1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Arjav Jain

Arjav Jain The CIVVER

I had a question to ask
    If I am making a wonder or Any building or unit and when it's half Complete I change my production from the thing being produced to something else will my Shields be wasted or they'll be taken in the building which is being produced now. Shields means hammers.

Also how is it determined what will come out of an ancient ruin is it random or there is some theory.

2. yew

yew Chieftain

Caravans from other civilizations have been dropping by and establishing trade routes.And then the trade screen says their revenue is 8 gold while my revenue is 6 but it is not said which city demands what goods(spices fur etc) and who is doing the buying and who is doing the selling. In Civ 2,you determined what goods the caravan carries and then send the caravan to the city has the demands.Is it still the same in Civ 5?

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

The hammers invested in the building, wonder or unit you were building remain invested in that building, wonder and unit, but will decay over time (at least for buildings and units -- less clear that there is any decay for wonders). They do not carry over to the new thing being built.

It is random, but there is a 2-ruin "cooling off" period between ruin yields (i.e., if you get a free tech ruin, you will need to pop two more ruins (yielding other things) before you will get the opportunity for another tech ruin). Also, the same unit can only get an upgrade ruin once, you can't get faith ruins until turn 20 (and there are two different faith ruins -- one to get you a pantheon and another that boosts you towards your next Great Prophet), and tech ruins can only give ancient and classical era techs. If you play as the Shoshone, the pathfinder unit can pick what yield it wants from ruins, but subject to these same limitations (cooling off period, etc.).

4. Browd

Totally different. Trade route yields are determined in large measure by resource diversity between the sending and receiving city, not what a given city wants. There are mechanics in the game (We Love the King Day, or WLKD, and City-State quests) that are driven by city or City-State demand for a luxury, but you satisfy those desires by acquiring a copy of the requested luxury by improving a copy in your borders, acquiring a copy through another City-State alliance, or trading for a copy from another civ (through the trade screen, not caravans).

5. Arjav Jain

Arjav Jain The CIVVER

Thanks. But what are faith ruins and cooling period and who is shoshone the path finder and how will I get it.

6. Browd

If you are playing the vanilla game, there are no faith ruins or Shoshone civ or units.

Faith was introduced as part of the religion mechanics of the Gods & Kings expansion -- ruins in G&K and the Brave New World expansion can provide faith (like they can provide culture in the vanilla game), but not until turn 20.

The Shoshone are a civ that was introduced in the BNW expansion. The pathfinder is their unique unit -- a scout replacement -- that can pick its yield from ruins (but subject to the same restriction that applies to random ruin yields). Whether you are getting ruin yields randomly or are playing the Shoshone and getting to pick your ruin yields, you cannot get the same thing twice in a row -- in fact, you can't get the same thing in alternating ruins -- the minimum interval between ruins that can give the same thing is three ruins (hence my (made up) term "cooling off" period) -- so, the minimum sequence between, e.g., culture ruins, would be (1) culture ruin, (2) something else ruin, (3) different something else ruin, and (4) culture ruin (if the random number generator gods choose to give you culture again at the first opportunity).

7. Arjav Jain

Arjav Jain The CIVVER

Thanks a lot Browd. You're the only one who seems to help everyone. Thanks a lot again.

8. Arjav Jain

Arjav Jain The CIVVER

Again want to ask a doubt

Is there any graphics pack that enhances the terrain of civ 5. If yes pls give a link

9. Greggy08

Greggy08 Warlord

a little question...
    does airplanes benefit from great generals??

10. Meisterjaeger77

Meisterjaeger77 Chieftain

Can't help with questions above, but another question:

Im fairly new to Civilization 5. I am playing since Civ3 and spend quite a lot of time with Civ4 and RFC/DoC, so while I never went for that nasty deity wins, I would call myself quite decent and understand the games and general strategies. I played 2 games on prince with Rome and Japan and won with Domination and Diplomatic. I think I still have the habit of running wide empires and like to go aggressive, but in my next game, I would like to try religion a bit more and build a more tall empire, while still having some good military options thanks to an UA or UU or something. Any civ you guys can recommend?

11. Greggy08

Greggy08 Warlord

I'd reccommend you to try poland as it is a very flexible civ which has a UA that's useful for whatevere victory you are going for even with not so good UA/UB

Arabia is also a good complete choice... bazar is great camel is great... UA good

Babylon/Korea are the strongest science civ in the game so if you want to try well i'd choos one of these

I like very much Venice (hard to play if you are new to some of the mechanics of this game), Shoshone (pathfinder is awesome) maybe are not so strong civ but they are pretty fun,
    Spain is fun to play too but you need a bit of luck...

12. Sedivy

Sedivy Chieftain

Until recently I thought that even if you get taken over by someone else's religion, your pantheon belief is still kept and will not change, though the religion you created (if you did at all) will be gone (assuming of course all cities including the capital are affected).
    But in the last two games I played, I noticed that was not the case and my pantheon belief was also gone. Was this always like this and I was just misinformed and did not pay enough attention, or is this some recent change?

13. Browd

It has always been like this.

14. Sedivy

Sedivy Chieftain

Ahh ok. Much appreciated.

15. Greggy08

Greggy08 Warlord

The only way you can keep your pantheon is going piety so maybe if you changed policies in the last game you can see some changes

16. Browd

The Piety policy Religious Tolerance does not preserve your pantheon. If you take that policy and your pantheon happens to still be the second most followed religion in a city, you will get your pantheon belief in addition to the majority religion. However, pantheons exert no pressure, so it will disappear fairly quickly. Also if you didn't found your own religion, you should not be sinking culture into Piety policies in the first place.

17. Arjav Jain

Arjav Jain The CIVVER

Can anyone pls explain which version are you all talking about.

18. Sedivy

Sedivy Chieftain

Yeah it wasn't a piety tree issue. I normally establish a religion and keep it in my capital at least, and since my pantheons are often based on the land around my capital, that's why I think I never noticed. I wanted to see how much of a difference having your own religion had though. And the answer was, pretty big, if I chose an op pantheon for whatever starter civ/land I had. If I got unlucky and ended up just taking whatever was left over, then by the time I founded my own religion, it could be easier to have same religion as another civ (cause all the good buildings were gone) and having same religion as neighbours sometimes helped if I was worried about dows and being missionary spammed to death anyway.
    I'm talking about BNW.

19. Greggy08

Greggy08 Warlord

I know but maybe when someone first convert your cities you keep your pantheon for some time

BNW ( Brave new world)

20. Arjav Jain

Arjav Jain The CIVVER

Okkk so that's why I wasn't able to understand anything.