Ranch dressing, mayo, and other food musings (moved from "Random Rants")

Mayo must be on sandwiches or wraps, and occasionally burgers.
Oh, and Miracle Whip is not Mayo, it is grossness.
https://theoatmeal.com/blog/miracle_whip

Ya, miracle whip is a bad joke.
The mayo at Subway is pretty tasty.

Best ranch is mmm, Red Robin salad dressing?
Not sure.

Best butter is Texas Roadhouse.
Some kind of perfect honey cinnamon concoction for their rolls.

Doritos Ranch is popular enough to team up with Papa Johns.

DORITOS® COOL RANCH® PAPADIAS®​

Starting at $7.99

Introducing the bold collaboration of two fan favorites: Papa Johns + Doritos®.
For the first time ever, we're unleashing the bold, zesty flavor of Doritos® Cool Ranch® on Papa Johns melty, cheesy flatbread-style sandwich: the Papadia.
Served with a signature Cool Ranch® dipping sauce.

ORDER NOW

Doritos has a Ranch flavor of their chips. It's a nice break from all the cheese.
"Cool Ranch" Its very popular in the US... probably more popular than the original flavor at this point,
Best butter is Texas Roadhouse.
Some kind of perfect honey cinnamon concoction for their rolls.
Hallelujah and Amen, that butter is heavenly... and goes perfect with those soft buttery rolls :yumyum:

Oh God, what did I do?

Ranch. Another Murcan obsession that no one else gets.

Brother here in Oz got some to try. Used it once.

Yeah, it wasn't bad. Now that you mention it, I think it had walnuts too.
Pineapple is good as well, and all of the above are great in tuna salad as well.

Mayo? The water of condiments -- flavorless and bland. I use Miracle Whip myself. But mustard, yellow or spiced, is my go-to sammich spread with meat.

mayo is amazing. the secret to a truly great grilled cheese, and the means to make virtually any quick sauce in minutes. That alone is spectacular, but it’s also great alone in burgers or sandwiches.

I absolutely love ranch especially with hot wings. You probably had crap ranch dressing on that sandwich and it may have turned :lol: . Anyway, best ranch is house made. I never get dressing at restaurants unless they make their own. Ranch isn’t too hard to make either. Just need buttermilk, garlic, dill and eggs mainly.

"Cool Ranch" Its very popular in the US... probably more popular than the original flavor at this point,

Hallelujah and Amen, that butter is heavenly... and goes perfect with those soft buttery rolls :yumyum:

Yes, I meant to say Cool Ranch, which only applies to the chips. I haven't kept up with what varieties might exist of the actual dressing, since the only kinds of salad I eat now are either egg or chicken or fruit.

Hm, mayonese (sorry, mayonnaise - what dreadful spelling) is fattening, so not good. I don't mind the taste - it's very mild. I suppose it goes well with green salads. Also with fish.

What kind of fish? :dubious:

The proper accompaniment to cod is tartar sauce, though I've substituted sweet & sour sauce or barbecue sauce if tartar wasn't available (the BBQ sauce will also do for the chips if ketchup isn't available). I like seafood sauce if eating crab or shrimp (which aren't fish, but they all come from the ocean).

If properly prepared, salmon, trout, and whitefish don't require anything fancy (a bit of dill is nice on salmon - not sauce, just a bit of dill). Some people put lemon juice on fish, but I don't see the point. But then I got spoiled, since my grandmother was very good at preparing fish that was so good it didn't need anything extra.

I've got quite a few tins of mackerel and herring in the pantry. The herring is lemon-pepper, and the mackerel I prefer is said to be Mediterranean style, including black olives and red peppers.

If I were eating it fresh, I'm not sure what, if anything, I'd put on it. I've never had either of them fresh.

Why was this thread removed from Random Rants? This is clearly rantworthy.

Check your Alerts. We had enough posts about the topic to merit its own thread.

Oh God, what did I do?

You spawned a new topic!

Mayo? The water of condiments -- flavorless and bland. (…) But mustard, yellow or spiced, is my go-to sammich spread with meat.
How can one statement of utter lunacy stand side-by-side with one of plain common sense?

Check your Alerts. We had enough posts about the topic to merit its own thread.
I know that, but 1) it wasn't an issue until it was made into a thread of its own and 2) not all posts were transferred.
Plus 3) it really is a rant that some people appear to dislike mayonnaise.
Valka D'Ur said:
You spawned a new topic!
It just has to be a new serial thread. It is the only way.

Top Bottom