Quick Questions , Quick Answers

That's exactly why they have higher quality. They are more savage, closer to nature and its regular fight or flight experience, not soothed by the niceties of modern society. They are stronger fighters, naturally. Training is NOT quality but experience with battle can lead to quality-ups, and enough training can feel close enough to experience in actual combat to achieve it if there's a LOT of it. Generally Prehistoric military forces are naturally more savage and ready for a fight, but they aren't usually found in the kind of numbers humans arrange into armies later as populations expand.

There are actually approaching applications of long planned additional modifications like expanded armor and puncture, accuracy and dodge, morale rules and more. The unit planning is taking all of that into consideration for the new combat mods that have been in the works for years.

Ammo will be a matter of later equipment stuff perhaps but you can think of it now as the trigger for why throwing units try to flee battle so early - they prefer to hit and run and only want to hit as long as they can manage and still get out of there cleanly. There have been longstanding plans for ammo but it will require ... more than just this planning round will cover.
Can't wait!!!

You're talking the difference between quality and base strength. I wouldn't call quality efficiency either... just that natural speed of thought in battle, readiness to fight, ability to push past the fear and focus on making the kill. Quality is largely the psychological readiness for battle.
Say Hi to [Initiative], especially since I definitely have seen it in some games (sometimes stupidly called [Speed], though).
While you'd think it's just [First Strike] again, it's not, since it shouldn't be limited to just that alone.

Also, you can call me too lazy to check, but is there anything about [Missing / Accuracy]?
Not just who hits first, but the ability to hit and dodge at every "round".
Or maybe I'm just forgetful, lol.

Last edited:
Say Hi to [Initiative], especially since I definitely have seen it in some games (sometimes stupidly called [Speed], though).
While you'd think it's just [First Strike] again, it's not, since it shouldn't be limited to just that alone.
More than that but a part of it sure. First strike is more ranged fighting - hitting them while they can't yet hit you - and stealth strikes would be setting up and taking full advantage of surprise.

Four quick question, not important, I just wonder...

1. Why are hunters (and probably other units) killing dogs first when attacking a stack (or a stack in an enemy city) ? I mean, this is useful when attacking (easy XP), but I hate it that I can't protect my dogs when roaming enemy lands.

2. The message "the enemy has been spotted near $city" is not very useful when there is a (as good as permanent) locust swarm in another players (inaccessible) territory. Can "animal" be used instead of "enemy" when it is only an animal ? (and "barbarian" or just NPC...)

3. I don't seem to get the alert when an AI wants peace (not at the top, and not in event log). This is enabled in the BUG options, but never shows. (So I have to check every turn whether Mongolia wants peace.) Or does it take two turns for this message to show ?

4. Some buildings give "-25% war weariness". Can I see the total war weariness (and modifiers) for a city somewhere ?

A bit surprised to find Leonardo's Workshop (Great Wonder) via Invention Tech in the Middle Ages, that should be Renaissance surely?!

Four quick question, not important, I just wonder...

1. Why are hunters (and probably other units) killing dogs first when attacking a stack (or a stack in an enemy city) ? I mean, this is useful when attacking (easy XP), but I hate it that I can't protect my dogs when roaming enemy lands.

2. The message "the enemy has been spotted near $city" is not very useful when there is a (as good as permanent) locust swarm in another players (inaccessible) territory. Can "animal" be used instead of "enemy" when it is only an animal ? (and "barbarian" or just NPC...)

3. I don't seem to get the alert when an AI wants peace (not at the top, and not in event log). This is enabled in the BUG options, but never shows. (So I have to check every turn whether Mongolia wants peace.) Or does it take two turns for this message to show ?

4. Some buildings give "-25% war weariness". Can I see the total war weariness (and modifiers) for a city somewhere ?
1) Dogs are animals. (to answer why) I'm pretty sure at some point we made Armed Guard promoted units capable of getting in the way of those attacks but there were some other little buggy things going on iirc and at some point some stuff in that whole mechanism needs to be reevaluated. RL - Dogs ARE kinda hard to protect when off their leash because they are a bit too eager.
2) That message has been needing some work to play nice with animals for a while now.
3) ?
4) You can see total war weariness on a nation hovering over their leaders in the diplo screen - I don't THINK it's calculated as a local only variable in cities.

IMPORTANT QUESTION.

Is there any way to boost the AI civs progress?
I'm playing on Eternity with a full Pit's map of 40 civs (edited for Israel instead of Egypt, which is my personal modmod), and that means that I have only two options:
1. Destroy everyone else, since their cities will automatically explode on conquest.
2. Leave them alone for so long that I'll be literally building gunpowder units by the time option (1) stops being applicable.
So can I hasten THEIR development somehow (no, not with WB, I mean in-game)?
It's annoying to lose the ability to conquer them for essentially forever (especially since I doubt I'll be able to not get BORED so much that I'll quit before Classical).
Thus, aside from WB cheating, is there any way to boost them closer to my level of tech progress?
I'm currently playing with Tech Diffusion, but after more than 300 turns (and having my score being 3 or 4 times of theirs) I still can't see ANY effect of it.
Mainly since their culture is clearly coming only randomly from animals (I can see that from it changing in steps of 3).
Either they can't yet build any culture buildings, or they have it at a very low priority, or they are literally beyond stupid, lol.
But I seriously don't plan on waiting for 5000 turns to start my world conquest (NOT elimination) spree, dammit.
Any ideas?

IMPORTANT QUESTION.

Is there any way to boost the AI civs progress?
I'm playing on Eternity with a full Pit's map of 40 civs (edited for Israel instead of Egypt, which is my personal modmod), and that means that I have only two options:
1. Destroy everyone else, since their cities will automatically explode on conquest.
2. Leave them alone for so long that I'll be literally building gunpowder units by the time option (1) stops being applicable.
So can I hasten THEIR development somehow (no, not with WB, I mean in-game)?
It's annoying to lose the ability to conquer them for essentially forever (especially since I doubt I'll be able to not get BORED so much that I'll quit before Classical).
Thus, aside from WB cheating, is there any way to boost them closer to my level of tech progress?
I'm currently playing with Tech Diffusion, but after more than 300 turns (and having my score being 3 or 4 times of theirs) I still can't see ANY effect of it.
Mainly since their culture is clearly coming only randomly from animals (I can see that from it changing in steps of 3).
Either they can't yet build any culture buildings, or they have it at a very low priority, or they are literally beyond stupid, lol.
But I seriously don't plan on waiting for 5000 turns to start my world conquest (NOT elimination) spree, dammit.
Any ideas?
Win For Losing could help.

Win For Losing could help.
Yeah, I'll start yet another game anew.
Now with [No City Razing], [Tech Diffusion], [Win For Losing], everything [Barbarian] - and myself set on a direct track towards [Barter], lol.
I still keep forgetting how useful that one is on low difficulty, lol.
We'll see how this works out, but that won't be very soon, since I only play in small sessions (gets super BORING very fast).

EDIT.
OK, I won't be rude and say that I'm not the only idiot who didn't realize that [No City Razing] instantly solved my "problem" of being unable to capture Prehistoric cities, lol.
I never said THAT, mind you.
As of the general tech development, well, we'll see when I reach Ancient Era, lol.

EDIT.
Loool!
I captured 3 more cities, and then - KABOOM!!!
My money went down the drain and so did all of my units, INCLUDING the one I pre-made for the scenario, lol.
But I have FOUR cities now instead of just one, so let's see where it gets me.
Not to mention how I will soon be able to anyways overpower anyone still "in caves", loool.
The sad fact about it is, though, that my Space Expansion goal is really unrealistic even on the fastest speed, let alone on Eternity.
But it might be somewhat FUN to see what having 40 cities (if not more) will get me on Eternity.
Now I only need to force myself to NOT spam endless Traders for free Food/Production, lol.
Let's see, let's see.
:king::king::king:

Last edited:
Clockpunk question.

I researched this (the first one in my game to do so) and built a number of Da vinci tanks. I then ran for many turns without building any Clockpunk machines but when I then wanted to build more tanks, they and all the other Clockpunk machines were no longer available to me. I confirmed that I have the resource requirements for Da vinci tanks.

Is there something that would cause the Clockpunk item to stop functioning?

I'm using the latest SVN build in single player mode using one of Snofru's space maps. Thanks.

Clockpunk question.

I researched this (the first one in my game to do so) and built a number of Da vinci tanks. I then ran for many turns without building any Clockpunk machines but when I then wanted to build more tanks, they and all the other Clockpunk machines were no longer available to me. I confirmed that I have the resource requirements for Da vinci tanks.

Is there something that would cause the Clockpunk item to stop functioning?

I'm using the latest SVN build in single player mode using one of Snofru's space maps. Thanks.
Those are limited units right? Are you at your limit perhaps?

Those are limited units right? Are you at your limit perhaps?
In the past I have been able to build larger armies of Da vinci tanks but in my current game I only have 40 tanks.
I also check the Pedia entry and do not see anything about unit limits. Interestingly, when I run my cursor over the "Requires" section at the bottom of the Pedia page, I am told I have zero Clockpunk. I obviously had this resource previously since I have existing tanks and ornothopters. And if I now look at a city and display "untrainable" units, the Da vinci tank is displayed but the word "Clockpunk" is in red indicating I do not have this resource.
As an experiment, I deleted 30 tanks, completed a turn and then looked to see if I could build tanks again - I still could not build ANY Clockpunk units including the buildings associated with this resource.
I checked the main player info screen as well as the info screens for all my cities but none displayed "Clockpunk". It appears that I have completely lost the Clockpunk resource once I moved into the Renaissance era.

In the past I have been able to build larger armies of Da vinci tanks but in my current game I only have 40 tanks.
I also check the Pedia entry and do not see anything about unit limits. Interestingly, when I run my cursor over the "Requires" section at the bottom of the Pedia page, I am told I have zero Clockpunk. I obviously had this resource previously since I have existing tanks and ornothopters. And if I now look at a city and display "untrainable" units, the Da vinci tank is displayed but the word "Clockpunk" is in red indicating I do not have this resource.
As an experiment, I deleted 30 tanks, completed a turn and then looked to see if I could build tanks again - I still could not build ANY Clockpunk units including the buildings associated with this resource.
I checked the main player info screen as well as the info screens for all my cities but none displayed "Clockpunk". It appears that I have completely lost the Clockpunk resource once I moved into the Renaissance era.
Maybe you traded it accidentally?

Clockpunk wonder requires Sulphur in city vicinity, maybe you lost improvement or route on tile with Sulphur?

Maybe you traded it accidentally?

Clockpunk wonder requires Sulphur in city vicinity, maybe you lost improvement or route on tile with Sulphur?

Nope, I did not trade it to anyone. I also checked and have 8 sulphurs, most of which are quite close to my cities. I am also able to build "normal" gunpowder units such as musketmen and cannons but no Clockpunk units or buildings.

It just seems I have 'lost' Clockpunk...

Nope, I did not trade it to anyone. I also checked and have 8 sulphurs, most of which are quite close to my cities. I am also able to build "normal" gunpowder units such as musketmen and cannons but no Clockpunk units or buildings.

It just seems I have 'lost' Clockpunk...
In city vicinity is concrete definition - within radius of 2 tiles - fat cross (or 3 if city has certain culture level or metropolitan administration).
Upload save then.

Clockpunk wonder can be destroyed by events.

In city vicinity is concrete definition - within radius of 2 tiles - fat cross (or 3 if city has certain culture level or metropolitan administration).
Upload save then.

Clockpunk wonder can be destroyed by events.

My city of Vancouver has the closest sulphur deposits that are 2 tiles away.

I never noticed any events occurring which destroyed my Clockpunk but I might have missed it.

Attached is my saved game. Note that I am using Civ Megapack's Canadian custom civ which has not exhibited these problem in the past.

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Attachments

• Snofru-standard5.CivBeyondSwordSave
    3.3 MB · Views: 20
My city of Vancouver has the closest sulphur deposits that are 2 tiles away.

I never noticed any events occurring which destroyed my Clockpunk but I might have missed it.

Attached is my saved game. Note that I am using Civ Megapack's Canadian custom civ which has not exhibited these problem in the past.

Thanks for taking a look at this.
Resource is 3 tiles away, seems like you lost Metropolitan Administration losing access to sulphur (no longer considered in vicinity)

It requires City Size of 25
City shrunk to size of 19 disabling Metropolitan Administration, which made Sulphur out of reach, which disabled Clockpunk wonder, which means you don't have clockpunk resource.

By the way Warlord handicap is extremely easy, try Emperor or something like that.
Also play with "Larger Cities without Metropolitan Administration", since shrinking cities may suddenly disable vicinity requiring buildings.

Last edited:
Resource is 3 tiles away, seems like you lost Metropolitan Administration losing access to sulphur (no longer considered in vicinity)

It requires City Size of 25
City shrunk to size of 19 disabling Metropolitan Administration, which made Sulphur out of reach, which disabled Clockpunk wonder, which means you don't have clockpunk resource.

By the way Warlord handicap is extremely easy, try Emperor or something like that.
Also play with "Larger Cities without Metropolitan Administration", since shrinking cities may suddenly disable vicinity requiring buildings.

Man, even after playing Civ for so long, there is still a lot to learn! Thanks for the explanation and suggestions Raxo2222. :goodjob::)

Man, even after playing Civ for so long, there is still a lot to learn! Thanks for the explanation and suggestions Raxo2222. :goodjob::)
Now I wonder if disabling Metropolitian Administration (or equivalent of other radius extenders) is option, that you need to pick to make AI more competitive in later game.

AI likely is too dumb to know, that shrinking below requirement of this building means losing resource in vicinity requiring buildings.
That is city shrinks too much - now resources on third ring are too far away to count as in vicinity.

Quick question: Why does the "total food to grow" all of a sudden go from 3912 to 4303 ?

In this turn it takes 5 turns to grow my capital:

3912.png

In the next turn it takes 14 turns to grow my capital ??

4303.png

I did not change any civic, nor was there a message in the event log. Restarting the turn yields the same result. Food and Food wasted are identical in both turns. SVN from today (for 100 turns already).

Top Bottom