Random events v3

Maybe scale the alien landing probability down so that they can only land in/by civilizations that have almost researched everything ( aliens feel themselves thretened ).:king:

Although this radnom event could go a little to far ...

Noticed a bug - the tile pop event will not allow you to gain control of the tile when the associated city is conquered. I had a tile in the middle of my civ remain under Arabia's control after I took out all their cities on my continent. Also read here that a City-State remained allies with a Civ after it was eliminated except for that tile.

I am so so happy to see random events back in the game....adds spice to the game.

I personally think Firaxis' explanations were pretty weak as to why they removed events....basically something like, when something bad happens people get pissed but when good things happen people take in pride in something they didn't earn.....

Well, I think the game is about having fun and so the positive events should have stayed in without a doubt! On the other hand, I must admit that I used to get really pissed off when a tornado would take out two or three buildings in a city with little production. I also admit that I used to go into cheat mode and put those same buildings right back in that damn city!!!

So, my point is this, because cheating isn't an option now (as far as I know) and because I never liked cheating anyways, would it be possible to have an option to turn off negative events? Or at least set it up so that negative events are triggered more as a balancing mechanism so that bad things happen less for those who can't afford such an event?

just curious....

Loving this!
And i totally agree on the asteroid / supervolcano (or just ANY volcano) suggestions.

Well, basically any random events that affect the terrain, DO WANT :)
Volvanoes (could maybe be tied to the krakatoa tile?) that spawn tundra 1 tiles around them, with a random chance for an additional tile (so it looks somewhat asymmetrical).
Why tundra? Because it looks kinda gray like fresh solidified lava, and has the same kinda properties (low food, desolate, but useful to farm on etc).

Asteroids that spawn 1 hill in the middle (as the "rebound" of the soil), with 1 tile flatlands, then 1 tile of hills around that. Or just use the barringer crater tile, looks so good so why not :)
It'd be cool if the asteroids could change the terrain though, maybe flood an area if it hits land, while the volcano event could create land when it happens in the ocean.

That way you'd have 2 events that kinda make up for eachother, one makes more water, one makes more land.

And another idea i just got, a sort of coral reef event, or algae blooming, idc what you call it LOL, that adds more shallow water to potentially create new 3 tile length shallow-water "bridges" between very nearby continents, for instance if a continent is 1-3 deep ocean tiles away, this would create shallow water between them, opening up new possibilities in the earlygame or lategame (ironclads).

edit: i must admit, the earthquake event is dumb.... i just started a new game and the second i had surrounded my capital with 3 farms, the earthquake triggered and all the work was for nothing.
I mean, i love random events, but when they are so severe that they cripple your entire empire, thats just pointless.
In regards to the above suggestions, i think earthquakes should be like the suggested asteroid / volcanoes, random low chance of happening at a random place in the world globally, NOT centered around one of your cities (earthquake magnets?).

The main issue is that having 6 improvements destroyed, even in the late game, is just not fun. Its so tedious to rebuild all those improvements, in pure gameplay boredom.
Even just repairing 6 improvements is tedious enough, imo such an earthquake should only affect 1 improvement, that way if you have bad luck it doesnt completely negate all the other good work you've done up til that point. (or cripple the AI due to a bad dice roll)
If anyone could tell me what to edit to remove the earthquake event, i'd be grateful :)

It works with March's patch (latest version of Civ 5) as of 3/15/2011. I played a game with the mod enabled and saw a random production event appear saying production was completed ahead of schedule so it works. I saw another event about a forest/shrub fire near one of my cities. My question is that I love random natural disasters (not real life like in Japan) but in games. With the natural random events in this mod like forest fires, forest growth and a Tsunami occuring, will you see these events happen graphically on your map like in the Total War games? I didn't see the forest - shrub fire on my game map just a notification box that came up letting me know it happened?

How about a event that turns a normal tile to a natural wonder?

Also a disaster should have a chance to only get the affected improvements pillaged, but not remove them entirely. It is more realistic and easier for the player to rebuild the improvements.

How about a event that turns a normal tile to a natural wonder?

Also a disaster should have a chance to only get the affected improvements pillaged, but not remove them entirely. It is more realistic and easier for the player to rebuild the improvements.

This thread is dead but work has been continued here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=421342

As for your first question I think it already exists in the mod from the above mentioned thread.

As for your second question it would propably be rather easy BUT to stay true to the concept I guess you'd have to check if that natural wonder is present on the map so it doesn't appear twice.

\Skodkim

Nutty is correct. The mod was discontinued and unfortunately I have no idea if it Works any more.

\Skodkim

Top Bottom