Ranged AI naval units should be able to capture cities.

Theruss

Warlord
Ranged AI naval units should be able to capture cities just to make the AI's stronger on water maps. I often see the AI with tons of ranged naval units and just endlessly bombard a coastal city but not capture it, because for some reason the AI did not bring a melee naval unit...

That would make melee naval units even more useless. It is OK the way it is. Just because the AI has issues using the units properly it doesn't mean the units should change. The AI needs to improve.

Besides, the issue you mentioned saved my cities from being taken a few times. I even won a game because of that once when the AI playing as Rome failed to capture my Capital and I destroyed his whole navy and got a domination victory later. :crazyeye:

Never bring a sword to a gunfight and never forget to bring a sword to a naval gunfight? Not sure if it makes any sense...

Anyway, if I were to change anything about naval combat, I would eliminate +1 range promotion. It feels like cheating with frigates...

I'd support this, and with AI archers too. On land it's all too easy to bust Attila's rams and then watch as his 20 HAs mill about awaiting their doom.

I'm not saying the AI is not dumb or that it doesn't need to be smarter; this is the definition of a band-aid fix, but I'd rather take the band-aid than bleed to death while awaiting the paramedics (who may never come, having other duties such as shining their cars, ahem), know what I'm sayin'? ;)

Of course then people would complain 'why can't humans do it? AI is CHEATING!!1', but hey, nothing's perfect.

The AI cheats anyway on difficulties above Prince difficulty, so why not do a band-aid fix? At least on land, the AI does tend to bring melee units.

It's a pretty agreeable statement to say that the AI is definitely gimped on water maps, and perhaps this band-aid can somewhat make water maps more interesting.

Perhaps the melee naval unit was out of range. I've seen the AI pummel my cities with frigates and I'm fooled into thinking "no melee units" then bam an iron clad takes my city.

Although I'd admit the AI isn't very good at tactics.

I think it'd anger more people than it would please to give AI units special abilities. People already don't like how AI can capture and delete workers on the same turn, I'm pretty sure ranged ships taking cities wouldn't get a positive reaction.

You could try and mod it so ranged ships have a melee attack and not use it yourself. Might run into AI doing dumb things with their ships though.

Anyway, if I were to change anything about naval combat, I would eliminate +1 range promotion. It feels like cheating with frigates...

Sadly, I must agree. On land: 3-5 artillery with the Logistics, Indirect Fire and range promotions with a couple of infantry to capture weakened cities or act as a screen as appropriate. At sea, 3-5 frigates with the range promotion and a couple of melee ships to mop up. There is very little the AI can do to stop you capturing any city you please once you have reached this point, other than envelop and destroy your fleet (which, to be fair, has happened to me a couple of times. Bloody Carthage).

Sorry I don't agree, although I see what you're getting at. I think Range promotion on any ranged unit is powerful but the counter-measure is surely the same as on land - close with strong melee units, a couple of privateers, for instance; and there's no terrain BS on the water and no fortifying/healing. Seems to me that badly wounded ships tend to go away to heal, not carry on firing. Unless they plan to make a movie...

However, Logistics - now that is seriously OP and makes naval combat a doddle once your ships get it (especially with extra movement from England's UA).

I agree more with the poster who said that it's not the units that need changing, just the AI needs to use them better; but at higher difficulties the AI brings lots of units to the party...

Top Bottom