Quo's Combined Tweaks

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.19 BETA

isau updated Quo's Combined Tweaks with a new update entry:

Quo Combined Tweaks v3.11.5 BETA

This patch features some balance tweaks to recently released code.
  • The Oligarchy extra government bonus is now "Melee units have +1 moves in unclaimed territory." (Changed from providing a free Battering Ram, which simply made players delay building their encampments.)
  • Egypt now unlocks free relic slots at Medieval Faires instead of on turn 1. Increased from 2 bonus slots to 4.
  • Egypt now receives its free relics per city with an ancient or classical wonder upon researching...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hello. Your mod is a very solid work. I'll found myself very satisfied. I've agreed with 90% changes that you've made. The rest 10% it's just a deal of personal taste of every civilizator here...
But what's really important is that I've made a full Russian text localisation for your precious work of code :) Now it's time to spread your mod to more wide auditory.
If you'll integrate my texts as a additional language - many Russian civilizators would be grateful. And a matter of fact - there are many russian players here on Civfanatics. They're just don't really reveal themselves.

Attachments

• Quo's Russian text (from Tolerant).rar
    15.4 KB · Views: 120

Good afternoon. I think you can embed the Russification of the mod so that you can use the English and Russian versions together. If it does not work out at the moment, then just publish a link to the translation on the main page of the modification, including in Steam.
In addition, I attach lines with the cost of great people that need to be included in the SlowerTech file. Otherwise, at slow speeds, spamming people will go in droves.

Spoiler GreatPerson :
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_ANCIENT';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.2 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_CLASSICAL';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.3 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_MEDIEVAL';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.4 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_RENAISSANCE';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.5 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.6 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_MODERN';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.7 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_ATOMIC';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.8 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_INFORMATION';

Hello. Your mod is a very solid work. I'll found myself very satisfied. I've agreed with 90% changes that you've made. The rest 10% it's just a deal of personal taste of every civilizator here...
But what's really important is that I've made a full Russian text localisation for your precious work of code :) Now it's time to spread your mod to more wide auditory.
If you'll integrate my texts as a additional language - many Russian civilizators would be grateful. And a matter of fact - there are many russian players here on Civfanatics. They're just don't really reveal themselves.

Thanks! That's exciting. I haven't looked too much at the localization files, so I'll need to stumble through this a little. As things get updated, I'll also need to figure out what to do with updating the text. Right now we're in a "Beta test" period while I roll out some fairly extensive, but soon I will be publishing a "real" version soon.

Good afternoon. I think you can embed the Russification of the mod so that you can use the English and Russian versions together. If it does not work out at the moment, then just publish a link to the translation on the main page of the modification, including in Steam.
In addition, I attach lines with the cost of great people that need to be included in the SlowerTech file. Otherwise, at slow speeds, spamming people will go in droves.

Spoiler GreatPerson :
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_ANCIENT';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.2 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_CLASSICAL';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.3 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_MEDIEVAL';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.4 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_RENAISSANCE';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.5 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.6 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_MODERN';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.7 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_ATOMIC';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.8 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_INFORMATION';

Thanks clack. I'll consider adding this. This to me seems like something that needs a MyOptions setting just like the longer tech speeds do.

Also, FYI I am currently playtesting a bump to the AIs ability to research in the later parts of the game. I think right now it's very competitive in the early stages of the game, up to around the Renaissance. After that, it doesn't build enough Universities to keep up with the human player. To fix this, the AI will be getting a rising tech and culture bonus once it enters later eras of the game. I'm troubleshooting right now to see how much is needed.

I did play a very successful game as Egypt yesterday, starting early in the morning and going til late at night, because I was hooked. I really like the "new" Egypt. Altho I did also notice a bug with her text description not showing correctly (it still lists river discounts, which were removed). The enemy AIs had Catapults and with the extra range and ability to move and shoot on the same turn gave me some serious scares. The only issue was as mentioned above- -AI falling off in tech in the later eras. I am hopeful I can keep the pressure up while still making the game fun and (basically) fair. The intensity I've always sought is how things were in Civ 4, where when a war declaration arrived you worried. I think I'm getting close.

Ok folks, I have a flavor vs game balance question as I begin to look at the Great People problem. IMO there just aren't enough of them per era. I have not yet experimented with adding new ones, and really don't want to get into the business of designing and testing 100s of them.

What would be easy enough to do, however, is to write code that simply makes each of them appear twice in the game. It would mean two Mark Twains or Isaac Newtons running around in game, and the same relic/great work/etc existing two time per game.On the plus side, it would mean an increase from 177 Great People and 184 great works to 344 Great People and 368 Great Works. I also assume someone eventually will write a really good Great People mod, at which time I can remove or disable the doubling code and just plug that in.

I suppose I could also make a MyOption to turn it off. It does involve some finessing, because of the ability to "pass" on a great person, meaning that same person could show up twice. However I still figure its better than the current situation.

I can't guarantee I can make it work. But if there are objections you'd like to raise please feel free.

Ok folks, I have a flavor vs game balance question as I begin to look at the Great People problem. IMO there just aren't enough of them per era. I have not yet experimented with adding new ones, and really don't want to get into the business of designing and testing 100s of them.

What would be easy enough to do, however, is to write code that simply makes each of them appear twice in the game. It would mean two Mark Twains or Isaac Newtons running around in game, and the same relic/great work/etc existing two time per game.On the plus side, it would mean an increase from 177 Great People and 184 great works to 344 Great People and 368 Great Works. I also assume someone eventually will write a really good Great People mod, at which time I can remove or disable the doubling code and just plug that in.

I suppose I could also make a MyOption to turn it off. It does involve some finessing, because of the ability to "pass" on a great person, meaning that same person could show up twice. However I still figure its better than the current situation.

I can't guarantee I can make it work. But if there are objections you'd like to raise please feel free.
I'm not such a big fan of duplicated things. I think you just need to slow them to achieve in each era differently. As I said before most changes that you've made are very logical. But some things are disputive. For example Harald's stavkirka in the middle of the town. Actually a good idea. but I don't know does it visually appeared there or not? For me that's very critical. But for the most modders are difficult to create fully visible objects, at least at current state of civ VI modding. The second thing is the unlimited conditions for some World wonders to build. In the base game the developers wisely created special terms for Big Ben, Colosseum, colossus and etc. I understand that sometimes its not so easy to built them but that was a solid idea from developers. You should make good preparations, before built a Wonder. But you just make the game a little easyer in some spot. But it's just my opinion and it's not critical accusation. I can play good with this terms. But returning to question about great people - you should think good about this. I don't like the duplicates.

I'd agree with Tolerant. If you feel there are too few Great People (and I'm not sure I'd agree, I've yet to play a game where I run out of any other than Prophets), then the less disruptive thing to do would be to increase Great People cost.

I'd also agree with Tolerant regarding the loosening of wonder placement--I really like the restrictions of having to place them next to certain districts--but I've mentioned that here already. In literally every single other respect, I love this mod.

Given the messages, the questions can be resolved as follows.
In the file MyOptions add the inclusion and deactivation of the requirements for placing Wonders of the World.
Well, a duplicate of people is also a controversial issue, just not enough space to place the work. Therefore - just slow down the speed of getting people.

UPD. And more on the Scythia. How about this idea - to leave a bonus to healing units in 50 points, but to remove the creation of a copy of the riders? However, all created cavalry begins with a double or triple increase. Scythia always spammers the cavalry, it's very annoying.

Last edited:

Quo Combined Tweaks v3.11.6 BETA The Government Edition

This patch features numerous tweaks to balance and some features that message board players have requested, including some expansions of the MyOptions system. Many thanks to the players who have offered feedback.

Mod Structure Changes
  • Changed how Setup code operates so that MyOptions are now written to the Text and Config databases in addition to the Gameplay database. In practical terms, this means it is now possible for changes made in MyOptions to be reflected in text...

It's not in the patch I pushed out tonight but I thought I'd give you guys a preview of a feature I'm rolling for Spain. I never wanted their special ability with Natural Wonders to just be an adjacency bonus. I wanted it to feel more like a "burst" effect. I finally figured out how to do it in the database by the long, painful learning process I went through revamping Egypt recently.

I'm still playing with the exact numbers, but here is the essence of it. Basically instead of just the +5 adjacency bonus, you will get a pile of Gold in a lump sum. 200 in the Classical era, 400 in the Medieval, etc. Idea being that Spain should exploit the heck of Natural Wonders and try to fit as many Comm Zones as they can. The way it's designed right now you do get the money retroactively (i.e. if you build in the Information era you get 200 + 400 + 600 + 800). Like I said, numbers are still under review. And I may decide to disable the retroactive portion if it proves to be too extreme.

I may also have a surprise for Gorgo, but no promises yet.

upload_2017-6-6_2-34-17.png

Would it be possible for it to activate every time Spain enters an era? So you get 200 when first built before the medieval era, then another 400 for the same hub in medieval, etc. I think that makes more sense than getting retroactive payments for building a hub in later eras.

Would it be possible for it to activate every time Spain enters an era? So you get 200 when first built before the medieval era, then another 400 for the same hub in medieval, etc. I think that makes more sense than getting retroactive payments for building a hub in later eras.

It's possible. I haven't committed to a design yet. The original concept when I started working on Spain back in January was actually "Receive 500 Gold when you build a Commercial Hub adjacent to a Natural Wonder," but at the time I didn't know how to make it work, so they got the +5 Gold adjacency bonus instead. Modding Egypt's new ability taught me a lot of new tricks I didn't know were possible before.

Spain's ability works on the same Requirements system as Egypt's. It's a modifier applied to their districts that checks to see:
  • Is the district a Commercial Hub?
  • Is it adjacent to a Natural Wonder?
  • Is the player in at least era X?
The way it's implemented right now, if a player was to build the Commerce Hub in the Classical era, they'd get 200 Gold. Then they'd get 400 when they entered Rennaissance, 600 at Modern, and 800 at Information. If they were to just build the Commerce Hub in Information, they'd currently get a back payment of 200 + 400 + 600 +800, which may be too extreme. I could potentially add a check to make sure you don't get back paid.

Although these numbers look eye popping, they are actually lower than the potential from the existing +5 Gold bonus. A lot of times you can get 10 Gold/turn from that, which if you play the commerce zone doubling card gives you 20/turn. You'd get 400 Gold (the Renaissance award) every 20 turns. You also have to destroy a Natural Wonder tile, which for many Natural Wonders cancels out their bonus, so there is a loss proposition. I rarely built the C hubs even with the +5 bonus because the base value of the tile was better.

The reason I made it every 2 eras and not every era is because it lowers the total number of checks involved by about half. I'm a little wary of game performance issues, so I am being careful with this new ability so far. I will likely roll it out by itself with no other major changes, like I did with Egypt, just to make sure people don't see a performance hit from it.

It's not ready for beta testing yet--I want to fiddle with the code a bit first. Most likely it will roll out sometime this week.

Hey guys, no release tonight. I've got some stuff coming up soon, but things aren't quite ready. I've started adding in the Russian text and ran into a fairly large issue with it. I can get the text in game, but right now the descriptions are duplicating (once in English and once in Russian) because of how the writing of text to the database is currently handled. I'll be working on that for next day or so and hopefully have something out, along with a few other changes, sometime this weekend.

Quo Combined Tweaks v3.11.7 BETA

We're getting close to the end of Beta for v3.11, so this patch features mainly bug fixes and fine tuning to a few mechanics.

Two features I've discussed recently (Russian translation and updates to Spain) are not included in this patch. I've pushed those back in favor of getting a bunch of basic stuff finalized first so we can push to Steam.

Balance Changes
  • The 3 entry level governments that all used to unlock together at Political Philosophy are now split into...

Very good work. It's very pleasant that you listen to the opinions of civilizators here. After all the collective mind sometimes (not always, but very often) are more effective than the single one. I'm satisfaed of options and the posibilities of setting that you wrote. That's very justly. When the mod will be in the alpha stage me myself or Clack will editing the Russian text for the last time. I think that will be Clack, because i will be busy in the recent weeks...and in the next months be at the countryside... Well, before Combined tweaks have entering the Steam I have some suggestions for the mod. Or it may be the suggestions for the future mods if you are planning to create something else. But first I should say that in all my gaming years (not only civ, but in many other games and genres) I never was much fan of the mods, because the developers almost always made the games as it should be, but now in our modern days, gamers are more oftenly collide with simple lack of balance or some old game mechanics that we loved, so they needs modding communityes now more than ever. I'l tell you again that your mod is right and makes game better. And in the tandem with others global mods makes the Civ VI are very strong game. The developers still should understand that the fans may guide the directions, but not always have the resources for global installations. And I should say that the firaxis are clearly understands that and uses our creativity to short work to themselves and create just a minor patches...at least for now... That explains why they 're continuing simplified the mod creating processes.... Well I may tell much, but wat I really whant to tell as the synopsys - it is good to have such creative community as Civfanatics. Mods were needed always. but in my opinion they should feel organic. And your mod is definately that one...and mods of some other peole here ofcourse. So, back to suggestions. You may agree with them, may disagre, you can even tell me that they are not relevant, but I'm still post them here:

1) Two cards for the last Civic that called "The future government" or "the government of the future" (I don't check how it called in the english version cause I play in russian). The idea is simple and may be integrated in the quo's Combined Tweaks if you agree.
First card - the red War card. Name: The Future Army (Армия будущего). Effects: Reduction of the maintenance fee for all military units by 3 gold per turn. Discount of 70% gold on the improvement of all military units. (Снижение стоимости содержания для всех военных юнитов на 3 золотых в ход. Скидка 70% золота на улучшения всех военных юнитов.).
The second card is the brown economic card. Name: Robotic production (Роботизированное производство). Effects: +5 to production in all cityes (+5 к производству во всех городах).
In the brackets I wrote the russian translation. Yes, I know that you may say to me that's this two additional cards not very necessary but for me it very unfare to see that the developers are not giving some kind of strong bonus for completing the entyre civic three. Same thing with the Last technology in the tech three but there we can place some very strong unit... at least for now, until the developers or modders will create the Future era. I always liked some small future instalments. Since Civ IV. But now at least two future policy cards... Maybe in the future Deliverator will create some future era units for Moar Units mod and placed them on the "Technology of the future" tech.

2) Cultural annexy of territory and the cities. The mechanic that I loved back in the civ IV. I understand that in the current game status it's very difficult to achieve, and that sould be another global mod... Here in Combined Tweaks i liked the idea of cultural bomb from the wonders and the districts... I understand that you're using the base ability of Poland that the developers added paches ago... or you reprogram something global by yourself? I don't know is there was something similar in the Civ V mods... In that time I'm not tracked the most mods...only a few...

3) Can you make an option in Combined Tweaks options file that may return the ability of capturing enemy settlers? I think that should be optional too. On default you may leave this theak turned on.

4) The ability of creating constant alliances with one of the AI or human players until the end of the game. That was a very interesting mechanic back in the Civ IV days...

I can write many things, but i understant that some of my wishes may be Implemented only by the developers if they will decide to make them be... It's a very difficult programming process...

Last edited:
Fresh install of 3.11.7 BETA into mod folder, after deleting databases:

Database.log
Code:
[2545234.327] [Gameplay] ERROR: near "0": syntax error
[2545234.928] [Gameplay] ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: tblQuoSoftCrash.Quo_ExitFile
[2545234.928] [Gameplay] ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: tblQuoSoftCrash.Quo_ExitFile

Modding.log
Code:
[2545234.928] Status: UpdateDatabase - Loading Gameplay/Quo_PopYield_Code.sql
[2545234.928] Warning: UpdateDatabase - Error Loading SQL.
[2545234.937] Status: UpdateDatabase - Loading Gameplay/Quo_AI_Civ_Code.sql
[2545234.937] Warning: UpdateDatabase - Error Loading SQL.

This mod works great with Moar Units, Dynamic Diplomacy, Real tech three, CQUI, Immersive Dialogue and Wondrous wonders. Very strong tandem.

I'm not certain I'd recommend Dynamic Diplomacy with Quo's, as they both add friendship bonuses; I believe both bonuses are active, which gets quite overpowered in some cases.

How well would QCT work with new leaders and new civs from the workshop?

Top Bottom