Random-01: The Wheels Come Off

ah well these things happen. i suppose yu guys will berate me for not attaching him to a worthless unit like a chariot that wouldn't fight a battle in a million years.

No we won't since we're not allowed to build chariots.

EDIT: Here is the roster.

azaris
tycoonist (just played)
njorls (UP for 15 turns of Alexander the Greatacide)
stuge (on deck)
NoChildren (temporarily WIA)

The War continues...

Turn 2: I take Mycanae losing no Cataphracts. Cataphracts are donig very well. I kept Mycanae, it had a town near it so I thought it would be well developed. It had a lighthouse, courthouse and a settled great general inside :)

Turn 3: I razed Epheseus. Refounding it 1 tile west would get a seafood tile. I think a maceman took it at 27% odds.

Alexander's counterattack shows up

Somewhere in here, Alex founded a city NE of Athens. I took it and it autorazed, it's not a bad city site but I didn't want to wait for it to grow to size 2.

I got a Great General who I settled in Visigoth.

Turn 4: Alexander's counterattack suicides on Hurrian, we didn't take any losses.

Turn 4, I think, the more fun I'm having the fewer screenshots I remember to take :)
Spy puts Athens in revolt. We take Athens with no losses.

I had spies in Thebes and ummm... the other walled city (writing this at work, can't check) get caught, I think Alexander's on to the spy trick.

Turn 9: Argos is captured, again no cataphracts lost. I kept it hoping it was well developed, had some cities that were almost towns.

The slower moving City Raider Macemen are marching towards Pharsalos, not sure if they'll be able to take them. They haven't seen a lot of action, Cataphracts are showing them up. Cataphracts are healing.

War weariness is pretty bad but I think we have enough units in the field to take Alex out. We might want some longbowmen down south to hold the other cities. Alex's westernmost city should be razed and founded 1 tile west to get the 2 seafood tiles.

Forbidden Palace south when peace is declared should help economy a lot.

Attachments

• Random-01 AD-1325.CivBeyondSwordSave
    309.6 KB · Views: 78
Who should we go after when Alex is finished? I'm thinking Darius to get us a bigger production base.

I have to ask for a skip. RL is hitting me with everything it has.

I'l jump on this one, but get me to the back of the roster. Need some time to read the thread :coffee:

We experience the same thing on Mansa game, ain't we azaris ? Do you think it's a kind of a disease ?

Edit: When I see the landmass, I'm a little bit scared :eek:

I'l jump on this one, but get me to the back of the roster. Need some time to read the thread :coffee:

Sure, but the front of the roster is pretty much the same as the back of the roster seeing how we've been trying to keep it going with three players. If you can grab a turnset it would help a lot.

We experience the same thing on Mansa game, ain't we azaris ? Do you think it's a kind of a disease ?

Edit: When I see the landmass, I'm a little bit scared :eek:

We probably should be scared of what Pacal and Wang are up to. What this game needs is a really good world war to stifle the tech rate.

Here is our rooster:

azaris
njorls
tycoonist
NoChildren (broken BtS)
stuge (real-life issues)

pawelo

Make it a 'got it' then :)

As I presume, having read njorls' report, I'm up to finish off the greek.

The eco seems badly hit - I presume it's the conquest and the army costs.

I'll try to play it tomorrow (though the RL may be annoying), monday morning (GMT) at the latest.

Hope I won't be too much of a burden to your well oiled machinery ;)
Are there any important reminders for my next 10 ?

Don't screw up. ;) Nice to have you aboard.

Just focus on making Alex history. After that we can decide on the next victim. It may be that we have to start a pillaging war against the tech leaders. If we can pull it off, conquering Persia while razing Pacal's and Wang's cottages would be sweet. It all comes down to production, x number of cataprachts needed.

Oh, and I can play again.

OK, I'll adjust the roster then:

azaris
njorls
tycoonist
NoChildren (broken BtS)
pawelo (UP)
stuge (on deck)

Just don't build any wheelie units, pawelo (like I almost did the last time :mischief:). Our economy has been pretty bad for a long time now, I recommend making the deal with Louis I mentioned before. We need trade and conquest to keep the cash flowing in.

Played 4 turns than decided to stall - new situation needing more expert intel than mine.

At first things went pretty well.

I found the army recovering from last attacks and decided to go after Pharsalos and Thebes. I posted a spy in Corinth to get the intel on what was going on there. Alex seems to have put his major defense force inside the walls of this city.

IBT
Pacal offers a Fur for Iron.
As he is providing us with nice cash for Iron, I decline.

It reminded me about the Louis deal, I make it asap.
12g for our Clam

IBT
The whole wolrd DoW Alex - Wang, Pacal, Darius & Louis - I thought he was doomed

Cataph@Visigoth - Cataph
I sent three cataphs 2 tiles from Corinth, anticipating an attack from AC who had his SoD next to Alex's city (many HA, catapults, a praet, spears & axes).
Other healed troops were dispatched over to take the two eastern cities.

I captured Pharsalos losing 2 Catapharacts at ridiculous odds (75 and 94%):

AC doesn't attack Alex - I'm disappointed a little bit. Was hoping he will soften the defenses for our Cataphs.

Thebes falls with only one Cataph lost @66% odds :

IBT
Alex becomes a vassal to AC with only one city remaining
We are forced peace - I noticed it on the beginning of the next turn

Cataph@Athens - Cataph
I sent all troops to healing in Greek cities and need your appraisal of the situation.

Here is the Greece A.D. 1345:

So, what's up ?
Do we go after Darius now or do we build up the eco a little bit ?

Wait for your input.

OK, two options are open :

1/ attack Greece for the last city

CONS:
- I think we have to wait for 10 turns
- It means war with Caesar as well

PROS:
- our army is already there and healing
- Alex has only one city left - with a city revolt we can take it with few casualties
- no 'we yarn to our motherland' bulls**t in our new cities

2/ attack Darius

CONS:
- We have to leave the Greek cities less defended
- It will take a few turns to route everyone north

PROS:
- Darius' land
- he usually defends rather poorly

I attach the save to the post for discussion.

Going to play the remaining 6 tomorrow morning ( in 10 hours ).

Btw, what a nice thing this catapharact :)

Take out Alex for sure, that little sneak Augustus can't touch us. No point leaving one Greek city annoying us with its culture.

We need friends, though. Louis might declare on us once again, Wang hates us, and Darius is on the list. That leaves Pacal, who also happens to be our biggest rival.

Back from the front, reporting my remaining 6 turns.

We have kept the option to attack Greece then, followed by Persia.
I checked right ahead - we can attack Greece asap.
I decided to heal our highly promoted Catapharacts - no need to waste some of them on Corinth.

IBT
Caesar asks for Guilds in tribute - I answered something like $=%|# if I recall

Cataph@Constantinopole - Cataph
Cataph@Nicea - Cataph

IBT
Alex has become more funny than before war :

Guess my answer

Stable@Nicomedia - Cataph

Got a nice event @Antioch:

I decided to get +1g per turn - we are not running Religious Economy so no need to convert 2 of our cities for 44 gold.

Darius completed Spiral.

Our Cataph army is healing next in Argos

Monument@Athens - LBow

Cataph@Constantinopole - Cataph
LBow@Mycenae - LBow
Re-DoW Alex as our army is fully operational

IBT
Louis offers 410 gold for Compass which I accept - cash is cash
Wang complets Taj (he is pretty advanced ain't he?)

Attack and capture Corinth at no losses :

Great General is born and waits in Constatinopole.
Greeks are no more - this one was easy. Now it's time to get back AC to peace before his SoD returns...

I send to Thessa all the spies and fully healed Cataphs - leaving 6 wounded units in Corinth.

Dispatch all the EP on Darius.

Nationalism - MT
I wasn't sure what are we up to, so I started MT. A nice alternative was Banking.
Hippodrome@Knossos - Barracks
Whip LBow @Athens for Corinth defense

Here is Corinth 1375 A.D. :

We need to protect it better - even though AC's SoD is crappy, Corinth is in revolt and will need more than 2 LBows and an Axe + healing Catapharacts.

Up to Stuge to manage it :)
Good luck in DoWing Darius too!

And thanks for integrating me in the roster - it's a nice hack&slash game I like from time to time - changes a lot from the usual space/culture building :D

I say Darius is next. It'll put a real strain on our economy but the plunder money will keep us going and we have lots of cities to build wealth with. Also, I'd just keep teching for cavalry. Hopefully we get cavs by the time Persia is consolidated so we can start cranking them out and not stop until everyone else is pushing daisies.

Top Bottom