RawSasquatch/Kramer's New Civilizations

Considering the era Biafra existed in, there's not really other options?

There's always buildings, Great Persons, Improvements or an older but related unit type.

I've been looking into Biafra as part of some research into another mod, and, um, no. There reeeeeally aren't. I mean, yes, theoretically you could go back to some of the Igbo polities and swipe something from there, but the problem is I don't want to go that far back because it'd only hurt the Civ in the long run.

The whole thing about Biafra was that it was meant to be an absolute beast in lategame wars. See, the Biafran army was incredibly inventive, and it kind of had to be; it was an incredibly asymmetrical war, not aided by the Nigerian blockade (which, btw, shot up doctors). The Red Devil is a tractor with armour welded on and its unique promotion is an advanced form of cluster bomb they cooked up themselves. The Biafra Baby, as has been stated elsewhere, is a cropduster and military trainer with rocket launchers nailed to the support struts. That's AWESOME.

I want THAT Civ.

Hm, couldn't both work as replacements for the Landship and the Triplane though? I mean, the Landship is technically an altered tractor too, and a crop duster ain't too far from a Triplane, so it kinda makes sense.

Except for the fact it makes sod-all sense chronologically, and for the other fact that the Biafra Baby was a ground-attack low-an'-slow aircraft rather than a fighter (think a teeny weeny A-10 that still smells faintly of pesticides and old tarps), and for the other other fact that the whole point of the Red Devil is its cluster bomb ability, and cluster munitions weren't developed until the '40s, and yes I'm determined to pick as many nits and holes in this as I can because I had a vision, damnyereyes. =]

Hm, indeed, the Baby would make more sense as a Bomber replacement than a Triplane. Still though, for gameplay's sake, I'd recommend having them replace the Great War units.

In the end though, the discussion is for naught, as RawSasquatch has the final say anyways.

If the whole point of the Civ is to have massively powerful lategame units, then I fail to see how it's a gameplay problem. It pretty much forces you to beeline for Computers (recall that a: you get the Red Devil at Combined Arms and that b: that tech's a requirement for Computers, where you get the Biafra Baby) and makes you use a lot of units that aren't used nearly as much by the player precisely because of their placement in the tech tree. And also because Helicopter Gunships are such sparkling dog eggs. Combine that with interesting effects from the units - I think - and a UA geared towards aggressive warmongering in the midgame with a few Strats up and running, and you have a very powerful Civ combination. It's very, very potent, but the balance comes in the fact that you're using generic units for the majority of the game. Guess what? So does Germany. =]

I actually quite like the idea of a Biafra civ (I've been bouncing the idea around for a short while, actually). And I do agree that it could be nothing but late-game uniques, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for any of JFD's WW2 mods, for example. Churchill has a Battleship Replacement, a Fighter replacement, and a simple production-boosting UA, yet I would still call them fairly strong to play as all game long. That Biafra design is pretty solid, but I do agree that a few slight changes would help.

For starters, I do think the Biafra Baby would work best as a Bomber replacement, instead of a Helicopter Gunship. Perhaps available earlier, with Ballistics. Some sort of bonus to aircraft is also necessary, whether through the UA alongside Armor, or through some sort of "Recruit Jan Zumbach" decision. (Perhaps the latter could simply grant a bonus to the production of Aircraft, and provide a unique Ace unit that functions like an Aerial Great General.) Additionally, the straightforward combat bonus to Armor (and Aircraft) gives off a bit more of a "Blitzkrieg" vibe than an "Araba Let's Separate" vibe. Perhaps, at the cost of making it needlessly complicated, they only receive the attacking bonus when fighting within 2 tiles of the empire's borders, inside or outside. So as a final compilation of my ideas:

Republic of Biafra (Ojukwu)
Start Bias: Coastal
Capital: Enugu
UA: Araba War
Upon a Declaration of War, generate +1 :c5production: Production from all Strategic Resources and receive double Oil for the duration of the conflict. Armoured Units and Aircraft gain a +25% Combat Bonus when attacking within 2 tiles of the empire's borders.
UU: Red Devil (replaces Bazooka)
Radically different to, and slightly weaker than (78 :c5rangedstrength: Ranged Combat Strength vs. 85), the Bazooka it replaces, the Red Devil is considerably faster (base movement is 4), may move after attacking, starts with +1 range, is available at Combined Arms rather than Nuclear Fission, counts as an Armoured unit, and requires Oil. Additionally, it has a unique promotion, "Ogbunigwe", that allows it to deal damage (with a -67% :c5rangedstrength: Combat Penalty) to all other units within 1 hex of the target, including Cities and friendly units.
UU: Biafra Baby (replaces Bomber)
Available with the discovery of Ballistics, the Biafra Baby is cheaper to produce (325 :c5production: vs 375) but slightly weaker (62 :c5strength: vs 65) than the Bomber it replaces, though it also receives a notable combat bonus (25%) when attacking targets in Open terrain.

------

I tried to differentiate the Biafra Baby from the B17 (the only other Bomber UU I know of) as much as possible, which means sacrificing the bonus against cities. But the cheaper cost + the UA's bonus to Aircraft + the potential Decision boosting both of those things significantly means I had to make it a bit weaker by default, as well. Either way, any units dumb enough to set up camp in open terrain within 2 tiles of your border are dead meat.

I made a quick icon if you're interested:

Ooh, I like it! Though it seems a bit too similar to Holy Rome:
I think we're starting to run out of unused but pleasant color schemes in the mod community.

Well, that was wholesome and entirely suited to a family friendly forum.

And on topic, considering that the Biafra Baby was a converted crop-dusting plane and not even close to an actual child.

Crop dusting plane... okay that's it.
Anyone has a city list suggestion?

It's looking a lot like the CSA is going to be the next civ released, and they're coming up quickly. Hopefully within the month! Other than the UI art, the only thing I need is mod support. How does everyone feel about these Decisions and their costs?

Establish the Golden Circle
A secret society, calling themselves the "Knights of The Golden Circle", has apparently gained significant power in our country, and they claim their ultimate motive is the transformation of several nearby city-states into slave-states, under the rulership of our proud nation.

Requirements: Player must be Confederate States, Player must be at war with a City-State, May not be enacted in the Ancient Era, May only be enacted once per game.

Costs: 1 Magistrate, 500 Gold, 100 Culture

Rewards: Military Units are 50% more effective at intimidating City-States, Captured City-States experience no resistance time.

Raise the CSS Virginia
Steamships are the favored topic of discussion amongst our admirals and sailors these days, and they all agree that we need one for our fleet. A recently-sunken Frigate may be the prime option for conversion into an "Ironclad" warship.

Requirements: Player must be Confederate States, Player must have discovered Industrialization, Player must have a Frigate stationed in a coastal city, may only be enacted once per game.

Costs: 1 Magistrate, 1000 Gold, 1 Frigate

Rewards: Receive a unique Ironclad that is 33% stronger when fighting other Naval units and gains Culture from kills. Upon its sinking, receive a free Great Work of Art.

If you invert the colours on the original design, I think it'd look very striking, especially since the only Civ I can think of with even remotely similar colouration is Cornwall, and that's a much brighter yellow compared to the dusty tan-brown of Biafra.

Hmmm.... all looks good, except one thing(that i haven't got): does the frigate become an ironclad? Because if it does, it loses all of its combat - related promotions...

The Frigate just goes away, yeah. But you get yourself a shiny new Ironclad (available even before Steam Power) that already has a combat bonus against other ships, so I'd say it's worth it.

Well, good thing i found a mod that converts promotions then... :D

Great Work of Art from destruction of CSS Virginia? Is that this lithograph?

Spoiler :

Either that, or this one:
Spoiler :

I might make it so the player will randomly get one or the other, instead of just one set in stone.

Top Bottom