Votes: 23 20.4%
  • Russia

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Spain

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Zulu

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters
Japan is great. The +1 food from sea tiles bonus makes a science city grow like crazy!

I like Romans because they are so cheap and the Aztec for some fun rushing and war mongering.

I''ve had a few games as Romans now - they're amazing - settler pumps and roads all the way, then wonders for half price, I don't see how you can beat them. I had my mega city damn quick and was generating 780 science per turn from it.

I voted Zulu before playing, and they still are one of my favorites, but now I have to say Japan and the Arabs are contenders for my favorite. Arabs are ridiculously powerful.

Seriously, that instant heal after combat victory is the best single perk in the game. Then you get science +3 with temples, so you get techs and culture at the same time, then you finish with a bonus to 50% gold production, so you can rush anything you still need. I keep wanting to try more factions, but none seem to come close.

I'm really curious about the Indians. Every era perk the get is crap or shows up about a thousand years too late, but having access to every resource right from the start seems like a HUGE advantage.

Germany fans: does the instant veteran status of all warrior units that they get count for all warrior-type units? Like, is it just for warriors, or are new Legions and Knights created with vet status too?

I voted for America, and this is why. Communism.

Now I know this sounds weird, but stay with me. In the modern era Amercia gets triple production from factories. If you are the first to tech to Communism you can build factories at 33% of production cost. Then if you change your Govt to Communism you get plus 50% to production.

For those of you who like mega cities, just imagine a modern America mega city with a third-cost factory and communism government!

Still not officially voting. :) I haven't played all the civs yet!

I have won two games on Warlord using Germany (Barbarian scenario was fun), was impressed by the Aztecs on King, and won my first game on Emperor using Arabs after several failed attempts with various civs. Now playing China on Emperor and holding my own, although Spain is beating me culturally.

Aztecs might be one of the better all-around civs. Healing units is clearly a great benefit. Temples producing science helps both cultural and science strategies. 1/2 price roads makes mega-city-creation easier. Gold production is quite helpful for economic victory.

I won my first game by dominion victory with the Mongols. Basically, their increased movement allowed troops to cover more land. After beating up some barbarians, they increased their attack and speed until my knights seemed like they were launching across the map and annihilating an opponent in a single turn! (well, not really, but they seemed like it.)

I then played as the Aztecs. Basically, I got Masonry and built the great wall. Then, I built up my cities with strong defensive armies (with each coastal city getting sea support. Then I got Democracy, and along with the temples, built up my culture and gold at the same time. By the time someone got gunpowder, they could threaten me all they wanted because none of their units could get into my cities. Even surrounding my cities failed with my units automatically healing. I flipped a bunch of nearby cities while gaining techs every 3-4 turns and ended up building the UN and winning without losing a single unit.

Take care,

Jay

so far ive liked all the civs ive played with, the americans and aztecs for the reasons stated above, but i didnt notice anyone mentioning spain, by being able to build a galleon from the start you get a heads up on getting to atlantis and for me this is usually a game changing event

...and as soon as i post i notice that this was mentioned on the first page

Rome's massive strength has been significantly reduced by the recent update 1.10. Now settlers don't automatically add +1 pop to a city. This will seriously change the way a lot of people think about and play this game.

I voted prematurely I think. Initially I used the Germans and came a away with a late game Domination win. Since then I have played with America (partial), Japan (partial), French, Russian, India, Mongol (partial), Aztecs, Romans, and England (partial). By far the easiest game I had was with India. I managed to settle my second and third cities on 2 or 3 mid to late game resources. I won with a Culture victory, a pretty easy one at that.

All that being said, I tried the game of the week last night with Russia and I had alot of fun with it. Their bonuses aren't all that bad really. The local map let me reposition my capital to take advantage of a fish resource and grab an extra forest tile for production. This was the only time that I dared move my starting settler so far and I feel like the benefits were great through out the game. Another bonus I liked alot was the 1/2 price spies. Toward the end of the game I would pump out spies three or four at a time out of my producion cities every few turns and send them around to steal GP, gold, or to weaken defenders. Plus I had spy rings in all of my cities so the A.I.'s attempts an subterfuge were futile.

Top Bottom