Rat44 CCM - Ultimate Challenge

If we start to embark on self research, we really need to boost academies etc

To clarify, we aren't really self-researching yet. We're just running at 7-2-1 rather than 7-0-3 while we wait for enough gpt to come back that we can buy Imperialism, so that the tech will be cheaper when the time comes. This is clever optimization, though it does leave us on the edge of bankruptcy. :crazyeye:

Thus, Tusker's round doesn't have to be devoted to research builds, and we should definitely get a lot of US cav built. Even if we decide not to return to war soon, they upgrade to Hotchkisses.

Normally I'm fanatical about hospital builds, but New York doesn't need one when it can already work all its twenty-one tiles. NY should build a university and then US cav.

We can't run 9-1. The limit of 70% is meant to cover gold as well. You can get around it by changing it every turn, but since it turns back after calculating gold, it a bit of a cheat.

We have to run low cash because I spent a lot on naval guns. Note that any time we need +100 gpt, just switch the scientists back to taxmen. Its less efficient, but can be done.

We could self research easily now if we wanted to. However, since we want to get to the next age, we will want to do gpt deals for at least the second of the 2 techs. I don't think it will be worth spending all our gpt on Imperialism if it means waiting 20 turns for the next one -steam or whatever it is We can research Imperialsim in maybe 7 turns at full and then buy ourselves to the next era by getting steam. Its tough because we can't broker when the techs are one after another like this.

We would be able to buy Imperialism if we can get back enough in cash to turn around and purchase steam.

Another great story and an interesting presentation by all players of this succession game. :goodjob: :clap:

And now to some posts in that story.

The American frigate:

....the American frigate (a great flavour unit, Civinator)

This wonderful unit was created by aaglo :)

Changing governments in CCM:

I was thinking maybe of trying out republic.
We lose a city size going from monarchy to republic and one when we went back right? Or is it more? There is no long anarchy period. The last may make it worth while.
What happens to our Royal Barracks? Do our cities keep them so they are still there when we switch back? Building them again would be a big annoyance.Thoughts?

Let´s have a look in the CCM civilopedia:

The phase of Anarchy always lasts only two turns. It is as if you would play a civilzation with the religious trait in standard Civ 3. But different to the standard Civ 3, Anarchy costs population (1 pop for towns and 2 pop for cities). Additionally some governments (republic, democracy, fascism and communism) cost additional population losses. This is triggered by the "forced resettlement"-flag in the editor. So for each of the "advanced" governments (republic, democracy, fascism and communism) you have a population loss of 2 pop for towns and 4 pop for cities (1+1 and 2+2). The loss of population mostly soon can be compensated by the better rates of growth and expansion of the more advanced governments combined with the better happiness of the remaining population and the use of granaries/hospitals.

If you switch to one of the older governments (despotism, monarchy and theocracy) you only have the population loss of the Anarchy-phase (1 pop for towns and 2 pop for cities).

For the "normal" difficulty levels monarch and emperor in CCM it makes a lot of sense to switch governments more frequently than you are used to it in standard Civ 3, especially if you have a lot of granaries and later hospitals in your towns and cities. I can´t contribute experiences to frequently changing governments in demigod and Sid-level, but I want to point to the fact, that changing governments after a lot of cities of another civ are conquered, could be a much better and even more efficient methode to reduce the risk of revolutions by foreign population than "starving them to death".

Government-specific buildings stay in their cities when the government is switched -so you can´t see them any longer in the city when your civ is in a different government. Even when capturing a foreign city with government-specific buildings in it, there is a change of gaining these buildings as it is for every building inside a captured city. If a player later changes to the government of these government specific buildings, they can be used again if they didn´t become obsolete in the meantime.

Now let´s have a look to the government "Republic" in the civilopedia:

The government "Republic" in CCM is a very comfortable government for early massive peaceful growth and research in the game when you have tenmples in the cities. It´s not well suited for warmongers as this government lacks barracks (and this is intended). For Rome/Italy and their civ-specific early barracks, this government is the ideal government for a big part of the game.

The entry for the republic in the civilopedia must be adjusted to the new unit costs and maintenance in CCM betatest biq 1.8.

Attachments

• Anarchy-Civilopedia.jpg
    Anarchy-Civilopedia.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 266
  • Republic-Civilopedia.jpg
    Republic-Civilopedia.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 274
Thanks for the post civinator.

A switch to republic and then back would cost 6 population in cities. That is a bit on the pricey side unless you plan to be republic for a while.

Is Democracy the same as civ 3 with forced anarchy if you get sufficient war weariness?

Yes, thanks for the clarification of what happens with government-specific buildings--very useful.

Rush Windmill in Hovd
Change some builds as discussed. I also change Hospital builds to other things in large towns (e.g. Gatineau)

IBT:

Spanish bombard Sapporo.
French are building Arm's Race; Turkish are building Eiffel Tower

Turn 1 (1690 AD):

All I do is shift units towards the front. I also get the road built 2S of Matsuyama.

IBT:

More bombardment at Sapporo...

Turn 2 (1695 AD):

Another boring turn of shifting units. We're up to +209gpt now though.

IBT:

French want MPP and ROP. Not a chance.

Russians complete Blue Riband.

Turn 3 (1700 AD):

We meet the Inca. They're up Imperialism and have no money.

Sell Physics to Carthage for Dyes, 72gpt, and 76 gold.
Sell Horses to Persia for 48 gold + 2gpt.
Sell Horses to Portugal for 164 gold + 8gpt.

IBT:

Ooh, Inca and Korea are at war. I see a Korean city get bombarded.

Spain bombards us again, yawn.

They also land some units near Rhodes :(

Turn 4 (1702 AD):

I scramble units, but I can't quite get anything in position to kill the invaders near Rhodes.

IBT:

Nothing much...Spanish Knights move from Rhodes towards Argos.

Turn 5 (1704 AD):

Hussar kills Knight
Hussar kills Knight

The threat to Argos is gone.

Declare on Japan.

Near Matsuyama:
eKnight kills Late Pike
eKnight kills LB
eA-Cav kills LB

Near Hakodate:
US Cavalry has a sad debut, retreating from a Fire Lancer on a Garrison. The Fire Lancer kills one Hussar before being ridden down by another.
Missionary converts LB and tears down the garrison.
Lawyer dies vs. Samurai
Enslaver kills it.

Hakodate:
Hussar retreats vs. Asian Musketman
Hussar dies
Hussar kills Asian Musket
Hussar kills Musket
US Cavalry kills Musket and takes the city.

eKnight kills Samurai

I prevent a riot in Sapporo.

IBT:

Japanese Samurai kills our A-Cav
Japanese Hussar retreats from our Musket.

Japan declares on Babylon!

Turn 6 (1706 AD):

Lose a freshly-built Famous Pirate on a Spanish War Galleon :(

Bombarde kills Fire Lancer
Hussar kills Fire Lancer and promotes
Hussar kills Samurai

Battle for Matsuyama:
eKnight retreats
eKnight kills Musket
Hussar kills Musket, promotes
eKnight kills Musket and takes the city!

IBT:

Samurai kills eKnight x2
... and Hussar in Matsu x2
jumbo dies to eKnight
Samurai kills Knight
Samurai dies to Knight
LB dies to Knight
Cav kills Musket

Turn 7 (1708 AD):

Hiroshima area:
eKnight dies vs. Samurai
Knight kills Samurai
Knight kills Longbow
Hussar dies vs. Asian Musketman, no damage
Second Hussar dies.
Knight dies to Musket
Knight retreats
Knight dies
Cav kills Musket
Cav retreats from conscript Musket :(
MDI dies on the same Musket
Enslaver dies to LB

Matsuyama area:
Hussar kills their Hussar.
eHussar narrowly kills Cav
eHussar dies, no damage :wallbash:
Enslaver takes the same Cav captive! :party:
Enslaver narrowly dies vs. Samurai
Missionary narrowly dies vs. Samurai :mad:

IBT:

Japanese Cannon kills one of our exposed Knights
They lose two Cannons and a Samurai, and maybe a Hussar before they retake Matsuyama along with 16 gold.

Their cannon kills our MDI and captures the slave we just took
We lose another Hussar near Hiroshima.

Indo-China declares on Babylon!

Spain declares on India!

Turn 8 (1710 AD):

Hiroshima:
Knight dies to Musket
Bombarde kills Samurai
Hussar kills Musket
Knight dies to Musket
Cav kills Musket
Cav kills redlined Musket. The city is ours.

Enslaver captures a Cannon crew.
Cav kills Elephant
Missionary converts LB
Hussar kills Cannon
Hussar kills LB

Near Matsuyama:
Hussar barely kills Samurai
Enslaver captures Cannon

IBT:

Samurais kill one of our Enslavers and one of our Hussars.
Samurai retreats vs. our Pike near Matsuyama.

Turn 9 (1712 AD):

Matsuyama area:
Cannon kills Samurai
Cav kills LB
Cav kills Samurai
rCav kills Samurai
Horsearcher kills redlined Samurai
Hussar kills Fire lancer

Hiroshima area:
Enslaver dies to Cannon.
Cavalry kills Cannon
Knight kills Samurai
Missionary barely kills Cannon

Buy Imperialism from France for Furs, Elephants, and 419gpt. Steam Power due in 29 turns.

IBT:

Jap Cav retreats from our Pike near Matsu
Samurai retreats
Elephant kills our Pike
jumbo dies vs. our Hussar
Samurai dies
jumbo kills our Hussar
LB dies vs. our Cav
Enemy Hussar kills our Cav

Hiroshima riots due to resisters going back to work.

French complete Arm's Race.
Turks complete Eiffel Tower.

Turn 10 (1714 AD):

Famous Pirate sinks Japanese ship.

Near Matsuyama:
Cannon kills redlined Cav
Cav kills jumbo
Hussar dies to enemy Hussar
Horsearcher kills jumbo
Hussar kills redlined enemy Hussar

Near Hiroshima:
Hussar dies to Fire Lancer :(
Cav kills Fire Lancer
Musketman kills FIre Lancer
Hussar kills LB
Hussar kills LB

Our position is quite weak near Houston/Matsuyama, and we might lose the Garrison on the IBT. After that, though, I think we can turn that around and start a drive towards Nara.

The next player should see about selling Imperialism to tribes like Portugal for whatever cash we can raise to defray the cost of tribute to France.

The Roster:
ThERat
Northern Pike
Greebley
Elephantium
CommandoBob - up

Good to get started on the next war, I think we should just fight our way up the continent, one Civ after another while trading techs.

I should also note that we can cut research time in half if we boost research to 50%. That's the point where we start running a deficit though.

As for tech trading, how many of the IA techs can be traded?

As for tech trading, how many of the IA techs can be traded?
(in CCM 101: A Primer)
Tech Trading
Of the seven Tier 1 techs in the Industrial Age; Nationalism, Industrialization, The Corporation, Steel, Screw-Propeller, Compound Steam Engine and Scientific Method, two of them (Steel and Screw-Propeller) cannot be traded. The other five can.
Unless this too has changed in this biq...

This problem will be solved in CCM betatest biq 1.8 :)
Thank you!

The Roster:
ThERat
Northern Pike
Greebley
Elephantium
CommandoBob - up

Good to get started on the next war, I think we should just fight our way up the continent, one Civ after another while trading techs.
Got it.

Plan to have a strategy post up tonight and start playing sometime Saturday afternoon.

Motherboard was okay; it was just the power supply as I first thought. When I connected the new one I did not get the connector to the motherboard pushed in all the way. :shake:

It's good to have gotten started against the Japanese. :goodjob: We're already strong relative to them, so our main trouble may be with flips and the inconvenient geography of their lands.

We should buy Steam Power immediately (presumably from France as usual), receive our free IA tech, and see what trade possibilities we then have. If our luck is good we may be able to make some deals before hitting Enter.

Bulgan should switch to an aqueduct build. It has some remaining growth potential once its irrigated tiles are railed, and already has its hospital, so it shouldn't be left stuck at size ten.

Monarchy
70% Tax
20% Science
10% Luxury

3474 gold, +438 gpt

Steam Power in 26 turns.

City Builds
  1. not with 64 cities

City Build Recap
Musketman [6]
Basilica [2]
Town Center [16]
Academy [2]
US Cavalry [6]
Royal Barracks [3]
Courthouse [5]
Bank [4]
American Frigate [2]
Statue of Liberty [1] (Hovd, 32 turns)
Hospital [5]
Temple [1] (Mandalgovi)
Town Clock [5]
Christian Community [3]
Marketplace [1] (Surrey)
Harbor [1] (Buffalo)

Resources
01 Saltpeter
00 Ivory
06 Iron
04 Horses
Export 3 Horses (Aztecs, Persia and Portugal)
Export 1 Ivory (France)

Luxuries
01 Wines (Persia)
03 Furs
01 Dyes (Carthage)
01 Incense (Britian)
01 Gems (Arabia)
Export 2 Furs (France and Britian)

Military
  • 01 Worker
  • 23 Pike
  • 05 Arqubusier
  • 09 Knight
  • 03 Cannon
  • 12 Musketeers
  • 03 Maces
  • 13 Late Pikes
  • 24 Musketmen
  • 16 Hussar
  • 16 US Cavalry
  • 04 Horsearcher
  • 01 Missionary
  • 01 Lawyer
  • 29 Move 2 Slave (from civAssist II)
  • 19 Move 1 Slave (manual counting)
  • 01 Monk (Greek)
  • 03 Monk (Japanese)
  • 01 Enslaver
  • 03 American Frigate
  • 18 Northeuropean Workers
  • 02 Northeuropean Settlers
  • 10 Native Spears
  • 01 Famous Pirates
  • 21 Tomahawk warriors
    • Current Units: 195
    • Allowed Units: 196
    • Support Costs: 000 gpt (3gpt/unit)

Turn 226 of 500

We are Strong compared to:
  • France (Anarchy)
  • Japan (Democracy)
  • India (Monarchy)
  • Carthage (Theocracy)
  • Korea (Monarchy)
  • Austria-Hungary (Monarchy)
  • Persia (Theocracy)
  • Netherlands (Theocracy)
  • Portugal (Democracy)

We are Average compared to:
  • Isreal (Theocracy)
  • Aztecs (Democracy)
  • Germany (Democracy)
  • Britian (Democracy)
  • Scandanavia (Theocracy)
  • Turkey (Democracy)
  • Arabia (Republic)
  • Indo-China (Monarchy)

We are Weak compared to:
  • Poland (Monarchy)
  • Egypt (Monarchy)
  • Babylon/Irag (Monarchy)
  • Spain (Monarchy)
  • Inca (Monarchy)
  • China (Theocracy)

We are at War with Spain and Japan.

City Counts
64 USA (Rat44 people)
34 Spain
25 Indo-china
23 Inca
22 Poland
20 India
17 Austria-Hungary
17 Babylon/Iraq
17 Britian
17 Germany
14 Egypt
14 Carthage
14 Scandanavia
13 Korea
12 Aztecs
12 China
12 Turkey
11 Arabia
09 Israel
08 Persia
07 France
05 Portugal
02 Netherlands
?? Japan

Total cities known: 389

Major Trades
330 gpt to Aztecs (1 Turn left)
Something for Wines from Persia (3 turns left)
Something for Gems and 51 gpt from Arabia (3 turns left)
Furs for Incense from Britian (9 turns left)
Something for Dyes and 72 gpt from Carthage (13 turns left)
Furs, Elephants and 419 gpt to France for something (19 turns left)

Notes
Both Persia and Arabia lack Democracy. Arabia also lacks Naval Power and Persia lacks Military Tradation and Colonialism. We should be able to purchase Wines and Gems from them when those trades expire in 3 turns.

Continue the war with Japan, marching to the Northwest. Matsuyama, Nara and Edo look like promising targets, but we shall see.

The Erenhot - Houston area is weak, with a Monk and a Cannon defending Houston. Defenders are on their way but not for a turn or two.

Matsuyama looks to be a tough nut to crack. Elephantium spent a lot of time in this area, taking the city, losing it to superior forces and then thinning out the reinforcements to be ready to take the city again. Maybe we can quickly road to this city, once we capture it, so that Muskets and such can enter and defend quicker. But first we have to take the city, and that won't be right away.

We have Royal Barracks in Montréal, Toronto, Kazan, Boston, Winnipeg, Regina, Erenhot, Bulgan, Fredericton, Surrey, Choir, Gatineau, Atlanta and Hohhot; 14 total building 9 units.

Techs:
We can buy Steam Power from France for 3470 of 3474 gold and 227 gpt, which is the best price by far. Or learn it ourselves in 9 turns at 70% science, -247 gpt.

For any other tech I would just learn it on my own. But Steam Power gives us faster workers, though we still need Compound Steam Engine to make railroads. And yet the thought of paying France over 600 gpt doesn't set very well either.

City Builds:
Military -> Military.
Town Centers -> Town Clocks.
Town Clocks -> Academies? Courts? Happy buildings?

Techs:
We can buy Steam Power from France for 3470 of 3474 gold and 227 gpt, which is the best price by far. Or learn it ourselves in 9 turns at 70% science, -247 gpt.

For any other tech I would just learn it on my own. But Steam Power gives us faster workers, though we still need Compound Steam Engine to make railroads. And yet the thought of paying France over 600 gpt doesn't set very well either.

Our free IA tech will lose a lot of trade value in nine turns, so the purchase from France has to be made now. Enriching the French isn't a problem, because they've taken a pounding in their wars and don't have enough cities (seven) ever to be dangerous.

Bear in mind that the foreign workers next to Choir are for building garrisons in the Japanese war, and the three native workers near Baruun-Urt are for roading at the front.

As for our builds, Steam Power makes steam engine available, though this is a short-lived improvement (obsolete with Radio) which should be built in towns that can finish it quickly, but isn't mandatory everywhere.

I agree, NP. We should make the trade for Steam Power immediately and hopefully parley our free tech into trades with other tribes.

definitely get the tech immediately

Top Bottom