R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

I am glad that the city selling won't be in the next version but I'm still intrigued by how it works. You must be right about the question of saleability being related to whether the buyer would be interested in liberating the city or not, Post Scriptum, but there seem to be other factors involved too.

Now playing as USSR, you can take Pinsk or Brest-Litovsk and sell them to Britain or France (but sometimes it's only one of them, and not always the same one, and seemingly not necessarily related to their diplomatic stance toward you, though that seems to play some role. On the same turn (reloading to before the sale of the city) you can't sell a recently-taken Lvov, which seems never to be up for sale.

Also, it does surprise me you can't sell a Polish city (playing as Nazis) that will eventually become Soviet after Poland falls to the Soviets while they are at war with Poland but just before the fall (and have the city just stay Soviet) since they clearly would want the city. If, after the fall, I sell a Polish city I took (playing as the Soviets) to Italy, then they pay lots and keep the city (as ally to Germany I think they count as at war with Poland after its fall...whereas if I sell it at the same time to UK or France, they pay less and it reverts to Polish).

Given all the complications, just eliminating selling cites, while keeping gifting of cities, does seem the wisest course.

An amusing non-historical thing happened in this game (USSR on second highest setting). In 1940, the Italians launched a surprise attack on me....in Poland, while I was away in Finland. And after I beat them back, saw all their units leave and I signed a peace treaty, they left a little pocket of Poland with 'Italian culture' (Italian borders/territory).

Some of the things that happen with this mod are hilarious and interesting at the same time as the game does its best to punish you for assuming everything will happen according to script (which is why I left the Polish border completely unattended). You've done a great job, Gedemon, of blending the scripting of events with unscripted game play creating occasional clunky transitions but usually just interesting variations on history.

My latest plan is to take Switzerland and see if all the cites have banks...there must be one in Zurich ;)

One thing I've noticed repeatedly is that bombing an embarked artillery is very ineffective (with either a fast bomber or attack/dive bomber), while it does a lot of damage to any other unit that is embarked (say, a tank). I think I saw the game once indicate the defense was some astronomical value on an arty's boat. Not sure if sub attacks are similarly less affective than on other 'boats', but maybe.

The game engine refers to embarked units as land unit which break completly the balance, and worst it does not apply the same rules for embarked units with ranged attack... I'm still trying to rebalance that, but now I'm prioritizing an alternative to embarked units like transport ships.

Dear Gedemon,

Unfortunately there is a huge bug that I have,
After loading the two parts in the mod browser, I then click Single Player then Custom Campaign, after loading desired mod, I then turn to the Start game button.
Here is the catch, when I click the Start game button, boom nothing happens.
I clicked it several times in rapid succession with no success, it doesn't work on both '39-'45 Europe and Earth Jan. '42 scenarios.

*game is fully updated (ver. 1.0.1.167)
*no other mods activated
*very capable computer

Troubleshooting;
1. Restarted program, no other mods activated except the two. - Fail
2. Restarted Computer - Fail
3. Did what you said about the cache and the config.ini file - still Fail
4. Redownloaded, re-installed - Fail
5. Ask help from you with the Lua.log file - waiting for response

Attachments

• Lua.rar
    3.7 KB · Views: 58
Dear Gedemon,

*game is fully updated (ver. 1.0.1.167)

what??

update your version of Civilization to at least patch 1.0.1.332

this is in the 'installation' part on the first page.

1.0.1.167 isn't the newest version.......could you update it??
maybe this is the problem....

I´ve installed CIV V on my friends computer useing my steam-account. Followed all your instructions on the first page. EXACTLY the same problems i had with my own computer. I´ve installed steam and the game in english. Is it possible that your whole MOD is not working with german versions or even in germany???!!! Everythings possible with steam...
Is anybody else using a german version?
Does anybody has got an idea? i was able to play the very first version but now...

I´ve installed CIV V on my computer useing my steam-account. Followed all your instructions on the first page.
The MOD 39 - 45 have not one produktions Button. The MOD 42 Earth is funktionable.

I've noticed a couple of bugs.

I was playing USSR, sweeping through North Africa and took each city in Tunisia in turn, which was allied with Hitler/Mussolini at the time. When Tunis, the last city, fell, the "government changed" and had joined the Allies, the country was liberated (pushing my units out of the city and losing supply chain) yet in the map it indicated Tunisia was allied with an enemy (presumably the Axis) and at war with me. In the Diplomacy overview world politics screen it said Tunisia was allied with UK/France though.

Another thing that happened, was that when I took Genoa and the Italian bombed and retook it, the infantry unit I had in the city just vanished, without any acknowledgment it had been described. It was in good health but would have had to skip a tank unit that was right behind it in order to retreat (which I've seen enemy units do quite often when they retreat.).

I recaptured all the cities, this time starting with Tunis and working back east. I had no further trouble and kept the country under my control. It did not seem to cause trouble with the Allies (as though I was attacking an allied city state, which in theory Tunisia was, at the time).

Looking forward to the future North Africa ideas you have.

I've noticed a couple of bugs.

Another thing that happened, was that when I took Genoa and the Italian bombed and retook it, the infantry unit I had in the city just vanished, without any acknowledgment it had been described. It was in good health but would have had to skip a tank unit that was right behind it in order to retreat (which I've seen enemy units do quite often when they retreat.).

Looking forward to the future North Africa ideas you have.

I had a similar, no actually worse experience....
I took Danzig from Germany during the war, and the t34 seized the city. Germany bombed and took it back again. So naturally I looked for a damaged t34(it was full hp when it was inside the city).......to find none......and it was the first t34 I made in this mod......and it was the most experienced unit along with kv-1(had up to shock 3 i think...)

So, are there any conditions for units to retreat?? danzig was surrounded by Nazi navy, and two nazi infantry covered the west and middle land square. my unit covered the east square.

and i am eagerly awaiting for what you plan for Africa, too.

I'm playing as UK and i just completed M4 Sherman Firefly project and i cant build this unit. This is a bug?

Yes, I concur with the city capture/unit disappearing issue. I, as Italy, and the Soviets pretty much retake Danzig about every other turn and the last 3 times I've had the unit that was in the city deleted when it was captured.

I'm also a little confused on one issue: do I need a administrative building and broadcast tower in captured cities in order to build infantry and other equipment (along with the proper barracks, factory, land factory)? Seems like a steep requirement - if you're able to build an admin building and factory, seems you should be able to produce equipment. I'm 107 turns into the game and my initially captured cities are still not able to contribute war equipment.

I'm not sure if this is a bug that's been reported already, I couldn't find anything trying to search the thread. A couple of times now I've run into an issue where I stop getting reinforcements for any of my units. The personnel and materiel +/- number stays the same from turn to turn, but the amount stored keep going up. It happened once while I was playing as Germany and again today while playing as the US.

Where are my workers? I need railroads. How can I build tem.:confused:

Congratulations! :goodjob:Great job!

for now, there are none. I think Gedemon plans to add workers (in the form of engineers or pioneers or sappers, whatever it is called) But for now, none. You can only used the roads which are present in the beginning.

Do you know how much memory is required to run this mod? I properly extracted and enabled the mod, cleared the cache, put on the LUA logger and after a couple minutes loading it fails with a LUA message of insufficient memory. I run in a Windows7 partition under Parallels on an iMac, normally in a 1 GB memory space. I bumped it to 2 GB and still get the memory error. If I go much beyond that it slows the whole machine down too much.

I have the same problem with the other big WWII mod, but have been able to run all others fine.

Thanks, would love to try this one.

I forgot to put the last few lines from the LUA log:

[545.984] RedMain: Loading data tables ...
[545.984] RedMain: -------------------------------------
[545.984] RedMain: Creating Territory Map and remove all ownership from water tiles and cities...
[553.234] Memory Allocation Error: not enough memory

Top Bottom