Quick Modding Questions Thread

Are there any mods that put a limit to stacks? If not, is it simple to edit (like xml)? What limit would you suggest?

1. If you mean unit per tile, yes, there are some: AND2, C2C, VIP, FFH2 are a few I recall.

2. No, it's not that easy.

Me again... Looking to mod terrain a bit, which I'm sure should be easy with xml. Some things I can figure out easily enough, like changing yields. However, I'm not sure how to add an improvement to a terrain's list (such as putting cottages in desert). Would I just copy/paste the info from grassland/plains? Or is it a little more complicated?

By the way, Thanks Will

Me again... Looking to mod terrain a bit, which I'm sure should be easy with xml. Some things I can figure out easily enough, like changing yields. However, I'm not sure how to add an improvement to a terrain's list (such as putting cottages in desert). Would I just copy/paste the info from grassland/plains? Or is it a little more complicated?

By the way, Thanks Will

There are 3 files you need to look at when dealing with improvements. Terrain, Improvement (both in the Terrain folder) and Build in the Unit folder.

The BuildInfos is used to increase or decrease costs when features are on the terrain. It can also stop the improvement happening until a given tech for individual terrain features.

Then you need to give the Build to a unit so they can make the improvement.

If you just want cottages on desert then you just add desert in the list of Terrains Make Valid as you say.

There are 3 files you need to look at when dealing with improvements. Terrain, Improvement (both in the Terrain folder) and Build in the Unit folder.

The BuildInfos is used to increase or decrease costs when features are on the terrain. It can also stop the improvement happening until a given tech for individual terrain features.

Then you need to give the Build to a unit so they can make the improvement.

If you just want cottages on desert then you just add desert in the list of Terrains Make Valid as you say.

It was just an example, but it is one thing I want to do. Thanks; I'll make sure to check those files out!

I remember there being a way to re-arrange the order of which added leaders and civilizations appear on the Custom Game screen years ago, but I can't seem to remember how to do this.

At the moment the ones that I added appear at the bottom of their respective drop-downs, as opposed to in alphabetical order.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

It is simply according to how they are listed in leaderinfo xml

Except that isn't true for me. They're somewhat alphabetical... But somewhat not. I see no rhyme nor reason in them.

The default leaders are arranged alphabetically in the leaderinfo file. Whatever new additions you created has to back inserted at correct place in the file if you still want everything in alphabetical order.
All entries in modular files will be added after the default leaderinfo file

It is simply according to how they are listed in leaderinfo xml

You mean civilizationinfos.xml, right?

The default leaders are arranged alphabetically in the leaderinfo file. Whatever new additions you created has to back inserted at correct place in the file if you still want everything in alphabetical order.

Yup, it appears that making a unified civilization infos in my modules folder to overwrite my modular files seems to have done the trick. Things look a lot cleaner now.

This isn't true for me though, as far as I can see. A random example:

http://i.imgur.com/FSt31Ma.png (notice Abu Bakr almost at the top)
http://i.imgur.com/lf262qI.png (look at how far down Abu Bakr is)

EDIT: Is there a way to make forests and jungles much more visible when a city is founded on them? In basic Civilization IV, features - such as forests - are removed when a city is founded there, which I changed, but I'd like it to be easily visible whether a city is inside a forest or a jungle. Currently, practically all of the trees simply go away, even though the forest or jungle is still there.

Alt+O might fix that I think.

Nope tried that. One perspective is way to flat, the other is way too far away, or at last seems that way. It really messes with my vision and I can't bring myself to play as the field of view seems wrong and messes with me.

Looks like I may just have to reinstall. :mad:

It depends on the mod and what was added and if it was designed with MP in mind. You won't really know until you try a mod in multiplayer and do/don't get any crashes when playing. Out Of Sync (OOS) errors are the most common problem, some mods actually try to improve this compared to vanilla.

Theoretically yes it is possible if you both(all) have the same mod active. Beyond that it is trial and error to see if you hit a bug.

This has been bugging me for at least half a dozen of hours now. I've tried many variations, but nothing seems to work... See, I can either make cities not remove terrain features they're built on (forests, jungles, floodplains...), and add an exception for floodplains so that they remain existing or respawn, or I can go the opposite road and have cities not remove terrain features and then remove forests and jungles in a city tile. But nothing works.

For example:

Code:
	def onCityBuilt(self, argsList):
		'City Built'
		city = argsList[0]
		if (city.getOwner() == gc.getGame().getActivePlayer()):
			self.__eventEditCityNameBegin(city, False)	
		CvUtil.pyPrint('City Built Event: %s' %(city.getName()))
		if city.plot().getFeatureType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString("FEATURE_FOREST"):
			pPlot.setFeatureType(-1, -1)

This is supposed to check whether the city tile contains a forest, and if so, remove it. But, I consistently, no matter what I do, get a message along the lines of:

<bound method aiautoplay.oncitybuilt of <aiautoplay.aiautoplay instance at 0x370217B0>>

There's no crash or anything, but the forest persists.

It depends on the mod and what was added and if it was designed with MP in mind. You won't really know until you try a mod in multiplayer and do/don't get any crashes when playing. Out Of Sync (OOS) errors are the most common problem, some mods actually try to improve this compared to vanilla.

Theoretically yes it is possible if you both(all) have the same mod active. Beyond that it is trial and error to see if you hit a bug.

Do you happen to know if extra works? I don't want to make my friend download it just to find out it doesn't work. She's not use to manual modding, so if I ask her to do it, I don't want her to get mad at me for doing something pointless. :p

Do you happen to know if extra works? I don't want to make my friend download it just to find out it doesn't work. She's not use to manual modding, so if I ask her to do it, I don't want her to get mad at me for doing something pointless. :p
What's 'extra'? But, at least for Hot Seat, you can try that out yourself, of course.

What's 'extra'? But, at least for Hot Seat, you can try that out yourself, of course.

So, if it works on hotseat, it works online?

It is exactly what it sounds like. It adds extra leader traits, leaders, civs, techs, units, buildings, etc. Most of it is taken from Firaxis mods/scenarios, while the rest is inspired by civ 1-3 (like the scientific trait, which still isn't as good financial...). It's on the forum; you should check it out.

So, if it works on hotseat, it works online?

It is exactly what it sounds like. It adds extra leader traits, leaders, civs, techs, units, buildings, etc. Most of it is taken from Firaxis mods/scenarios, while the rest is inspired by civ 1-3 (like the scientific trait, which still isn't as good financial...). It's on the forum; you should check it out.
No. Generally, you can assume that a mod won't work online. Hot Seat plays like single player (when it comes to turns and code et cetera), with one or more humans instead of AI's. Multiplayer is different, and a lot of code needs to be made specially to account for that.

If this mod only adds XML things, however, then chances are it'll work online. But, try it out - can you launch an online game with only you and AI's? If that works fine, then it should probably work fine with you and another human as well.

I might be able to contribute expanded city lists and great people names to that (I'm in the process of adding all cities and great people names of Civilization III, V, and Rise of Nations - and possibly Empire Earth? - to my own mod, though it takes a lot of time because I want to read up on all of them :p). Do you have a link to this mod, perhaps?

Top Bottom