Random events on or off?

interesting discussions here :).

I kind of am lost in the sport analogies, because if you watch sports regularly you surely know how much "luck" as deciding factor of games is citing. Be it soccer, ice hockey, don't know much about basketball.
Of course if you would go at it from physics stand point analyzing vectors, body mass, bounces etc. there is no real luck, but the players themself for sure know when they have "lucky game" and "unlucky game".
For example in ice hockey you can get lucky bounce off your opposition, even referee or boards to get good shooting position, there is even more luck if you shoot the small hole around goalkeeper which is 10x10 cm. Well in reality it's no luck since as physicist you would say "the puck bounced that way because the vector of movement was so and so, etc, etc", but the player will always say he was lucky to get that bounce.

As for CIV I think there can be no argument about the less randomness the more skill shines and it's my feeling that in competitive formats huts and events should be banned on default.
And I would even argue about barbs ;-), but since AI is not programmed with the artificial knowledge when barbs are on or off then it's moot point.

Btw when we're at it... the most obvious randomness in CIV are battles, but there are more rolls then this. For example tech trades are another can of worms that deeply influence the game (maybe even more then some unlucky roll in particular game) and religion distribution of course too.

As far as random events go, can't you guys just agree that no matter what stats or "facts" you try to use that it is an opinion and you just disagree?

The whole reason there is such heated discussion, at least from me, is that events are actually standard fare in one competitive format and still seen in others on occasion.

Btw when we're at it... the most obvious randomness in CIV are battles, but there are more rolls then this. For example tech trades are another can of worms that deeply influence the game (maybe even more then some unlucky roll in particular game)

Oh, there are definitely other things that should typically be addressed depending on competition, and you've mentioned a few. The only thing that keeps me from laying into them is that this is a thread about events.

@TMIT

You 5 point summary has been addressed a great number of times, however anything that contradicts your point of view is most often summarily and vociferously dismissed as “non-argument”, “bad play” or “broken”.

Originally Posted by TheMeInTeam
1. They can change the outcome of games between relatively even play quality independently of skill.
A typical game of Civ 4 uses a random number generator many thousand times. Any single one of these (or a combination of any number of them) changes the outcome of games independently of skills.

3. Many of them are rare enough that sensible players would still run their prereqs.
Exactly. And in doing so, they accept the small risk of being screwed if the event actually happens despite the small probability factor. When one makes the choice of running Slavery, one accepts the risk of revolt. If one instead chooses to ignore Slavery, one chooses to ignore the possibility of reaping its benefits. It is a choice. In most situations the benefits outweigh the risks, which is why the decision of running Slavery is generally a rational one. But a rational decision is not the same as a correct decision. The correct decision is obvious only after the fact, after seeing how the revolts affected the player. If one ends up on the wrong end of the random generator the rational decision becomes the wrong decision. This is where your way of reasoning differs from mine. You seem to think that the rational decision should always be rewarded regardless of other factors (the risk of revolts in this case). I don’t have a problem accepting the fact that a rational choice might end up being the wrong one.

2. Many of them have 0 way to plan for them ahead of side and a simple adjustment when they happen, making them strategically worthless (also never refuted), despite claims that events force people to adapt strategies (they don't, they force players to shift strategies they're running at present).
Very similar to the point above. All the events are known, so the theoretical possibility of planning for them exists. Not doing so may be the most rational thing to do but is still optional. Having options is having a strategic choice. A strategically worthless event is something unknown or something that is completely detached from the game itself – like the cops suddenly arresting you for unpaid parking tickets, or a car crashing through your living room. Events were strategically worthless before that legendary post on these forums that described their mechanics and their effects. Now, they’re just another thing to consider, another risk to weigh.

4. There are some absolutely garbage events that can cause an instant loss outright, and some that in the right situation can lead to an instant win.
This is almost the same as point one. Anyway, “instant” is not exactly correct, since even the Aryans would take some turns to get to your city. “Almost immediate” would be a better wording. But again, a great number of random calculations during the course of the game, may eventually lead to a loss or win. You’re just being frustrated at the random event because the causality is immediately and painfully obvious. What if a few unfavourable battle outcomes prolong a war, which delays building of infrastructure, which in turn causes someone else to beat you to victory by a few turns? The causality is still there, just not obvious. (Personally, I would prefer the instant loss compared to spending several hours on the game only to lose at the end, but that has no bearing on the discussion.)

5. Players with more time can simply game the system
Yes, higher investment should be rewarded with better returns. People who make a HoF entry their highest goal in life and spend 20 hours a day replaying games should by all means get that precious high score and be proud about it. They run however a higher risk of missing out on the other things in life. You seem to want to do both – put in less time, but still be rewarded by the HoF system on the basis of being a “sensible” and “good” player. It is an idealistic and not so realistic view, arguably self-centred as well.

I suppose all I want to say is that the nature of random events make their impact on the game very obvious, which is of course annoying. There are however many other random factors with similar impact on the game that are less obvious. Provided all the relevant information is made available to all players at the start of the competition, I don’t see any reason for events being singled out as a particular evil. At the start of the game everyone stands the same chance.

I have moderate hope of my logic coming across, based on your previous statement that “sports have extremely minimal elements of chance” and the fact that you actually appear to believe that you have come up with an example of a “competition that has absolutely 0 luck factor”. It seems the difference between our points of view is a difference in perspective and term definitions.

Still on a side note:

Spoiler :

Possible distributions:

Originally Posted by Logotet
A little bit off topic, but there is something erroneous about you 1 2 3 distribution example. It looks like you are talking about multicombinations and in that case there are some possibilities missing. The total number of possibilities should be (5*4*3)/(3*2*1)=10, which means you’re missing two. The most common outcome (6 out of 10) is to have two of the same element and another one (112 or 223), the second most common outcome is to have three of the same (3 out of 10, i.e. 111 or 222). Finally the least probable outcome is to have one of each (1 out of 10, i.e. 123). It is rather unclear why you single out the combinations 122 and 123. I must be missing something.

They are the 2 closest to the center of the distribution. I also didn't want to make the post needlessly long. Strictly speaking, even those outcomes are slightly imbalanced but they're as close as you're getting in that model.

This is a very humorous explanation. Both original example and explanation are nonsensical considering the way they are presented. You write 20+ lines and omit two to avoid making the post "needlessly long". I love it. Ever considered saying that your example was hastily constructed and consequentially wrong? No shame in that.

Of course if you would go at it from physics stand point analyzing vectors, body mass, bounces etc. there is no real luck, but the players themself for sure know when they have "lucky game" and "unlucky game".
For example in ice hockey you can get lucky bounce off your opposition, even referee or boards to get good shooting position, there is even more luck if you shoot the small hole around goalkeeper which is 10x10 cm. Well in reality it's no luck since as physicist you would say "the puck bounced that way because the vector of movement was so and so, etc, etc", but the player will always say he was lucky to get that bounce.

All true, with the addition that the "luck" (or the random factor) could be defined as the presence of all conditions that make the bounce possible. If the physicist freezes the game at the exact moment the shot is taken, he or she can calculate vectors and come to a conclusion. However, noone can predict the bounce before the game has started, there are simply too many unknowns - hockey player tend to scate around a lot for one. This is what makes sports so inpredictable, this randomness that many people generally refer to as "luck".

People who make a HoF entry their highest goal in life

:sad: Let's hope not. Personally, I think more effective ways to achieve fame and respect in the CIV community are through forum contributions, mods, advice, shared experiences etc.

be rewarded by the HoF system on the basis of being a “sensible” and “good” player ... is an idealistic and not so realistic view

I guess that's what the forums are for: to rant about all the ideals that don't actually exist in the CIV universe!

When xbox live first started I was on a very competitive Ghost Recon team. Lag was a pain back then so we played "no explosives" option. Many debates raged over whether people should play with or without explosives, or even the hand grenades only option, as a proper competitive format. The simple answer was that if you dont like someone's rule set for their competition then dont compete.

Same holds true in basketball. Sometimes in a half court game you play "loser's outs" where after a team scores the other gets the ball. Sometimes you play "make it take it" where after a team scores they get the ball again. If you think "make it take it" is BS, then dont play in a game where they are gonna play that way.

A typical game of Civ 4 uses a random number generator many thousand times. Any single one of these (or a combination of any number of them) changes the outcome of games independently of skills.

Actually incidence of RNG outcomes changing an outcome within 1 roll are pretty rare. Care to give alternative examples that are so common as to be potentially gamebreaking, across an entire game? Aside from map rolls there aren't many...and most competitive formats seek to eliminate this as a factor...

By the way, the existence of some random factors screwing with the outcome does not make adding additional factors of that kind is a good or even neutral ideal, so you're not really refuting point 1 at all, just pointing out other aspects of the game which aren't particularly relevant to events and are often mitigated in competition. Deliberately

Exactly. And in doing so, they accept the small risk of being screwed if the event actually happens despite the small probability factor.

Exactly. So one person is punished for playing intelligently, and other players aren't. Wait, how is that a good thing?

I don’t have a problem accepting the fact that a rational choice might end up being the wrong one.

It's almost never the wrong one though. Everyone without perfectly hilly lands will run it, and some will receive a penalty while others do not. Even with the revolts, it was still the best option...but derp! Different rewards for the same thing. This is a strategy game. Why are people being *randomly* punished for making a sound choice? This is a perfect example of the idiocy of design in events when it comes to competitive settings. You and I play duel map, you get 4 slave revolts in the BCs, I get 0. We both have copper but you can't use yours in time. I win.

WTG on the "strategy" game right there.

Now, they’re just another thing to consider, another risk to weigh.

Any decisions made in dealing with some of them? No. Any thought required in dealing with some of them? Still no. Strategically worthless? Yes, despite your claim or presentation of irrelevant (and in one case not so random) examples.

But again, a great number of random calculations during the course of the game, may eventually lead to a loss or win.

I have presented fine examples of my (okay fine) *almost* instant win and loss events. Go ahead, show us that "great number" of random calculations that have a similar impact, since you're claiming it multiple times and using it as the basis for an irrelevant argument.

There's a reason that competent map creators for competitions seek to iron these crap factors out. Even HoF does so, by allowing multiple attempts with differing maps (and allowing mapfinder and opponent selection to cut down on the RNG impact). Indeed, it is to bypass random factors and let good play shine that HoF allows multiple submissions to some extent. But go ahead, show how the addition of random and potentially game breaking factors is good for competition, right after you can prove the ludicrous claim that there are lots of RNG outcomes that are similar.

For example:

What if a few unfavourable battle outcomes prolong a war, which delays building of infrastructure, which in turn causes someone else to beat you to victory by a few turns? The causality is still there, just not obvious.

Is ridiculous. Instead of having one, extremely high-impact but low occurrence event to screw you over, you're talking about LOTS of RNG outcomes, where no single one is that large of an impact. Factoring in collateral (IE GUARANTEED damage!) or not very many extra units (with experience) the odds of this can be curtailed to the point where it is nearly impossible. There is also the application of strategy here, and an actual evaluation of risk and an actual break point that might change the attack decision entirely. You go ahead and show me that application for being FORCED to declare on someone, being hit by an early uprising, or forest fires before writing.

(Personally, I would prefer the instant loss compared to spending several hours on the game only to lose at the end, but that has no bearing on the discussion.)

Well then it's a GOOD THING you don't want events on! Oh wait. I wish upon you 10000 hammers lost at sea, and that you are forced to declare into a 3 way defensive pact, and that you lose because of diplo on a RNG outcome. Have fun with those, but keep them out of competition please.

Yes, higher investment should be rewarded with better returns. People who make a HoF entry their highest goal in life and spend 20 hours a day replaying games should by all means get that precious high score and be proud about it.

Derp...

It is, quite simply, a database, an elite level of tables of the best games.

As games are submitted, verified and posted on the tables, it will become clear who is the best.

Here in the Hall of Fame are superior games to study from, experienced and talented players putting their wisdom and strategies up for all to read and know, and in the forum, posters gracious enough to advise on matters and answer questions.

Hmm. Strange. I kept looking for "luckiest" games, or for "players with most time" instead of "elite players". Looked and looked. Somehow, I couldn't find it. I wonder why that is?

Or maybe we're supposed to read "derp go for 4 huts and get the cover event" as elite strategy? Maybe not.

Maybe because in competitions, "most time" =/= best play.

put in less time, but still be rewarded by the HoF system on the basis of being a “sensible” and “good” player. It is an idealistic and not so realistic view, arguably self-centred as well.

Self-centered is somehow not telling other people what they want to do? Arguably? By the way, that isn't my motivation at all. I'd like to see more games by skilled players who play the game intelligently (like the deity win by Rusten on the tables) than by players who simply play 100 games and 1 time they got lucky on dice rolls and got a good finish. When I started in the HoF, I wasn't part of the elite. I'd argue I'm not even now. I used it as a learning tool, and this gummed up over-reliance on luck factors dilutes the tables and makes me wonder how much of a good outcome depended on luck and how much was the person's decisions.

I'd rather see a guy who out-plays the other actually win. That is the point of a competition, right? That the best player wins? If HoF defined itself around rating "players with the best amount of time to score well", then events would be a positive thing there. Odd though, that it doesn't happen that way in HoF's description of what it is.

I love it. Ever considered saying that your example was hastily constructed and consequentially wrong? No shame in that.

You know what I love? That I was wrong in the setup, and that such a fact was latched onto despite that my conclusion was accurate: more random factors = more chances at extreme outliers and less chance of a perfectly balanced outcome.

All true, with the addition that the "luck" (or the random factor) could be defined as the presence of all conditions that make the bounce possible. If the physicist freezes the game at the exact moment the shot is taken, he or she can calculate vectors and come to a conclusion. However, noone can predict the bounce before the game has started, there are simply too many unknowns

It's an amazing way to continually miss the point. Very impressive.

Speaking of wrong, we can now come to the conclusion that the following things are luck:

1. Gravity :rolleyes:.
2. The presence of any people at the site of competition
3. Hardwood floors
4. Players handling the ball before shooting
5. Players practicing shooting before the competition
6. Player ability to simply bounce a ball controllably

This world is filled with nothing except luck, ever. Luck all the time every time. Every outcome of everything is all luck. Skill is also luck, so why differentiate between the two? It's all luck anyway. The sun is luck too. Light is luck. Luck luck luck luck. That's the argument. Why complain about luck when everything is luck? If everything is luck you just deal with the luck and if you're lucky enough to deal with it you're lucky because after all dealing with luck is also luck because luck is skill and everything.

The simple answer was that if you dont like someone's rule set for their competition then dont compete.

Well, some formats have lacking alternatives. But perhaps more grating are formats that claim they do one thing, but then take steps to do another.

All true, with the addition that the "luck" (or the random factor) could be defined as the presence of all conditions that make the bounce possible. If the physicist freezes the game at the exact moment the shot is taken, he or she can calculate vectors and come to a conclusion. However, noone can predict the bounce before the game has started, there are simply too many unknowns - hockey player tend to scate around a lot for one. This is what makes sports so inpredictable, this randomness that many people generally refer to as "luck".

Should I now conclude that if I lose a game, it's not because I got unlucky but because I manipulated the RNG in the wrong way? I should have moved that warrior one left instead of one NW at the start, because that would have given me an extra win in my axe rush vs Monty.
Can you give me a definition of luck? I see it as a change of the outcome of an event due to an uncontrollable factor. The exact speed, zooming in on millimetres an hour, can not be controlled by an ice hockey skater. So, anything which changes in the game due to that skater skating 0.001% slower or faster, I see as luck, not as a different random factor which could have been controlled.

I sorta look at random events like watching a football game and suddenly seeing the Vedic Aryans sack the opposing QB. Or, the ref suddenly being stuck with blindness and the home team being awarded a free touchdown. Okay, so maybe one of these things has really happened.

I routinely toss units into battle at 55%~ odds. Do I blame it on luck, or perhaps maybe I should have brought a larger army?

No I just suck. That's not something I blame on luck, even though technically I occasionally "should" have won.

Note that losing some 75% battles is not luck. The game flat out tells you, you will lose 1 out of 4 fights of this engagement. You can decide these things.

A game like poker has a huge random element. But each move has an inherent EV value, and in general the better players gain a large advantage. It doesn't mean the correct move always wins, but the element of skill is clear.

It still makes no sense to introduce more randomness in that game (say a random event that takes away one of your cards), even though there's a significant chance of variance. It would reduce the amount of skill needed to play, and result in worse gameplay.

Besides early game, or extremely bad luck, you can easily plan for these things; especially when collateral gives you 95%+ odds constantly. By the modern era with friggin nukes, any complaints about combat RNG luck are largely just excuses.

How can events compare with this level of planning? Does the game tell me there's a 1 in 1000 chance it's gonna randomly screw me over for no reason?

Just because some aspects of the game are random, doesn't inherently justify every thing that is random.

What if there's a random event that happens that just shuts down your game? Hey, over the course of many games, the better player will still be more successful. Doesn't mean it's good game design or fun. It also has zero meaning, just adds extra noise and variance.

How exactly am I gonna advise 2 people who play the same game in the noble's club on the same difficulty, when one person gets a free capital due to barb uprising while the other loses a city due to 3 consecutive revolts?

"Oh you got unlucky, turn off events..."

When we're teaching fundamentals like basic rexing and warring, this doesn't help.

And considering there's an event that's pretty much that effectively shuts down a game (Vedic Aryan), I don't see how far off that is.

Why do people keep bringing up the extreme events that are low occurrence? Simple. The very fact that Firaxis even bothered putting something like that in there shows they have no concept of balance. And considering the likes of AP cheese (hurr not even playtested for a win), that is not farfetched. Really. I really have to question if they really tested the game's default settings at high difficulty settings; or even medium ones...

Since the discussion starts transforming into a spectacle for buffoons, I strongly suggest pressing the spoiler button only if there is absolutely nothing else even remotely interesting to do. Watching grass grow might turn out to be entertaining in comparison.

Spoiler :

1. They can change the outcome of games between relatively even play quality independently of skill.
Actually incidence of RNG outcomes changing an outcome within 1 roll are pretty rare. Care to give alternative examples that are so common as to be potentially gamebreaking, across an entire game?
The original point says nothing about “within 1 roll” and “potentially breaking”. It merely states “different outcomes independent of skill”. You’ve changed your statement and in fact made it identical to the original point 4. So we may strike this one off of the 5-point list. Agree?
So one person is punished for playing intelligently, and other players aren't. Wait, how is that a good thing?
Firstly, “god” and “bad” are not objective categories. Secondly, whether it is good or bad is irrelevant, what is relevant is that it is by no means a unique feature of random events. City siege, you move your stack next to the city, save the game and give me a copy. We load up and attack the city, you lose 3 units and I lose 6. Do you consider this “a perfect example of the idiocy of design” in combat “when it comes to competitive settings”. Do you wonder “Why are people being *randomly* punished for making a sound choice?” Gee, what a crappy, sorry excuse for a strategy game this must be. This actually illustrates where our opinions differ. You do have a problem with the rational decision turning out to be the wrong one. You consider it an unfair punishment, an insult to your intellect, morally wrong. I don’t. The reason is that Civ 4 is not an exclusively strategy game. Chess is. Civ 4 is a strategy game that incorporates a number of random features.
2. Many of them have 0 way to plan for them ahead of side and a simple adjustment when they happen, making them strategically worthless
Any decisions made in dealing with some of them [random events]? No. Any thought required in dealing with some of them? Still no. Strategically worthless? Yes
You have two cities and two neighbors, each of which founds a religion. You open borders with civ A to increase chances that its religion spreads, since you favor it for some reason. Unfortunately, it is religion B that spreads to one of your cities and, as it often happens early on, to the other one soon after that. “Any decisions made in dealing with [wrong religion spread]? No. Any thought required in dealing with [wrong religion spread]? Still no.” Should religion be deemed strategically worthless because in some conditions its spread can neither be influenced nor planned? Anyway, as stated above, Civ 4 is not pure strategy. Civ 4 is strategy with elements of chance. This is a point where our opinions or rather expectations of the game also differ, but in a way awfully similar to the previous point. My understanding and expectations of Turn Based Strategy seems to be a little bit less literal than yours.
4. There are some absolutely garbage events that can cause an instant loss outright, and some that in the right situation can lead to an instant win.
Is ridiculous. Instead of having one, extremely high-impact but low occurrence event to screw you over, you're talking about LOTS of RNG outcomes, where no single one is that large of an impact.
I have presented fine examples of my (okay fine) *almost* instant win and loss events. Go ahead, show us that "great number" of random calculations that have a similar impact, since you're claiming it multiple times and using it as the basis for an irrelevant argument.
“One, extremely high-impact but low occurrence event”. Hmm, is it? Is it really? One isolated event? Not quite, is it. Earlier in the thread someone explained the mechanics of the random events. Firstly, RNG decides whether the event should be picked for the game at all. Secondly, on each and every turn RNG decides whether any event should be picked on this particular turn at all, or whether the turn should remain eventless. Thirdly, in the case of an “eventful” result of the last roll, RNG decides which of the possible events will be picked on this particular turn. Fourthly, RNG decides which square should be affected (or perhaps which civ). Fifthly, as a result of last roll, RNG is even indirectly responsible for how much of an effect the event will have on the game (you may have 1 ship on the Bermuda triangle site or you could have 3 or your whole fleet there). Note that while point 1 requires a single dice roll, points 2 & 3 do not have such a restriction (and I’m not sure about point 4 and 5). Maybe the Bermuda triangle event is picked on the 1 turn (of step three), maybe on turn 51, maybe never. In summary, the Bermuda triangle event that apparently caused you to lose a game was the result of the combined effect of a number (impossible to know exactly how many) of RNG dice rolls. Forgive me, if I don’t give an alternate example of a number of RNG determined situation that may have a profound effect on the outcome of a game. I believe that anyone can think of a few examples, but you do not have to take my word for it, of course. Another point where we differ in opinion, I suppose. You find a random event that seems instantaneous (but is in fact far from it) infuriating and I simply don’t. Ultimately both situations are the result of a decent number of RNG calculations, that the player has absolutely no control over, so I figure “what’s the difference”.

Point 5 on your initial list is strictly speaking not quite relevant if we discuss events, since it incorporates an external and completely independent factor, namely the HoF system at these forums. Surely HoF is something one cannot possibly blame on the game design. Random events are in all fairness optional. HoF in its current form allows them. There are no obstacles for anyone to create an alternative, HoFeo perhaps (HoF events off). So, with your kind permission, I suggest we strike point 5 off the list as well.

In conclusion, our differences boil down to the “unfair punishment” aspect, to our understanding of the word “strategic” and to our reaction to a seemingly instantaneous chain of random procedures. All of these, I hope you’ll agree, are subjective factors. And in the world of Civ 4 none of them is restricted to the random event feature. These are my reasons for arguing that said feature could very well be present in competitive settings. Personally, I find the vassal state system a much better candidate for banning from competitions. Heck, maybe even the Apostolic Palace win. Very good ideas with significant potential, but badly implemented. Just my two cents.

So, be well, and please consider making a new game video instead of venting frustration on the forums. Methinks it would be beneficial to both of us.

And still on a side note
Spoiler :
Originally Posted by TheMeInTeamSay you have x y or 1 2 3. Possible distributions:

xx
xy
yy

Or

my conclusion was accurate: more random factors = more chances at extreme outliers and less chance of a perfectly balanced outcome
In your example you talk about the “center of the distribution”, also known as the median (you never actually use the term “median”, but I see no other way of interpreting the case, since “center of distribution” is not a statistical term I am aware of). But a median may only exist in a population where the members both have numerical values and are arranged in ascending or descending order. Your population has neither, which is why I permitted myself to call it nonsensical. True, you use digits in part of the example, but 111 is not really one hundred eleven, it is the equivalent of xxx or aaa. Whether “more random factors = more chances at extreme outliers” cannot be determined on the basis of an erroneous example. I have a very strong gut feeling that the opposite is correct, provided you weigh in a probability factor, but cannot be sure and don’t want to put the time in and do the math. Perhaps another member of the forum with nothing to do might indulge us and settle this side issue.

TMIT, I must now say that after playing that Earth Map Challenge on the forums I am now in your corner on this one.

I feel like if I dont get good huts I have to restart. And if my huts are too good I feel like I am cheating.

The tin event can be pretty OP early on. Same with free shock or cover promotions event.

I like random events... even if these are against me... Just because it makes game more realistic and unpredictable.... And its nothing else to do as change strategy little - keep some cash in pocket and some extra worker somewhere for sure... and be happy to get something good too..

TMIT, I must now say that after playing that Earth Map Challenge on the forums I am now in your corner on this one.

I feel like if I dont get good huts I have to restart. And if my huts are too good I feel like I am cheating.

Every game that requires players to reload in order to get better odds is poorly designed. Trust me, it affects gameplay and makes the game more shallow.

Fallout 3 vs Fallout New Vegas demonstrates this well. In the first, speech checks were a percentage that was affected by the speech skill. One could hardly ever assure 100% and since they could just reload if it failed, most players didn't even bother with it. In New Vegas, by contrast, speech now was like a border, below it you'd always fail, above it you'd always succeed. If you maxed it out, you'd never have to worry about it, but gameplay-wise, it was preferable.

I think it shows why RNG in games are never a good thing.

going a bit off topic:

randomized treasure chest drops were annoying in FFXII. It made it so reloading over and over was the only way to get the phat loots. also the fallout speech checks in 3 were the same deal, i'm glad they put in the minimum pass rate in new vegas.

back on topic:

randomness has no place in competitive play. of course there will be the :spear: but minimizing random factors needs to happen to quantify strategy.

What the hell is the bermuda triangle event and these arayn thingys??? Or an event that causes auto war - which is that?

The most exciting ive ever had is some parrots/ prarie dogs for pets or a diplomatic faux pas!!

My events are clearly broken and I demand a refund - lol

the same happens to me, what gives?

any clue?

Every game that requires players to reload in order to get better odds is poorly designed. Trust me, it affects gameplay and makes the game more shallow.

Fallout 3 vs Fallout New Vegas demonstrates this well. In the first, speech checks were a percentage that was affected by the speech skill. One could hardly ever assure 100% and since they could just reload if it failed, most players didn't even bother with it. In New Vegas, by contrast, speech now was like a border, below it you'd always fail, above it you'd always succeed. If you maxed it out, you'd never have to worry about it, but gameplay-wise, it was preferable.

I think it shows why RNG in games are never a good thing.

It's never a good thing, but sometimes it's the lesser of evils. Just how bad random outcomes are depends a lot on the quality of game design itself. RNG is one of the few ways IMO that civ V is actually better than IV; they even took out some of the raw luck factor in battles! That's an impressive accomplishment that the series had never seen prior...although under that model I don't see why they need RNG at all it's still a step up from "low but possible chance to have 2 barb archers kill 2 archers defending a city and capture it".

Top Bottom