Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Hello! Tell me please, is it possible to disable the diplomatic victory in the City-State Diplomacy mod? I could not find how to do it in the options. I'm just new in the vox populi mod, payed little attention to the CSD mod installed, played as Mongolia, conquered almost everyone and lost because Portugal made it to the diplomatic victory. I don't want to achieve diplomatic victory currently and to change anything besides it in the CSD mod. Also please tell whether it will be possible to turn off the diplomatic victory in the game options in the next updates?
You could just ignore the diplo win and proceed with your game.

I've never founded a religion, but managed to capture two Holy Cities. My state religion is from the first Holy City. How do I make my state religion the one from the second H.City?

I've never founded a religion, but managed to capture two Holy Cities. My state religion is from the first Holy City. How do I make my state religion the one from the second H.City?

If you own multiple Holy Cities but didn't found, your primary religion is the one with the greatest number of domestic followers. Use Inquisitors to reduce the heretic population.

Lumber mills and farms get an adjacency bonus if they are touching 2 others, but not mines.
Do all three mills have to be exclusively forest or jungle? Or can you mix and match them?

This is something I never quite figured out. Even with the original game so I dont know about vox populi.
Is there an optimal strategy for the number of cities you should have?
What about puppets? is there a proper timing or # of cities that should guide you to decide wether you are annexing or not?

Is it intended behavior if I ask a civ to remove their troops from my border and if they decline and decide to declare on me then the civ that they have a defensive pact with also declares war on me? Meaning, does the game treat asking the question of removing troops as a declaration of war?
That's what just happened in my game and I find it odd that the game behaves like I declared war on a civ so that his buddy decides to join in a defensive pact

Is there any way to tell how much each vassal is costing me in maintenance? Hovering over the Gold income in the top bar shows the total amount of maintenance I'm paying but I can't see to find anywhere that shows the actual numbers for each vassal.

It's also quite annoying setting taxes. The popup makes it very clear the tax rate cannot be changed for 10 turns but it's really hard to tell how much you will actually be receiving, there's no estimated income or anything. I suppose that's something I should add to the bug tracker on Github.

Is there a way to modify warmonger penalty in the config files?

EDIT: just found it. It's under balancechanges/difficulty/difficultymod.XML, at ResistanceCap for any who are curious. Under the HANDICAP_AI_DEFAULT variable apparently, but I would change the difficulty ResistanceCap variable as well to be sure.

Last edited:
Lumber mills and farms get an adjacency bonus if they are touching 2 others, but not mines.
Do all three mills have to be exclusively forest or jungle? Or can you mix and match them?

This is something I never quite figured out. Even with the original game so I dont know about vox populi.
Is there an optimal strategy for the number of cities you should have?
What about puppets? is there a proper timing or # of cities that should guide you to decide wether you are annexing or not?

Forest mills and jungle mills are two entirely seperate improvements, so no.

The optimal amount of cities is about as many as you are able to conquer, as warmongering is always the most optimal route.

Honestly puppeting is only pragmatic when your happiness is in the toilet, or will be say for example if you're about to rapidly conquer large amounts of cities, or if it's late in the game and investing into annexed cities will not pull returns of investment. The sooner you annex and start investing in cities the better because cities tend to multiply in yield output as science and culture progresses, so each extra city will end up yielding to where it justifies and exceeds the culture and science growth penalty it incurs.

Is there any way to tell how much each vassal is costing me in maintenance? Hovering over the Gold income in the top bar shows the total amount of maintenance I'm paying but I can't see to find anywhere that shows the actual numbers for each vassal.

It's also quite annoying setting taxes. The popup makes it very clear the tax rate cannot be changed for 10 turns but it's really hard to tell how much you will actually be receiving, there's no estimated income or anything. I suppose that's something I should add to the bug tracker on Github.
the tax rate is calculated by multiplying their gross gold per turn by the percentage of taxation to find out what you will earn from it.

Is it intended behavior if I ask a civ to remove their troops from my border and if they decline and decide to declare on me then the civ that they have a defensive pact with also declares war on me? Meaning, does the game treat asking the question of removing troops as a declaration of war?
That's what just happened in my game and I find it odd that the game behaves like I declared war on a civ so that his buddy decides to join in a defensive pact

They had a coop war planned against you and you triggered it early by forcing them to declare.

Is there a way to modify warmonger penalty in the config files?

EDIT: just found it. It's under balancechanges/difficulty/difficultymod.XML, at ResistanceCap for any who are curious. Under the HANDICAP_AI_DEFAULT variable apparently, but I would change the difficulty ResistanceCap variable as well to be sure.

That value is the maximum anti-warmonger fervor. The defines for the actual penalty are in CoreDefines.sql in (1) Community Patch.

while playing Maya, I managed to research Mathematics by 1 b'ak'tun 18 k'atun, but next turn when 2 b'ak'tun rolled around... nothing happened. No great person. Is this a bug or is it an intentional undocumented limitation?
Either 1->2 doesn't work, or Mathematics needs to have been researched for multiple turns before the end of the long count cycle. I don't know which it is (or something else??)

I had overwhelming victory on the difficulty of 4. In the end, I had like over 4k score while 2nd best had almost 2k score. My question is: Should I play next round on the difficulty 5 or jump to 6? :)

I had overwhelming victory on the difficulty of 4. In the end, I had like over 4k score while 2nd best had almost 2k score. My question is: Should I play next round on the difficulty 5 or jump to 6? :)
If you have a really good start: 6, but 5 should be safer !

6 is a good bit harder than 5 in terms of the earlygame AI bonuses but it really depends on your playstyle. If you're good at warmongering than I would recommend 6 because warmongering will make it much easier. 5 is better for tall play which is generally more difficult

It's personal taste of course.

It's actually hard to find the "sweet spot" for difficulty. The jump in the last three levels is insane.

My issue is if you go too high, you REALLY can tell the AI is playing a different game than you. You see it in wars when the AI can just build units as fast as you can kill them. It's my main reason for never going too high, it just kills any sense of immersion for me.

Last edited:
How do I change the max number of active religions? I used to be able to change it before in CBP\Balance Changes\Worlds\WorldSizes.sql but the code no longer seems to be there after the 2.0 update.

How can I change the GPP points needed to generate GPP for marathon and epic speeds. Want to do the same for border growth as well. I feel that the scaling is off as too few gpp are generated compared to standard speed for the entire game after playing 1000+ hours on all 3 speeds.

How do I change the max number of active religions? I used to be able to change it before in CBP\Balance Changes\Worlds\WorldSizes.sql but the code no longer seems to be there after the 2.0 update.
It's still there: MaxActiveReligions.

How can I change the GPP points needed to generate GPP for marathon and epic speeds. Want to do the same for border growth as well. I feel that the scaling is off as too few gpp are generated compared to standard speed for the entire game after playing 1000+ hours on all 3 speeds.
For GPP, GreatPeoplePercent in the GameSpeeds table. Refer to CIV5GameSpeeds.xml. For border growth, CulturePercent in the same table, but it will affect more than just that if you change it.

How do I use autobuild function, I read about it in some patch notes but didn't manage to find it in game.
Edit: Nevermind, found it :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom