Quick Questions / Quick Answers

When dealing with distress, does the total deficit denote the needed food or needed production?
There's no difference, its just the average. If you need 6 more, you can add 6 food, or 6 hammers, or a mix that equals 6.

So I'm playing my first Vox Populi -game for long time. Two questions and I'm thankful if I get some answers:

1) How to know if I'm having the newest (best?) version of the mod? How to see which version I have currently and where is the possible newest version of the mod?

2) About the gameplay: I'm in the medieval era. I'm making tons of money, about +181 GPT. When I trade my extra luxury resource to other Civilization, they offer me about 25 GPT for one luxury - why so much? Is it like it scales with the amount of GPT they have or is it just bugged?

Also, isn't it contradictory that I have about -13 unhappiness "points" in total from poverty in the cities but yet I'm swimming in the pool of money, I have now like 1700 gold in the wallet with the +181 GPT value. Yet the game implies to me that I should make more money buildings in the city to "get" rid of the unhappiness points. My head is like - why? I have already money, why would I build buildings that give me just more "extra" money? Couldn't trade deals of luxury resources affect poverty happiness in the cities?

What do you guys think? Is there any viable logic behind this so I could maybe roleplay it through.... :)

EDIT [8:27pm]: In addition, why trade routes seem to be unefficient, for one trade route I would get 3 GPT as I have 181 GPT it doesn't affect basically at all?

Last edited:
So I'm playing my first Vox Populi -game for long time. Two questions and I'm thankful if I get some answers:
1) How to know if I'm having the newest (best?) version of the mod? How to see which version I have currently and where is the possible newest version of the mod?
To know you current version of the VP mod go to:

"...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(1) Community Patch\"

and open "(1) Community Patch (v 89).modinfo" you can see in the first lines there's a tag named "<Teaser>" where is specified the current version (i.e. date of the release)

To check the newest version go to:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/community-patch-project.497/?direction=desc

There you can see all the Titles of the Threads for VP Version sorted, in the top are the newest ones

2) About the gameplay: I'm in the medieval era. I'm making tons of money, about +181 GPT. When I trade my extra luxury resource to other Civilization, they offer me about 25 GPT for one luxury - why so much? Is it like it scales with the amount of GPT they have or is it just bugged?

Also, isn't it contradictory that I have about -13 unhappiness "points" in total from poverty in the cities but yet I'm swimming in the pool of money, I have now like 1700 gold in the wallet with the +181 GPT value. Yet the game implies to me that I should make more money buildings in the city to "get" rid of the unhappiness points. My head is like - why? I have already money, why would I build buildings that give me just more "extra" money? Couldn't trade deals of luxury resources affect poverty happiness in the cities?

What do you guys think? Is there any viable logic behind this so I could maybe roleplay it through.... :)

EDIT [8:27pm]: In addition, why trade routes seem to be unefficient, for one trade route I would get 3 GPT as I have 181 GPT it doesn't affect basically at all?

Is the +181 GPT your "empire wide GPT"?
Happiness/Needs is now local, therefore, each city must produce a certain amount of gold to meet the poverty threshold. Empire wide GPT from luxury trading won't increase you cities' gold output, so it won't help on fixing poverty. There are also buildings that reduces poverty, like aqueducts, grocers and hospitals.

Mod improvement idea; Is there any way to ensure that money from trade deals is considered towards poverty reduction, maybe starting with the city having the highest poverty that supposedly supplies the luxury being traded

To know you current version of the VP mod go to:

"...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(1) Community Patch\"

and open "(1) Community Patch (v 89).modinfo" you can see in the first lines there's a tag named "<Teaser>" where is specified the current version (i.e. date of the release)

To check the newest version go to:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/community-patch-project.497/?direction=desc

There you can see all the Titles of the Threads for VP Version sorted, in the top are the newest ones
I found the folder but can't open the "MODINFO-file" because I don't have proper application to do so.

Is the +181 GPT your "empire wide GPT"?
Happiness/Needs is now local, therefore, each city must produce a certain amount of gold to meet the poverty threshold. Empire wide GPT from luxury trading won't increase you cities' gold output, so it won't help on fixing poverty. There are also buildings that reduces poverty, like aqueducts, grocers and hospitals.
Yeah, it's empire wide GPT. Okay, somehow I missed that also those buildings can lower poverty, thanks for telling me.

Mod improvement idea; Is there any way to ensure that money from trade deals is considered towards poverty reduction, maybe starting with the city having the highest poverty that supposedly supplies the luxury being traded
Or especially considered towards the city where the luxury resource is being worked by a citizen? Either way I would take either one so far.

So I've just made the surprising (to me) discovery that Byzantium's "Bonus Belief" can be an additional Founder or Enhancer belief rather than just a 3rd Follower Belief. If I pick 2 Founder Beliefs, then, and construct both National Wonders, does that mean I'll get to pick two Reformation beliefs as well, with the same "can pick stuff others might have already taken" bonus as when I originally founded the religion? If this should be obvious an obvious "yes" then I apologize, that just sounds so crazy to me.

So I've just made the surprising (to me) discovery that Byzantium's "Bonus Belief" can be an additional Founder or Enhancer belief rather than just a 3rd Follower Belief. If I pick 2 Founder Beliefs, then, and construct both National Wonders, does that mean I'll get to pick two Reformation beliefs as well, with the same "can pick stuff others might have already taken" bonus as when I originally founded the religion? If this should be obvious an obvious "yes" then I apologize, that just sounds so crazy to me.
You can build two wonders but you still only get one reformation belief. Your holy sites will get two buffs though.

Apparently, your income comes from the selling of your luxuries. You are right, AI offer deals on regard to their own wealth. If they are paying you that much, they must have quite the gold themselves. If they have some much gold, that must be the reason your citizens are complaining: they are much poorer than the AI citizens. The gold from deals is for the empire treasure, not your citizens. You may spend that gold on improving the lives of your subjects, of course, and they'll stop complaining.

Another thing about gold from deals is that it only lasts while you are friends with the other part. Fight them and you'll lose your income.

Caravans, on the other hand, increase the gold produced in the origin city, and this can be helped with trading buildings. But caravans may give better things, send them to civs with different technologies and you'll earn some science, the same with culture. Complete a land trade route in a city with the caravansary and you'll get some massive tourism, provided your culture is high.

I don't think that using the gold from trade deals as a source for happiness is a good idea. It's a very volatile resource and we don't want unhappiness swings in our cities.

Is there anyway to lengthen the turn time of eras? What I mean is- My friend and I have been playing with "Longer eras-Historic" with some changes made by me to tweak research/construction times. I like the longer research times while having unit building almost normal speed so that era actually feel like eras.(We play reeeeeeeeaaally long civ games) There is a great scientist fix for that mod that keeps great scientists from researching more than 1 tech at a time. I tried to use both the CBP and Longer Eras- Historic at the same time, but it caused terrible desync and crashing on advisor selection. If there is a file I could tweak in the CBP that would get me the results I want that would be fantastic. I know the mod changes some happiness bonuses and the amount faith to get your first great prophet.

Does researching Future Tech (more than once) increase happiness tech modifier?

I havent played this in about a year. what MAJOR changes have there been to this mod since then?

Is there anyway to lengthen the turn time of eras? What I mean is- My friend and I have been playing with "Longer eras-Historic" with some changes made by me to tweak research/construction times. I like the longer research times while having unit building almost normal speed so that era actually feel like eras.(We play reeeeeeeeaaally long civ games) There is a great scientist fix for that mod that keeps great scientists from researching more than 1 tech at a time. I tried to use both the CBP and Longer Eras- Historic at the same time, but it caused terrible desync and crashing on advisor selection. If there is a file I could tweak in the CBP that would get me the results I want that would be fantastic. I know the mod changes some happiness bonuses and the amount faith to get your first great prophet.
One option is to go to C:\Users\Name\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(2) Community Balance Overhaul\Balance Changes\Tech, open TechCostChanges.sql and just increase the values there I guess.
Does researching Future Tech (more than once) increase happiness tech modifier?
That's a good question. It increases your score from Techs, so it probably counts as a regular tech thus increasing the modifier, but not sure (it could be marked as special or something).
I havent played this in about a year. what MAJOR changes have there been to this mod since then?
A lot. Other than the AI improvements and gameplay balances (both of which alone I'd categorize as a major addition), the most hot topic currently is the reworked Happiness system (it became partially local to Cities). I'd suggest a quick run-through on the former patch notes to get some idea what's going on.

Is there a way to find out which Ideology Tenets have been picked by an AI player? I only can see how many, but not which.

Are the different difficulty settings and their effects neatly posted anywhere in this forum or do I have to open a file to see?

Top Bottom