1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

Discussion in 'R.E.D. World War II Edition' started by Gedemon, Aug 15, 2011.

1. kennyboy000

kennyboy000 Chieftain

I just realised.. It's 1936, not 39.. I got it mixed up. :)

And I see you already wrote that here :D My bad! It's a shame that it won't release soon, though.. what is soon or not soon, hm? ;) And yea', every single map 36 October 10th or 20th crashes. It's quite a shame :(

My system should be able to run it all smooth and I found out how to do Hotlink games btw- wasn't a bug! :)

2. Skibbi

Skibbi Prince

I like the introduction of howitzers and field guns! It really gives tanks the ****s but substantial air power and strong tanks (well, panzer 1's) should be enough to defeat them when surrounded.
    Also, I think anti-air guns should be more like flak, being able to do preperation fire!

3. T_KCommanderbly

T_KCommanderbly Prince

Thought id pitch in, I made the giant earth 1936 scenario and it crashes on my computer (because my computer can't take it :)) which is why like Gedemon said I made another version (which hes adding in) which cuts the unnessary parts of the world map and makes it a bit smaller then the 1939 europe map. That and I hated the long turns. Now if we get crashes on that then there is deffinelty something wrong on my end.

4. kennyboy000

kennyboy000 Chieftain

I agree AA should have more range, for me it only helps the unit it's stationed on.

Any way to get that other version earlier? :)

Edit: Clearing the Cache worked perfectly by the way.

5. Glorthoron

Glorthoron Warlord

I'm not a big fan of AA guns doing prepartion fire, but it would be nice to see them able to defend adjacent hexes.

6. Maccai

Maccai Chieftain

I tried out AA guns in a previous game and found they weren't very useful. I second the suggestion of being able to defend adjacent hexes. The AA gun didn't even seem to defend the unit it was stacked with. At least I didn't see the usual interception message you get for destroyers and fighters.

7. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

when they defend adjacent tiles, they also prevent fighters to do air sweep on those tiles, which I don't like.

in my test game, they defended correctly the tile they are in (by being the best defender from air attack first, and having 3 interceptions on that tile when they are low on health second)

what I may do is raised their anti-air strength and make them cheaper to build.

8. constrainer

constrainer Chieftain

In my games having more than 1 or 2 aa guns seems a waste to me. The only use I found for them was for leaving them in a city that is being bombed constantly.

9. kennyboy000

kennyboy000 Chieftain

How do tle improvements repair? And well I do think that the rest are right, Gedemon. It's your mod though, I suppose.. Adjacent hexes makes it ALOT more valueble.

10. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

if someone can take the time to remove the anti-airsweep ability from AA-guns, I'll raise the range.

11. T_KCommanderbly

T_KCommanderbly Prince

Ok

And I think it will be in the next update. I could post (I forget what version of red ww2) which has the map in it if you want.

12. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

I hope to release the merged development version this WE so you can have a go at adding more units.

13. Glorthoron

Glorthoron Warlord

What do you think of including a new building called an aerodrome that provides the experience bonus that a barracks would supply, but only have it apply to planes?

14. Homusubi

Homusubi Lafcadio Hearn Wannabe

Is there a mod which simply adds the units-capture-tiles function and nothing else?

15. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

16. Parthius

Parthius Chieftain

I have a dumb question. The recommended memory I've seen for the 39 scenario is 4GB while the recommendation for the 36 scenario is 8GB. Since Civ5 is a 32 bit application, how does the memory above 4GB factor in?

17. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

AFAIK the Civ app never use more than 2GB, but "normal" users will never take the time to close background apps, and they usually have a lot of them running... And there is the OS...

So I played safe and asked for more than needed.

18. Parthius

Parthius Chieftain

Ahhh, like the 27 different applications and/or windows I currently have open...
    Thanks for the explanation!

19. ilshur

ilshur Warlord

there needs to be some alternate form of militia or basic infantry that is cheap both to build and reinforce, but correspondingly weak. It'd help fill the battle space and not leave just huge stretches of area to crash through with armor.

This is especially an issue with the 1939 basic game when invading russia - there is virtually no resistance until you get to major cities or run into the AI's 'blob army'

20. Telemaco

Telemaco Chieftain

Hi, can I save onto a file or display again the messages about the combat? Thanks