Votes: 2 5.4%
  • 4 gigs

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • 5 Gigs ( I'm rich )

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own a supercomputer

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
I'd like to have 4G so I can multitask programs that require A LOT of memory (for example, when I'm writing music I would love to be able to keep open all the 4 programs that I'm using, but there's no way since they are way too memory-hungry, and they all work with huge >100 Mb files and load them in multiple layers, etc).

I have 2gigs right now and I have more pressing things to spend my money on. :) Hmm, apparently memories are also a bit more expensive here than what I've seen in other countries (well, it's not like it's unaffordable, but it's rarely less than 70 euros or so, usually over 75).

If I'm not writing music or making graphics (which also require me to have at least 2 huge programs open at the same time), 2Gb is perfectly fine for me. I don't play any new games (in fact lately I've had no time to play any computer games at all).

2GB minimum for a new PC. 3GB if you're into games and such. To go beyond that you need Vista64, and it's really only *needed* if you're into crazy multitasking like 50 programs open at once, or have some other specific requirement.

2GB minimum for a new PC. 3GB if you're into games and such. To go beyond that you need Vista64, and it's really only *needed* if you're into crazy multitasking like 50 programs open at once, or have some other specific requirement.

You might as well get 4GB even if you don't have 64bit, just to max out the RAM. It's not significantly more expensive to make it not worthwhile.

You might as well get 4GB even if you don't have 64bit, just to max out the RAM. It's not significantly more expensive to make it not worthwhile.
You'll only be able to use 256MB or so of the last GB on any 32 bit Windows platform. Not even worth the trouble.

I want 2GB cos im on vista, sadly my lappy only has 1GB

My PC is now about a year old and has 2GB which has been more than enough so far and will probably be enough until 2010, but RAM prices being pretty low at the moment I'm contemplating getting two 2GB sticks and upgrading to 6 GB which will get me throgh my mainboard's life-span without trouble.

My PC is now about a year old and has 2GB which has been more than enough so far and will probably be enough until 2010, but RAM prices being pretty low at the moment I'm contemplating getting two 2GB sticks and upgrading to 6 GB which will get me throgh my mainboard's life-span without trouble.
It would be a good idea to check if your mobo supports more than 4gb.

"It depends."

My wife's Vista PC has 1G, because I convinced her to go for the "upgrade" from 512M. It runs just fine with that. Even lets me play Civ4 on it without any real trouble.

My computer has 884M. But I run Linux, and it does all the 3D stuff I want, including games, and is snappy as can be. I *could* use more, but it is completely unnecessary. :)

My one Windows 98 junker uses 128 mb of RAM and it runs fine, I can even run C3C on it with no problems.
My laptop with Windows Vista :)() 32 bit I have 512 of RAM, I am planing to upgrade soon to atleast 1 gig.

there's no point in going past 2 unless you're running vista 64bit or *nix 64 bit. I can't afford vista 64bit and I haven't needed anymore than the 2 gigs I have on linux.

I have a theory -- lets call it "Mise's Law" -- that if you want Vista to run as quickly as XP, you need twice as much RAM. So if you had 512mb RAM in XP, and you upgraded to Vista, you'd need 1Gb of RAM to not notice a drop in speed.

This is based on me having 512mb in XP, then upgrading to 1gb in XP, then upgrading to Vista. Speed went up, then down. Now Vista does everything about as fast as the 512mb PC I bought 4 or 5 years ago (but obviously it does it a lot prettier and more securely).

It would be a good idea to check if your mobo supports more than 4gb.

It supports 8GB, I check these things before I buy equipment, but I doubt I'll need the full 8GB before the board itself goes obsolete.

My new comp (well, 6 months old) came with 3gb of ram, and vista 32 bit... I fear something is wrong there!

The first PC my family owned had 4 (four) meg of ram, and no sound! And when you pressed the 'turbo' button on the front, the processor speed went up from 24 to 32 mhz!

My new comp (well, 6 months old) came with 3gb of ram, and vista 32 bit... I fear something is wrong there!

Sounds about ideal; 3GB is the most 32-bit Vista can really utilize.

Sounds about ideal; 3GB is the most 32-bit Vista can really utilize.

Ah that's cool, I was worried after reading Shadylookin's comment about going over 2gb. I guess he meant doubling to 4gb.

Ah that's cool, I was worried after reading Shadylookin's comment about going over 2gb. I guess he meant doubling to 4gb.
He's incorrect.

Top Bottom