Rat 40 - Introduction to CCM

I'll say it again: we have to pay attention to the northern islands. The Persians have three cities there now, and the Greeks one. We need to take these towns simultaneously with the last mainland cities, not later, or we'll waste many turns just sitting around watching for flips.

I have not looked at the save yet, but I am big anti MPP guy. The thing I would want to know is how strong are those nations we signed up? I am always feaful that all you do with MPP for self protection is make the guy you are worried about stronger.

IOW if France and the others mak little progress, all is well. If however, one rolls on the other all we do is make it harder later. I am not the least bit concern about France jumping us as invasions are not going to work for the AI.

Looking at the gamespeed, I´m wondering, if the normally produced settlers for "filler-cities" (and these "filler-cities") are really needed.

To me a filler town is not the same as a combat settler. A combat settler is where you capture a town and run in a settler to replace the town as you abandon it. It may even be on a different tile.

It has two functions 1) reduce flip 2) advance reach of troops.

Filler towns are settled to fill border gaps and/or to boost unit support. In some cases I put down a town to mainly expand the area under our eyes. IOW so we could see the tiles and not put up a tower and to gain roads or place roads.

This was the case in the area the Rome had towns and troops moving around. In other spots to cover the coast, so any landing could be repelled. If they are our land we can take action, if no one owns those tiles we can only declare or block.

If they land on our land, they had a reason. If they land on open land with a settler, what now? Best to not have any open land on your continent.

Thanks for the explanation vmxa. :)

BTW.: CCM betatest v1.5 is ready for download.

Yeah, I have it. Problem is I am running this and the CoMM mod. Will have to wait, till Rat40 is done to actually use it. Too lazy to make directories for both 1.4 and 1.5. Plus CoMM has me wanting to fire up MM7 again.

I also have LOD in act iv Hell to finish. Already for Diablo and his Oblivion Knights.

I have not looked at the save yet, but I am big anti MPP guy. The thing I would want to know is how strong are those nations we signed up? I am always fearful that all you do with MPP for self protection is make the guy you are worried about stronger.

IOW if France and the others mak little progress, all is well. If however, one rolls on the other all we do is make it harder later. I am not the least bit concern about France jumping us as invasions are not going to work for the AI.
I agree completely about MPP's not usually being a good move. I saw the Israel MPP as an opportunity to slow both France and Israel down.
1. They are direct neighbors
2. They are evenly matched.
3. They are equal is science and the 2nd place science leaders behind us.

The Greek MPP was to draw fire from us since we are at war with both Persia and Italy. Greece is on the opposite side of the continent and both Italy and Persia now have E and W borders to protect. Greece only has a W border and we have a E and N border.

I'll say it again: we have to pay attention to the northern islands. The Persians have three cities there now, and the Greeks one. We need to take these towns simultaneously with the last mainland cities, not later, or we'll waste many turns just sitting around watching for flips.
I should have sent some units there but our hands are full right now. Once the initial barrage is over we can probably afford some units diverted up there. I don't think the flip risk is that high though. There are only 1-2 resistors on capture and after that are pacified.

I'm not principally concerned with whether we have ground units in the Spanish ports, since as you imply they can be built anywhere and railed in immediately. But there's no equivalent to rails for naval units, whose production and movement have to be planned many turns in advance. In this case that means rushing up a substantial fleet in Spain. Anyway, there's still time.

You're right that our cultural strength reduces the risk of flips, but some of the Persian cities are very large; and since we're certainly going to eliminate the Persians, we might as well do it with precise technique and no wasted time.

I have played 4 turns so far, Rome would be eliminated if not for a missing settler. I cannot take the last town as the game would crash (had to actually reload).

I have sent a fleet of 4 transports over to take the Island cities and they should reach about the time we can eliminate Persia. Have taken their capital with high losses, but production is stellar right now.

I also have stolen fascism from Israel but it cost us 8k as I needed 2 attempts. They did not have any other tech on us.

Game is fun right now, but tech choices are nil, we are following a straight path right now.

Game is fun right now
I felt the same except for the 296 workers. I started merging some of the Asian workers. The others don't merge in, they simply disappear. Glad to hear the dual war is not too bad. I was a bit worried about going against 1900's. Those Hotchkisses have great long legs, don't they?

I would say just park some of them, if it is too much work, rather than merge them. Some places that are small could take a merge, but the bigger ones don't really have tiles left to work.

We have a whole continent to work as well as a lot of towns not fully improved. We have a nice shuttle set up to send workers across.

I am at turn 8 now, finishing tonight.

I managed to capture all cities from Persia and Rome on the second continent at this turn. Persia still has two cities left in the north (we just took the third there). Rome has another city in the ice fields of the third continent.

Questions now:
I am sure we all agree to take out Persia for good (hopefully no roaming settlers left for them)
Should we make peace with Rome once the deal with Greece is up?

We still have 7 turns of MPP with Greece, after which we can take them out at our leisure.

The questions now is, where shall we continue with our warfare. I am surely trying to establish some nice naval bases at the east coast of the second continent but shipping will take quite some time.

On the Northern Island there are some Israeli cities and they got a ton of money (more than 120k). I did not trade much anymore. They are also most advanced together with France. Should we try and take those cities before heading mainland?

Maybe we can make the decisions after my 10 turns, I will try and prepare as much as possible for the next invasion.

By the way, I have almost completed the worker jobs on our home continent. Sent a bunch over to the second and parked some near our capital.

I'd only make peace with Rome if we can dismiss completely any risk of our Roman cities flipping. Possibly our culture is that strong. But otherwise we should retain our freedom to re-take flipped towns.

For me the first question about our landing on the third continent is, will we need to control coal there to build rails, or can we rush an airport and bring it in that way? If we need local coal, we should choose a landing site with that in mind.

I'd rather start a war against Israel/France/whoever with a blow against their core than with island operations. Also, it'll be easier to get our invasion convoy to the third continent if we aren't at war with our target as it approaches.

Good input.

In fact we will need coal and iron for RR. I will check the map tonight for a possible best landing site. I am not too sure whether airports will help with trade.

I have realized though that we now have all luxes on our second continent as well and I don't quite understand how that is possible...anyone knows?

At the beginning of your round our second-continent cities had only their local luxuries. So might one of the techs we've discovered recently have changed something?

If we will need local coal and iron on the third continent, Viking Orebro on the central west coast has both, although landing there would commit us to fighting our way out of a very hilly beachhead.

I saw we had a lot of lux there, so I do not know how they had access. We did not have airports or airfields. It may be hard to find a spot that gives coal and iron quickly. I think we will have some time though, as workers will not be out and about right away.

Three move units makes it harder to protect them, so we will need a buffer or a stack to cover. No armies to sit on them.

I am thinking it would actually be easier to start to conquest from our west coast as we do not need to ship them via the second continent.

A major undertaking anyway.

Maybe Civinator can answer the question why suddenly all luxes are available on the second continent.

I am thinking it would actually be easier to start to conquest from our west coast as we do not need to ship them via the second continent.
I was thinking the same thing, that's why I started sending the 4 steamers to west Korea. I was liking that method of getting over. The question of luxes is a good one. Hope we get clarification so we can set it up on the final continent.

A major undertaking anyway.

Maybe Civinator can answer the question why suddenly all luxes are available on the second continent.

1. In CCM Airports don´t have airtrade. So they don´t help in importing luxury and strategic resources.

2. The palaces in CCM have the airtrade-flag (that´s why I used a new symbol for them showing columns of money - in normal Civ 3 this would be the plane-symbol from the airport, that is fixed to the airtrade option, not the produce veteran planes option).

That´s the reason, why in CCM you can have trade between civs when you discover them and not only when you have constructed a road to their capital.

I haven´t seen a screenshot about the current situation at the second continent, but it seems you are in peace with at least one civ on that continent and you have a road-connection to the capital of that civ, so the airtrade-function of the palace of that civ gives a connection to the palace of your civ on the first continent and therefore to your capital. Please don´t say, that trade is more complicated in CCM than in normal Civ 3, as trade in CCM is only a reduced form of of the trade in standard Civ 3 - but most civers are not aware how airtrade really works, as they mostly soon have a lot of airports with airtrade function and don´t recognize that function. :)

3. In CCM betatest version 1.5 there is a small wonder for each strategic resource that is needed for the space race victory (and of course for the modern units and railway), that needs that resource in city radius. So it is assured, that your maincontinent can have all strategic resources that are needed to construct modern units and to launch the space race victory.

For other continents and islands, that are not directly linked to your palace via one of that SWs (that are not available in your current game with version 1.4), you have to be in peace with a civ that has a capital on that continent and have a road connection to that capital on that continent or a sea connection via coastal waters(may be combined with a road connection).

Top Bottom