Quick question re: altering the units list

dannyevilcat

DESTROYER OF FURNITURE
I'm rearranging my unit list in the .bic file, so that the custom units are displayed in proper order their types (Modern Infantry listed with other foot units instead of below all the firaxis units, etc.)

My question is: I've knocked "leader" and "army" down the queue a bit. Will this cause a problem with the game? Will Great leaders still appear? Will their graphics still change according to what era you're in?

This is one of those unsolved misteries I still have yet. Like, what says that army, leader, worker and settler have different era models? Does it say "Unit in spot 1 (settler) changes to ... in later ages" or does it go by unit name instead "Settler changes to ... in later ages". If it just goes by the name, then if you rename it, you will have problems. If it goes by unit order, then adding units where you want them could cause problems.

This is something I would like FIRAXIS to clarify, so that we know what we can and cannot do without screwing up the unit animations.

Sorry i couldnt help, just wanted to let you know that you arent the only one with this question.

GIDustin

Well, at least I'm not the only one :)

Anyway, I'll probably have your answer in a few days anyway, since I've already gone and done it. Firaxis probably assumed no one would be insane enough to try it :lol: It took me several hours! Hopefully I didn't waste my time... I'll be pretty choked if I have to reinstall again.

Okay, reults are in. It was a disaster. I was able to build leaders from the start. Don't know about armies, but I'll assume that would have turned out suitably disastrous.

Crap, now I've got to reinstall and redo all the modding I've done!

did you change the settings under the general tab? Like leaders, Armies and such on the right hand side?

Originally posted by Neomega
did you change the settings under the general tab? Like leaders, Armies and such on the right hand side?

*sigh* no, I'd never ever noticed it :(

I've already reinstalled everything, and it really took me hours re-writing units in different spots on the list, and I just don't have the heart to go through that again, but it's still possible this would work...

The only thing I noticed, and I hope I can explain this properly, when I change a units name... you know how you get a pop-up saying you need to make a matching unit .ini? Well, since there was always a file already existing for the "new" unit I added, this pop-up didn't show up, except for with the leader and Army, even though I renamed them exactly as they appeared in the original spots. I guess it would also pop up for settlers and workers, too, but I didn't need to move them.
It almost seemed that just renaming them broke the link with ARMY MODERN, etc. in the units folder, but I'm probably mistaken.

Civ3MultiTool can rearange the unit list for you.

Any unit with era named folders will change FLCs automaticly
The unit will not change build list Icons, only ones in the right squares in the Units_32.pcx will change (see the units_32.pcx thread in the units forum) this will be fixed with PtW.

The pop-up on era named units may be a bug.

Top Bottom