RBC15f - Ottomans - OPEN - Emperor

Finished my shadow, I thought this start was winnable by Domination:

Note the date. :eek:
I told you it was going to go down to the wire. :lol: So we definitely want to go on the offense before turn 41. :p

The screenshot shows a few of the 6 armies I attacked Madrid with on the penultimate turn, and there were 4 more in Spain by the end of the game.

Bonus points to the person who can point out the unusual and interesting occurence that is evidenced by this final F8 shot. :)

(I wasn't even trying to do this! :blush: )

Future Tech 1 or winning on the last turn of the game?

Yeah, it took until the very last turn of the game to reach 40% land, and that was going all-out. There were only a couple of small cities where the pRNG was unkind and merely let me soften the city up for someone else to take, so I definitely would have been better off starting the offensive sooner.

In this game we should be able to go by the end of this set of turns, or the early part of the next set.

@Doc - My game was at Emperor, just like this open game. I wanted to see if this start could be won by domination. I think I can honestly say I waited until the last possible minute before starting the offensive (turn 41). :crazyeye: :lol:

In this game we should start 6-10 turns earlier, and get a triple benefit of less enemy troops to kill (less VP), smaller cities to capture (less VP), and more time to do it.

I don't believe one can win with the Ottomans by Domination on a higher difficulty level without shrewd diplomacy and a lot of luck. As in, the AI civ(s) you ally with beat a city down to a single defender just in time for you to swoop in and claim the pop and land with a minimal amount of VP from unit kills. In my shadow I was on the short end of 1-2 of those.

It's difficult to start a serious offensive much earlier than ~turn 25. We started with zero Sipahi, 1 Musket/city and only 2 workers. The player really is forced to wait for ~25 turns to build up the troops, and has the additional problem that the first 6-10 turns have to be spent building workers. The Russian start at least has 11 workers so the player can dive right in to building troops.

IHT: Lux at 40%?? Yipes.
IBT: Sweden and Russia Ally vs Prussia.
Turn 1: Wow. A ton of MM to be done. Shave turns off of just about everything. Moving troops to a cohesive force. Disbanding our Navy to speed infra builds. Disbanding reg muskets to speed Sipahi builds. Since we need infra, building a lot of Cathedrals to help with the later WW issues.
IBT: Sweden and Austria MA vs Spain. Denmark and russia sign peace. France and russia make nice.
Turn 2: more infra and restructuring. Hire a clown in Belgrade and lower the lux to 30%, no effect on production.
IBT: English MoW hunts barb galleys below us. Russia gets Advanced tactics.
Turn 3: Give 26 gpt, 110 gold and gems to Russia for advanced Tactics. Starvation allows me to lower lux to 10%.
IBT: Britain gets a MoW fleet in the Med by whacking 5 barb galleys.
Turn 4: Sell Code Civil to the Swedes for 295 gold and WM. Get 30 gold and 7 gpt from Denmark for Code Civil. Nationalism to the Dutch for 55 gold. Rush all non military builds.
IBT:
Turn 5: Build FP, watch income go up by 50 gpt. Lux to 0, mobolize and make 257 gpt. General Education is known. It looks like next turn is gonna be the time to do it.
IBT: The Austrian Army is in Italy.
Turn 6: Take the plunge. No wait. Britain has Artillary Tactics. Buy for 100 gpt. Sell Art tactics to France for Gen Ed, 80 gpt, WM, and 135 gold. Upgrade cannon. Whack the barb camp in Russia.
IBT: Sweden and Austria MA vs Naples. France and Prussia sign peace. Our slave is whacked going to Silks. He was next to a russian city. D'oh.
Turn 7: Declare on Austria. Whoops, Austria and Russia had an MPP. Bummer. Sorry guys. Buy the French in for Dyes and 320 gold.
IBT: Kill a hussar, lose a Sipahi, Lose a musket and a dyes colony.
Turn 8: Lux to 20% Start assualting Zagreb. Start the Golden age. Capture Zagreb. lux to 10%.
IBT: Lost our colony in Russia. France and Russia go at it. See Hussars advance. Sell Naval tactics to Sweden for 236 gold. Sweden Declares on Russia for Seapower.
Turn 9: Solidify. Sell Naval tactics to Sweden for 236 gold. Sweden Declares on Russia for Seapower.
IBT: Spain and Denmark make nice. Kill a hussar, retreat another one.
Turn 10: Most units unmoved. You can choose your own targets. You can go for Venice and down to KoN, or Up to Vienna, or on to the currupt southern Russia.
I am sorry about the MPP snafu, but it happens. We are in good shape to press on. Any Armies should be Janissary Armies. We can establish another dyes colony in our rear, which should help, as we lost our dyes, and are shipping them everywhere. I would also check all the outstanding deals. I Saw that we were paying about 3-15 gpt to nearly everyone when I started.
Next player gets the glory of Mobolization and GA stacking.

Actúally it was meant to play one year, 6 turns, not 10 turns. :p

No problem though, looks fine. :)

Wha? No one wants to follow Romeo's turns? I thought we had a bunch of players ready to go this weekend!

That is because after my glorious turns no one dares play for fear of screwing it up. :joke:
I am now off in search of my humility vow. (Wait I'm really a protestant).
I highly encourage someone else to grab this game. My first real SG was an open SG in the Middle ages scenario. I loved it, and got started/hooked on these things ever since. (even worked my way up to sid.) I'm chasing T-hawk and his goal of having a Sid victory on every conquest. (2 Solo games down :cool: ) (Gonna try the Middle ages as the Germans before too long (Yes I have a plan :king: ).
All of this is because I was a monarch level player that took a chance on an open SG in the RBCiv series. Therefore, if you really want a chance to improve, you have to risk. I was able to jump to Demi-God rather easily with a little help from my teammates. The same could happen to you. Take a dare.

Kiech said:
Wha? No one wants to follow Romeo's turns? I thought we had a bunch of players ready to go this weekend!
Got it. Gimme a minute to figure out what I've got...

Turn 1 - July, 1805

Rush 3 Jannisaries. Advance some Grand Batteries and Sipahi on Venice.
Some stuff automoves...Hire a clown in Zagreb

IBT - Sweden and Austria sign an embargo against us.
Some Hussars attack...some win, most lose.
Netherlands and Russia sign an embargo against us.

Zagreb Riots anyway.

Istanbul Janissary>GB
Belgrade Janissary>GB
Smyrna Sipahi>Sipahi
Mostar Janissary>Janissary
Orsovo Janissary>Janissary
Varna Janissary>GB
Sulina Riots

Turn 2 - September, 1805

At Zagreb, use a Grand Battery to knock a couple of hit points off an interloping Hussar, wake an Elite Sipahi to finish him off, and...

Orhan rallies an army...

Grand Batteries bombard Venice... take out some conscript units, but the city does not fall.

Build a Dyes colony...move some workers around...scroll through our cities and rush-finish some builds.

IBT - Netherlands and Naples sign MA v. Russia. Trade Embargo vs. us between Netherlands and Russia ends. Netherlands declares war on Russia.

Milan falls to France.

Bucharest Sipahi>Janissary
Sofia Janissary>Grand Battery
Angora Sipahi>Sipahi
Athens Sipahi>Sipahi
Thessalonkia Sipahi>Sipahi
Skopje Janissary>Grand Battery
Cide Sipahi>Janissary

Turn 3 - November, 1805

After hammering away at Venice, I get another leader, but am unable to take the city. I'll be surprised if the french don't take it on the next IBT. Forgot to take the neat-o screenie of the second leader. :wallbash:

Dangit. 2 Armies in Zagreb and not enough units to go around.

IBT - Denmark and Russia sign a MA against us.

Istanbul Grand Battery>Janissary
Belgrade Grand Battery>Janissary
Smyrna Sipahi>Sipahi
Chisinau Janissary>Janissary

Turn 4 - January, 1806

I secure us some victory points.

Load up some armies. The two Elite* Sipahi and a Veteran Sipahi go into one army. The other is loaded with Janissaries.

Our Janissary Army clears the enemy troops from around Zagreb.

Worker moves... trying to get us some roads that aren't right next to Austria...

A few trades...

Dyes to Britain for WM+350g
Furs to Spain for 20g+5gpt is a bit light... but we'll probably want to go after Prussia and/or France later...
Wines to Netherlands is way to cheap at 15g...but maybe we can avoid a dogpile here...

IBT - French request MPP+RoP... I respectfully decline. Buy their WM for 10g.
Russians advance a soldier near Chisinau.

Our People want to build the Military Academy! Maybe we should...

Sofia Grand Battery>Grand Battery
Skopje Grand Battery>Grand Battery
Mostar Janissary>Janissary
Orsovo Janissary>Janissary
Varna Grand Battery>Grand Battery
Afyan Janissary>Sipahi

Turn 5 March, 1806

...mostly moving some troops around. Started another dyes colony...a wines and a gems colony could be started on the edges of our empire as well...

After Action Review:

For the "team", I offer some victory points at Venice for your pleasure. :D

Next better player: Consider "Finish Rushing" some stuff as a way to get more troops into action faster. Let a build go for a turn or two, and "finish rush" it with cash.

In closing, I leave the following assembled at Zagreb, for a "possible" :mischief: advance on Vienna:

1 Sipahi Army (2 Elite, might need 1 more turn of rest)
1 Janissary Army
9 Grand Batteries, to assist in the reduction of Vienna
A couple of miscellaneous Sipahi and Janissaries...
and some reinforcements en route near Belgrade...

In case anybody's wondering about the Russian Front, there are 2 Sipahi, a Janissary, a Grand Battery, and 2 Sekhan at Sulina, and an equivalent garrison at Chisinau.

(...@Ankka: somebody really ought to pick this up...

:hammer: on! Here's > > The Save < <

Great job Scout, getting two leaders in just a few turns! :thumbsup:

scoutsout said:
(...@Ankka: somebody really ought to pick this up...
You saying that I should? Too bad I'm up in other SG too.

Ankka said:
Great job Scout, getting two leaders in just a few turns! :thumbsup:
Thanks... though I was more lucky than good on the leaders. Getting Venice was nice. I think Austria will be gassed if Detlef can capture Vienna for us....then maybe somebody can get the 3rd Austrian Victory Point location...

I also started feeding some troops towards Russia... maybe in another turnset or three somebody can start pushing in that direction to gain a toehold on a domination win. (But Moscow is a long way away...)

Lots of Grand Batteries and Janissaries...with Sipahi from the far-off lands....

This is fun, Ankka! :hammer:

Here we go:

Things working fine, but i feel a little bit sadly. I captured only one city.

1806/Mai: Sweden trades ROP+trade Embargo against Russia/Austria with us
Also Brittannia.
i started rushing and collecting units to build up better forces

Juli: Austria ask for peace -> haha hehe hoho......NOoooo
rushed again like crazy
our troops have to walk long roads

Sep: start the attack on Vienna; I killed many many units and loosed none,
but i can't capture it
rushing makes me fun

Nov: Russia demands 20g for peace -> yes, i say Nooooo
Yes sir, i captured Vienna

1807/Jan: What's going on? The most border citys rioting, why are we playing
Republic at a war game?

We have 3 unit stacks. With these we can attack Salzburg, Budapest and Odessa, to start a three front war. I've putted some batterys, sipahi and Jennisey at each force.
With the unit rushings every turn, we have an comfortable reinforcement.

Detlef Richter said:
Things working fine, but i feel a little bit sadly. I captured only one city.
With only 5 turns to work with, taking one city isn't bad. Nicely done, I say! :thumbsup:

Edit: My $0.02: Go after Sibiu and Budapest, consolidate the lines... then start in on Russia....

Top Bottom