Quick Modding Questions Thread

I think "find", sorry i was very sleepy when i wrote this post.

If you mean by "unlocking a technology increases a terrain's yield", there are probably a few out there that do so as one of their features. (Although you would have to sift through their code and find out which).

If you want a similar workaround, go to Assets/XML/Terrain/Civ4ImprovementInfos, and modify the section <TechYieldChanges/>

Spoiler :

<TechYieldChanges>
<TechYieldChange>
<PrereqTech>TECH_BIOLOGY</PrereqTech>
<TechYields>
<iYield>1</iYield>
<iYield>0</iYield>
<iYield>0</iYield>
</TechYields>
</TechYieldChange>
<TechYieldChange>
<PrereqTech>TECH_GENETICS</PrereqTech>
<TechYields>
<iYield>1</iYield>
<iYield>0</iYield>
<iYield>0</iYield>
</TechYields>
</TechYieldChange>
</TechYieldChanges>

When playing on low quality graphics setting (for big MODS) some buttons appear small and blurry. It just doesn't look good. Because I don't have Photoshop I had to find another solution. I did find info on the forum but fixing the buttons required Photoshop :(

But I found a simple (and free) solution:

1. Download and install NVIDIA Texture Tools and select DDS Utilities:

Here: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nv_texture_tools.html

2. Run nvDXT

3. Use these commandline parameters:

nvDXT -file my_blurry_button.dds -nomipmap -dxt3 -fadeamount 0

The fixed buttons can then be found in the DDS Utilities map (they have an underscore attached). Wildcards are allowed so you can fix a whole bunch at once.

Maybe someone has figured this out before but I couldn't find it on the forum so I decided post it. :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=278459

I'm stuck on step 2 as nvdxt runs and closes right away and can not type in the DOS window

BTW thanks to everyone answering all my questions all over the place:)

I gave up trying on my nvDXT problem. Was looking into creating my ow new buttons to fix the minis. Is there an easier, more up to date or better way to make buttons than "The Complete Idiot's Guide to GIMP: Making Buttons for Units!"?

Those instructions suck, been at it all day and lost a laptop out the window. I've never used GIMP before today. Can someone explain button making as I think I was using a different version of GIMP then the one who wrote the instructions as a 3rd of the steps I was lost in.

this is a button maker, made by someone posted somewhere, it has some of my own additions, and I included my tutorial that I made for my mod team on making a unit button. Most of the knowledge is transferable to any button though.

Downloaded Thanks I'm looking at it now. The tutorials I have finished, my end result is still a mini button no better than the original mini button I'm trying to get rid of. The presets are awesome and I understood the tutorial very well. I didn't know what a lot of the icons even meant.

I got to the step where I hold shift + O to remove the pink border smoothly. When I do that step removes part of my pic as well and leaves parts of the pink border. I continued to finish the tutorial without removing the pink. Button is full size in game just doesn't have the rounded edges. Is there a way to remove the pink maybe before I put my image in?

no, pink border is the last thing to remove. You need to use the select by colour tool in the tutorial, to remove it. if your picture goes into the pink border, it will break the button if you leave it there. (I think)

what do you mean by a mini button?

I'm just trying to resize them so they are the proper size. So I took pic of the leaderheads during the diplomatic screen, cut/cropping them to 64x64 with irfanview(haven't figured how to do that in PhotoShop or GIMP yet.) Most of my attempts have failed because its another mini button

Removing the pink removes part of the image in the pic, which is not even pink. It doesn't matter where on the pink border I press shift+O, ctrl+x it removes something from the pic. When I cut in one spot removes a cloud and leaves a black background or if I cut in another spot removes skin color and leaves it black.

When I say mini button I mean when looking at a civilization the leaderheads, UU or the UB those square buttons are smaller than the regular size that they should be. Included pic

Attachments

• Button Problem.jpg
    Button Problem.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 83
ok, I just made this using the button maker.

Does this work ok for you if you put it in game?

Just finished reinstalling BTS and it worked and now don't seem to be having the mini button problem with any of the others ATM.

New question.
I have added new civs to the game, downloaded from this page. But one new thing I would like to do is replace the "Native Americans" was two or three proper civs like Iroquois, Sioux, Huron etc. While I know how to add those civs, is it possible to remove the "Native American" civ from the game?

New question.
I have added new civs to the game, downloaded from this page. But one new thing I would like to do is replace the "Native Americans" was two or three proper civs like Iroquois, Sioux, Huron etc. While I know how to add those civs, is it possible to remove the "Native American" civ from the game?

To remove Native Americans is a lot like adding a Civ because you need to edit all the same files. Best bet is to just edit these files below in a new mod and not in the base game by copying and pasting. Here is the run down. Hopefully I won't miss any.

CIV4LeaderHeadInfos
CIV4CivilizationInfos
CIV4ArtDefines_Leaderhead
CIV4ArtDefines_Building
CIV4ArtDefines_Civilization
CIV4ArtDefines_Unit
CIV4BuildInfos
CIV4BuildingClassInfos maybe?
CIV4UnitClassInfosCIV4UnitInfos
CIV4UnitInfos
CIV4GameText_Objects_BTS
CIV4GameText_DiplomacyText_BTS
CIV4GameText_Civilopedia_BTS

You could also just replace all of the native American stuff with Iroquois and then add the other two later on.

How can I make jungle provide half the chop production bonus of forests? Instead of 0.

Assets\XML\Units\CIV4BuildInfos.xml
Ctrl+F remove_jungle
Go to the Featurestructs bloc and in the iProduction tag put 15 instead of 0. If you scroll down you can see how it's done for chopping forests. Beware though that you have to do that manually for every other build action as well that would remove a jungle, such as building a cottage or workshop on a tile covered by jungle.

If I add religions, what needs to be done so they all can be founded in a single game? I read that the game only allows 7 in per game even if you have more.

How do I fix where the word range on the 1st screen shot to match like the word range in the 2nd screen shot where it fits in nicely.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    299.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 49
If I add religions, what needs to be done so they all can be founded in a single game? I read that the game only allows 7 in per game even if you have more.

You can have more it just will not show up in the city screen or religion screen properly. You need to merge in the code that supports it. I think it is Johny Smith who wrote the python code/mod. You will also need extra icons for the unfounded version of the religion for the religion screen.

How do I fix where the word range on the 1st screen shot to match like the word range in the 2nd screen shot where it fits in nicely.

You need to edit that pedia page's python and reduce the size of the font. It should be in the Unit page in the placeStats function. I test to see if the unit has a range (or work rate for workers). If it doesn't then I use fontSize =4 otherwise 3.

Top Bottom