RB24 - Big Brother

T-hawk said:
Did we build Wall Street yet? Seville is the place, as it's our more productive religious shrine.
:blush: No I did not start it, Kylearan you may want to correct this mistake.

Kylearan said:
No, we didn't lose power fortunately. Only a couple of kilometers north of us several cities suffered from the power outage, though!

Scary: A mistake from one power company here in Germany caused a power outage for millions of people in all over Europe. :eek: This really leaves you thinking what terrorists might be able to do if they target our power system... :scared:

Haha...

Our national power company screwed up with the maintenance of our local nuclear power station, and had to shut down a generator for three months, leaving with rolling power blackouts for the entire period.

It got better when they started regulating it, but for a few weeks, the blackouts were completely random. Imagine the local bakery, and the power goes for 30 minutes in the middle of a large batch.

In the north of the country, a power failure left some suburbs without power for up to three days. Hot weather, so say bye bye to the entire contents of your refridgerator.

Atlas* said:
:blush: No I did not start it, Kylearan you may want to correct this mistake.

Nothing to be embarrassed about...

If you could have started it, it would only have been with a turn or two to spare. At the end of my turn, we still needed 4 banks, and some of those builds were long ones (more than 15 turns).

T-hawk said:
Also, he's got Military Tradition -- wonder if he'll ever come ask for a Defensive Pact?
I think he will if we pass him in power, so maybe build rifles, while going all cash for a few rounds and then a massive upgrade? That might shoot us to the top of the power graph. Right now we are only a smidge behind Monty in Power and he has Cavs, while we have mainly longbows, Maces, Cats and Grens. A nice Mace & Longbow upgrade would probably put us past him in power. Anyway, that is a thought on getting a defensive pact invitation.

Start Wall Street in Seville. How come I build Wall Street in a Spanish city so often...? :lol:

I also notice that our little brother lacks a strategic resource we have, coal! I trade it to him immediately. Looks like we have to mine one of our other sources.

I reconfigure those cities which still can grow to do so. I also notice we still have lots of tiles needing improvements, and with railroads coming soon, we will need more workers. I will train a couple during my watch.

Monty had a golden age! Well done, little brother. :) What he had not done very well was constructing the Taj Mahal - Alex beats him to it in 1752AD. :( I cancel the marble deal with Monty.

When Assembly Line came in, I started to build factories in most of our cities.

In 1760AD, we discovered Fascism, and start on Steel next. I adopted Police State and Free Speech (What a combo! :crazyeye: ), as we have enough towns now to make it worthwhile.

In 1764AD, little Bro' surprises us by completing the Statue of Liberty! Well well, our plans who should build which wonder didn't really work out it seems. :crazyeye: We are officially rich now, getting approx. 1600 gold for our half-built statue.

We trade Assembly Line to Monty for Military Tradition and Scientific Methods, then share the knowledge of Fascism with him. He adopts Police State...and is still only pleased with us, that little bugger. :mad:

Even if he won't love us, he gets a royal gift from me.

I hope Monte gets it why I sent this specific guy over to him!

Now that we have Scientific Methods, I switch our research to Biology. We are first in food and mfg, but now last in power as I have only built one military unit on my turnset. We have nearly 3000 gold now though, so the next player can upgrade some of our units to infantry, as Atlas suggested.

Roster:
Kylearan
Bede -> UP NOW
T-hawk --> on deck
theGrimm
Atlas

-Kylearan

Nice turns Ky!!

Monty's relationship to us, I don't know that I have ever seen that "+2 You have shared your technological discoveries with us." That + modifier for Police State will increase I believe so hopefully we will get to "friendly" with him.

Nice Gift :goodjob: for Monty there too.

Do you remeber why the Defensive Pact was redded out?

Brother Bede may want to give Monty "rice" since he appears to lack that.

Got it for Thursday.

Do we need another war to make Monte our friend?

:hmm: must be slipping in my old age, though I included a rice pudding in the last b-day gift.

Scratch that, I forgot, will rectify that omission ASAP.

Do we need another war to make Monte our friend?

Remember, we don't pick on those who leave us alone. If somebody declares on us or Monty, then we can team up against them. Also we don't sign Defensive Pact unless Monty comes asking for it.

:eek: that we lost the Statue -- Monty's golden age must have put him over the top, or a Great Engineer. But good for him. :goodjob:

Hi,

Atlas* said:
Do you remeber why the Defensive Pact was redded out?
Ah damn, wanted to look that one up and forgot. :rolleyes: Maybe Bede can tell us in his report?

Brother Bede may want to give Monty "rice" since he appears to lack that.
Old Brother Bede said:
must be slipping in my old age, though I included a rice pudding in the last b-day gift.
You did, Bede, you did - but I admit I have cancelled it. The rules say we have to only give him strategic resources (= resources needed to build something, like iron or coal) for free, and so I like to cancel some birthday gifts from time to time. While I gift him very powerful things myself, I still like him to remember that he can't take everything for granted. ;) Feel free to gift rice to him again if he's up for more rice pudding, of course!

-Kylearan

Got five turns in and Alex declared on us and showed up with nervous making force on the border at Delphi and Salamanca.

I want to take my time with this as the counter will take some planning; Alex is buddy buddy friendly with lil Bro'; we don't have enough in the kitty to bribe him in; and I got some troops upgraded but they were in the wrong places. Will carry on tonight.

Bede said:
Alex is buddy buddy friendly with lil Bro'; we don't have enough in the kitty to bribe him in;
How about getting him to cancel his deals with Alex? That would suffciently posion the relationship to prevent a backstab by little brother. Alternatively, what about Louis- possibly bribing him in/cancel his deals with Alex.

Team- I know we are not close, but lets keep an eye on the domination limit.

Ooooh, Alex does it again.

As Atlas says, there is the domination limit, but it also won't be any fun getting lil bro into space with only our own sweet selves as competition.

:lol:

I have drawn first blood by capturing Argos, but Delphi is getting hit hard by Greek cats, cavs and grenadiers, it is holding, though it will be a close run thing.

Louis is in the fight on our side, as a freebie, lil' 'Bro doesn't want to betray his bestest friend, and he never did like us enough to offer us a Defensive Pact.

It is going to be tough to mount any real offensive against Alex, as we don't really have the muscle yet.

I would really like to play out the full 15 and get some payback or at least break the back of Alex's offensive, but won't finish them or any kind of coherent report until late tomorrow night, so if Kylearan wants to keep the game moving, or T-Hawk is champing at the bit to get a piece of Alex, I'm posting the save and a picture of the Delphi front.

This was taken at end of the previous turn and shows the kind of force Alex is bringing against Delphi, The city was reinforced on my last turn and the attacking stacks were decimated on the interturn. But as I said 'tis a close run thing in that hot little corner. I had to sacrifice a lot of catapults to cut them down to size.

He made a harassing attack at Toledo and in the early going pillaged our horses at Pisae and another harassment attack at Madrid, but he really wants Delphi back.

BTW, I am finding this style map much harder to fight a war on than a map with defined boundaries. There is something truly loopy about a map that wraps in two dimensions :crazyeye:

Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight

I would really like to play out the full 15 and get some payback

Take your time. I'm in no rush, still got an Epic Nine report to write this weekend. :)

BTW, I am finding this style map much harder to fight a war on than a map with defined boundaries.

I agree, which is why I'm fine with you continuing the war. :) I get headaches when trying to understand the geometry of this thing...

Hi,

T-hawk said:
Take your time. I'm in no rush, still got an Epic Nine report to write this weekend. :)
What T-hawk said. :)

About the war in general: I'm fine with "minor" border adjustments, but would be against a full-style conquesting war against Alex. I think we're big enough to help little bro' into space... :)

-Kylearan

The Save

Well, I had a very nicely laid out story for this one and closed the window before posting, so here is the short version

Alex attacked along the Salamanca-Delphi-Pisae line, with the heaviest concentration of Greek troops at Delphi. His other incursions were harassing cavalry which effectively slowed the movement of troops into the Delphi salient. He also succeeded in capturing a worker gang running for cover at Pisae and pillaged the horse pasture and burned some towns down to villages.

The attacks at Delphi were relentless and concentrated with siege, cavalry and grenadiers all taking their part, and as soon as one group was decimated another took its place, until only a single wounded catapult was left in Delphi. Alex's diversionary tactics at Madrid, Toledo and Pisae had tied up reinforcements just long enough

The two wounded grenadiers will succeed in taking the city and the cavalry will hold up the infantry just long enough to let them.

Delphi is recaptured shortly as Alex has shot his bolt and is unable to reinforce the town and for now his numberless minions are reduced to this

For reasons best known only to himself the war with Greece and the loss of Delphi, however brief it was, has made Monte Friendly towards his brother Romulus. So celebrate the occasion and to mark Monte's birthday Romulus sends 50 gold pieces for golf lessons and another rice pudding :lol:

The front appears stabilized and as soon as some more infantry and siege engines are accumulated at Argos and Arretium it will be possible to take the war into Greece.

Louis was unwilling to betray his buddy Alex by a trade embargo, but did not hesitate to join the war, for nothing, go figure. Not that he was of much visible help.

War weariness is a minor problem in the towns on the Greek border, while the Aztec and French border towns celebrate WLTD. I did turn up the entertainment budget to keep the Spanish from holding siesta parties.

Steel will come soon and the budget remains in the black.

Very little was built as most projects were shifted to troop training and without factories it does take a while to train and equip an infantryman.

I threw up a church in Seville as the combination of Spanish cussedness and war weariness was putting the town at starvation risk.

Hi,

sounds like an exciting turnset! :hammer:

Bede said:
For reasons best known only to himself the war with Greece and the loss of Delphi, however brief it was, has made Monte Friendly towards his brother Romulus.
This is very strange... :crazyeye: But I sure won't complain. (Maybe the best buddy of a civ gets the threshold lowered for becoming "friendly", and Alex lost that "best buddy" status by "declaring war on a friend" (=us) and we are now Monte's best buddy? Wildy speculating here...)

Roster:
Kylearan
Bede
T-hawk --> UP NOW
theGrimm --> on deck
Atlas

Epic 9 report day will be tomorrow, so take your time T-hawk.

-Kylearan

Top Bottom