• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Quick Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

If I have 10 barracks in my empire and I build Sun Tzu's war accadamy I now get automatic barracks everywhere on the continent without maintance costs.

Do the old barracks get disbanded to produce wealth automatically?

Do I have to find all those barricks and sell them manually 1 turn before Sun Tzu?

@budweiser: Yes, under the same provisos as in PTW (city in range not building a wonder and forest within cultural borders of your civ, I believe).

@captain chaos: The barracks you had built before stay around and can be sold even after Sun Tzu is built, but they do not cost you maintenance. If you lose Sun Tzu, those barracks are still there. Whether to sell them for the 20 gold you would get or keep them as insurance vs. a rainy day is your decision.

Arathorn

Originally posted by Arathorn
@captain chaos: The barracks you had built before stay around and can be sold even after Sun Tzu is built, but they do not cost you maintenance. If you lose Sun Tzu, those barracks are still there. Whether to sell them for the 20 gold you would get or keep them as insurance vs. a rainy day is your decision.

Arathorn
Same is true for grainaries and the pyramids. you might want to hold to those grainaries and barracls. After all, they don't cost money to upkeep.

I believe this is true, at least that's what they claim... :)

Quick question.

What the heck is the go with catapults? Can they attack at all??

And does coal only appear on the map after railroad?? I have a nice big empire, with no rail roads, as I didn't realise I need coal, and on the whole world map there is only 2 pieces, already under rival civs control...

Originally posted by Tsargrad
What the heck is the go with catapults? Can they attack at all??
They can, but only via bombarding. The following is from the Civilopedia entry for the catapult :

That attack rating of 0 means it can't attack just by trying to move to the same tile as an enemy unit. The bombard section on the right shows a range of 1, which means you can bombard (there's a unit command button especially for this) any enemy units or improvements within a 1 tile radius.

And does coal only appear on the map after railroad??
Almost right. Coal only appears on the map after Steam Power is researched. If you look up Coal in the Civilopedia you'll see the following :

This dependency on a tech also applies to many of the other strategic resources a well.

With minerals, do they have to be mined to get full benefit, like coal, saltpeper, aluminium, or just roads??
Just road them to connect them to your road network. It can also be strategically useful to temporarily disconnect them so you can build obsolete units, then connect them again so you can upgrade them. I.e. Disconnecting Iron, building lots of warriors, connecting the Iron again, then upgrading those warriors to swordsmen.

Originally posted by budweiser

Do you still get 10 shields if you chop down a tree in C3C?

Yes, you get the shields in C3C. Base turns for forest chopping worker action have been decreased in C3C (IIRC 4 turns instead of 10 in vanilla) , so maybe your shields did not arrive in expected time, and as possible result, the shields could have been wasted: As Arathon mentioned, you might have started to chop down when the nearby city had still 7 turns to complete a wonder, because you expected the boost for the next (no wonder etc) build progress in the city (3 turns after wonder completion, base turns aply in this case).
I haven't tried to chop down a forest which was self planted on a 'ever-forest-free' tile in C3C, though.

Originally posted by Arathorn
@budweiser: Yes, under the same provisos as in PTW (city in range not building a wonder and forest within cultural borders of your civ, I believe).
;)
As it was in vanilla/PTW, you can actually get the 10 shields if the forest is outside your cultural borders, but the forest tile must be inside the area of a ('theoretical') fat X.

About forest chop/wonders in general: if the forest tile is in 'fat-X-range' of 2 (or more) cities, you would never waste the shields when (at least) one city does not build a wonder (that is, the no-wonder building city should have still space for the 10 shields in the production box and more than one turn to completion left, otherwise there would be waste;)).
In other words: you could occasionally control where the shields go by temporarily switching the production of one (or more) cities in range to a wonder (note that this is only possible if that city hasn't got forest shields, pop-rush 'shields' or such similar into the actually accumulating production box before). Distance of the forest tile to any in-range city center square doesn't matter in that regard. E.g. forest shields next to a wonder building city's center square will got to the no-wonder building city, which may be even two tiles away:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/wald7.jpg
(test made in vanilla, but worked for me in C3C as well with a temporary FP switch; switch can just be performed 1 turn before the worker finishs the chop-job)
Nifty measure to make sure the shields got to 'right' city.

See also this thread for more info/pics, thanks to USC for sharing this special 'show-stopper'.:)

Not at least with the game...

Iäm not sure if it is even possible... But I'd like it too. :)

Is there any way to play the proper world in Civ III where the civilizations start from their original locations?

Unless you have Play the World, or Conquests, then it is not possible :(

If you do, then here's how you do it...

Start the program Civ3xedit
Open the desired map, which is in the Scenario's folder (ie Earth_Standard_Matt)
Then systematically go round every starting location, right click on them, and choose "Reassign"
This will bring up a menu, click on the 3rd circle from the top, and then choose what Civilisation you want to start there (from the drop-down menu)
After you've edited al the starting locations, then simply save it as, "My Map" for example.

East as that :)

Cool thanks. Must get Conquests... What size Map we talking here as Standard?? actually I don't even know how big the largest one is on Civ 3 that generates itself

I don't quite understand your question...

For your average huge map, the size is 160 x 160 squares.
The largest sized map possible however, is 362 x 362 squares.

Could you rephrase your question?

Sorry, yeah will rephrase...

What size is the standard map, and what size is the largest one playable on Civ 3 without creating your own.

Perhaps they aren't but the largest still seem smaller than in Civ 2

Oh.

The largest size playable, without creating your own, is Huge. 160 x 160 squares
The Standard Size map is 100 x 100 squares

I can't really remember much about Civ 2, but the maps do seem a little smaller...

Might have to create my own. 362 x 362 would be awesome.. Now I would love to see a world map done to this amount.. Maybe not as high as has to be accurate... But man would take months to do I imagine..

I thought there was a way to display the civ name in the info box under each city. Am I imagining something?

Yes, go onto the preferences screen and choose "Colour Blind Help" :)

I don't like it though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom