1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

2. vesp3r1987

vesp3r1987 Warlord

I know this was answered somewhere around i just cant find it now... So i liberated Indonesia`s capitol and naturally my units were placed on the outside of his borders, however on the very next turn Indonesia popped up saying "why is your army at my border? Do you want war?" i mean WHAT?! i was going to just keep him alive so i can use his vote on the congress but after that msg i got really pissed at them and just took the city for myself. Shouldnt they be more grateful for liberating (they had no other cities) or that matter on their warmongering favor?

3. joncnunn

That's normal in Civ V. But you might have been able to avoid that popup if you had bought open borders with Indonesia for 1 or 2 GPT in the same turn you liberated them, which would have allowed having your units defending them to be inside their borders instead of at their border.

4. vesp3r1987

vesp3r1987 Warlord

Ye, right... i never though of that, i guess i just though they will be so much happy with me restoring them to life that they would even help me in my war. Not that it mattered, but it was kinda waste of time i guess, since more or less at that point i decided to give up on diplomatic victory and go for domination since most of the civs are on my continent...except Venice and Babylon

5. yew

yew Chieftain

It says that a city of mine has celebrated We love the king day because it has acquired Citrus.That particular city has no connection with another city of mine that does have Citrus.How did that city acquire Citrus without even having a road to connect it?There's no trade route either.

6. beetle

beetle Deity

No, as the AIs are like that. An AI that hates you that you recall to life can still pop up rude dialog boxes, but that is the worse they will do. You still had his votes. You severely overreacted to the dialog box, undoing the benefits you got from recalling him to life.

FWIW, in BNW nowadays, you automatically have OB with civs you liberate. This is a change from how recall-to-life used to work.

7. claudiupb

claudiupb King

There does not need to be a road connection for cities to benefit from the luxuries. They just need to be there. Either improve a luxury that is within your cultural borders, plant a city right on the luxury (and have the required tech to benefit from that luxury), or get it form a trade deal with the AI or from a city state (if you are allied with a city state you get the benefit from it's luxuries and strategic resources just as you have them yourself but you can't trade them). If you don't have any improved citrus it the territory maybe you got an alliance with a city state that has (sometimes you perform quests without even noticing).

8. Sclb

Sclb Emperor

Also, all you need for WLTKD is to have access to the luxury for 1 turn. After it triggers, feel free to sell the luxury with AI or trade it for something else. Selling your only copy of lux in the mid game is a great way to game this mechanic as also CS are likely to have a quest for it.

9. vesp3r1987

vesp3r1987 Warlord

I know that... jut sometimes AI pisses me off... especially cause i lack the option to actually react with words ingame. infact if there is a mod that would allow me to do more conversation options it would be awesome. It didnt matter at the end since i conquered the entire continent and am now ally of every CS on the map
    BTW i was in denunciation with Indonesia when they got conquered if that played a role when i liberated them

If that city is coastal and you have harbor in it and you also have another coastal city with connection to capitol and harbor then it is connected

10. claudiupb

claudiupb King

Yes but you don't need any city connection for the luxury benefit. It just has to be improved and within your cultural borders. If you planted a city on a unique luxury on a remote island halfway around the world, it would be instantly connected to the empire, no need to build a harbor. If some of your cities demanded that luxury, the following turn they will enter in the WLTK state.

11. vesp3r1987

vesp3r1987 Warlord

hmmm interesting, never actually knew i dont need connection to the city for that

12. Priyon

Priyon Chieftain

Do the roads built outside borders cost any money? I want to trade with a player but his empire is all the way on the other side on the huge map.

Secondly, is it possible to remove roads within borders, probably by having your own units 'raze improvements' like in previous Civ games?

13. Arjav Jain

Arjav Jain The CIVVER

14. Arjav Jain

Arjav Jain The CIVVER

Thanks a lot to everyone for helping me out for the victory types and policies. Thanks again.

15. claudiupb

claudiupb King

They do, in this case the one who built them pays for them, but everyone can use them while they are in no man's land.

It's not really worth maintaining caravans over a really long distance of unsettled terrain, because you also need to protect them. Barbs can spawn at any time, and you lose your trade routes and get even more barbs in the area. If the other city is outside of caravan range even with caravansary it's probably best to go for a closer city.

Yes, a worker will remove a road in one turn, when it's on a road tile, the worker has this option. Having military units razing roads is bad because you still pay maintenance for those road and you can't use it. Razing roads is only good to brake an opponent's city connection and make him lose a lot of money.

16. joncnunn

There's a lot of other War Academy articles, those marked with the Vanilla tag are for Vanilla.

17. vesp3r1987

vesp3r1987 Warlord

another quick question... i recently noticed every time i annex AI city (prince level) they are empty.... like missing basic buildings (monument, granary, watermill, shrine etc) The thing is those AI accumulate enough culture and faith to keep up with the rest and yet those buildings are always missing when i get the city. Are they selling all buildings just before they loose the city? And is that good economic strategy cause you`d think they are completely broke after 50+ turns of war with nukes flying both sides every 5 turns or so, and yet they still have enough money to offer for piece

18. Arjav Jain

Arjav Jain The CIVVER

Thanks Now I've got some nice articles for an easy cultural victory. ”9Ñ1”9Ñ1”9Ñ1”9Ñ1”9Ñ1”9Ñ1

19. Acken

Acken Deity

You have only 66% chance of getting most buildings in a capture.
    Some buildings have 0% chance: Defense buildings, monuments,...
    And some have 100% chance: wonders, amphitheaters,...

And the AI is finally not vry good ;)

20. vesp3r1987

vesp3r1987 Warlord

wow never knew there is a chance of getting those buildings... i always though you only reduce population of the city when you attack and capture it and about buildings i just though on last turn AI move all great works out of it and sell buildings so i get crappy ghetto :eek: