Rat 40 - Introduction to CCM

Ok, so if I understand that correctly, this means that once we take out Greece (the last Civ on that second continent), we will lose the resource connection.

If we get airports up on the second continent, we will once again have all resources available there?

If my assumptions are correct, it would be better to wait to take out Greece until we get the ability to build airports.

Not a big problem anyway.

Civinator, you have explained that in the past, but I keep forgetting. ThERat, I think you are correct.

Thanks for the full explanation. :goodjob: We must have a supply line through Athens, since we're a peace with the Greeks. When we conquer them, we'll presumably revert to having local resources only on the second continent.

So we could, for example, attack the French capital region and bring resources in through Berlin by staying at peace with Germany, but it would obviously be awkward and the conclusion remains that we'll want to seize our own coal and iron as soon as possible.

I don't think anyone has commented on this, but it's hilarious where the program put the Germans and the French to start. Berlin and Paris are in each other's radii. :rotfl:

Edit: Cross-post with Rat and Vmxa (or rather their posts were on the next page and I just didn't see them ;)). Civinator is clearly saying that airports do not permit air trade. No friendly capitals on another landmass, no way to get resources there from the homeland, period.

Yes I still miss read it. No airtrade flag for airports. All they do is make vets and upgrades and heal air units. I think this needs to be changed. A vehicle should exist so you can get you resources from other lands, without another nation.

It could come late in the tree, but it needs to be in the game. Again, let's not worry about players not liking turn times. You are going to have them anyway.

Pre-Turn
MM a little, replace those taxmen with scientists, money is never an issue anyway
Osaka gets one policeman and can now make 1 turn tanks
I will also try and get more mines up as some cities have too much food

and as NP mentioned several times, we need some forces up north to take those Persian cities
after MM, we can decrease science to 50% and make 1400gpt

lose a hotchkiss, but defeat phant with lawyer to gain an artist
use some units to defeat a Roman stack of 8

IT There are hordes of enemy units from Persia and Rome, we lose the covered artist
overall we lose 2 units only though
I start a lot more heavy coastal batteries. They are cheap and auto produce coastal defense that can be upgraded later on
to a mobile unit that's very useful for defense

1. 1807AD
Before we can think of an attack, we need to clear the enemy unit first
defeat 23 Roman units, get no artist though
clear 15 Persian unit

we can advance some now
defeat 2 muskets and take Padova
there are quite a few Roman units around there and we need to clear them first
defeat 26 units, lose two kisses all together

decide to break Roman's neck and take Rome after taking out 6 units losing one kiss
found one city one that continent

start to mine our cities that have maxed out anyway

I also spot that Israel has fascism already, we can steal it when there is the need for it

IT France wants to talk, nah
Persia and Maya sign a MPP, so we will soon be at war with them
Mongols declare on Persia

lose an exposed tank with some workers :(
capital gets ITC

2. 1808AD
defeat 2 units and take Turin
clear 13 units and get a MGL to rush a court
defeat 4 units and we take Bologna, culture bomb it as this gives us best benefit

defeat 14 Persians and get another 2 MGL

set up attack on 2 Roman towns, they will fall shortly I guess
start to send a convoy to Perians northern Islands

IT Maya declares war on Greece
we get ironclads, go for dreadnoughts first

3. 1809AD
take Pisa then Naples, Genoa, all without any loss
ugh, then attacking Argos, lose 2 kisses and one early tank
Rome has only 1 city left which we can take next turn

get an artist taking some stray units and use it on Argos to protect us from Persian counters

fight several Persian that made it south
get an artist in the north fighting a cannon

time to attack the capital. of course this triggers a war with Maya
it's a bloody battle and we lose 9 hotchkisses but take the capital held by 7 units
the city comes with a rax :)

setup for bigger attacks next turn

decide to try and go for another tech via steal, costs us 8000gold in the end but we get fascism,
Israel doesn't have any other tech over us

IT nothing really happens, Persia runs north with their units and attacks a stack near Arbela

4. 1810AD
we take Florence and Rome is not gone, this would cause the critical crash
so, I reload and leave the city alone, we need to track down their last settler, how annoying
painfully remove the remaining Roman units.

defeat 6 units in Pasergadea and take the town losing one tank and one hotch
defeat 2 infantry and take Sardis, we split the Persian empire into 2 now
lose a tank and hotch and take Arbela

in the southern part, take Salzburg for the loss of 2 hotches
set up attacks on two new cities including Antioch

IT Inca and Greece sign peace
Nubia and Turkey sign peace
Persia manages to defeat 3 of our units and then in the end Greece declares war on Inca again

5. 1811AD
clear some Persian units first, manage to get an artist that culture bombs Pasegadea
get a MGL as well, lose 4 hotches but take Sidon
the terrain from here on gets rough and infantry on hills ain't nice to fight
lose 4 more hotches but take hilly Gordium
for a change lose a mere hotch and take Antioch with the Blue Riband :)

defeat a Persian convoy
ship quite a few workers over as we have completed the mining process

IT Persia looks a little gassed but manages to take out an infantry, Maya declares on Israel
the IT is actually pretty fast
we lose spices

6. 1812AD
get spices from Mongols for a minor tech (free artistry)
lose 2 tanks but take Ergili, Tyre falls without losses, tanks are good
this gains backdoor access to the new Persian capital Bactra
lose 1 hotch and take the city

gain access to the northernmost city to take next turn
turn south again, lose 4 hotches but we take Prague, which will give us nice access to the south
get an artists clearing units around and bomb the city
take Linz south of it, get another artist and bomb Linz

Persia now has 6 cities left on this continent
clear some more units, ship over more workers

reduce science

IT Persia panics with their units
Greece has some annoying units in our land
we get dreadnoughts, next torpedo

7. 1813AD
land units next to 2 Persian cities way north on that Island
spot a Roman cog there, maybe that's the settler cog we are looking for
since we got more than 10k again, start to upgrade some frigates to ironclads for 120g each

take Hamadan in the north of the continent
clear the annoying units around an gain an artist

take Belgrade and gain a MGL, bomb it so we can gain faster access to the last city
RR and easily take Vienna, same thing to take Usti
the hardest nut is Innsbruck where we lose 3 units
only Budapest remains now
clear some units and lose an ueber cool animated flame thrower :cool:

IT Persia and Greek actually fight some as well as on the Northern island, Israel and Persia
we lose an infantry there though to a cannon

8. 1814AD
locate the cog, sink it and again take Florence and am again not right
Greece has suddenly another city, must find where it is

spot that city on the other big continent in the ice

manage to take Zohak in the north but fail with Istahkhr
take Budapest and on the second continent there is only us and Greece left

need to clear some leftover units there, gain two artists that we send back for the new conquest

after the discussion I think it is best to sail west and I spot iron and coal in the Incan empire
the area around Carthage (it takes 6 turns to cross from here)
start to rush stuff there , stack units for transport there as well

IT Greece and France sign peace
Mongols declare war on Maya, we lose furs

9. 1815AD
get them back from Egypt for free artistry
drop units next to the final 2 Persian cities, rush a worker at Zohak so we could aur lift units
shift a lot of planes over to help us defeat Persia

found 2 cities on the second continent, prepare for another one
assemble units at Carthage

IT France declares war on Greece, Mogols declare on Inca
Persia goes 1:1 against us from their towns

10. 1816AD
bombard both cities, take off a mere 3 hps, lose 2 tanks but take Ghulaman
take Istakhr without losses and ...Persia is still alive...guess it must be that ocean liner near the new continent
need to reload, rush 3 ironclads to get rid of them next turn hopefully

get an artist defeating a Greek cavalry and bomb Haiphong next to Greece
since we have an airfield north, build 2 in the south of our continent
found another city on the other continent

Attachments

• Rat40-1816AD.SAV
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
The situation:

Passageway to 3rd continent
We need 5 turns with our convoy to reach the other continent from Carthage. The location I indicated is ideal as there is iron and coal. We should try and make peace with France before landing to minimize casualties. We should try and get out of the MPP's that are due in 5 turns.

Below a picture of the Carthage area. I have assembled the units we produce. We currently have 5 transports and a few more nearing + another 5 rushed this turn. I'd say we can start with around 50+ units to get over. We can land on hilly land, bring some workers along for an airfield. tanks can't be airlifted but the rest can and we can then knock the Inca out with our superior production.

Persia:
The last city is on the northern Island, we have plenty of units around. However, there is a ocean liner that we need to take out. I rushed 3 ironclads for that, hope it's enough to take care of it.

2nd continent:
Below a picture of what's left of the second continent. Greece is small and no issue for us once the deal expires in 5 turns

Research:
We are 1 turn from torpedoes, the research is straight forward for the next 5 techs as there is no branching out

torpedoes -> submarines -> Great war -> Mass production -> WW2 ships -> Blitzkrieg

An important 800shield that is coming up is Hoover

Northern Pike - up
Greebley
vmxa
barbslinger
ThERat

By the way, I wouldn't use all our money to rush stuff, we need to be able to upgrade stuff as well

Great work! A shame about the reload issue, it has to be exasperating. After France and Israel it kinda looks downhill from there. There are some better units coming so I agree on the money for upgrades. I spent a bundle upgrading Hussars and Cavs. Were Israel and France still at war? Is one dominating the other?

I think it is a lost cause on the taxmen. The gov seems to put them up after I switched them over and over again.

Even if we cannot take down the last town, we can beat it to near death, while we wait. So they do not have much to send out and cannot make stuff to easily.

Fine progress. :thumbsup:

take Istakhr without losses and ...Persia is still alive...guess it must be that ocean liner near the new continent

To clarify, this liner is not visible in itself, but is stacked under a steam frigate five tiles west of Lisbon.

Once we've landed our convoy in the Inca lands, we'll want to deploy the ships as a full ship chain leading back to Carthage, I assume.

By Murphy's Law, I'm once again up here while I'm still working on a long round in GR29. So, Greebley, if today and tomorrow would be good times for you to play, you're welcome to jump ahead of me. If not, I'll just get started on this one a little late.

Edit: Rat's suggested landing force of fifty units seems a little light. With another round of steamer rushes, and considering how many of our towns produce a unit a turn now, the goal of sending a hundred-unit convoy out of Carthage on the fifth turn of the next round is realistic.

To clarify, this liner is not visible in itself, but is stacked under a steam frigate five tiles west of Lisbon
That's correct, maybe we should add another ironclad to catch both?

I agree with waiting for 20 transports to be able to carry 100 units over. We have already 10 in the area and can produce (via rushes) 5 a turn easily. This should enable us to have 20 transports in a matter of a few turns.

Gentlemen, my apologies. Looking at my schedule for the week before I start travelling, I'm not going to be able to play a useful number of turns. So my usual summer period of unavailability will have to start now.

Given the rate at which we're progressing, I'm sure you'll win the game before I can return to playing around August 25. Since every new city we capture or found generates four cpt, I imagine we'll win by domination rather than conquest unless we take special measures to avoid it. I regret missing the chance to use all the new WWII units, but I look forward to version 1.5.

And Civinator, my congratulations. Although I have questions about many specific points, this is a brilliant and engrossing mod representing a phenomenal amount of work.

Something is not working on my computer. The internet connection is failing and I can't get the thumb drives to show up, so I can't get the game to the computer with civ on it.

I think it would be better if I took a swap/skip for this game. It is quite possible I will need to take the machine someplace to fix it which could easily be a week.

I will continue to try things out and see if I can get it to work. If I do get it working, I have another civ game to play which I will start. If I can't it will likely need to be a skip.

I am not very pleased with my latest computer. Past ones have been pretty reliable, but this one just keeps having issues.

Sorry to hear you are having more problems. It does not seem that long ago you had to send one in.

Something is not working on my computer. The internet connection is failing and I can't get the thumb drives to show up, so I can't get the game to the computer with civ on it.

I think it would be better if I took a swap/skip for this game. It is quite possible I will need to take the machine someplace to fix it which could easily be a week.

I will continue to try things out and see if I can get it to work. If I do get it working, I have another civ game to play which I will start. If I can't it will likely need to be a skip.

I am not very pleased with my latest computer. Past ones have been pretty reliable, but this one just keeps having issues.
Bummer Greebley, sorry to hear this. We will miss your a$$-K!cK!ng in this game. Countries are falling fast and the new units are fun. I would recommend to anyone playing this mod to download our save and have fun with the Hotchkiss battle-auto.

Bummer....so now we have NP on vacation and Greebley with computer issues.

Northern Pike - vacation til August 25
Greebley - hardware issues
vmxa - up
barbslinger
ThERat

Top Bottom