1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions , Quick Answers

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by TaylorItaly, Jul 18, 2019.

1. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

I was mainly mentioning it because in that game you also have to split and merge armies pretty often and while you can manually do it, most of the time you press the split in half button once or several times to the sizes you need. Large stacks in Civ are actually somewhat similar so I think a similar feature would help. EU4 is a good game btw. I can recommend it to someone who likes C2C.

The request for the feature was formulated somewhat rude (or rather it had a passive agressive tone). I don't care as I don't play C2C at the moment but it does sound useful for large army handling and I really would not like to manually split a stack of a hundred units. And when you said you would like the feature as well but do not know how to, I just wrote some pointers on how to.

One thing: You should not feel pushed into doing requests or explaining yourself. That is not healthy modding and leads to burnout.

Blazenclaw and cobbaut like this.
  2. Somebody613

Somebody613 King

The thing is this isn't the first time I raised this topic (definitely for buildings, not entirely sure about units).
    So I was "passive aggressive" in the sense of "I know you already rejected it in the past, but dammit it's NEEDED".
    And the request about units seems EASIER simply because "grouping of units" is ALREADY implemented in more than one way, so it's NOT "inventing a wheel", really.
    And after you summed it up, it seems even EASIER to do.
    In fact, it's like the only thing it really requires - is for the modders to WANT to do it, lol.
    So I still hope it WILL happen in the foreseeable future, pretty please with a tie on top. ;)

3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I know you were being helpful thanks! And yes, I'm not AS active at the moment in part to diminish some burnout.

I'm definitely not at the same skill level of AIAndy here. If I wanted to figure it out he's given me the tools, yes, but the last time I did a button widget it took me weeks to figure it out and that was some years ago when I was working half-time at my job so... yeah it CAN be done but not as easy as it may sound and certainly not as easily as it would be for someone more knowledgeable. The unit request was the first time and I'm still a bit unsure as to what the end result of that would look like exactly. Working with missions I can do but I will probably feel more comfortable with it once I've done more of those which I plan for multimap implementation.

Note that frustration with the inability of the team to answer to requests was what got me modding myself to begin with. I get it. At some point I took the matters critical to me onto my own shoulders and thus began to learn how to do the things I wanted done.

4. Somebody613

Somebody613 King

And I might do the same, if it was as simple as tag-modding is.
    But it has TWO steps in it, the second one being related to compiling that I failed to correctly do even with the existing files from Git.
    So it's less about modding the button, and more about making it to compile in a working manner to begin with.
    To say it bluntly, the latter prevents me from even approaching the former, duh.
    On the OTHER hand, if someone showed me the "button code" for "group ALL same-type units on the tile", I might attempt to at least suggest a way to adapt it for "select HALF of everything".
    The major reason I'm so put off away from in-depth modding, is that I see a ton of files that tell me exactly zero info on what each of them does.
    As opposed to files like "unit info", which I can open and compare to the in-game units (not to mention outright GUESS most of the functions myself).
    So I would appreciate being told which FILE(S) to look into about the "selection button" data, for starters.
    Even if it leads nowhere, at least I'll feel that I TRIED, lol.

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Yeah that is indeed a good portion of the battle... I'm not sure offhand but I do know that I do a lot of searching through all the files in VS to find where certain things are referred to.

6. Santa Klaus

Santa Klaus Chieftain

It seems that having the Great Zimbabwe Wonder in your city prevents the "Avoid Growth" button from working. Am I correct and is this intended?

7. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

AIAndy said the two steps could both be done in Python, which doesn't require compiling.

Do you have grepWin? If not, get it. Then search the assets for a string from the mouseover of the [group ALL same-type units on the tile] button

8. Somebody613

Somebody613 King

Thanks for the program, but it DOESN'T find any multi-word strings for some reason.
    OR it's just me being too stupid to use it properly, lol.
    Can you show me how to properly search for Order all as a string?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  9. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

That phrase is not in the mod (at least not at SVN level). Try looking for it in the assets of vanilla and BtS. Hopefully it's in either a Python or an xml.
    You might have more luck with the "go to and stop if you meet anyone" button, because I'm pretty sure that's in the mod not in vanilla.

This could be a dead end. It's my tentative best guess as to what you can do to answer your question.

Somebody613 likes this.
  10. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

First you search for text itself in text files, and then you search for TXT_KEY in those files.

Example: "Some text" is in one of game text files.
    Its TXT KEY is "TXT_KEY_SOME_TEXT"
    Then you search TXT_KEY_SOME_TEXT in all xml/python/cpp files.

Not all stuff is named like itself.
    Techs, civics, terrains, features and some more XML stuff is named like itself (something being TXT_KEY_INFOTYPE_SOMETHING).
    Other stuff may have way different displayed and internal names.

11. Somebody613

Somebody613 King

I'm DUMB.
    It's in the freaking Vanilla files, lol.
    Not that it helped me in any other way so far, but at least it isn't a SEARCH issue, loool.

Found the BUTTON info.
    It refers to <bSelectAll> and <bSelectType> (whichever the actual button is using).
    So I'll now run a search for THOSE, but not sure what to expect.

NOPE.
    No more files that use that reference (without <> there's Schema, but it's still nothing useful).
    Well, NOW WHAT?
    I don't see any mechanism BEHIND SelectAll, it's clearly hidden by compilation or whatnot.

Well, at least it got me a funky Search Engine, lol.
    Thanks for THAT, what else can I say.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  12. Somebody613

Somebody613 King

Request:
    I awfully really want to disable the damn "Barb Wanderer drinking booze near your Wonder-building city" ALERT!
    It really pisses me off when I can't Auto-turn due to something that causes me NOTHING ELSE besides this annoyance of just SEEING it sit there forever.
    It's harmless and useless, but it's causing me to REACT to its existence.
    And causing me to CLICK 1000 times for NO. GOOD. REASON.
    No BUGs help to get rid of it, so PLEASE tell me (or MOD it) so I can ignore that PEST.
    PLEASE!

13. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Are you talking about the alert that comes up a lot once you build the medieval dungeon building?

14. Somebody613

Somebody613 King

No.
    I was just making fun of the "enemy appeared near your city" ANNOYANCE that gets triggered by such "dangerous" units like, le gasp, Wanderers.
    I must get SO scared of them, apparently.
    And the "booze" JOKE was about them literally sitting in one place near my border - doing nothing for endless turns, UNLESS you flush them away with ANY combatant.
    And all the while, that cursed WARNING prevents me from Auto-turning.
    In fact, even without that, I'd want to turn ALL these "enemy" warnings off ALTOGETHER.
    I have literally ZERO gain from them, ever, no matter the game settings.
    DAMN.
    Can you PLEASE tell me HOW to get rid of them entirely?

15. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

There might be an option, likely in BUG options, for that. I'm not sure. Otherwise you could find the points in the code that call out to send those messages and comment them out or create an option to turn them off. There may even be something about enemy warnings in the game options menu since I sorta remember something about that from vanilla.

16. Somebody613

Somebody613 King

No, or not working correctly.
    This isn't the first time I raise this issue (at least for myself), and I've never found any in-game options to deal with it.

17. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

If it is not in BUG then it might be in the main BtS Options. I have those warnings turned Off. I'll check both places to see if I can find the option that turns "Harmless barb warnings" Off.

EDIT: It is in BUG under MAP tab. Ignore Harmless Barbarians. Hold Mouse cursor over it to see what it actually does. It has conditions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  18. Somebody613

Somebody613 King

Like I said, it DOESN'T.
    It's in BUG's Alerts tab.
    Except it DOESN'T WORK for me.
    Also, it says "barbs that can't ENTER borders", and Wanderers CAN enter borders (but ANIMALS can't, so at least THOSE stopped pestering me).
    My point is that I want to disable the ENTIRE "enemy" alert altogether - I don't NEED it in the first place, it's nothing but ANNOYANCE.
    ALL of it.

19. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

See my edit in above post.

Wanderers should Not be able to enter borders of another Empire. If they can then Yes that is a Bug.

@raxo2222, Can you fix this IF it's broken and not a WAD feature.

EDIT: I have to ask you this somebody613, don't take offense but, do you have stress in your life alot??? Do you drink a lot of soft drinks like Coca Cola? I had a similar problem over a year ago and had to quit all soda pop and sugared drinks. Cut down on carbs too. It was a by product/symptom of insulin resistance. Many Americans have this problem and don't realize it. Just askin' as a forum friend. Be Blessed.

Blazenclaw and cobbaut like this.
  20. Somebody613

Somebody613 King

Lol, nope.
    I'm just an "old" guy who still can't bother to use BOLD to STRESS words, because back in "my times" I'd got overly addicted to CAPS instead.
    Sorry, and that ISN'T me SHOUTING (lol).

Back on topic - you do realize those are BARB Wanderers?
    Why should BARBS care for my borders?
    OR maybe it is a bug, but a veeery old one, since I can't even recall when was the FIRST time I started getting annoyed by this issue.
    And anyways, IS or ISN'T there a way to simply kill ALL "enemy" alerts altogether?
    And if NOT - would it be "too hard" to ask for it to be modded as an option, because, really, it's nothing but a waste of screen space, EVER.
    And that's the LESSER problem it causes, a BIGGER one is interrupting Auto-Endturn, which quite seriously is pissing me off.
    PLEASE, someone deal with it, okay?