Rat 40 - Introduction to CCM

At home:

The road west:

excellent trading :goodjob:

I found that you don't really need the Glib with so many potential contacts. I got it and will play 10 turns unless Greebley wants to take it.

We need some more players though, 1-2 would really be nice.

Ok, I was thinking a little bit into longer term, about governments. We have the choice of theocracy, monarchy and republic. Do take the time to read up on them.

The highlights for me are

Theo and mon have no WW. Theo has a nice science boost building that serves as barracks too. However, this all gets obsolete with steel (much later). Worse though, theocracy has a tile penalty just like despotism.
Monarchy gets some castles (75% defense and rax) later on in the early middle Ages, but it does not come with tile penalty.

Republic has WW and barracks are very difficult to come by. We would have to rely on the capital, worker house and other small wonders to give us raxes (e.g the mathematics enabled wonder for catapults, the siege workshop)

I am not really sure which government to go for.

As for military techs, we should try and get riding as soon as possible as we can build cheap elephants. These monsters are great for warfare due to double attack and an extra hit point. We don't even need ivory for that (btw ivory is not a lux in this game). Together with autoproduced enslavers and chariots, we should be able to build a first powerful strike force to go after nearby Japan.

I have to mention this. Thanks to Rat's handle, the little Google ad at the top right is offering me vermin-control services. :rotfl:

I got pack rat storage.

In any case I successfully loaded the game. Do you want me to go next? Not that I know what I am doing. Maybe you should take it. :D

I think we can rule out republic. We have too much military work to do, and WW would be a particular problem when we can't have armies or normal Civ III bombardment units, so that even the best-conducted offensives will involve meaningful casualties.

I haven't played this mod enough to have a confident opinion on monarchy versus theocracy. I incline towards monarchy, because the tile penalty would reduce the value of our cluster of silks tiles, but if Rat sees reasons why theocracy would be better, that's fine.

I agree with monarchy, NP. I dislike the tile penalty, though the special building for theocracy is quite nice.

Let's try monarchy. By the way, a revolt under CCM is only 2 turns, but you will lose pop for each turn anarchy and starve in the worst case.

Greebley, you can go ahead and play 15 turns if you want as this is still early.

By the way, does Japan have WC? I am asking because this means the potential of enslavers sneaking up to us.

edit: Duh, I re-read the turnlog and of course Japan has WC. So, please do watch out for enslavers. Every town should sooner or later get s spear for defense. I would build a few once slaver's hut is done

@vxma

You said one of the reasons to not take part in a SG is the slow response. I am sure with this team, that won't happen.

Not sure how much I remember about CCM as I have not played since 1.2 and you know how conservative I play. If you need a player I can dust off my civ clothes. No armies is heartbreaking, not sure I know how to play without them. :D

At least the early version you could get in some damage with enslavement units, but that will be much less likely in 1.4 at DG and 31 civs.

Anyway for sure I will jump in on you guys games, if you need a body. I decide to not go back to work and stay retired, so I have time.

Great. :cool: Conservative is good, when only Rat knows this mod well. :lol:

great vxma :goodjob:

Roster
Northern Pike
Greebley - up
vxma - on deck
ThERat

By the way, I still find early prophets and enslavers can do some limited damage, but for a proper fight, you still have to declare war. I mainly use enslavers to get some slaves early on.
For the rest, we need 3 temples to get access to our Indo-China buildings.

As for monarchy, I checked and we get access to castle's pretty early too before the end of the AA, however, those get obsolete at Mil Tradition. However, there are barracks as well available. We might consider a switch to communism later on.

Preturn: Looks good

IBT: Hanoi get border expansion. Koreans are building the Temple of Baalbek

2950 BC: Settler and Warrior head off toward NP's spot.
We have to raise the Lux rate.

IBT: Japan is building the Temple of Artemis.

2900 BC: Not much.

2850 BC: Almost to spot with Settler.

2800 BC: Korea has Elephant and we don't
Spain will give us Wine and 12 gold for Polytheism. Lux lowered.
We now have tech parity with everyone but Portugal who is behind.
Finish Slavers hut. We are now building 2 Spear in 3 and 4.

2750 BC: Found Saigon and start National Symbol.

2700 BC: Now all known civs have the exact same techs.

IBT: Colossus finished.

2660 BC: Build Spear and use Warrior to cover Worker. I am thinking 4 Spear, one for each town and the settler we will produce.
Lux rate up again.

2620 BC: Build another Spear. Other Worker is protected by Warrior.

2580 BC: Finish National Symbol in Saigon and start Slavery. That can be switched.

IBT: Statue of Zeus Finished.

2540 BC: Might be fun to build a wonder but with 100 shield wonders completing I feel it is too late for that. So after finishing a Spear in Hanoi, I start Slavery (which can be switched).

2500 BC: Not much

2460 BC: Finish final Spear and start Slavery in the Capitol. Upgrade Apprentice.

IBT: Hebrew city completes Stonehenge. See Indian Spear.

2420 BC: India and Japan have Writing and the Wheel. We are still two turns away from the Wheel.

2380 BC: We get an enslaver.

IBT: We get the Wheel, I assume Riding is next for the Elephants, though I think Silk road wonder (trading) sounds tempting too since we have the silk.

2340 BC: Not much

IBT: The Arabs have been destroyed.
Koreans get Temple of Baalbek (they are on our continent), and Dutch get Temple of Artemis.

2300 BC:

Notes:
We have Slavery in 2 for our biggest towns.
Sent our Enslaver out.
We are equal or behind in tech (by writing)

Looking good.

I feel we should build a boat or two for exploration in Hanoi once slavery is done. I would also explore our immediate north a little so we can find a good spot for our 4th city.
The south looks like a huge mountain range. Many units cannot cross mountains unless they are roaded.

For you guys, be careful with the enslaver in AI land as workers and settlers reveal them and the AI would attack them.

And as Civinator mentioned before, we do NOT need ivory to build elephants. They are a cheap 40 shield 3/2/2 blitz unit with 6 hit points max. Very nice for an early war against juicy looking Japan.

I need to check on the units in the game at this time and see if any have 2 moves. Workers can see enslaver, so we should not have to sit on them, only be close by. I am not so sure a warrior would do the job anyway.

Should get to this this afternoon and post. Korea gone already, how there were not very close to us. Don't need a fired up AI in GA nearby.

vmxa, please do look at MM, our capital can work a 3 commerce 2 food tile instead of a mere 2 food tile and Saigon a 2/1/1 instead of 2/0/1 tile

oh, and one more thing, I would change our capitals slavery to royal stables, we need those free chariots as soon as possible

Top Bottom