyone can do it, it is moral? Hmm. Last time I checked there were numerous techniques to commit murder, but that doesn't make it moral.

DISCLAIMER: I am not saying that I agree that taking advantage of a seeming flaw in the planning/programming of nationalism is immoral. I just do not agree with this reasoning and simply couldn't resist making the above statement.

Mind is coming up blank...

When we get Mil Tradition, will all our knight builds convert to cavalry? Or will they stay knight unless we switch them?

gbno1fan said:
At the risk of spamming the thread...

You're saying that because everyone can do it, it is moral? Hmm. Last time I checked there were numerous techniques to commit murder, but that doesn't make it moral.

DISCLAIMER: I am not saying that I agree that taking advantage of a seeming flaw in the planning/programming of nationalism is immoral. I just do not agree with this reasoning and simply couldn't resist making the above statement.
How is taking advantage of the rules, being wrong?

So I bet that you would say that it is wrong for us to start a building with engingeers and thus making it 3 times quicker than normal to build.

Classical Hero said:
How is taking advantage of the rules, being wrong?

Read my disclaimer, where I state:

me said:

gbno1fan said:
Mind is coming up blank...

When we get Mil Tradition, will all our knight builds convert to cavalry? Or will they stay knight unless we switch them?

fe3333au said:
IIRC they automatically change

Can someone find out exactly when they change? I've already started playing and moved some stuff, so I can't do it :(. We are going to discover Military Tradition on turn 166. If our cities are set to knights, but they have 80+ shields in the bin on turn 166, will they complete a knight or a cavalry?

(I'm in micromanagement hell here).

Top Bottom