Rate staring techs !

mi6agent

Warlord
Although not important as traits, starting tech is still a very big factor of the game.
My opinion from best to worse : Argiculture, Hunting , Mining , The wheel, Mysticsm, Fishing.

Mining and the wheel are my favorites. Hunting is good to for the scout.
Maybe make this a poll?

I guess it's too late for the poll now (the OP is offline, & the poll posting time limit is about to expire soon). For my part, I'd rate the starting techs the following way:

agriculture > mining > fishing > mysticism > hunting > the wheel

Of course. my rating is based on me preferring to have my early cities developed enough ASAP, above all.

damn too late for poll >.<
btw, Darius have all . 2 best trait , 2 best techs, best UU , best leader beard :D

Mining is nice for being one step closer to BW. Agriculture too although, if it's a largely water map then having fishing off the bat is handy. Mysticism is only good if I'm planning on trying to spread a dominant religion which isn't that often.

I'd have to put Fishing higher than The Wheel. The Wheel is more or less worthless until you have to set up trade routes or connect resources for happiness or trade. What Fishing does is it makes it so that you can work lake and sea tiles, meaning that you can tech your first tech a lot quicker (especially if you're financial). Added to that, The Wheel doesn't really leaded to any better techs that you need off the bat (that any other starting tech doesn't lead to) and can only really slow you down if you plan on chariot or axe rushing someone, in which it isn't very hard to get as a second tech. Even in that case, Fishing would be better as you'd research the techs quicker, while your worker would still hook up the horse or copper at the same time.

Mining - Agriculture - Hunting - Fishing - The Wheel - Mysticism

My ultimate favorite pair of starting techs is Hunting and Agriculture. This allows me to research AH at an immediate discount, and if no horses are available, I go straight to Archery to fend off immortal/deity level barbarians. Of course, on immortal, I have time to research 1 other early tech, such as mining or fishing.

I'd have to put Fishing higher than The Wheel. The Wheel is more or less worthless until you have to set up trade routes or connect resources for happiness or trade. What Fishing does is it makes it so that you can work lake and sea tiles, meaning that you can tech your first tech a lot quicker (especially if you're financial). Added to that, The Wheel doesn't really leaded to any better techs that you need off the bat (that any other starting tech doesn't lead to) and can only really slow you down if you plan on chariot or axe rushing someone, in which it isn't very hard to get as a second tech. Even in that case, Fishing would be better as you'd research the techs quicker, while your worker would still hook up the horse or copper at the same time.

Mining - Agriculture - Hunting - Fishing - The Wheel - Mysticism

Actually, the wheel is an absolute requirement for pottery and chariots...very nice things if the land fits them. You can always road to the 2nd city if you run out of things to do.

Fishing is virtually useless to have early when inland and is inexpensive to research. Normally you don't work coastal tiles 1st because it either slows your starting worker or work boat so not sure what you're talking about there.

A straightforward ranking is rather impractical in my opinion. For example my favourite combination is Agri/Wheel: The most expensive techs, agriculture makes it likely I can improve a useful resource right away, the wheel ensures workers will have something to do (especially useful if I want to build an express lane to a rush victim...) and I probably want that sooner than later anyway.
On the other hand, the wheel is not too useful if paired with another non-resource tech. Something similar goes for Mysticism - if we can improve our land while teching towards an early religion, it can be useful (less so on high levels); otherwise it's weak.

That said, my personal order:

Agriculture, Mining, the Wheel, Fishing, Mysticism, Hunting.

I really dislike Hunting. I'm not actually sure I prefer scouts over warriors, the tech isn't reliably useful or needed and it prevents me from building warriors too soon (I'm fond of doing that for upgrade tricks or simply as dirt-cheap garrison units).

My ultimate favorite pair of starting techs is Hunting and Agriculture. This allows me to research AH at an immediate discount, and if no horses are available, I go straight to Archery to fend off immortal/deity level barbarians. Of course, on immortal, I have time to research 1 other early tech, such as mining or fishing.

Unless you are playing on a large+ map or marathon speed, you do not need archery vs immortal level barbs, only deity (and only sometimes on deity :)). Exceptions are those land-only crapmaps like great plains and such with the default # of AIs, such that an immortal AI gets room for 20+ cities peacefully. Well, more like 3 do.

Depends on the leader. Chariot UU makes Wheel better. Financial with cottageble flood plains (or at least river grass) also makes Wheel better. Mysticism is good for industrious (Capac) for easier wonder spam.

As for fishing - did you see obsolete's deity game that started with 3(!) work boats first?

Generally speaking, Mining is always good for every start, as is Agriculture. Also, if I don't start with one of those two, it is HIGHLY unlikely that my first or second tech would be anything other than one of them. Therefore, I'd say they are my preferred starting techs.

I can certainly remember just as many games where hunting and fishing have waited four or five deep as they have been a #1 priority, so I'll rank them second. The wheel and mysticism are interesting. I am usually annoyed when I realize that I have to research the wheel rather than just starting with it, especially if I end up needing it early, and not starting with mysticism usually means that I won't do so until I need a monument for a border pop in city two.

Depends on map and few other things. Also trait combos are important. If i have agriculture i'd rate hunting lower.

Agriculture>Mining>Hunting>The Wheel>Fishing>Mysticism

On the other hand, the wheel is not too useful if paired with another non-resource tech.

Yes it is. The Wheel is needed for Pottery, so starting with it means you are 1 tech away. Heh, pottery wheel i just thought of that. Anyway, Fishing OR AG is an option for pottery but the Wheel is required.

I tend to think what 2 techs can I research while I build a worker first, so it is the starting combos that matter more than the individual techs.

My favorite staring tech is eyedrops.

Unless you are playing on a large+ map or marathon speed, you do not need archery vs immortal level barbs, only deity (and only sometimes on deity :)). Exceptions are those land-only crapmaps like great plains and such with the default # of AIs, such that an immortal AI gets room for 20+ cities peacefully. Well, more like 3 do.

I do play large maps. :)

On maps with less land, I like to have either Mining or The Wheel over Hunting to give me the chance to worker steal and have another worker tech earlier.

Fishing is virtually useless to have early when inland and is inexpensive to research. Normally you don't work coastal tiles 1st because it either slows your starting worker or work boat so not sure what you're talking about there.
Normally you don't but it can be real helpful if you want to win one of the early religions. That's why Spain's starting techs rock for religion race.

Agriculture / Wheel is my fav combo. Food, the ability to connect resources, and the 2 most expensive worker techs. Immediate access to Animal Husbandry and the ability to build chariots without researching the expensive wheel tech.

Although, I like Mining (beeline BW) or Fishing (if starting on the coast), wheel/agri are the best IMO. I prefer to have mining with a food tech (like fishing or agri) so I can beeline BW while making a worker. Only with a FIN leader do I like Mysticism as a starting tech because you can almost be guaranteed a religion with the FIN trait. I dislike Hunting b/c I'd rather start with a warrior. I know, call me crazy, but I play with barbs off, so no hut-popped-barbs for me :p.

Top Bottom