[BTS] Randomnius of the Mighty Randoms (Monarch)

You have chosen Random script, right? That type of map can give you anything, including archipalego, unless you have excluded certain map types in the last lines of the map setting fraction.

The brave scout moves clockwise, uncovering no less than 7 sources of ivory. That's a lot of trunk, as my dear wife remarked when she saw.

The scout beats off a lion, and spends some time healing.

The city is building a warrior.

Research: Bronze Working.

The scout is done farming the corn. What should his next move be? Farming the grassland, mining the sheep, or perhaps start a road towards the next city location?

(And still no sign of the AI)

Spoiler The world :
Civ4BeyondSword_2019-11-06_15-31-40.png

This could well be an isolated to semi isolated start. You are at the top end of the map. So the AI has to come from East or West.

Looks liek you have found 2 lots of coast on the east.

Do you build settler at size 2 or 3? Or whip? With imperialist you could 2 pop whip with 10 hammers invested. Of course you have to reach size 4 first. That or 1 pop whip at size 2 with 55 hammers invested. With 1 chop you would need 55H overall.

You only have 1 food resource here.

Is it better to grow and run 3-4 mines. Then use cap as a settler pump.

If isolated you need to consider strategy here. Early optics? New warrior can scout out the cow site. I think better for the other to hug the coastline. Not sure how much further north the map will allow.

Build one warrior, send him scouting to the East. Ocean.
As Gumbolt writes, there seems to be Ocean to the South and East, tundra and mountains to the North, perhaps a single good city site to the NorthEast, and some poor land to the West, which does, however, have an abundance of cows and elephants.
I send the scout looping North around the mountains, where he is promptly beset by a wolf. I need some military, and would like to grow Sheepy Pillow, so the next build is an additional warrior.

Bronze working is in, I have copper nearby.

Now is, indeed, the time to consider the long-term strategy. Smashing someone with elephants would have been fun, but there do not seem to be anyone to smash. On the other hand, I will be facing barbs very soon. Axes should be able to deal with them, so I am considering going towards Literacy and building some wonders. There are quite a few good, and I have marble, and plenty of forests and hills. After that, Optics, which The Great Library should help with.

Short term, however, I think the optimum course is to grow the city to size 4 (3 turns), then building a settler and settling the Marble/Clams/Copper site (South of the marble tile). After the settler, I tend towards a worker, then a couple of axes, and finally a second settler Techwise, I need The Wheel to hook up the copper, and Fishing to feed the new city (Where?)

Thoughts?

Spoiler The World as yet scouted :
Civ4BeyondSword_2019-11-07_20-55-40.png

Spoiler The land to the West :
Civ4BeyondSword_2019-11-07_20-57-04.jpg

Holy crap that's a lot of Ivory. I had to rub my eyes to check if I'm really seeing that.

I think growing past size 2 now means you might as well whip the settler at size 4.

I would be chopping instead of farming here. Chops into settler till size 4. Then whip settler with 40H invested.

I would fogbust the copper site. You needed warrior to investigate the cow site. If you don't settle cow site you would need fishing. Where do you plan to settle?

If you are truly isolated going lit route won't help much. You want optics. Which means you need MC/Machinery. Is oracle possible here? You have no big commerce resources. Albeit fail gold could be a useful source of gold here.

Judging from map so far I would not expect to find any site with more than 1 food resource.

Your capital could be a good production city. 10 cottages vs 7 mines.

Yeah, I will be growing the capital to size 4. Only 3 turns, and this also gives me a second warrior to scout the NE cow.
The worker definitely should chop, but bronze working is only just in.

I will put off deciding between lit and optics until Fishing and The Wheel is done. I need both anyhow.

Whip, chop, dodge animals...

The first settler founds the marble/clams/copper city. It starts producing a worker.

I try scouting the NE cow, but the animals make it hard. It seems like dry grassland, though there is a copper tile.

Where should I place the third city? I lean towards the plains tile at the river bend. That will give a floodplains tile, a wet grassland tile, a plains cow, and 5(!) ivory tiles.
There might also be a river to the NE. Is that a delta in the forest?

Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword_2019-11-09_12-46-46.png

What should my worker do next? I lean towards connecting the two cities. then hooking up the copper.

Spoiler Third city? :
Civ4BeyondSword_2019-11-09_12-38-47.jpg

Save?

Why are both cities size 1?

Not fond of that red dot city. Only 2-3 food neutral tiles. Farms plains are not great.

Pends what your plan foir your capital is? Production vs cottages.

City near fish or cow/sheep could be more interesting. That or a helper city. The land here is food poor.

There are no 2 food tiles in the first ring of Copperville, so I decided to sink hammers into a worker until the border pops. Then working the clams, while building a workboat, whipping it at pop 2, then using overflow for the worker. Was that a mistake?

Sheepy Pillow is pop 1 due to 2 settler whips.

Regarding city placement, we need more intel, so I move the settler into the forest to the North of Sheep Pillow, getting him closer to both the copper/cow site to the NE, and the red dot site. Then I take another turn.

Good move, I think. My warrior dodges a lion to reveal what seems like a lake, making the NE cow/copper site much more viable.
My scout runs away from another lion, and reveals the Western coast.

So, I think we can assume that I am isolated or semi-isolated.

I cannot make up my mind whether to make the capital a production powerhouse, or use cottages and windmills to make a lot of money. Both are good options. Thoughts?

And what about the third city? There shall definitely be a city near the fish to the SE, but my gut feeling is to wait for later. Generally, I want my first cities to claim land, which Fishy City will not.
Red Dot is not food rich, but can just manage to work all the elephants, the floodplain, 2 grassland and the cow, for 18 production and 14 gold base, if I have counted right. That is not too bad.
NE Cow-copper is not food rich either. Even if sharing the sheep. There should definitely be a city there, but where, and should it be made now?

Save attached

Spoiler The world :
Civ4BeyondSword_2019-11-12_19-02-51.jpg

Spoiler Suggested city sites :
Preliminary dotmap.png

Spoiler Is that a lake in the forest? :
Civ4BeyondSword_2019-11-12_19-07-33.jpg

Attachments

• Randomnius BC-2680.CivBeyondSwordSave
    83.9 KB · Views: 98
Top Bottom