RBD13 SG - Cretan Army Variant

I have some questions on mods, and at the end of this post address Schnaard's comments...

First... mostly directed to Sirian, but other mod-makers may know. How did you get the Viking game to work with a: i) custom UU with very different abilities, ii) city and civ name changes (the exact 'minimal' features I need here) and yet only distribute: a save game and an Art/Units folder.

I've been testing the Crete mod using the Editor and/or CopyTool, and can get it to work nicely but ONLY by using the modified .bic file. With the file in place all works well, can create new game and save fine. But revert to original .bic and try to load the game and I either get DataIO error or it loads but the Bull reverts to the Rider and other changes don't show up.
(I did see in the editor how to change draft and whip weariness to 30 turns, between orig 20 and new 40, and support per army from 4 to 2, and shields from 400 to 300. Again, these seem to only be stored in the BIC)

Playwise, I was having a rough start, and found myself with nothing good to build besides barracks and spears until I researched Polytheism. The other civs were already starting to get testy with me. Then came the Bull! :hammer: It was definitely like opening a big-old-can-of-whooparse. But research was already slow, and bully would have to last quite a while to see Mil Tradition. So pretty much, in this quick test, exactly as intended :p

So what's the trick for a minimum-file-swapping mod? Does it involve a scenario, or editing the save-file instead of the bic in the first place?? We'll be ready to go not longer after I found out these answers.

Thanks
---

@Schnaard
I read your posts, but was referring to comments on difficulty of no-culture game weeks ago before rbd7 started, so don't be insulted!! :p

You wrote...
No culture is going to be tough enough - nine viable squares for each city to work, culture flips galore, not being able to capture cities without a permanant nine or ten unit garrison (we'll have no total civ culture except the palace and we can't get "historical culture" into the cities we capture since we can't build cultural buildings), bad diplomatic deals, etc.

In another thread we discussed this and someone (k, I don't recall who) pointed out you're NOT stuck with 9 squares, since there is some melding of boundaries. A city surrounded on all sides with cities 4 squares away will have the full 21 squares to choose from, although there will be overlap preventing use of all 21. As for flipping, I don't recall if the culture *ratio* was important. To cut back drastically on flipping if we raze one city for every one we capture, to have captured cities borders surrounded by 'nothing' instead of a foe's cultural boundary we're in better shape.

The other reason I said "Sirian said" was his direct post in this thread...

My playtest with the no-culture found it rougher than any other variant concept I've tried,

:spank:

Charis

To Sirian:

-My post was more about an expose on what is possible to mess with using the editor and/or how total a "total conversion" can be. In the RBD mod, I didn't mess with global warming, though I didn't know that global warming only affected your own territory. I was under the impression that it was worldwide pollution that caused it, not civ-wide...considering that it's called "global" warming, that's somewhat counter-intuitive, but better for gameplay balance. And I was quite spare with checking the boxes. Only industrious civs got "emphasize workers" checked (I think, and I don't think I checked that box for all the industrious civs), and I checked land bombardment on all of the civs just to see what they could do with it if/when I got involved in a war. Unfortunately, Russia doesn't have a "freaking insane" box to uncheck, so anyone who plays vs. Russia will still have to deal with Cathy's random demands and crazy antics no matter what.

To Charis:

If culture at the Forbidden palace (or any other military wonder that is much more useful for its strategic effects than its cultural effects) is a problem for this scenario(and you're already making a mod), then turn its culture off! And if you want to build armies earlier, maybe move the Military Academy to an earlier branch of the tech tree (like Chivalry or Feudalism) and remove the requirement of needing a successful army. I don't think messing around with just the mil. academy and Forbidden Palace will hurt game balance too much (and does the AI build those if it can? Going up against AI armies could make things REALLY interesting...if they didn't do stuff like put cavalry and spearmen in the same army).

And I could be wrong, but I think that the save file is all that you need to actually play besides the folder needed for the UU graphics. Though having the .bic to play around with on random maps is nice, too.

I'd like to simplify things a bit more. Let me take a stab at some alternate proposals:

* Our cities may not build any cultural improvements. Ever.

* The ONLY cities that may build any cultural improvements are the two capitals: the cities with the palaces. These may build any improvements they like: temples, libraries, you name it! These may build any small wonders we are eligible to build, as well as any greater wonders that include as a trait either Military or Industrious. Thus, the forbidden palace had better go into a productive location! Our two palace cities would thus be the only centers of our nation's culture, and we don't have to alter any of the wonders. All other cities are cretinous, no culture.

* Eligible great wonders would include: Pyramids, Great Wall, Hanging Gardens, SunTzu, Leonardo, Shakespeares (neutral wonder), Universal Suffrage, Hoover Dam, Manhatten Project, United Nations. But being restricted to only two locations for building these, would probably cause us some difficulty. Which is good. :) Our kings and clerics are control freaks. :)

* Second Capital must build the Forbidden Palace FIRST, before any other cultural improvments/wonders. (Otherwise, it's not the capital yet!)

* Charis's Minoan Bull UU as described: 3.2.3 Polytheism, Jumbo gfx, 50 shields, but with no upgrade path (always available). No resources required.

* No alteration to army rules. No alteration to wonders or buildings. No alteration to AI's. Roaming resources left in.

* The draft penalty reduced to 10 turns. (Helps the AI's too, they draft a ton).

* All great leaders must be used to build armies!

* Pillaging of lands and attacking of enemy units in the field or ships at sea may be done by any units without restriction.

* We are Xenophobic about enemy culture. We do not capture enemy cities. Ever. They must all be burned to the ground.

* A Minoan Bull unit -OR- an army must be present to oversee any attacks on enemy cities. (They must be adjacent to the target city when any attacks are initiated -- they are not required to participate in the attack).

* An army unit must be the first attacker vs any enemy capital! Our Cretan people fear what they do not understand, and they do not understand the cultural centers of enemy empires. Only in enough numbers, commanded by a great leader (in an army unit) would they brave such a dangerous assault on the heart of a rival empire! (Side effect, we can't eliminate any rivals entirely until we've gotten a great leader and have an army unit).

* Military and Industrious as Charis suggested, starting techs Warrior Code and Bronze Working as Charis suggested.

* Conquest is our only acceptable victory condition. Whether or not to disable any other conditions to be decided. Any result besides a conquest victory means a loss. (If domination is not disabled, we would have to avoid controlling too much land. If culture is not disabled, we would have to avoid accumulating too much culture in our capitals).

* Large map. Continents or Archipelago, ocean % depending on how long we want the game to last. (More land, longer game, bigger penalty for having only two cultural cities).

* Instead of replacing the Chinese, let's replace the Zulu's and make sure that Egypt is in the game, so we draw the black color. (Or I can just designate us as black, but then everyone would have to install the color fix files to enable extra colors).

* No France in the game, to soothe poor Carbon Copy's nerves. :lol:

I can do the mod in half an hour, but I would need a complete list of Cretan city names and Great Leader names.

As for blitzing armies, if ALL units in the army have 3+ movement, the army can blitz. Armies of Bulls could thus blitz, yes.

Would these compromises suit?

- Sirian

Oh, one more thing. Why don't we just give our Bull Riders blitz ability inherently?

I like quite a few of your suggestions. Let me comment on these...

(Although whether you or I make the mod and map isn't a concern to me, getting answers to my questions and knowing HOW is! :p )

> * Our cities may not build any cultural improvements. Ever.
> * The ONLY cities that may build any cultural improvements are
> the two capitals: the cities with the palaces. These may build
> any improvements they like: temples, libraries, you name it!
> Our two palace cities would thus be the only centers of our
> nation's culture, and we don't have to alter any of the
> wonders. All other cities are cretinous, no culture.
> * Second Capital must build the Forbidden Palace FIRST, before any other cultural improvments/wonders. (Otherwise, it's not the capital yet!)

Together, these rules make a lot of sense and avoid 'requiring' a mod. Two thumbs up.

> * Eligible great wonders would include: Pyramids, Great Wall, Hanging Gardens, SunTzu, Leonardo, Shakespeares (neutral wonder), Universal Suffrage, Hoover Dam, Manhatten Project, United Nations. But being restricted to only two locations for building these, would probably cause us some difficulty. Which is good. Our kings and clerics are control freaks.

Hehe. Of these, I see Great Wall, SunTzu, Leo, Suffrage, Manhattan as very good. UN and Hoover as ok. But the Pyramids and Hanging Gardens are too cultural for Cretan tastes, imho.
(Did I pick all the mil and leave out the industrious?) The distinction is - is there a direct military benefit?

> * Charis's Minoan Bull UU as described: 3.2.3 Polytheism, Jumbo gfx, 50 shields, but with no upgrade path (always available). No resources required.
> * Oh, one more thing. Why don't we just give our Bull Riders blitz ability inherently?

I thought about the blitz ability. Would be interesting and with attack value 3 not of 'permanent' value. If you and others don't think it would imbalance it would be good. "Bull in a china shop" is pictured :p Once we do get bulls, they'll dominate all defenders until Muskets, with Pikes and Hoplites almost able
to handle them.
No upgrade path... hmm... that makes more sense than being in the horse->knight chain. That works.

> * No alteration to army rules. No alteration to wonders or buildings. No alteration to AI's. Roaming resources left in.

Fair enough (although 'just' reducing shields to 320 would work)

> * The draft penalty reduced to 10 turns. (Helps the AI's too, they draft a ton).
Gosh, they draft too much. Although it doesn't matter much. I'm neutral on this change.

> * All great leaders must be used to build armies!
Well, I wouldn't want them rushing suffrage with this, but, I would prefer the GL options: build army, FP, Epic, Academy. Hmm, ok leave out the last two, but don't rule out rushing the FP without knowing how the map turns out.

> * Pillaging of lands and attacking of enemy units in the field or ships at sea may be done by any units without restriction.

That was intended if not stated, sure.

> We are Xenophobic about enemy culture. We do not capture enemy cities. Ever. They must all be burned to the ground.

No problem with this simply because our chance to hold them is so low. One glaring exception comes to mind- we would view SunTzu and Leo's as xeno's stealing OUR culture and would specifically seek out such cities and garrison them with large numbers of units AND a defender army!

> * A Minoan Bull unit -OR- an army must be present to oversee any attacks on enemy cities. (They must be adjacent to the target city when any attacks are initiated -- they are not required to participate in the attack).

That would be one of the few I don't like. This obviates the need for Armies since we can make bulls in large numbers, with no expiration. The Bulls can act independent but not oversee others attacking the cities. Not sure if that restriction comes from a desire for simplifying, or for balance if we don't get many armies/or early on. If the latter, a compromise that works is:
Bulls can oversee attacks vs towns (<= size 6).

> * An army unit must be the first attacker vs any enemy capital!
> Our Cretan people fear what they do not understand, and they
> do not understand the cultural centers of enemy empires.

Excellent.

> * Military and Industrious as Charis suggested, starting techs Warrior Code and Bronze Working as Charis suggested.
> * Conquest is our only acceptable victory condition. Whether or not to disable any other conditions to be decided. Any result besides a conquest victory means a loss. (If domination is not disabled, we would have to avoid controlling too much land. If culture is not disabled, we would have to avoid accumulating too much culture in our capitals).

Roger. Disable domination then if we seek conquest win. We're going to raze anyway, but best not to 'worry' over %land.
Leave culture enabled as a loss condition for us. It would be almost the ultimate irony for Cretans to win by culture - I would find that too amusing to disable :p

> * Large map. Continents or Archipelago, ocean % depending
> on how long we want the game to last. (More land, longer
> game, bigger penalty for having only two cultural cities).

If large map, low land %. If standard map, higher % is fine.
The combo, plus the restrictions and going for a conquest win
might just get us in trouble.

> * Instead of replacing the Chinese, let's replace the Zulu's and
> make sure that Egypt is in the game, so we draw the black
> color. (Or I can just designate us as black, but then everyone
> would have to install the color fix files to enable extra colors).

Fine.

* No France in the game, to soothe poor Carbon Copy's nerves.
lol! Sure unless he's gotten attached to conquesting Joanie!

> I can do the mod in half an hour, but I would need a complete list of Cretan city names and Great Leader names.

I have such a list! I put them in my mod test:

Cities:
Knossos
Malia
Gortyna
Littos
Makritihos
Rafkos
Agios Mironas
Stalis
Koutouloufari
Hersonissos
Loutro
Elena
Khania

Leaders:
Theseus
Perseus
Lady Ariadne
Jason
Hippolyta the Amazon
Andromeda
Herakles
Pleides
Orion
Auricus

I'm still not clear if this requires a BIC swap by the player or not, so do clue me in on that aspect of the mod creation! I feel like I'm one step or trick away from getting it working.

Charis

PS a total aside to Sirian - you took up the deity challenge?? lmao - I wonder if our *stomping* on the AI at emperor diff in a highly restricted ice rock in rbd7 helped boost confidence in higher diff SG games - I seem to recall deity getting shot down as we brainstormed before the cuba game :lol:

How did you get the Viking game to work with a: i) custom UU with very different abilities, ii) city and civ name changes (the exact 'minimal' features I need here) and yet only distribute: a save game and an Art/Units folder.

Not sure where you are tripping up here. There are several "bugaboo" no-no's in the editor, which if messed with will cause crashes. (I may not know them all, but there are certain parts I know I can mess with because I found all the ones in those areas and got help with them).

When you Start a Scenerio, you start a new game. If the scenerio comes with a map, you have the option to use that map or generate your own. Either way, that game start is made with the scenerio rules, you never touch the main game files. Once the game is underway, the savegame includes its own bic, and the altered rules stay with the savegame.

If you want to rename units (RENAME being the key) you must (currently -- they ought to fix this some day) also create a new unit folder with pointers to the appropriate graphics. Otherwise the game crashes. So for the Bull Rider, you would copy the War Elephant unit graphics folders, rename the COPIED version to the exact name you want for the new unit, and also go inside and rename the .ini file, too. If you want to create your own art or import other art, it gets more complicated, and I haven't been that far yet.

But there are all kinds of things you have to do to make the new unit work: flags to check and uncheck, variables to revalue or enable/disable, techs and resources and civilopedia entries to change, Civ availability to change... it's not rocket science, but if you overlook anything, you could be in SERIOUS trouble, because, once again, the rules are LOCKED IN to the save file once you have started the game, and you can't edit them after that. You might be able to hexedit and hack the changes in, but I have not gone that far. So... by what I know how to do, there are no second chances. You get the rules right on the first try or you are in deep deep troubles for an SG.

City and Civ name changes are not a problem, but if you even TOUCH the Barbarian tribe names you are toast. Your whole mod is trash and irrecoverable, start over from your last save. If you change civ colors, everyone playing may need the Color Fix by Gramphos to prevent crashes/fatal bugs. If you want to change leaderhead animations, or diplomatic texts, I haven't gone that far, but some have, somewhere, so it can be done.

Distribution of files for the UU's wouldn't even be necessary, if everyone could follow directions precisely and manage a few copy/paste/rename jobbers. I avoided that because I have the storage/bandwidth to be able to do so, much easier to say "install this" than write a list of directions half a page long and deal with anybody who messed it up.

I've been testing the Crete mod using the Editor and/or CopyTool, and can get it to work nicely but ONLY by using the modified .bic file.

The CopyTool is dangerous stuff. Some things in the game are hardcoded and if you add more, POOFIES! CrashLand. For the Viking mod, I replaced a whole civ, rather than add anything. Some things CAN be safely added, but I haven't been there yet (still doing less dangerous things on my fantasy mod).

ANY changes to civilopedia require actually altering the core game files. :( I made sure not to go that far in my scenerios, but will have to for a full blown mod. :( For a scenerio, people can live without in-game help files, I say. Pay attention to the scenerio briefing instead! :) The game will update a few things anyway, like correctly reporting the unit stats when you reference the civilipedia entry for altered units.

With the file in place all works well, can create new game and save fine. But revert to original .bic and try to load the game and I either get DataIO error or it loads but the Bull reverts to the Rider and other changes don't show up.

OK, located your weed stash here. [pimp] You're trying to Start a New Game? :nono: I'm not doing that. I'm Loading a Scenerio, starting the game from there, by which it includes the altered rules IN the save file, then distribute the save (and any UU support files/instructions) and wallah.

- Sirian

This obviates the need for Armies since we can make bulls in large numbers, with no expiration.

Nearly, but not quite. My suggestions still require an army to attack enemy capitals (may be needed over and over unless the capitals are saved for last).

The Bulls can act independent but not oversee others attacking the cities. Not sure if that restriction comes from a desire for simplifying, or for balance if we don't get many armies/or early on.

Neither a desire for simplifying, nor a concern for balance. Rather a disinterest in featuring the army unit, combined with distaste for the idea of restricting attacks by unit type. The restrictions I offered with city attacks are as far as I'm willing to go in that direction in the context of a no-culture game.

Perhaps part of it is that I have no fascination left for the army unit. I ran five of them in First World, a bunch in Harsh People, armies of everything from Musketeers to Modern Armor in Emperor of France, so darn many leaders in the end game of Apoly 2 that I started using them to rush temples (!!), and recently the kind of army action in my solo Infantry variant game as to have a bunch lying around in garrisons, some not even filled with units yet, because I have too many of em. This "Army Bug" that seems to have bitten you and Jaffa just doesn't hold any excitement for me, while the no-culture concept is quite the opposite, I something I had already tried out but had some troubles with before I even mentioned it to you in the email prior to RBD7. I've got "unfinished business" with the no-culture idea, and only proposed the Bull and army requirements in the hopes of moving far enough in that direction to find common ground.

This one constitutes a deal breaker for me. I'm willing to go as far as I spelled out. If that doesn't meet your hopes, and you have your heart set on an army variant, then I really should bow out of this one. I'm just not looking for an army-focused game. For me, the mix and match would not kill two birds with one stone, it would miss and they would fly away and no birds would be dead. :lol: I'm not hunting army birds; it's culture bird season in Sirianland. :crazyeyes

I offered what I hoped would be enough compromise. That's the most I'm in for, though. For my own purposes, I'd prefer to separate out the army portion and run that in a separate event (in which I am not involved), perhaps with another variant theme that isn't so much at odds with sitting around under hogtied restrictions until the industrial age, at which point armies can finally be relied upon. I'm not a total stick in the mud, though, so I'm willing to compromise with that -- up to the point I laid out.

Maybe one of the reasons I get so many leaders is that I almost never save them. I'll make army after army after army. (I am wondering what you're thinking in the infantry game, sending the leader home -- home to do what? The UN's worthless, what we need is more armies in the field! :) ). I've gotten more than one leader on the same turn, even. If I'm going to rush something, I do it right away. If it can't be done within a few turns, I'll make another army and keep fishing for the next leader.

I suggested the must-use-leader-for-armies rule to support the army fixation, but you didn't like that? :confused: Like... you want to make SURE we don't go anywhere offensively without armies, but you've got other priorities for the great leaders? I don't see the rationale behind that.

Anyway...

My rationale for the Pyramids is simple: high culture? Irrelevant. The POINT of my original idea for no-culture variant is twofold: nonexpanded city borders, and the diplomatic penalties attached to weak culture (including MUCH increased risk of city flip.) Since we can't avoid the cultural expansion of borders at the two palace cities, without wrecking the game balance for the AI's, culture in those cities ceases to become a concern. We could frankly build any wonders there. If you don't want to be industrious civ, too, we COULD make our civ be just military in nature. If you're going to allow great military wonders, I don't see the sense in disallowing the great industrial wonders. They are all cultural! How are the Pyramids too cultural at 4 per turn when the Epic is not... at 4 per turn!

My sense of consistency applies mainly to the gameplay functions, whereas yours... runs on a different plane. I confess to not fully relating. I don't understand the D1 Amazon at all. :) Not one bit! But you love it and I honor that. Like, in variant-making terms you are religious and commercial while I'm militaristic and industrious. You make Smith's Trading Company and Bach's Cathedral kind of variants while I make the Great Wall and the Manhatten Project. :) I didn't lobby for changes to rules in RBD5, just solidification and clarification. But here... I have some vested interests in how we opt to play the no-culture experience.

I don't see the unit restrictions on attacks as a challenge, rather only as a Restrictor Plate on our racecar. It regulates our speed, nothing more -- and there are other ways to slow the game down if that's the goal. The Infantry variant also slows the game, but there's another side to it: doing without blitz units means more than just going slower and giving the AI more warning: it also means more fatalities in combat, and more NEED for armies and for elite units from a military tactics perspective: you need tougher units when your offensive power is less, so they can survive long enough to beat down the walls, to overcome through numbers what they can't overpower with greater force: rather like the Russian victories over Napoleon and Hitler.

Adopting the UU attack requirement I don't like, but can live with, as it's something we can control, and simply requires more preparation, ala infantry gaming. The armies... are another story. Those require luck, and even WITH luck, postpone the game action until the Industrial age. That just does not fit, gameplay-wise, with the no-culture civ. I am not interested in sitting around waiting waiting waiting on armies with a civ that is DESIGNED to go aggressive right out of the gate! The armies with capitals thing would be a twist significant enough (IMO) to impact the game, but small enough not to overpower the cretin aspect.

The way that I would restrict units is to disallow all those I don't want involved. Those left on the table get to play without restrictions. Thus, infantry variant, for example. I don't say "only foot soldiers and bombardment can assault cities", I say, "No fast units". Much simpler. :) It's also more focused. In infantry games, I learn all the ins and outs of infantry, armies, marines, swordsmen, catapults, air units... how all of them stack up in the absence of the godly blitz units. What exactly is learned from waiting around for a great leader to pop out, so we could build an army and be ALLOWED finally to attack somebody???

I think we should raze cities as a rule, no exceptions. If someone else builds SunTzu, that is THEIR culture, not them stealing our culture. If we were too pathetic/slow to build such a wonder, we hate that someone else did and must burn it down!

That's my attempt at Charisization. :lol: If that doesn't work for you, here's the Sirianism:

Burn them to the ground! (We don't need a reason!) :lol:

It's the wise thing to do, strategically, with such overwhelming threat of revolt. We would stand no chance whatsoever of holding on to enemy wonders, unless that was the last city we took, destroying that civ in the process. Even then, I say burn it to the ground! (And let us build all the industrial, as well as military, wonders, if we are indeed militaristic AND industrial!)

The challenge of the cretin game is managing cities without contentment factors, managing the tech race without science factors, managing borders and city security from within a deep hole, managing settlement sites and dot maps not based on ideal locations, but on border control, managing the diplomatic screen without culture (have you TRIED to make a deal from a cultural deficit???), managing conquest where captured cities will revolt back at the bat of an eyelash, and pulling all of this off together without getting beat to the space race or the UN, or getting totally gangraped by the AI's on the alliance front. And this isn't enough? You want to mix and match a whole other concept (which could stand alone as its own variant) in on top of it? Are you sure?

- Sirian

When you Start a Scenerio, you start a new game. If the scenerio comes with a map, you have the option to use that map or generate your own. Either way, that game start is made with the scenerio rules, you never touch the main game files. Once the game is underway, the savegame includes its own bic, and the altered rules stay with the savegame.

Ah, ok, stop, hold it right there! Got it. You see... I'm a man characterized by mastery of the complex and gaping holes in the grasp of the simplest of things.

All the other gotcha's mentioned I figured out with relative ease and my (cough) new game 'mod' was working just fine, no crashes. I had read about the need/suggestion to avoid things like messing with the barbarians or even the colors. But for some reason I missed the 'scenario' thing.

"Take two" of my mod was a civ rename, replacing the Chinese. That was the one that 'loaded' with normal rules but 'reverted' to China and riders when I restored the default bic.

OK, located your weed stash here. You're trying to Start a New Game? I'm not doing that. I'm Loading a Scenerio, starting the game from there, by which it includes the altered rules IN the save file, then distribute the save (and any UU support files/instructions) and wallah.

Oh good, you caught the weed. I figured that out by the third sentence in your post. That's it!

Thanks! [party]
Charis

PS I'll respond to the other post in a bit... I need to mull some things over :p

1. I love the interplay between Sirian and Charis -- such different people, such good friends, both committed to certain visions and not afraid to say what they think. It's awesome.

2. That said, I'm a little disappointed I won't be seeing that in LOTR 1 ... unless you're willing to reconsider, Charis.

3. An idea for a later "more army focused" game, if such occurs, is to let the palace make armies, at a reasonable cost. It's a pretty easy change, and the AI shouldn't be left behind, as everybody has one palace anyway. Might fit Jaffa's ideas anyway.

4. I'd recognized Charis' weed with starting a new game instead of a scenario, but I was too late to comment.

5. Make this a Charis/Jaffa game with Charis' ideas and see how it goes?????

6. I personally like the idea of leaving domination as an (undesired) option, to encourage vast tracts of open lands -- causing worries about more barbarians later and such. Or using bulls for vision control. Conquest is the human's only acceptable win, though.

I'm curious to see how it turns out, but enjoying watching the interplay.

Arathorn

Here's a test... Imaging yourself in the French Artillery game rbd5. You're about
to sack a city but find yourself short an attacker. Do you...
a) Virtually cry out "Ye shall not stand up to the might of the glorious
Musketeer onslaught which shall ravage your ruininous village!!"
Then do you muffle a squeal of elation as he wins?!
b) Cry out "Darn iditioc rule! Why on earth would I attack a size 7 city with
a strength 3 attacker! This makes no sense!" Then grumpingly attack and when
he wins say "Hmmm, well that was lucky."

If 'a' you're a nut, but a specific kind of nut that understands the 'rbd' way. If

'b',
you're an independent (and whether you're a nut or not is an orthogonal issue).
A and B have fundamentally different mindsets. They can both be strong players, and
can hook up for some excellent games, but it's going to be at the intersecting

line.
See neither is a monolithic player, both have wide variety of interests, and there

are
scenarios which appeal to the two for very different reaons.

An equally good test is "Do you enjoy the D1 Amazon variant?" :D

My sense of consistency applies mainly to the gameplay functions, whereas

yours...
runs on a different plane. I confess to not fully relating. I don't understand the
D1 Amazon at all. Not one bit! But you love it and I honor that. Like, in

variant-making
terms you are religious and commercial while I'm militaristic and

industrious.

Hehe, very well phrased!! This isn't new info, we've both recognized it for a

while :p
Some of your variant stories in D2 I read and thought "cool!" but others were "Well

that
was a good challenge, but... I just don't get it. Glad HE liked it!" :p

Cretin? Or Cretan? I liked the following page which tells us:
http://www.mindcog.com/Minoan/minoan.htm
Cretan n. one who lives on the Greek Island of Crete in Eastern Mediterranean
Cretin n. a person suffering from cretinism, a congenital deficiency of thyroid
secretion with resulting deformity and idiocy.
Minion n. 1. a favorite, esp. one who is a fawning, servile follower: a term of

contempt
Minoan adj. designating or of an advanced prehistoric culture that flourished in
Crete from c.2800-c.1100B.C.

Ok, on to the matter at hand...

> Neither a desire for simplifying, nor a concern for balance. Rather a disinterest
> in featuring the army unit, combined with distaste for the idea of restricting
> attacks by unit type. The restrictions I offered with city attacks are as far
> as I'm willing to go in that direction in the context of a no-culture game.

I like your writing style. It's clear and reasoned. In this case though, however,
the difference in army and unit restriction interests leaves us at an impasse.
(Arathorn, I appreciate your comments on our interplay at this juncture :p )

It's becoming clearer there are three distinct options here, each with a strong
proponent: i) no-culture, clearly focused game, ii) ahooga army army game focus,
not just a little, but BIG time, and iii) a weedy blend of the two fairly heavy
on theme and 'role'. Thank you for taking the time and effort to think about
option one and come right up to the edge of how much of the 'other' aspect you
could handle without it 'detracting' too much in your mind. From my viewpoint
there's a difference in 'unit restrictions' and role of armies in your suggestion
which prohibits us from coming further together on 'ii'. I respect that and have
no problem with it. It's one of those 'different view things' where we looked for
an intersection and saw them come close, but left with a gap unacceptable to both.
What I have to ask next is... since it's a team game is there a clear call on what
others want. Whether it's i, ii or iii, it's ok, we're both wanting clarfication.
This paragraph I write at the beginning of my evaluation, not at the end and did
not edit it afterwards. The choice is: split this up into two separate games,
clarifying strongly the focus and intent of both, or stick with this odd weedy
blend :p I've never imposed things on variant/rbd players, just through things out
for them to take or leave, so I won't start now. A SG is inherrently very team
oriented, so if others don't like the weed, no need to force around the pipe!
(OTOH, if some like to try weed, it's ok to let someone who doesn't smoke THAT
type of weed sit out for this one and join up at another party! :smoke:)
My initial thought is... this might call for a splitting. And if so the Cretan
game will fall much more into the no culture focus. The role an army would play in
it would totally bend to the needs of the culture and gameplay focus.

> The challenge of the cretin game is managing cities without contentment factors,
> managing the tech race without science factors, managing borders and city
> security from within a deep hole, managing settlement sites and dot maps not
> based on ideal locations, but on border control, managing the diplomatic screen
> without culture (have you TRIED to make a deal from a cultural deficit???),
> managing conquest where captured cities will revolt back at the bat of an
> eyelash, and pulling all of this off together without getting beat to the space
> race or the UN, or getting totally gangraped by the AI's on the alliance front.
> And this isn't enough?

These are points very well taken. Points recognized individually, but hmmm...
in toto? Now I'm wondering :p

... pauses now to re-read the thread and see just where the interest lies ...

Gung ho army- 1; I'll play anything!-1 ; No culture-3 ; what a great combo!-1
No preference specified-1.

This set of player preferences and some rethinking of the difficulty of no
culture alone leads to think...

Let's do this as a Cretan no-culture game. Drop all army rules completely.
*IF* we keep the Bull as it is, it will just so happen that making an early
army out of the Bulls and doing some blitzing will be a *naturally* good
strategy without having to impose any requirements.

Jaffa, I'm still up for an army game, but would like to see it done up as
a key and strong focus of the game. Think about all the issues mentioned here,
and at any point you come up with a good plan and/or a mod that really brings
out the army, I'm in. :D Do be aware that without mods, you're in a position
where bad luck equals no combat until industrial age, at all, and even then
the number of armies you'll have running around will be insufficient to the task.

Ok, phew! With that off the table, let's make this an outstanding and challenging
no culture game! I still like the bull, and the fact that by razing, not
taking over a city, you'll have a LOT more enemy territory to wade through, and
the extra fast unit with blitz ability seems to fit right in. But if that's
thought of as distractive to the no-culture, it can go (sniff ;p )

In this new light, let's re-address some questions or simplify/clarify the rules:
(In doing this I'm 'Sirianizing' his own rules) (Some items are direct quotes:)

* Our cities may not build any cultural improvements. Ever.

> * The ONLY cities that may build any cultural improvements are the two capitals: the cities with the palaces. These may build any improvements they like: temples, libraries, you name it! These may build any small wonders we are eligible to build, as well as any greater wonders that include as a trait either Military or Industrious. Thus, the forbidden palace had better go into a productive location! Our two palace cities would thus be the only centers of our nation's culture, and we don't have to alter any of the wonders. All other cities are cretinous, no culture.

This won't impact the 'border issue' for all the cities, but it will 'soften'
the AI stance against us as Cretans at the diplo table. Just how hard to you
want to push no-culture? I'm ok with this rule as stated, or an intermediate
one as long as the FP is allowed.

> * Eligible great wonders would include: Pyramids, Great Wall, Hanging Gardens, SunTzu, Leonardo, Shakespeares (neutral wonder), Universal Suffrage, Hoover Dam, Manhatten Project, United Nations. But being restricted to only two locations for building these, would probably cause us some difficulty. Which is good. Our kings and clerics are control freaks.
> * Second Capital must build the Forbidden Palace FIRST, before any other cultural improvments/wonders. (Otherwise, it's not the capital yet!)

Roger.

> * Charis's Minoan Bull UU as described: 3.2.3 Polytheism, Jumbo gfx, 50 shields, but with no upgrade path (always available). No resources required.

I think this still works very well.

> * The draft penalty reduced to 10 turns. (Helps the AI's too, they draft a ton).

Doesn't seem needed, or to fit in to the no-culture theme.

> * All great leaders must be used to build armies!
Gone. Although depending on wonder rules, you might not have much else to do.

> * Pillaging of lands and attacking of enemy units in the field or ships at sea may be done by any units without restriction.
> * A Minoan Bull unit -OR- an army must be present to oversee any attacks on enemy cities. (They must be adjacent to the target city when any attacks are initiated -- they are not required to participate in the attack).

Doesn't even have to be stated, this one is just out. All such city and unit
restrictions are just gone, off the table.

> * We are Xenophobic about enemy culture. We do not capture enemy cities. Ever.
> They must all be burned to the ground.

Works for me. But do you make it a rule or a "jolly DARN good idea" given our
extreme propensity to flip?

> * An army unit must be the first attacker vs any enemy capital! ...
Hmm, was about to auto-toss this one out, but... it's not a bad idea actually.
Can stay or go, afaic.

> * Military and Industrious as Charis suggested, starting techs Warrior Code and Bronze Working as Charis suggested.

Since we're using a scenario file, that's a good choice.

> * Conquest is our only acceptable victory condition. Whether or not to disable any other conditions to be decided. Any result besides a conquest victory means a loss. (If domination is not disabled, we would have to avoid controlling too much land. If culture is not disabled, we would have to avoid accumulating too much culture in our capitals).

I would disable domination, in case we do choose to 'fill in' razed empty land
with our own. I would give AI's a chance with diplo and culture, but if disabled
I wouldn't mind.

> * Instead of replacing the Chinese, let's replace the Zulu's and make sure that Egypt is in the game, so we draw the black color. (Or I can just designate us as black, but then everyone would have to install the color fix files to enable extra colors).
> * No France in the game, to soothe poor Carbon Copy's nerves.

Practical rather than substantive suggestions, and fine.

> I can do the mod in half an hour, but I would need a complete list of Cretan city names and Great Leader names.

You can use the list from my last post.

Basically, the new rules should reflect a total focus on the challenge of
no culture. There's added "interest" from changing civ name and UU, but
they're no longer 'central' features with rules around them.

Comments??
Charis

PS - > (I am wondering what you're thinking in the infantry game, sending the
leader home -- home to do what? The UN's worthless, what we need is more armies
in the field!) -- It was just a few turns away from next leaders' hands, and
I wanted to let him decide. Now Marines are an option for the army, they were
not at his birth. I also wasn't sure if Manhattan was a thought, or if diplo
was disabled)

I'm definitely in for this, if you will have me. My only request is not to make me play until I can get a dot map. I really have trouble figuring out how to deal with the first 60 turns of game or so. Alternatively I can go in then and you can all try to deal with the results, increasing the difficulty for the rest of you.:nuke: Whatever you want works here.

Originally posted by Charis
Jaffa, I'm still up for an army game, but would like to see it done up as
a key and strong focus of the game. Think about all the issues mentioned here,
and at any point you come up with a good plan and/or a mod that really brings
out the army, I'm in. :D Do be aware that without mods, you're in a position
where bad luck equals no combat until industrial age, at all, and even then
the number of armies you'll have running around will be insufficient to the task.

Yes, I plan on doing this, though I think I'll wait a bit for the current crop of 'just starting up' games to sort themselves out.

I haven't looked in the editor at all, so this will be a good excuse to do that :) One idea I have had, and don't know if it's possible, would be to give every Civ a Great Leader as an additional starting unit.

--
Jaffa

Jaffa, you might rather give them an army as a starting unit. A GL could easily be used to rush Pyramids or an FP (RBD2 anyone?) :)

You could also see if you could make every goody hut contain an army. :hammer:

I like the game rules as specified. I think a gung-ho army game would be nice as well. Some thoughts.....

I think the idea of razing all cities is a good one. We will either have to slow down to fill in with our own settlers or we will have to put up with fillers from other civs. It will take more settlers for us to fill things in than it will for them. However, since the AI won't know we have restricted ourselves to no culture, they will still use their normal spacing.

The only things we will have to keep our people happy will be the luxes and lux tax. I usually try to keep the slider as low as I can, but in this case we may need all the help we can get and it wouldn't hurt to see a few WLTxD bonuses either (enough cities can grow). I think we will (at least to start) run pretty lean on the tech rate anyway and get most of those by force.

The diplo and culture victories would be OK, but I would prefer if we turned off dom as trying to guess about percent coverage is tricky. Of course we have lots o' small cities and may have to stop building more just so the management doesn't take forever.

Thw no-culture rule will change what techs are important to snag early as well. Almost seems that Monarchy would be first or maybe construction. We should have plenty of troops to garrison with early.

Questions:
1) Can we use culture wonders to prebuild? If not we may need to save some of those GLs to rush the wonders we realy want.

2) If the razing of all cities is not mandatory, then is it OK to try and keep a city that has a culture wonder in it? This would seem to go against the no-culture theme. I think mandatory raze is better.

Thoughts?

Personally, I'm not much of a mind for either sorts of games, Cretan OR Army. I don't know about you guys, but I'm still engaged to a good degree by just the normal game, and I've yet to actually finish a single SP game (unless you count early game retirements if I don't like the map). Probably about the farthest that I'm willing to handicap myself right now would be along the lines of RBD6 or Infantry, omnibus compound variant games like RBD5 hold no real interest for me (though I'm glad that the people who are playing that one enjoy it).

I've been following this more to see what sort of modified scenario emerges from this than out of interest in actually playing it. Since I put away RBD3 last night (no real restrictive rules, just a restrictive attitude) and RBD4 (no holds barred) finished earlier this week, there aren't any "just play the game" RBD games going anymore. So, I may start another straightforward Emperor game, or maybe a Slave Trader game on Monarch if I can figure out a good mechanism to govern how many or how few workers we'd be required to sell away. Sirian and Charis may have about 10 irons in their fire right now, but I am only in Infantry (where we're slowly but surely moving towards global conquest), and RBD 10 (which is still one turn away from me)

Here's a test... Imaging yourself in the French Artillery game rbd5. You're about
to sack a city but find yourself short an attacker. Do you...
a) Virtually cry out "Ye shall not stand up to the might of the glorious
Musketeer onslaught which shall ravage your ruininous village!!"
Then do you muffle a squeal of elation as he wins?!
b) Cry out "Darn iditioc rule! Why on earth would I attack a size 7 city with
a strength 3 attacker! This makes no sense!" Then grumpingly attack and when
he wins say "Hmmm, well that was lucky."

I don't believe that's the line. :)

It's a matter of symmetry. Your symmetry seems to lie along the RPG element. I think of it as the "Lemming Factor". You pick a characterization theme and bend everything to it. You (seem to) live for the moments when you can specifically do something a little wacky, then role play the result come what may. And there is plenty of challenge in making things work, it's not weedy BY DESIGN, just occasionally in result. Lots of humor.

But your Player B in your example is pretty humorless, and that wouldn't fit me at all. 1) I wouldn't attack if the odds were bad. 2) I would have brought more to the party in the first place. 3) If I hadn't brought enough to the party, it's because I'm blitzing, pushing for more than I thought I could reach initially. Refer to point One. 4) If I did attack, it would be in the spirit of Player A, because I DO appreciate the role play and the humor and lightness of it -- just not enough to make my entire game about a nonstop chain of such events.

My symmetry lies along the functional plane. Let's take Ember for example. I say, "I want a challenge!" I pick one: firebolt. Here's my list of rules:

1) Fire Tree Only for skills.
2) Firebolt Only for attack.
3) Low Strength.
4) Blaze Staff for Duriel, Starting Staff otherwise.
5) Um... Firebolt only?

OK, so four rules. Those rules intersect to create a pretty stiff set of restrictions. Didn't need to add any more, but I would have to hone the gameplay result if those weren't enough to force the kind of gameplay/challenge I wanted to undertake.

Plenty of room for humor, wacky moments, big risks, and full tilt characterization. But the foundation is the kinetic elegance of the result, completing the whole game with the least of the tools available to (at the time) the least valued of the classes.

That was the focus of the variant: the test. The rest breathes depth into it.

To me, that kinetic elegance -- a gameplay element as focus, and the challenges of mastering that element -- is essential. The characterization may be essential or may not be, but I WRITE for a living, you must remember. I can't dispose of that part of me that continually demands "what's my motivation here" from any characterization I step into. Let's call it the difference between characterization and caricaturization. To me, you seem to revel in the latter, and that's the point past which you've lost me. :)

For my suspension of disbelief, the rules set has to make sense through a characterization, not a caricature. Not that I don't enjoy a good caricature, but I don't enjoy them enough to make them the priority more than occasionally, nor to commit to one that compromises some functional element that I have a ken to explore.

I look at no culture and see a gameplay challenge. I work with characters and fictional elements, and don't necessarily need to dive into them for entertainment. I want to compete. I want to compete against the game under this rule set, not necessarily to see if I can win (though some real risk of loss is there, it won't be quite on the order of the Deity game) but for the flavor of the exploration and for the strategic gains that may lie therein.

You seem (to me) to look at the no culture as a rich bed of characterization and caricaturization opportunities. I can grasp that, I just don't relate on the appeal it holds for you.

But there is one thing you said that I found fault with, and that was that you wanted the army element to come in in the late game after the no-culture element burns out. I don't believe it will burn out at all. The threat of LOSING THE GAME may burn out or fade away at the industrial point, but that's just the flaws in the game design, the weaknesses of the AI in coping with later game elements. That's going to happen regardless. The challenge of the no-culture civ may in fact be richer and deeper in the later stages of the game, especially in terms of tech handling once our city razings have made us the scum of the earth, diplomatically, and as our culture hole grows deeper and deeper.

In other words, I don't see a vacuum there at all. There is no hole, functionally speaking, in the projected results of the interaction of rules limiting culture and defining our civ, which would require the army variant on top of it to make it fun. Rather the opposite, the restrictions would indeed seem weedy to me from a functional standpoint, although I could justify them as role play elements UP TO the point I laid out. Beyond that point, they compromise the kinetic elegance and diminish the no culture paradigm, subordinating it to the other variant idea. When the roleplay element is your focus, you don't care about that. ANY elements that offer fertile ground for a caricature would do. To the degree we can fit both competition and caricature onto the same page, we can blend, but there are times when the two aren't going to mix.

The point where it seems to go way out into left field for me, though, is when I lose sense even of the caricature. The D1 Amazon doesn't hold logic for me even at that level. You've got a series of tests laid out (what? about ten of them? fifteen?) EACH with their own set of rules two or three times more complex than the totality of the Ember rules. Where's the symmetry? The only pattern I could find there (not saying there isn't one, but that -I- could find) was, in fact, bent around the GAMEPLAY elements, not the characterization at all, but on the plane (once again) of the restrictor plate: regulating the speed of the exercise. To what end? It seemed to me just to be there to stretch it out, to add length but nothing more, while maintaining a specific degree of challenge that appealed to you on a gameplay level -- to give you some reason to hold the caricature together longer? Or to extend the time at which you could continue at a certain speed with a certain degree of challenge that entertained you? I don't know. (You guys wrung way more life out of D1 than it ever had on its own, even with maximum variant exploration).

When I start to see rules in a Civ variant design that seem to add nothing more than length, I get pictures in my head of the dichotomy of Lemmy in the EST beta rushing rushing ahead through whole areas "he's bored with", playing against the backdrop of this player "beating his head against the wall" with another instance of him in the D2X beta, literally dozens of deaths at some other (in my view) equally functional part of the game, of no greater challenge than the area he dispensed with, wholeheartedly enthusiastically caricturizing the results, and pushing through to a victory of attrition because he had unlimited lives and the big tough AI opponents did not. The only thing I can figure is that the moments of caricaturization of the one section are all played out, but this other area was entirely new at the time and still holds some lines, jokes, and wacky moments yet to be exhausted? If that's not it, then I have no clue WHY there was no fun HERE but lots of fun THERE. From a functional perspective, there was virtually no difference.

So where, I ask, is the appeal in the idea of unit restriction? What does requiring a musketeer to be present to fire a cannon add BESIDES slowing the game (without influencing the likely result) and adding more chance to caricaturize? Clue me in. :) Or is that enough -- in fact, the sole motivation -- and the more of it the better?

The reason I ask about the Musketeers is this: you claim your intent was to feature "underused units". Fine. BUT... how are you featuring them? Are you putting them on the table and pushing them to their limits? No. You've put them on the table as a caricature. We're not restricted to artillery and muskets, and having to wring strategy out of them. We just have to have them present (to offer comic relief? Hey, I'm not making fun, now, just wondering) while our normal units behave normally. That, to me, is not "featuring" the units, nor is it characterization. Some things may be learned about them, but this sort of "featuring" runs counter to my sense of kinetic elegance. Once you made it clear that the caricaturization was in fact your goal, and you were not functionally trying to feature the artillery, I was fine with it. I can obey any set of rules, and get into the "damn the torpedoes, our glorious M'eers are coming to trample you" moods, too. Just can't do that AND also pursue a functional exploration, in the same game.

That's why I brought all of this up: to figure out which was going to be the focus here, the functionality of no-culture elements, or the "other part" that holds your fascination and defines RBD. It could not be both.

- Sirian

Now for the rules:

If we keep the default 40 turn draft penalty, you can't be pulling an RBD5-style massive draft of units, that would sink our civ. With us razing every city, we won't suffer the inherited draft penalties the AI's accumulate when we take their cities, so lightening the draft penalty would primarily make the game HARDER by doing less permanent damage to the AI cities when they do their inevitable draftings. I'm OK either way, so it would depend on what the team wants.

Let's make razing cities the rule.

As for wonders... my functional symmetry says, "No wonders, at all, makes sense. OR... wonders that match our civ traits makes sense." It does not say, "Militarisitic wonders only, makes sense."

How hard do you want hard to get? No wonders, clearly, would be harder. If we're going to put functional wonders on the table, a granary in every city or a beatiful garden that soothes the minds of our people, or a dam that supplies power to all our factories, makes as much sense to a no culture civ on a functional level as a war academy or the heroic epic.

My point being that a NO-culture-civ is not possible anyway. Just having a palace, our own set of laws, and our own way of life, would give us a culture. It might be shallow, but it would exist. So it's only the functional elements of it that matters here. The theme would rather be "centralized culture" with all culture in our two capital cities. How much to allow there is open to debate.

How do we want the game to play out?

I'm personally more interested in the lack of city borders and happiness factors. The lack of science and the diplo penalties are interesting side effects, but the city management is what has my blood pumping.

So how hard of hard do we want? Those participating, please vote on the following options:

1) NO culture. Palace and FP, nothing else.
2) Limited wonders: all small wonders, any militaristic and industrious greater wonders, but ONLY in the two capital cities.
3) Limited improvements: no wonders but palaces, however things like libraries/temples allowed ONLY in the two capitals.
4) 2+3 combined, only non-related greater wonders off the table.
5) Any culture allowed in the two capitals, all wonders on the table.

If we choose option 1, I don't want to be playing Emperor. :)

If Charis desires to stretch the game (restrictor plate) we can simply play with more land. Same effect without caricature. Likewise, if we want harder, or to be pressed up against space race and cultural losses, more land would make it harder.

What map size and how much land do we want?

Finally, the army-capital rule. I say let's keep it. This would require us to field an army to eliminate rivals.

- Sirian

I would vote for 2 or 4 with a preference for 2.

I would also vote for a larger map (not huge) and more land. I may shoot myself 3/4 of the way through when we start to get over run with city management chores.

Ok, we're close! Nothing left but options to pick, no substantive differences on this game :p

- 40 turn draft or reduced?
Doesn't matter. I don't 'get it' on the 10. Mind you I read the words and understand them, just not clicking. But really, fine either way.

> Let's make razing cities the rule.
Nod

> As for wonders... my functional symmetry says, "No wonders, at
> all, makes sense. OR... wonders that match our civ traits makes
> sense." It does not say, "Militarisitic wonders only, makes sense."

Functional symmetry. This sheds some light. As written, that makes perfect sense. It's just also miles away from how I approach it. :p I picture the civ, try to think about who they are, what makes them tick, what drives them. In the original concept they were 100% cut-them-they-bleed-khaki militaristic. They were industrialist almost as an afterthought. A secondary characteristic at best. With *this* backdrop, the only rule that made even a hint of sense (besides 'no wonder') was 'pure military wonders' only. It's not that their anti-culture, it's just that they see the need for what the world calls culture as relevant as how I see the need for hair mousse. Culture, as defined by the world, played zero role in their decisions, but military prowess did. They were a people 'picked' on and derided as Cretans for so long, they had enough and are set to conquer the world. Caricature? You can call it that if you want :p

I'm fine with either - let the others who chime in have the call here, and yes, it's primarily a 'how hard' issue. Anywhere from 1-5 is equally fine. Something between 1 and 2 that breaks functional symmetry is what makes most sense in my mind's eye, but that's irrelevant.

> If we choose option 1, I don't want to be playing Emperor.
Eep... uh... the original game was slated as Monarch. Were you thinking Emperor? (Another 'how hard you want' issue) Was your initial testing that found it 'really hard' on Mon or Emp?

> If Charis desires to stretch the game (restrictor plate) we can
> simply play with more land. Same effect without caricature.
Same 'effect' without caricature???? Wow, I must be far, further out in space around here than I thought! Why on earth would I ever suggest (cough) restrictor plate withOUT some solid role-playing reason why??? The description of unit restrictions as mere throttling down, or restrictor plate, is **so** off as to leave me dumbfounded. If I try to put on your shoes I guess I can see it that way... it's just that... those shoes make my feet hurt :D
(I hope it's obvious that's no slam, just noting a very broad difference)

Brief notes on the other post...
> I think of it as the "Lemming Factor"
Actually this term helps some. A lot almost. There are a HOST of things that Lemming comes up with that I just look at and stare blankly. He's really into it, but for the life of me I just can't grasp it. I read the words, but... just... don't... get it. In any case, I love playing with him, he's a great teammate, and I'm thrilled he gets so much enjoyment out of his characters. If I replace the two actors in that skit, things make more sense. :p
(And oops, my bad, on portraying the other person as humorless or lacking in role play. It was too strong a... caricature)

I'm curious on something - did you ever play and did you like a "Beyond Naked Mage". The very father of all variants, unarguably the most popular, and a decent challenge. And yet, it's one I never really 'got'. Literally because it's *basis* was "I want a challenge" and the character (not the player, the character) seems to do things tougher just for the sake of making them tougher. Ember was precisely one that came to mind as a "Sirianesque" variant :p I'm glad you shared some of the thinking that went behind it.

> I look at no culture and see a gameplay challenge. I work with
> characters and fictional elements, and don't necessarily need to
> dive into them for entertainment. I want to compete.
Nod, that's becoming clearer. And that's cool. I look at no culture and I think "What a bunch of Cretans", and I go off and look up what I can about their culture, and I'm fascinated by some of their legendary myths, and I think, what a GREAT RPG element!! A civilization that is strong and virtuous, and yet... is shunned by the entire world because it places no value *whatsoever* on the things they call the 'epitome' of culture. Their destiny is to show that their lifestyle, their pride and joy warbeast, and their glorious armies can overrun these so-called 'high culture' civilizations. We'll show them!!! :hammer:

=)

Compete?? I don't want to compete, except against myself. I want my civ, my people, my caricature, to compete, and overcome great odds, and do things that make for epics and legends. But Charis? He's just a humble servant. (I also love to take some aspect or unit I'm totally unskilled with and learn some new strategy)

> I want to compete against the game under this rule set, not
> necessarily to see if I can win (though some real risk of loss is
> there, it won't be quite on the order of the Deity game) but
> for the flavor of the exploration and for the strategic gains
> that may lie therein.

Actually despite coming into it from 180 degree angles, that's surprisingly close!

> You seem (to me) to look at the no culture as a rich bed of
> characterization and caricaturization opportunities. I can grasp
> that, I just don't relate on the appeal it holds for you.

Thank you! To be grasped is enough, that'll work :love:

> The point where it seems to go way out into left field for me
> though, is when I lose sense even of the caricature. The D1
> Amazon doesn't hold logic for me even at that level.
This fits the Lemming analogy with me in the other shoes. It's enough to know he loves his 'way out in LF' characters, I'm ok with not understanding. The D1 AMZ was from what I could tell, a love/hate thing. I've several folks slam it, and several think it absolutely the best thing since sliced bread. It's a "you get it or you don't thing," and I'll leave it at that :p

> So where, I ask, is the appeal in the idea of unit restriction?
> What does requiring a musketeer to be present to fire a
> cannon add BESIDES slowing the game (without influencing the
> likely result) and adding more chance to caricaturize? Clue me
> in. Or is that enough -- in fact, the sole motivation -- and the
> more of it the better?

Ah, precisely! Attempting to slow things down for no reason would be as painful to it is to you. Actually, there were FOUR reasons: i) the musketeer is frankly, objectively speaking,
a worthless unit, and in the 1.16 world, was literally far worse
than the musketman cuz it stranded your pikes. without SOME restriction in place, the 'lifetime' of the Musketeer in game terms is miniscule. With no upgrade into them by the time you have sufficient number you batch upgrade them to rifles. So it's to keep on making use of M'eers, long past their 'standard' usefulness.
ii) pure RPG (or caricature) reasons. For some of us, this is sufficient reason for being, for others a welcome side effect *as long as* it does not harm functional symmetry.
iii) it's really *NOT* any *major* functional limitation at all! Actually, for me this is a common element in my kind of variants, taking something that seems on the surface insane, or way too restrictive, and by taking a closer look at it, it's just not so bad! My D2X necromancer who was a skel/revivie-less archer/CE/fire golem specialist was exactly like this. For role play and for novelty, he was WAY way out there in left field, and violently ridiculed in the few pubbie games he went in. And yet, when it turned out that "ya know, this is actually a *viable* and highly effective non-cookie-cutter necro", it was a source of unending joy for me. I don't think it had much if any of a slowing effect at all.
iv) not only from a carcicature standpoint does requiring a 'talented gunnery seargeant' highlight the artillery, but gameplay-wise, making heavy use of M'eers as *offensive city-taking units* requires you to really, really, pound the heck out of your foes before taking on the city. Without the artillery, M'eers as city-sackers are a pathetic joke, but with... ah... tis glorious.

You suggested that this didn't push things enough? Why not restrict our units to arti and Meer? That's precisely the type of restriction I would never do :p Seriously. It's logical, symmetric, has an elegant simplicity, and Emberesque (in a good sense!!).
The four benefits stated are truly enough to make me giggle with glee. (On the inside mind you... on the outside I'm a stone-faced very, very non-wacky person typing with no visible emotion visible) And I get the added RPG element of this, having a powerful attack force of two dozen howitzers, a six pack of modern armor, and an enemy capitol just RIPE for the taking, surrounded, and the Lt.Commander in charge yelling "For the love of all that is holy!!! Somebody get Musketeer Jean Paul over here, and NOW!! I don't care if he has to ride the rail all across country and leave Athos undefended for a turn, we need him now or this war is going to fall apart!!!" :smoke:

> That's why I brought all of this up: to figure out which was
> going to be the focus here, the functionality of no-culture
> elements, or the "other part" that holds your fascination and
> defines RBD. It could not be both.
Exactly right. What was 'going' to be the focus was the latter, but I think it best serves the players showing interest to split the latter type of game into two, and to focus on the Cretanism. :p

Phew... I actually started this post intending to only make comments on the rules. I think we've both stated our viewpoints very clearly and kindly, have noted an impasse, and have side stepped it to find a new avenue of agreement in pushing no culture to its limits. But I couldn't resist taking one last shot at clarifying my thoughts. Not in any way hoping to win over you or anyone, but just to better forge better understanding :cool:

Thanks for the dialogue. On to the game!!!!
Charis

Top Bottom